Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Railing Kill posted:

But the last dozen episodes all suffer from the same thing as the Section 31 problem above: it's a lot of good world-building, but just way too late to really bake into the series. In the last dozen episodes, Enterprise has fleshed out Vulcans, Romulans, Klingons, Andorians, Tellerites, The Orion Syndicate, and Section 31. While all of this has been good, it's also too little, too late. This series could have been great if this was season one. :(

Someone will have to correct me if I'm remembering the timing wrong, but those episodes could've been produced and in the can before they knew for sure they were getting cancelled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

The walls are pretty bare, but what are your specific complaints on this one? I don't think I've seen you talk about the TMP consoles before.

They had to lower the floor lighting to something like 20 foot-candles so that the lights on the consoles would actually register in the camera. Why did they have to do this? Because the buttons on the consoles were melting, so the electricity had to be reduced. Makes one wonder what quality of craftsmen had been hired -- and if Wise was firing the right people. I mean, when you let the look of your movie be dictated by that era's state-of-the-art version of Christmas tree lights, you're doing something seriously wrong. Wise replacing Joe Jennings with Michelson as the PD was a huge boner.

Delsaber posted:

Someone will have to correct me if I'm remembering the timing wrong, but those episodes could've been produced and in the can before they knew for sure they were getting cancelled.

It wasn't official but right after the show was renewed for the fourth year, it was made clear in no uncertain terms to Berman, Braga and Coto that the fourth season was a gift, and unless Enterprise suddenly became the most popular show on television, that was going to be that. Coto was still developing stories for a fifth season (and, boy howdy, were they loving stupid) in the event of a miracle, but everyone knew the show was a dead man walking.

Timby fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jun 15, 2017

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

I've always wondered this:

what bizarre episode of trek does your avatar refer to???

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Martha Stewart Undying posted:

I think it's just Space Moose doing what Space Moose does

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

James Moosehan finally had it with William Shantler.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

The walls are pretty bare, but what are your specific complaints on this one? I don't think I've seen you talk about the TMP consoles before.

Also, still better than the dogshit on Nemesis:

Starfleet awarded the bid that year to the Daystrom Institute's competitor who put in their knockoff version of LCARS, NO1CURRS.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Trip report: DS9 season 2, episode 19 "Blood Oath"

Even taking into account the fact that I don't for a second buy Jadzia as a competent fighter, I enjoyed the heck out of this one. It made my day when I recognized John Colicos as Kor, and then saw at least Koloth was also the original actor. Kang too? I've seen Babylon 5 more recently than TOS so I recognized him more as the Technomage sought out by Londo, but I seem to be able to place him in the TOS episode where the energy being is feeding on their hostility.

Anyway I hadn't remembered, or maybe never realized at original airing, that they had gotten the same actors back for the Klingons, so that made the whole episode for me even though it would've been an average Worf episode on TNG or if he were around yet here.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Astroman posted:

Starfleet awarded the bid that year to the Daystrom Institute's competitor who put in their knockoff version of LCARS, NO1CURRS.

:downsbravo:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Timby posted:

They had to lower the floor lighting to something like 20 foot-candles so that the lights on the consoles would actually register in the camera. Why did they have to do this? Because the buttons on the consoles were melting, so the electricity had to be reduced. Makes one wonder what quality of craftsmen had been hired -- and if Wise was firing the right people. I mean, when you let the look of your movie be dictated by that era's state-of-the-art version of Christmas tree lights, you're doing something seriously wrong. Wise replacing Joe Jennings with Michelson as the PD was a huge boner.

I thought the lighting problem was due to the fact that on TMP they went with rear-projection film for the console graphics (which as I recall from Return to Tomorrow were their own unending boondoggle) and they couldn't make the projectors bright enough. Then on TWOK they went to tape-driven CRTs.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

So when is Discovery being canceled again?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Watching Samaritan Snare. Geordi's apprentice from the last episode is back. Was she added because they wanted a noob who wasn't the reviled Wesley?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Oh my fuckin god

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Oh my fuckin god

Oh, you're in for such a treat. :allears:

Paging poster Pakled to the thread, poster Pakled to the thread. It's your moment.

By the way, please keep posting your impressions as they occur, they're loving great to read.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Oh so this is Picard's heart somebody mentioned when I brought up cyber.

"Our Betazoid counselor is often aware of things beyond our perceptive abilities"

That's about as ham-fisted as dialogue can get.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I can't stand this. Each scene with the Pakleds is worse than Code of Honor. They're such a dumb person's idea of a dumb person.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

"We need our chief engineer back on our ship"

Maybe you should have listened to Worf, dumbass

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Hey now, the Pakleds aren't dumb, they just don't speak well because they didn't evolve to communicate that way, so their brains and vocal cords aren't adapted to speech. :colbert:

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

WHAT HAHAHAHA

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I liked this episode when I was a kid because I didn't realize it was a ripoff of The Corbomite Maneuver

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

This was when Geordi got phasered.

So the theme is Picard is extremely concerned with his image but he's letting a young ensign ask him questions about loneliness.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Picard's story about his wild youth just reminds me of how little Wesley ever acts like a teenager.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Get them OFF the SCREEN

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

"Make us strong"

This episode seems to have some kind of moral lesson about how you shouldn't steal technology from more advanced species but, how can you even apply that to real life.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

The fat Pakled that walks by the camera as the scene opens is the show stealer

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

The Pakleds just stare frozen on the screen for like 15 seconds.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

They are smart

Jeb! Repetition posted:

This episode seems to have some kind of moral lesson about how you shouldn't steal technology from more advanced species but, how can you even apply that to real life.

I think the moral is "don't underestimate people" but maybe I'm giving the episode too much credit.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Please tell me they never show up again.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The B plot comes up again (in a very good episode in I think season 6) but I don't think the A plot ever does

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
I'm sure to the Q Continuum, we all look the same.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Kesper North posted:

I'm sure to the Q Continuum, we all look the same.

Coincidentally, when I first watched "Pakleds," I thought, "This has to be some sort of Q bullshit. There's no way this is real."

:negative:

Anyway, I just started ENT's "In a Mirror Darkly." I absolutely hate the MU poo poo in DS9.

That said, the alternative title sequence for ENT is loving amazing.

So far, so good...

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Maybe Discovery will bring back the Pakleds. :allears:

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

A Pakled prequel story could actually work. Just imagine how dumb and forgettable the 23rd Century Pakled would have been. You could completely get around the "why haven't they heard of them before" problem because they'd basically just be "Primitive Rock Farmers #78194," so who would even remember them?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Pakleds show up in the background occasionally on DS9.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Grand Fromage posted:

Pakleds show up in the background occasionally on DS9.

No those were bajorans, tho its easy to confuse treks two dumbest peoples.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Guys, if you're not following Roddy Doyle's Star Trek on Facebook, you should.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

No those were bajorans, tho its easy to confuse treks two dumbest peoples.

:catstare:

Finished "In a Mirror Darkly." Loved it. Season four of Enterprise continues its relentless campaign of "look at how cool this could have been if we didn't fart around for two seasons."

Looks like the last plot series is up next. I'm tempted to not watch "These are the Voyages" because prior to this run through, that was the only episode I had seen and I know how much it sucks. (I was staying with a buddy for a week back when it aired and watched it when he did. I had only seen a dozen TNG episodes and a handful of TOS episodes at the time and had no specific interest in Trek.)

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Jeb! Repetition posted:

The Pakleds just stare frozen on the screen for like 15 seconds.

The lead Pakled is a guy named Christopher Collins, who did the voice for Starscream and Cobra Commander.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

shamelessly stolen from YOSPOS..

https://twitter.com/annetdonahue/status/875331105767010305/photo/1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Please tell me they never show up again.

Spoilered, just in case anyone cares about 27-year-old plot twists:

After Datalore, Lore was rescued by a Pakled ship, and shows up in one of their outfits. We can assume he murdered the poo poo out of them.

EDIT - Haha, holy poo poo: (not spoilered)

Memory Alpha posted:

The Pakleds were originally to have been led by him in the sixth season two-parter "Descent" and "Descent, Part II", though they were ultimately replaced with the Borg in that pair of episodes. (TV Zone, issue 61, p. 38)

After The War fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jun 15, 2017