Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Sir. This is a Nandos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Hobo Erotica posted:

Thanks for the link. Did you read through to the examples though?

This is her "victim blaming":

"Let me be clear: sexual assault is never the fault of the victim. Neither is being hit by a drunk driver. The sole person to blame for such crimes is the perpetrator. But teaching girls how to reduce their risk of sexual assault is not the same thing as victim blaming. It’s not. And we must stop confusing the two."

Seems reasonable?

This is her being "deeply whorephobic":

"If you are an adult woman who is not suffering from a mental illness, addiction or sexual, physical or emotional abuse, who has not been trafficked or exploited or co-erced into sexual slavery and who is CHOOSING of her own free will to sell sex?
I respect that. I’m cool with that. I recently listened to a fascinating podcast with a sex worker whose clients have disabilities. We’ll be publishing a story about her soon. I’m certainly not interested in demonising sex workers – I’d never do that.

But no, that doesn’t mean I see your career choice as something I’d want my daughter to aspire to. Or my sons.... Accepting the free choices made by other women does not mean you have to aspire to them or advocate them."

Again, we're hating her for this? I mean I can see where it's coming from here at least, because yes, there is an implication that there is something wrong with sex work, and our society could arguably do with out that stigma. But far out, if you've got to drill that far down to someone saying that she'd rather her kids didn't aspire to be a sex worker to call her a poo poo person then gently caress. Find me a majority of women who say they want their kids to be sex workers and I'd question their honesty.

As for the payment thing, the Mumbrella article lays it out pretty clearly. The used to accept unpaid voluntary submissions, which most publications do, now they pay $50, and have a large paid staff contributing most of the content. Not seeing a huge deal. I'm not going to bat too hard for this one but it's still not eliciting much outrage from me.

It's like if you don't repeat the collective mantras letter for letter, if you have any personal nuance, you're hounded out of town. It doesn't seem like a constructive discourse.

And so the current example, where she introduces an adoring interview with a logistical issue which directly relates to the subject at hand. She revealed that a woman who wrote a book about how fat people experience the world differently and in ways we would not expect, experiences the world differently and in ways we would not expect. The subject was unhappy, she made a mistake, and apologized unreservedly. And everyone pounces on her again, with a visciousness that seems wildly disproportionate.

The article you posted even admitted that the pile on was questionable:

"Allowing other women their honest mistakes and teachable moments is vital to the whole movement advancing and opening up to make space for those diverse women who are often shut out by straight white supremacy. Sometimes calling out is just correcting and moving on.

Yesterday I was unusually vocal on Twitter (a platform I rarely use and don’t totally understand) about the Gay/Freedman incident. Not only did I post about it myself, I joined other threads to express my outrage. As I piled on and on, I felt the gleeful bubbles of drama build inside me. I don’t particularly like Freedman, or Mamamia, so part of me was probably thrilled to have a justifiable reason to lay into her (and the organisation itself).

But how much of my vitriol was a legitimate response to Freedman’s bad behaviour, and how much was an excuse to be mean about a woman I did not like? That question can be an uncomfortable one. I was made more uncomfortable still when I joined a thread on a women writer’s Facebook group dedicated to the incident, which quickly devolved into some thorough Freedman-bashing. Over the past 24 hours, Junkee has deleted a number of abusive Facebook comments under their stories on the incident. Freedman was repeatedly called names like “c*nt”.

I guess that's about as good an explanation as we'll get.

same

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.
Catholic church keeps it classy

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
I'm sorry that priests repeatedly raped you and this was covered up by the Church. Have you thought about letting God into your heart?

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Starshark posted:

I'm sorry that priests repeatedly raped you and this was covered up by the Church. Have you thought about letting God into your heart?
No? What about your arse then?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Hobo Erotica posted:

"Let me be clear: sexual assault is never the fault of the victim. Neither is being hit by a drunk driver. The sole person to blame for such crimes is the perpetrator. But teaching girls how to reduce their risk of sexual assault is not the same thing as victim blaming. It’s not. And we must stop confusing the two."

Seems reasonable?

"If you are an adult woman who is not suffering from a mental illness, addiction or sexual, physical or emotional abuse, who has not been trafficked or exploited or co-erced into sexual slavery and who is CHOOSING of her own free will to sell sex?
I respect that. I’m cool with that. I recently listened to a fascinating podcast with a sex worker whose clients have disabilities. We’ll be publishing a story about her soon. I’m certainly not interested in demonising sex workers – I’d never do that.

But no, that doesn’t mean I see your career choice as something I’d want my daughter to aspire to. Or my sons.... Accepting the free choices made by other women does not mean you have to aspire to them or advocate them."

Again, we're hating her for this? I mean I can see where it's coming from here at least, because yes, there is an implication that there is something wrong with sex work, and our society could arguably do with out that stigma. But far out, if you've got to drill that far down to someone saying that she'd rather her kids didn't aspire to be a sex worker to call her a poo poo person then gently caress. Find me a majority of women who say they want their kids to be sex workers and I'd question their honesty.

As for the payment thing, the Mumbrella article lays it out pretty clearly. The used to accept unpaid voluntary submissions, which most publications do, now they pay $50, and have a large paid staff contributing most of the content. Not seeing a huge deal. I'm not going to bat too hard for this one but it's still not eliciting much outrage from me.

It's like if you don't repeat the collective mantras letter for letter, if you have any personal nuance, you're hounded out of town. It doesn't seem like a constructive discourse.

And so the current example, where she introduces an adoring interview with a logistical issue which directly relates to the subject at hand. She revealed that a woman who wrote a book about how fat people experience the world differently and in ways we would not expect, experiences the world differently and in ways we would not expect. The subject was unhappy, she made a mistake, and apologized unreservedly. And everyone pounces on her again, with a visciousness that seems wildly disproportionate.

"Allowing other women their honest mistakes and teachable moments is vital to the whole movement advancing and opening up to make space for those diverse women who are often shut out by straight white supremacy. Sometimes calling out is just correcting and moving on.

Yesterday I was unusually vocal on Twitter (a platform I rarely use and don’t totally understand) about the Gay/Freedman incident. Not only did I post about it myself, I joined other threads to express my outrage. As I piled on and on, I felt the gleeful bubbles of drama build inside me. I don’t particularly like Freedman, or Mamamia, so part of me was probably thrilled to have a justifiable reason to lay into her (and the organisation itself).

But how much of my vitriol was a legitimate response to Freedman’s bad behaviour, and how much was an excuse to be mean about a woman I did not like? That question can be an uncomfortable one. I was made more uncomfortable still when I joined a thread on a women writer’s Facebook group dedicated to the incident, which quickly devolved into some thorough Freedman-bashing. Over the past 24 hours, Junkee has deleted a number of abusive Facebook comments under their stories on the incident. Freedman was repeatedly called names like “c*nt”.

Birdstrike posted:

you want to bang mia christ we get it already

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

aka "I'm a retired boomer and only just discovered Tomb Raider and Google image search"

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

State Government documents have warned up to 2,500 buildings in New South Wales could be fitted with flammable cladding similar to that which was engulfed in the London Grenfell Tower fire this week.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-06-15/london-tower-fire-promps-fears-nsw-buildings-could-be-tinderbox/8622470

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Bogan King posted:

Audio in link.

that's loving hilarious

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

DancingShade posted:

aka "I'm a retired boomer and only just discovered Tomb Raider and Google image search"

These captions are classic:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Cortana's cleavage is neither unrealistically large, nor gravity defying. Moralisers gotta moralise though.

GrandMaster
Aug 15, 2004
laidback

YES IT IS

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

These captions are classic:

I only read the Tele for the articles I swear!

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.
Current grove: All the right wing yanks banging on about how our Liberal government is scum, not realising what a Liberal government means.

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Lmao one of the characters making daily telegraph dudes horny is a fuckin blue alien thing

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

NTRabbit posted:

Cortana's cleavage is neither unrealistically large, nor gravity defying. Moralisers gotta moralise though.

Holy poo poo just imagine the freakout when the author of that article discovers "basically naked blue computer lady from Halo corrupting our youth".

Oh my gawd you can basically see everything, breasts and all! *drops hand of bridge cards, spills glass of pinot*

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
I betcha Turnbull goes up in the polls because of this

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Laurie Oakes clearly gives no fucks.

Fortunately for our Prime Minister, Trump is going to rage about some other guy called President Trumball.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

I get the joke and all but you can see how juvenile this is, right?

So is there any debate or discussion in D&D these days? Or the public shaming of women with opinions is fine even if the reasons don't really hold up to the slightest scrutiny and lol if you actually give them any scrutiny?

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010
Unless there is a window in the middle of her panties I'm not sure what could be in the censored picture that isn't already shown in the others. A sinful belly button?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I think Laurie Oaks is a Liberal fucktard who leaked it to make Trumbles appear more human

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I mean you would have to be pretty dense not to realise Canberra is full of controlled leaks

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Anidav posted:

I think Laurie Oaks is a Liberal fucktard who leaked it to make Trumbles appear more human

didn't work

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Hobo Erotica posted:

So is there any debate or discussion in D&D these days? Or the public shaming of women with opinions is fine even if the reasons don't really hold up to the slightest scrutiny and lol if you actually give them any scrutiny?

I guess it looks like you're railing about a news story that's tomorrow's fish and chip paper. Freedman's news service made a blunder and some people are making too big a deal about it. I don't see those people in this thread. Mamamia isn't above criticism in this instance. But mainly you've written a minor essay about something that really doesn't seem that important.

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

Unless there is a window in the middle of her panties I'm not sure what could be in the censored picture that isn't already shown in the others. A sinful belly button?

A quick google image search found a twitter post where someone points out it's not actually from the game and it's instead a fan made render grabbed from someone's DeviantArt
https://twitter.com/kungfuman316/status/873813568759754753

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Hobo Erotica posted:

The public shaming of women *and* men is fine when they have lovely opinions, as Mia Freedman has consistently demonstrated basically her entire career

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Hobo Erotica posted:

Seems reasonable?

source your quotes

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Hobo Erotica posted:

I doubt many posters are plugged in enough to really have much of an opinion about it. Someone was mean, and some internet posters were also mean back... Is there something more to this, or is this another 'so much for the tolerant left' complaint?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Other posted:

A quick google image search found a twitter post where someone points out it's not actually from the game and it's instead a fan made render grabbed from someone's DeviantArt
https://twitter.com/kungfuman316/status/873813568759754753

Lol "journalism"

EDIT Also christ look at the size of that left hand. She could palm a loving basketball.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
*looks over at feminist frequency who 3/4 this thread probably thinks is amazingly perceptive and probably backed the kickstarter*

ha ha yeah!! gently caress you daily telegraph!! as if depictions of women could ever be troubling or weird!!!

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Milky Moor posted:

*looks over at feminist frequency who 3/4 this thread probably thinks is amazingly perceptive and probably backed the kickstarter*

ha ha yeah!! gently caress you daily telegraph!! as if depictions of women could ever be troubling or weird!!!

shut up lid

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

hooman posted:

Lol "journalism"

EDIT Also christ look at the size of that left hand. She could palm a loving basketball.

Shame on you for not recognising the Atlanta Dream's starting centre Damiris Dantas

Mordialloc
Apr 15, 2003

Knight of the Iron Cross
Hi folks,

Following from the discussion a couple of days ago about employment service providers, I'm looking to employ someone in a month or so on a casual basis in my business but I don't want to use a provider that is shady/fucks job seekers. Are there any good/decent/not blood sucking ones?

About the job: Handyman work in Canberra, 2-3 days a week.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

NTRabbit posted:

Shame on you for not recognising the Atlanta Dream's starting centre Damiris Dantas

drat, I just watched some clips, she's great. Shame on me indeed.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Starshark posted:

Is the miserable gently caress even out of surgery yet.

yes, though you wouldn't be able to tell by how large he still is

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Milky Moor posted:

I'm in the 1/4 so gently caress off, semper games.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Hobo Erotica posted:

:words:

Thank you for this.

Good to see someone put some effort into their position rather than just outright stating unfounded opinions as fact.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Starshark posted:

I guess it looks like you're railing about a news story that's tomorrow's fish and chip paper. Freedman's news service made a blunder and some people are making too big a deal about it. I don't see those people in this thread. Mamamia isn't above criticism in this instance. But mainly you've written a minor essay about something that really doesn't seem that important.

A minor essay about something not very important after 5 pages of pizza topping and burger filling chat is a bit rich, but I'm still just trying to understand the hate.

And look, pizza toppings and burger fillings are definitely both pretty important things, but so is an angry mob casually but vindictively going after someone. Especially when they're ostensibly on the same progressive, trendy, digital types team.

The indifference is just striking to be honest. Worth remarking upon at least, which is what I'm doing. I'm not railing, I'm just trying to understand the hate. People say it's ok cos the opinions are lovely, but the opinions just don't seem that lovely. But no one else has said that yet, which suggests that everyone just accepts that junkee article? The consensus is she's a lovely, victim blaming, whore hater? I feel that sets a new low for the discourse.

Edit - to be fair the junkee author actually said she 'stared to feel uncomfortable' when people started 'repeatedly calling her c*nt'

E1 - YOU'RE WELCOME GORILLA SALAD

Bucky Fullminster fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Jun 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!

hooman posted:

Lol "journalism"

Her hands are big like that because the original 3d model came from a game where the art style exaggerates the size of the hands and feet in order to aid reading what moves characters are doing

• Locked thread