Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

corn in the bible posted:

people make fun of mass effect andromeda but it's way better than da 2 or 3

its sad because dao was a great game and they threw everything good about it away in a futile attempt to sell even more copies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Mordja posted:

I gotta wonder, with the Metroidvania genre having been pretty well served these last few years by indie devs, is a new SOTN-like really that exciting to people anymore?

I am. I wouldn't mind playing a few new metroidvanias every single year.

I would be happy playing new SRPGs and metroidvanias all the time instead anything else if they just released enough of them.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jun 15, 2017

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I'm excited for Bloodstained and it's going to be good

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

precision posted:

Jesus that beyond good and evil 2 trailer is terrrrrrrrrrible. I mean holy poo poo. Makes sunset overdrive look restrained

I liked it a lot but I also knew there wasn't much game behind it so it was a "look at the pretty colors" situation. I hoped Ancel had been working on the actual game for at least a little while, but apparently not?

Also I got bored with DAI pretty quickly but a lot of people love that game a lot and I'm still not entirely sure why.

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Jun 15, 2017

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

oddium posted:

do you work at book barn

nope

Mordja posted:

I gotta wonder, with the Metroidvania genre having been pretty well served these last few years by indie devs, is a new SOTN-like really that exciting to people anymore?

i really want bloodstained to be good

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Looper posted:

i really want bloodstained to be good

it will be!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Mordja posted:

Yeah because all the indie ones I've played so far suck rear end

Apart from Ori and maybe a couple of others I haven't played yet like Hollow Knight and Rabi Ribi

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

stop playing the bad ones and play the good ones instead

they're in your post you know their names what's the deal

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Waiting for the Switch version of Hollow Knight and PS4 Rabi Ribi

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
*looks up rabi ribi's steam page* go on...

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Mak0rz posted:

it will be!

(Not the graphics or art direction though.)

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

The last good one I've played was Axiom Verge and boy it was hella good

mutata posted:

(Not the graphics or art direction though.)

Yeah probably.

I want to say that it won't matter to me but that's probably not the case because the art style of Zero Mission is one of the reasons why I don't like it as much as I should.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Jun 15, 2017

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I'm easily confused, is Hollow Knight the newest entry in the Shovel Knight series?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Snak posted:

I'm easily confused, is Hollow Knight the newest entry in the Shovel Knight series?

There's no connection other than having Knight in the title

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Oh poo poo. Since shovel knight kept having different expansion/sequels like Plague Knight, I just thought Hollow Knight was the next one.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

There's also going to be Risky mode for Shantae at some relatively soon point. Not really a metroidvania, but any port in a storm.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Sakurazuka posted:

Waiting for the Switch version of Hollow Knight and PS4 Rabi Ribi

saku be like the only person on the planet who waits for games to get ported from steam

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Playing games on my pc always seems like an effort somehow

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
good metroid games are still a pretty big cut above most indie vanias in terms of polish that not a lot of games have captured, so yes, i am still into more metroid

chumbler posted:

There's also going to be Risky mode for Shantae at some relatively soon point. Not really a metroidvania, but any port in a storm.

monster worlds are almost as good as metroids

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Guy Mann posted:

Speaking of disappointing mediocity, how about that new Bloodstained footage eh?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTVYb6xeUcU

I'm laughing at the people who were saying IGA was going to show Inafune how it's done.

Mordja posted:

Some people are under the mistaken impression that IGA was the reason SOTN and some of the other Metroid-y Castlevanias were classics.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Jun 15, 2017

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

I'm laughing at the people who were saying IGA was going to show Inafune how it's done.

Some people are under the mistaken impression that IGA was the reason SOTN and some of the other Metroid-y Castlevanias were classics.
what did iga ever do to you

and bloodstained looks fine, tbh? it looks like it plays pretty much exactly like the gba metroidvanias.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Is this a remake of Symphony of the Night?

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

precision posted:

Man I hate it when I'm too tired to play video games after work

This is so true. it hurts

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

VideoGames posted:

Is this a remake of Symphony of the Night?

It's a new game by the guy that directed SotN and a bunch of other Castlevania games.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Space Flower posted:

saku be like the only person on the planet who waits for games to get ported from steam

Going to finally play undertale now that it's getting ported :v:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Sefal posted:

Going to finally play undertale now that it's getting ported :v:

Oh yeah that too

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Sakurazuka posted:

It's a new game by the guy that directed SotN and a bunch of other Castlevania games.

It looks like my cup of tea! I enjoyed Symphony of the Night quite a bit.

Annie Chickenstalker
Oct 12, 2005

Of course you dont know, YOU dont know because only I know

Grimey Drawer
Hollow Knight was well-received but I put it down after reaching the sewer area. I played on PC with a dualshock, and the controls were very rigid compared to similar games like A2MR or Dead Cells. Timing jumps is frustrating due to a slight delay after you press the button. Enemies have tons of health, especially bosses. The traversal powerups aren't interesting. They took the corpse recovery mechanic from Dark Souls because that's popular now, but it doesn't fit the gameplay style or the story. Even the map system is tedious. You have to buy each area's map from the cartographer who's hiding somewhere near the entrance. It forces you to explore new areas in a weird way since he leaves forever if you pass him, then you have to return to town to buy the map. In Metroid or the 2D Castlevanias, your map simply fills in while you explore, and you can get greyed-out maps to give you a rough guideline of the region. In short, I didn't like it. Thank you for reading my rant. :cheers:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

VideoGames posted:

It looks like my cup of tea! I enjoyed Symphony of the Night quite a bit.

Just in case you didn't know there are three GBA games and three DS Castlevania games done in the same style and they are all varying degrees of worth playing. The GBA games are on the Wii U VC too.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

play order of ecclesia if you have a ds laying around, it owns.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Sadly eBay copies run pretty expensive, especially when there's a 50% chance it's a Chinese knock off. I know because I lost my cart years ago. I still stare mournfully at the case sometimes.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Looks like Bloodstained might run into ye olde "uh is this platform in the foreground, background, or on my plane" problem

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
So was I the only one who thought that when Sonic Mania was only going to have a few new areas, that meant that the repeated ones, like Green Hill and Chemical Plant, were going to be the exact same as their original appearances? I was okay with that, too. But that's not the case

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AG6z9E6_LA8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IGIIOlfwZo

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Oh. My. Zeus. posted:

Hollow Knight was well-received but I put it down after reaching the sewer area. I played on PC with a dualshock, and the controls were very rigid compared to similar games like A2MR or Dead Cells. Timing jumps is frustrating due to a slight delay after you press the button. Enemies have tons of health, especially bosses. The traversal powerups aren't interesting. They took the corpse recovery mechanic from Dark Souls because that's popular now, but it doesn't fit the gameplay style or the story. Even the map system is tedious. You have to buy each area's map from the cartographer who's hiding somewhere near the entrance. It forces you to explore new areas in a weird way since he leaves forever if you pass him, then you have to return to town to buy the map. In Metroid or the 2D Castlevanias, your map simply fills in while you explore, and you can get greyed-out maps to give you a rough guideline of the region. In short, I didn't like it. Thank you for reading my rant. :cheers:

I had all of the same issues, but a lot of people seem to really love it so I guess some of it is just a matter of individual taste. I did find the jumping really finicky in a bad way, and the game really wants you to use a jump + downward slash move that I could never do consistently. I don't know whether it was an issue with my controller or my computer or whether I just don't have the dexterity to manage it :shrug:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I just want IGA to be able to make games again.

For what it's worth at least the impressions from people who have actually gotten to play it at E3 and the judges panels seem to like it a lot, including Jeff Gerstmann who is insanely jaded and cynical about everything.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I like Bloodstained's art style and think it looks good.

Dunno how this seems like a MN9 situation to people at all

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

LawfulWaffle posted:

So was I the only one who thought that when Sonic Mania was only going to have a few new areas, that meant that the repeated ones, like Green Hill and Chemical Plant, were going to be the exact same as their original appearances? I was okay with that, too. But that's not the case

I am so insanely hyped for this. I can't even!

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
man, end of October is going to be busy for me

Oct 24 - Destiny 2
Oct 27 - Assassin's Creed Origins & Wolfenstein II

initially I was bummed Far Cry 5 wasn't coming this year but now I'm almost relieved. this year has been big and next year (FC5, RDR2, Anthem, just quickly off my head) is gearing up as well. With the next release of GTX cards, I'll buy a whole new system to replace my old i5-2500 system built when Skyrim came out, bump up from a mediocre 1080p monitor to a 1440p 27" gsync.

never been a better time for games

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

LawfulWaffle posted:

:eyepop:

Looking real good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Oh god the revamped music in those videos! Holy moly! Could this be the best Sonic game? Finally something to unseat S3&K??

• Locked thread