Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Serum 1.2 is dropping today and apparently it's the resizable UI version. Also has some CPU usage improvements under-the-hood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

well why not posted:

Serum 1.2 is dropping today and apparently it's the resizable UI version. Also has some CPU usage improvements under-the-hood.

I am assuming if I bought Serum through Splice that I am eligible for the upgrade? Resizing and saving any amount of CPU would be amazing.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

MrSargent posted:

I am assuming if I bought Serum through Splice that I am eligible for the upgrade? Resizing and saving any amount of CPU would be amazing.

I'm thinking that since it's only being upgraded to 1.2 (and not, like... Serum 2) it's a free upgrade, more like a patch.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

resizable UI is the best thing that Steve coulda added. It's like a whole new synth. I use a 4k monitor and not having to squint to read the tiny numbers is a real pleasure.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

well why not posted:

resizable UI is the best thing that Steve coulda added. It's like a whole new synth. I use a 4k monitor and not having to squint to read the tiny numbers is a real pleasure.

For people on regular displays, will this really affect us? Also, is there a full changelog somewhere?

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

For people on regular displays, will this really affect us? Also, is there a full changelog somewhere?

Some reddit thread posted:

Changes for 1.20b1:

mostly focused around GUI re-write, a number of changes under the hood for other future features

added: default oversampling level now (optionally) can be set in Serum.cfg file (otherwise 2x as usual)

added: WT Editor->Add/Remove menu->Reduce submenu: thins the number of frames, in order to easily keep only every Nth frame.

added: ability to get a separate vertical grid size for the LFO with text entry: double-click on grid size (assuming pref enabled) and type e.g. 8,12 for 8 horizontal and 12 vertical grid lines. added: secondary sort method for preset browser, Serum will remember the previous column you clicked for ordering and use that as a secondary ordering: e.g. click Location column, presets are sorted by location. Then click Rating column and the presets will be sorted by Rating, but the sorting within a given rating will be ordered by Location.

added: alt-drag LFO tile to WT now an official feature / works on Windows too

added: preset name is now rescanned on Serum instances re-opening (for checkmark / menu advancing)

added: resizable interface (lower-right corner), zoom menu in top-left (Serum logo) and preference/setting in Zoom Menu for default window size.

fix: oversampling level wasn’t visually updating on preset changes unless GUI closed/reopened

fix: a project saved with hidden piano keyboard was not visually re-opening properly on song reload in some hosts

fix: dragging macro mod sources weren’t changing mouse cursor to ‘+’ on some systems

fix: right-clicking env curve handles would visually reset to linear but would revert to the previous curve if not touched further.

fix: it was possible to get the mouse ‘stuck’ held on the page selector buttons if using both mouse buttons.

fix: using copy Osc A<>B could lead to a crash with active voices playing in certain situations

fix: pressing ESC with a pop-up text entry enabled could crash FL studio (as ESC was closing the Serum window and the text entry simultaneously).

fix: improvements to ‘clear effect tails on transport stop’ (reduced CPU)

fix: some small memory leaks surrounding preset browser searches

fix: non-visible LFO rate on active notes wasn’t updating when automating rates directly in host.

fix: Smooth knob on LFO 5-8 was not working in all situations

fix: Preset folders containing a single-quote (‘) were not appearing in browser or could cause issues

fix: fixes to double-click for typable values on Windows

fix: exporting 16-bit wav files would incorrectly export full code sample values as full negative

fix: in some cases a preset made “init preset” default saw would, once reloaded after other presets, retain the oscillator shape to from previous preset.

fix: checkmarks weren’t showing on Matrix mod destination menus when the assignment was made via drag and drop (until window reopened).

fix: ‘Var” parameter for Combs/Allpasses/Reverb filters was not displaying the text label (‘Damp’).

fix: effects were not resuming from suspend if source signal 100% R channel only

fix: loading LFO shapes could parse an improper curve or Y value in some rare situations fix: adding LFO loop points and switching to Off mode would not remove the loop points until updating the LFO graph

fix: when exporting the entire effect rack (creating .fxr files) the effect chain order and module-bypasses were not saving correctly.

fix: when browsing presets, Macro knob values were not loading correctly in Reason 9.5

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Probably less so, but it's nice as an option. really depends on screen size and position. if you sit way back it'd be good to scale it up.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Is this a free update for those of us using Slice? Every time I try to update I get "download failed".

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Trig Discipline posted:

Is this a free update for those of us using Slice? Every time I try to update I get "download failed".

https://www.xferrecords.com/forums/general/splice-rent-to-own

Best thing to do in these cases is to check xfer's forum. Steve is very active and candid on there so there's usually some info on what's going on.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Trig Discipline posted:

It's pretty much a patch, so yes. As for your issue, I think it's just a bad coincidence.

I'm actually surprised at the number of people who aren't sure if this is free or not. Not necessarily meaning you, Trig, since your tech possibly makes it seem like you're not eligible, but a bunch of people on the subreddit and FB group are legitimately wondering if Slice members get the update for free.

Yes,you do.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Well what do you know, I just gave it another shot and now it installs fine. I'd seriously tried a dozen times over the past 24 hours and nothing.

And yeah I'd assumed it was a free update since it's just a 1.x, but the tech issue was making me question it.

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
http://www.waves.com/plugins/ssl-e-channel

pretty good deal, for 22 hours from now.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I've often wondered about these channel strip plugins; they just act as a regular insert, right? I mean, obviously they're not going to actually replace the channel strip you already have in your DAW, right?

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
They add quite a bit of 'character' to the sound, even if you don't touch the settings. If i queue up the same fx in Cubase in the same order with the same settings it sounds different. A lot of it is workflow too, its easier to load one of those than to set up eq, comp, etc etc, even if you aren't a preset hound.

I'm certainly no analogue vibe purist but I do like these SSL models for giving a bit of 'something' to a sound.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
This is cool and free.
http://kammerl.de/audio/kfingerprints/

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
Has anyone here used Softube VST's with their new Gobbler app? Trying to gauge how annoying it is before installing.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

MrSargent posted:

Has anyone here used Softube VST's with their new Gobbler app? Trying to gauge how annoying it is before installing.

I used it when I installed Modular a couple of weeks back. Authorized the plugin, set preferences on Gobbler to prevent it from launching on startup, and that was pretty much it. I haven't thought about it since, which is a good thing I suppose.

Supersonic
Mar 28, 2008

You have used 43 of 300 characters allowed.
Tortured By Flan

MrSargent posted:

Using it for the Drawmer S73, TSAR-1 reverb, and few others I got from a free Focusrite pack and haven't had any issues yet so far.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Any good software emulations of some of the more obscure (at least I think they were?) Yamaha FM synths like the TG77 or SY77?

Also, what's the best way to emulate some of the odder characteristics of hardware samplers in modern software? I unabashedly love the sounds produced by things like the Mirage when you sample a sound and play it way down the keyboard, anything out there that kind of emulates it and the ASR-10, MPC60, etc?

Also Also, what're the best options for Juno 106 (emus or "inspired by") VSTs?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

You need to look at Togu Audio Line for both the sampler and the Juno.

e: Dexed for FM. I don't think there's a lot out there that specifically emulates other FM synths other than the FM synth.

Flipperwaldt fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jul 28, 2017

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
that juno is alright but the real star is the tal 101 imo

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

https://twitter.com/unofficialreach/status/893241230729019392

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Yeah, I'm in a Serum "power users" group on FB and people keep posting their own skins. Makes me want to make one, honestly.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
If anyone's been wanting some Soundtoys stuff but has been holding off, they've got some pretty good sales on all of their stuff right now.

http://www.soundtoys.com/product/

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Anyone a Rick and Morty fan?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

https://twitter.com/OfficialEntity/status/893330608293896192

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I'm really considering making my own skin. I don't even mind the one that's there, I just wanna make a Ghostbusters or Space Ghost one :allears:

Space Ghostbusters? :swoon:

Danyull
Jan 16, 2011

I have no idea what WOW2 is but I got a 50% off code for it from the Scarlett Plug-in collective if anyone wants to grab it.

You can redeem it by clicking here. Please post if you take it so I can edit it out after.

e: Gone

Danyull fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Aug 23, 2017

kshift
Aug 13, 2017

"except one day i rolled up wearing a citizen watch, full ross"

snorch posted:

Cockos ReaPlugs ~ Free as in beer
http://www.reaper.fm/reaplugs/

If you don't already use REAPER, you'll want these in your arsenal. It's a collection of simplistic yet powerful and versatile plugins that are very light on CPU load.

This is awesome! I used reaper for a while before switching back to ableton, and I've always missed ReaQ and ReaGate. I had no clue I could straight up get just the plugins. Thanks for posting this!

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

Danyull posted:

I have no idea what WOW2 is but I got a 50% off code for it from the Scarlett Plug-in collective if anyone wants to grab it.

You can redeem it by clicking here. Please post if you take it so I can edit it out after.

Its a pretty decent filter plug in, especially if you like to make Skrillex eeeYAAAAAHHHHHHooooOOOOOO bass noises

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

Danyull posted:

I remember trying the demo of this and it was coool. If nobody's redeemed it by the time i get home i'll grab it. :cheers:

edit: redeemed! thanks Danyull

Dicky B fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Aug 21, 2017

Danyull
Jan 16, 2011

No problem dude! Be sure to post whatever you end up making with it so I can hear what I'm missing out on ;)

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
16 hours to go on the the Waves Platinum $199 sale: http://www.waves.com/bundles/platinum

Anveo
Mar 23, 2002
Pretty cool collection of some quality free Reaktor instruments & effects: http://boscomac.free.fr/index.php?p=rack

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
https://twitter.com/audiorealism/status/906165814637801472

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
This is probably old news for anybody in this thread, but I just discovered that owning a Focusrite product gives you access to one free Addictive Keys instrument of your choice.

I'm stuck flipping between youtube demos of the Studio Grand and the Modern Upright. MU is probably more appropriate for the kind of music I make (rock and hip hop, generally) but SG might be more versatile. Does anybody feel strongly about these plugins? I've been using Piano One for years, so either one will be a huge improvement.

precedence
Jun 28, 2010

Lester Shy posted:

This is probably old news for anybody in this thread, but I just discovered that owning a Focusrite product gives you access to one free Addictive Keys instrument of your choice.

Oh nice, thanks for the PSA.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Lester Shy posted:

I'm stuck flipping between youtube demos of the Studio Grand and the Modern Upright. MU is probably more appropriate for the kind of music I make (rock and hip hop, generally) but SG might be more versatile. Does anybody feel strongly about these plugins? I've been using Piano One for years, so either one will be a huge improvement.

I actually think the Modern Upright is more versatile, the Selections sound design presets cover a much wider range. The soundboard mix with reverb sounds a lot like a grand and is an absolute joy to play with.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

https://www.eventideaudio.com/promo/equivocate

Free Equivocate EQ ($99, regularly) until Oct 31st. Needs an iLok account, but still... :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yoink! Thanks!