Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
i still like it when diablo shouts EVIL NEVER DIES when you lose a game
also how excited he sounds when he shouts DESTRUCTION REIGNS upon a fort being destroyed :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

This is all very confusing. Do you mind if I call you Rodriguez?
Teammates and opponents cannot see which announcer I use, and can not be impressed nor jealous. As such they are all completely worthless.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Zwiebel posted:

Gazlowe seems like the only announcer that had any amount of effort or creativity to it.
Like, I respect Murky and Abathur and I appreciate the Butcher just saying one word over and over instead of commenting, but everyone is so goddamn bland. I hope they give them a second pass at some point, since I can understand how little they have to say when Blizz has to squeeze out a few dozen of them as a new feature, but so far I'm not impressed.

The problem is all the characters barely say anything when playing as them too

E: true ^

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

I really like the Illidan voice over, but that's mainly because I have a man crush on Liam O'Brien's voice work in all the games he does. So smooth, so nice.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
Dude who voiced Illidan in Warcraft 3 was much better (I assume it's not the same guy as WC3-Illidan was nasal and dorky rather than over-the-top Metzen-badass)

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
Gazlowe calls people jerks when they leave a game so he's the best

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

I like the reaper-esque over he top nature of illidan's voice acting

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Dravs posted:

Gazlowe calls people jerks when they leave a game so he's the best

I love when he does his sarcastic OH NOO PLEASE COME BACK

I also love if they come back he'll be like "Was it the router? I bet it was the router"

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

"Tracer AI might be the best thing ever" from reddit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6rskJlWlIs

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

quite stretched out posted:

i still like it when diablo shouts EVIL NEVER DIES when you lose a game
also how excited he sounds when he shouts DESTRUCTION REIGNS upon a fort being destroyed :3:

He also tells you to kill your teammates after they return from a disconnect. Diablo is just too drat occupied by obliterating.

Every announcer has great lines, sadly in most cases those are the ones if you are playing a hero while you have them as the announcer (and even in this case Gazlowe reigns supreme)

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Jun 15, 2017

peer
Jan 17, 2004

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

I like the reaper-esque over he top nature of illidan's voice acting

One difference between the two, made very clear if you've played the most recent WoW expansion (you shouldn't): while Reaper is treated as a teenager who wears a trenchcoat and convinces himself he's tough while everyone laughs behind his back, Blizzard desperately wants you to think Illidan is cool and badass, to the point of having A Literal God tell you how great he is.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

Mierenneuker posted:

He also tells you to kill your teammates after they return from a disconnect. Diablo is just too drat occupied by obliterating.

in a game all about obliterating im not sure why this is a bad thing :colbert:

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER
Kind of jealous of Dota 2 announcers to be honest. Hots announcers have around 5 minutes of audio, while Dota 2 averages 45 minutes per announcer.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Other mobas also have like an hour of audio per character. Though apparently medivh has a half our of dialouge even though he says dreams and nightmares a thousand times in a match.

Lamquin
Aug 11, 2007

Olaf The Stout posted:

Kind of jealous of Dota 2 announcers to be honest. Hots announcers have around 5 minutes of audio, while Dota 2 averages 45 minutes per announcer.

If there is one thing I'd love to bring over from my DOTA2 inventory it's the Stanley Parable Announcer Pack. They really gave him some wonderful lines and I miss his soothing voice.

Compared to that the mixed sounds of the selected announcer and the map announcers in HOTS feel really primitive. For me very few of the announcers have a... personality? I'd love to hear more quips, silly lines or even bad jokes during the game from the announcers. :shobon:

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

I just remembered this weird bug that kept happening in alpha/beta where Tassadar would say "we should destroy a structure" even if you weren't playing him and he wasn't in the game. It was like a weird voice in your head. They should make the Tassadar announcer say that.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

BrianBoitano posted:

"Tracer AI might be the best thing ever" from reddit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6rskJlWlIs

An accurate representation of the inner psyche of trying to play Tracer

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I dig that Gazlowe has a try mode line, too. "Try before you buy, now you're thinking like a real goblin." :3:

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

peer posted:

One difference between the two, made very clear if you've played the most recent WoW expansion (you shouldn't): while Reaper is treated as a teenager who wears a trenchcoat and convinces himself he's tough while everyone laughs behind his back, Blizzard desperately wants you to think Illidan is cool and badass, to the point of having A Literal God tell you how great he is.

"Hold on, darkness just texted me"

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

beejay posted:

I just remembered this weird bug that kept happening in alpha/beta where Tassadar would say "we should destroy a structure" even if you weren't playing him and he wasn't in the game. It was like a weird voice in your head. They should make the Tassadar announcer say that.

Varian lines keep playing instead of whatever I have assigned to the character.

Speaking of I'm trying out the guy. Tank Varian feels really awkward. I feel really impotent. Other tanks have more mobility to land their stuns and despite parry I feel less survivable because I have to just walk up to the enemy team. I guess if our Sonya could play for poo poo she'd be the proper initiator
Twin blades was surprisingly impressive. I think with mortal strike there's some real counter play there. With the shield breaker too Varian seems best at counter picking. Haven't tried smash yet.

Also lol I think instead of making him count as a warrior they just made it so he only shows up in games with a real warrior on each team.

Trade Chat Troll
Jan 22, 2010
I keep hearing the quest completion boosh ad infinitum after completing the Probius tower upgrade :911:

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Speaking of I'm trying out the guy. Tank Varian feels really awkward. I feel really impotent. Other tanks have more mobility to land their stuns and despite parry I feel less survivable because I have to just walk up to the enemy team. I guess if our Sonya could play for poo poo she'd be the proper initiator
Twin blades was surprisingly impressive. I think with mortal strike there's some real counter play there. With the shield breaker too Varian seems best at counter picking. Haven't tried smash yet.

Also lol I think instead of making him count as a warrior they just made it so he only shows up in games with a real warrior on each team.

Pls supply the reddit link for this quote.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

peer posted:

Naaru aren't gods.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

Shadowlyger posted:

Naaru aren't gods.

Sorry, Metzen, you're right, the lore has apparently evolved since I last paid attention to it. I'd like to correct my earlier post and state that the being of pure light that tells us Illidan is The Best is really more like an angel than a god.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Did you try pressing E?

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

peer posted:

Sorry, Metzen, you're right, the lore has apparently evolved since I last paid attention to it. I'd like to correct my earlier post and state that the being of pure light that tells us Illidan is The Best is really more like an angel than a god.

To be fair this is what happens when you try to make bad guys the good guys, an even gooder guy needs to say that this bad guy is a good guy and you trust him now. I really wish they just made demon hunters full on "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" relationship within WoW.

Enough WoW chat, new Illidan voice is silky smooth and nice to listen to.

And Xul is a lot of fun to play against Malthael, oh what's that you're trying to hurt me? Skelecage and evade go.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

bamhand posted:

Did you try pressing E?

Sure he can dash to a guy but he can't really move around a fight and be disruptive like Anub or etc or Muradin, he doesn't have Sonya or Artanis damage.
I'm sure plenty of it is I'm not even level 5 with the guy. In tank mode he feels like Tyrael, he's just sort of there and has a decent cc ult for each team fight.

2 SPOOKY
Sep 9, 2010

Always Be Alert!

Toshimo posted:

Pls supply the reddit link for this quote.

This meme that TBoF Varian is super terrible seems strange to me. At my middling Platinum-trending Diamond MMR, I've seen Twin blades do very respectable work, particularly when paired with a CC-heavy tank. It's not for every situation and I'd usually much rather see our Varian go taunt, but twin blades doesn't seem 100% a joke.

Will admit the worst feel is the solo Varian who goes not-Taunt when the other team has a real tank, but idiot pubbies gonna idiot.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Sure he can dash to a guy but he can't really move around a fight and be disruptive like Anub or etc or Muradin, he doesn't have Sonya or Artanis damage.
I'm sure plenty of it is I'm not even level 5 with the guy. In tank mode he feels like Tyrael, he's just sort of there and has a decent cc ult for each team fight.

I mean he's only one of the highest burst damage warriors in the game with one of the best CC and mobility abilities in the game. And the best defensive ability in the game. I'm not sure what else you would want from him. Are you playing him correctly? You charge someone, then parry and taunt, this makes your heroic strike activate every time you get hit while they are forced to attack you. You can easily take off 50% of Tracer's hp during one taunt. He's one basically just a point and click delete button for heroes.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

2 SPOOKY posted:

I've seen Twin blades do very respectable work, particularly when paired with a CC-heavy tank

This is why it's bad. In QM this doesn't exist so you just throw away your tank for a lovely Illidan.

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

This is all very confusing. Do you mind if I call you Rodriguez?
That's clearly not the reason it's bad, Taunt has afaik 100% pick rate in pro games and it's popularity skews heavily toward the higher rankings in HL (Taunt is 85% in Master, 31% in Bronze). And it isn't because they're too dumb to pick a 2nd tank.

That doesn't mean Discount Illidan can't still do solid work when it's picked, but it's pretty clear it's not his strongest build.

Gustav fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jun 15, 2017

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Gustav posted:

That's clearly not the reason it's bad, Taunt has afaik 100% pick rate in pro games and it's popularity skews heavily toward the higher rankings in HL (Taunt is 85% in Master, 31% in Bronze). And it isn't because they're too dumb to pick a 2nd tank.

That doesn't mean Discount Illidan can't still do solid work when it's picked, but it's pretty clear it's not his strongest build.

There were actually were games with Twin Blades and Colossus Smash this week in the HGC. Twin Blades got wrecked, but the Smash nearly won against eStar.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Yeah smash has niche uses. Twin Blades is just outshined by other heroes who can do the same but better.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

bamhand posted:

I mean he's only one of the highest burst damage warriors in the game with one of the best CC and mobility abilities in the game. And the best defensive ability in the game. I'm not sure what else you would want from him. Are you playing him correctly? You charge someone, then parry and taunt, this makes your heroic strike activate every time you get hit while they are forced to attack you. You can easily take off 50% of Tracer's hp during one taunt. He's one basically just a point and click delete button for heroes.

I have never seen anyone do burst damage with Varian with any build in any game I've been in. I think the problem would be is after that he doesn't have much damage or anything after the combo and half of tracer's health is like one orb from Li Ming.
Sonya could leap on someone and do more damage while still stunning someone.

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

"That's going in the cringe reel for sure."

Power Bottom posted:

IIRC someone did the math and found out that buying a Hero for gems was terrible value, even if you wait for them to be on sale. Typically the best use case for gems is to either save them for Loot Boxes or for something Featured that you actually care about.

You know where that math is? I'd be curious to look at it.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
That post seems totally wrong unless you like cosmetics more than heroes.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Yukari posted:

You know where that math is? I'd be curious to look at it.

I have been searching for it since I posted and have been unable to find it, unfortunately. Feel free to take what I said with a grain of salt.

Or maybe a shaker's worth.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

I have never seen anyone do burst damage with Varian with any build in any game I've been in. I think the problem would be is after that he doesn't have much damage or anything after the combo and half of tracer's health is like one orb from Li Ming.
Sonya could leap on someone and do more damage while still stunning someone.

You realize there's 4 other guys on your team right? If you're trying to solo people as Varian then there's your problem. Varian is one of the highest burst assassin and warriors in the game and he sets up kills on out of position characters like no one else. He's one of the most picked warriors in pro-games, are you saying you secretly know that Varian is bad and everyone else is wrong?

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

bamhand posted:

You realize there's 4 other guys on your team right? If you're trying to solo people as Varian then there's your problem. Varian is one of the highest burst assassin and warriors in the game and he sets up kills on out of position characters like no one else. He's one of the most picked warriors in pro-games, are you saying you secretly know that Varian is bad and everyone else is wrong?

No I'm not saying any of that.
And I know if no one on my team wants to attack the malf he gets to walk away with over half his health :negative:
Varian would of course be much better at higher levels of play because managing parry is so important and understanding danger is the least developed skill. I'm not in diamond so I've only seen people fart around with him more or less.
The numbers just don't seem to add up to what you're describing to me. Jump on a guy and stun him for a little over a second isn't wildly different from what every warrior does. I'd think stitches or Artanis are more lethal for people standing where they shouldn't.
I believe Varian's ability to protect himself while diving in for the stun makes him a top pick in organized play 100%

And what I meant by I was surprised by tbof was that it was better than release Gazlowe which is as highly people talk about it, the team was already feeding bad so I was messing around.
I don't think he's bad but my impressions don't match up with what people say about him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
His charge + taunt stuns them for 3 seconds while giving him what is essentially double damage. That's not the same as a 1s stun at all.

Also if you want to see Varian burst with Colossus Smash watch this guide. He is seriously one of the highest burst heroes in the game. The guide is a bit out of date though, you should be taking parry talents at 1 and 4.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0TfTdUZvxM