Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

I sat through a 7 hour training session yesterday where the presenter used a mouse and keyboard with mspaint (not the new 3dpaint version which it was telling him to use in the upper corner) to whiteboard network diagrams on a new surface pro by cut and paste I was living in that one loving achewood strip and the surface is a failed platform

lol at everything here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

7 hour training session

and here i was thinking my two afternoons-long first aid course was bad

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

if your company offers an all day course called "crucial conversations" it's actually worth taking imo

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

yeah modern iphone with noise cancelling and modern signal processing literally means you have way better voice quality with more stable calls while using less power

people who thinks older phones has better reception or voice quality are idiots

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
gsm voice quality was total garbage ten years ago. it was the tdma spread spectrum phones that had decent voice quality.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

The Management posted:

apple was still bitter at Motorola for all those years of delivering underperforming PowerPC chips, late, and with terrible yields. this was their last gently caress you to ed Zander.

it was this

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

qirex posted:

it's important to remember that at the time the iphone came out blackberry, nokia series 60 and windows mobile were locked in a titanic struggle for market dominance and the sidekick was a niche device for weird nerds and "urbans," the idea of a general purpose wireless internet device was relegated to niche devices like the nokia 770 or weird psions and zauri

nokia internet tablet nerd checking in, totally thought that my 800 was a pro move

ty for remembering us

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

hell yeah

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Hail Satan

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
gently caress yeah, metal.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
I'm the m icon they got from excitebike

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Encrypted posted:

yeah modern iphone with noise cancelling and modern signal processing literally means you have way better voice quality with more stable calls while using less power

people who thinks older phones has better reception or voice quality are idiots

I remember I used to put my Blackberry near a sound source and it would generate all sorts of weird sounds when it received a call

Wonder what that did to my brain

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
hello, i have a friend who wants to buy a used mac. how long do they receive software updates? like apparently 2011 imacs still have the latest macos, but are are they about to drop out or...?

also any other gotchas?

they can't afford a new mac, don't want a windows computer and have been using linux for a decade and are fed up with it.

my uneducated recommendation was to buy some used thing and put an ssd into it

pram
Jun 10, 2001
my parents use a black 2008 macbook and it has sierra on it so im pretty sure 2011 onwards shouldnt have any issues

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

pram posted:

my parents use a black 2008 macbook and it has sierra on it so im pretty sure 2011 onwards shouldnt have any issues

drat there are blackbooks still out there?

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

yeah if it's a 64 bit intel then you're good to go

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Millstone posted:

drat there are blackbooks still out there?
i used a beigebook some time ago

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Wheany posted:

hello, i have a friend who wants to buy a used mac. how long do they receive software updates? like apparently 2011 imacs still have the latest macos, but are are they about to drop out or...?

also any other gotchas?

my uneducated recommendation was to buy some used thing and put an ssd into it

upgrading the drive on an iMac is a world of hurt. find a YouTube video of someone doing it and just see how long it is. 2011 is on the cusp of being dropped. it will probably get one or two years of updates before being retired.
do not get anything with less than 8 gigs of ram and an ssd or fusion drive. your best bet for old performance for the buck is a MacBook Air

quote:

they can't afford a new mac, ... have been using linux for a decade

Linux, time worthless. the math checks out.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Agile Vector posted:

nokia internet tablet nerd checking in, totally thought that my 800 was a pro move

ty for remembering us

:same:

nokia 770/800 crew represent

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

THC posted:

yeah if it's a 64 bit intel then you're good to go

not if it has a gma950

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

The Management posted:

Linux, time worthless. the math checks out.

that's a really cool thing to say to someone who can't afford a more expensive computer

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

The bigger problem is you say they are fed up with Linux but want them to buy yet another Linux computer

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Wheany posted:

that's a really cool thing to say to someone who can't afford a more expensive computer

he was just savagely comboing his username

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
im annoyed by dongles. what do i buy to make my new iphone 7 plus (📱) able to connect to my car for charging and playing of music (🎶)???

also: whats the best solution to carrying a aux/lighting dongle everywhere since i keep forgetting it and am unable to do anything ?!

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

getting in on Satanic Apples

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

obstipator posted:

im annoyed by dongles. what do i buy to make my new iphone 7 plus (📱) able to connect to my car for charging and playing of music (🎶)???

also: whats the best solution to carrying a aux/lighting dongle everywhere since i keep forgetting it and am unable to do anything ?!

buy a new car

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

obstipator posted:

buy a bluetooth receiver that plugs into your aux. then plug your phone in when it needs to be charged, or if it doesn't need to be charged, you don't have to plug anything in and can just play music over bluetooth

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

why did you get the donglephone instead of an se?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Boiled Water posted:

why did you get the donglephone instead of an se?

because he is not an old clinging to antiquities

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
hail steve

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

my car has mylink but I find it easier to plug in than to wait for Bluetooth to connect

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

i have uconnect and sometimes it just can't talk to my iphone

kinda jank

but thats when i start fiddling - so i just leave it now and eventually the BT hooks up

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

cinci zoo sniper posted:

because he is not an old clinging to antiquities

get off my lawn of digital antiquities

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

i have some cheap goGroove BT receiver from 2011 that connects immediately and flawlessly to my iphone every time i start my car

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Agile Vector posted:

ty for remembering us

I had a 770 and using it at a cafe in paris in 2006 to chat with my friends back in the us was like super :pcgaming:

never really used it after that trip though

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
my blueteeth dont connect automatically when i get in my car. i have to go to bluetooth settings and connect to BT35 everytime. it annoying and slow and Sad! and then i forget i have it on later and my battery drains. too much work. i want one plug to rule them all - plug that charges phone and plays audio instantly with the snap of ur fingers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

my car automatically plays when I plug in the lightning cable

• Locked thread