Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

i vaguely recall that the hair on the legs thing is from a david foster wallace essay but that might be my imagination

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

"You got arrogant, you didn't account for all the players" was such a great moment. That brief moment of concern that flickered over Varga's face and then his acknowledgement of being outstrategized was so good.

I love that after his big speech to Emmit about true wealth and having the discipline not to flaunt it to keep yourself safe, he's sitting there casually throwing out extra zeroes as incentive to Nikki and she hits him with,"I don't want money. I want to hurt you."

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Jerusalem posted:

I love that after his big speech to Emmit about true wealth and having the discipline not to flaunt it to keep yourself safe, he's sitting there casually throwing out extra zeroes as incentive to Nikki and she hits him with,"I don't want money. I want to hurt you."
Yeah, that was a good moment. I didn't like how Nikki was focusing about "her money" in the dialogue earlier, but I'm glad that was her final response.

It was a good episode. Not nearly as good as the previous one. I did like what they did with Gloria's character in the episode; I was thinking earlier in the season that maybe they'll go for a romance between Gloria and the other female officer, but perhaps not.

Also I'm in favor of that it seems that indeed Vargas is his own boss and not the middleman he pretends to be.

Didn't like the re-treading of season's one "we got the (framed) killer, the case is closed".

And I'm surprised Mr Wrench let Meemo live.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

After catching up with this season I've gone back and re-watched season 1, and I've got to say that I love how the tone and style of this show turns mundane details into something really funny. That final scene in this episode where the IRS guy takes forever from getting into his office to finding the package on his chair had me giggling like an idiot, and it reminded me of the moment in season 1 where Bob Odenkirk is talking about his wifes cheese and mushroom omelette with one of the other officers.

Also, Mary Elizabeth Winstead is like the hottest woman ever in this show.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

This was a very good and exciting episode.

Turns out the self actualizing couple wasn't nikki and ray. It's instead wrench and nikki! Ray was just a shclup that died along the way to this cute match up!

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Gorn Myson posted:

After catching up with this season I've gone back and re-watched season 1, and I've got to say that I love how the tone and style of this show turns mundane details into something really funny. That final scene in this episode where the IRS guy takes forever from getting into his office to finding the package on his chair had me giggling like an idiot, and it reminded me of the moment in season 1 where Bob Odenkirk is talking about his wifes cheese and mushroom omelette with one of the other officers.

Also, Mary Elizabeth Winstead is like the hottest woman ever in this show.
I agree with all of this. Down to Mary Elizabeth Winstead being the hottest.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

AbstractNapper posted:

I agree with all of this. Down to Mary Elizabeth Winstead being the hottest.

I just assumed she'd be typecast as generic manic pixie dream girl after Scott Pilgrim, but she's amazing in this role.

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

hey mister... can u play drums while I sing and play plastic guitar???
I really, really loved when Miss Swango cut through Vargas' bullshit middle manager story.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

WhiteHowler posted:

I just assumed she'd be typecast as generic manic pixie dream girl after Scott Pilgrim, but she's amazing in this role.

I thought she was pretty good in 10 Cloverfield Lane.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Bates posted:

Not really sure how she knows to do the things that she does though.

She plays a lot of bridge, duh.

GobiasIndustries fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jun 15, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I wish the first half of this season had been as badass as that. That was just incredible top to bottom and I was doing irl fistpumps and cheering at Nikki and Wrench being the baddest of asses

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

phosdex posted:

I thought she was pretty good in 10 Cloverfield Lane.

Yeah, watch that for more badass Swango action.
I think it's on Amazon Prime.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Still love it, but yeah, it's not season 2. I think it will be better on rewatch though.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Nikki was the Fargo Competent Cop all along.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

GobiasIndustries posted:

She plays a lot of bridge, duh.

It's not too hard to believe considering that she was waiting for Varga. Since Nikki got to pick where she was sitting there would only be one or two windows with line of sight on her chair, so all Mr. Wrench had to do was watch the hallway for Meemo.

It was a good scene, and this season has been a lot of fun. I'm hoping Sy gets some revenge in the finale.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Varga and his henchmen should be gunned down out of nowhere by Sy. Turns out that Sy is actually a young Lorne Malvo and we just watched his origin story. The title sequence has been deliberately misleading.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
Man, S3 took a biiiit to get going but I'm having a lot of fun. I'm feeling lots of tension from the Fake Serial Killer reversal of fortune, a lot of joy in Nikki wreckin' Vargas, and a lot of happiness seeing Burgle find herself (literally). Maybe this will never be a "must see" season of Fargo, but it's just drat good TV.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I enjoy that Varga calls Nikki "The Swango".

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
i feel bad for gloria spending 9 episodes swinging between optimistic and sardonic while being constantly poo poo on and doing very little to advance the actual story. the only intelligent person that's paid attention to her at all is ray wise's character

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008

LentThem posted:

i feel bad for gloria spending 9 episodes swinging between optimistic and sardonic while being constantly poo poo on and doing very little to advance the actual story. the only intelligent person that's paid attention to her at all is ray wise's character

It's advanced her portion of the story, and helped put into context the things Varga has been doing to cover his tracks.

I have to wonder at this point if she'll actually solve the case proper, or if Swango will deliver karmic justice to Varga while Gloria moves on. I feel like the Coen Brother's would go for the later, but it's hard to tell if this show would be so cynical.

Also, Swango is a pretty great name.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
I'm getting the feeling Carrie Coon's casting was a big misdirect as you would automatically assume she'd be the kickass protagonist who brings down the bad buys.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

This episode confirmed Multiple Varga Theory

The finale will surely show us an alien or two

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Capntastic posted:

This episode confirmed Multiple Varga Theory
It did?

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

All of the Vargas milling about the hotel lobby.

Perhaps a hivemind situation?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Capntastic posted:

All of the Vargas milling about the hotel lobby.

Perhaps a hivemind situation?

Varga does improv in his free time.

If Nikki had hung out there longer she would have seen a funny flash mob of whirling trench coats lip singing to the Sound of Music.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Police Chief Dammik obstructing Gloria's investigation is getting ridiculous. It was the weakest part of the season going into this episode, and I had hoped they moved past it. Having him bust the patsy and stop her interview with Stussey and order him to be released was irritating. That might be ok once a season, but he already did that with Emmit.

Season one was excellent but I had similar complaints about sheriff Bob Odenkirk stopping the investigation multiple times for no good reason. And at least he got the late season explanation that he was a super nice guy adopting orphans and was over his head as a cop. Maybe Dammik will get a similar character development?

Other than that, good episode. The Nikki/Mr. Wrench team is a lot of fun to watch, and I liked her negotiation with Vargus, and how she made some mistakes (not spotting the trenchcoat men) but was able to come out ahead. I was so glad she didn't touch the tea or briefcase. Is Mr. Wrench the only character to be in all three seasons?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Police Chief Dammik obstructing Gloria's investigation is getting ridiculous. It was the weakest part of the season going into this episode, and I had hoped they moved past it. Having him bust the patsy and stop her interview with Stussey and order him to be released was irritating. That might be ok once a season, but he already did that with Emmit.

Season one was excellent but I had similar complaints about sheriff Bob Odenkirk stopping the investigation multiple times for no good reason. And at least he got the late season explanation that he was a super nice guy adopting orphans and was over his head as a cop. Maybe Dammik will get a similar character development?

Other than that, good episode. The Nikki/Mr. Wrench team is a lot of fun to watch, and I liked her negotiation with Vargus, and how she made some mistakes (not spotting the trenchcoat men) but was able to come out ahead. I was so glad she didn't touch the tea or briefcase. Is Mr. Wrench the only character to be in all three seasons?

Yeah. Wrench is the glue that binds Fargo. No idea why.

I think Varga has at least one more gotcha. Nikki is getting too confident and it's going to get really bad before it gets good.

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I've mentioned this before in this thread as this keeps coming up, but Odenkirk definitely had a good reason- his character believed in the natural good of people and had known Lester forever. The orphans is an extension of being a swell person, but it was more about that he couldn't see Lester as a murderer in his world view and based on his prior experience. Being over his head was also part of that, as being in a small town he had no experience really knowing what to look for.

Dick cop is certainly one dimensional, but he similarly has been presented as a military man who is a strict adherent to the simple solutions. There's also fun stuff going on in that he's trying to assert his dominance as the police chief and was from the outset ready to disregard Gloria as just trying to justify her previous position. Though yeah, it really wouldn't hurt to have a scene with him that wasn't about the case or where he's not just saying no to her.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Krispy Kareem posted:

Yeah. Wrench is the glue that binds Fargo. No idea why.

I like that he's lived up to his namesake and become the wrench in the works of Varga's plan.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Where was Mr. Wrench in season 2?

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Heavily implied that it's him and Mr.Numbers who are the kids playing baseball that Hanzee walks up to at the very very end.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Probably kindergarten?

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

EatinCake posted:

Heavily implied that it's him and Mr.Numbers who are the kids playing baseball that Hanzee walks up to at the very very end.

ohhhhhh, I forgot about that

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

If you think about it, this guy has been involved with what is implied to be the crime syndicate in Fargo for his whole adult life and he learned from Hanzee of all people. Nikki's pretty good but I figure the plan to steal the truck and corner Varga in a hotel lobby with no backup isn't all her.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
i feel like gloria will play a single important role in the next episode.

she can help.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Or she thinks she can but actually cannot​. Just like the Android.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

anime was right posted:

i feel like gloria will play a single important role in the next episode.

she can help.

She will use her EM-nullification field (she can control it now) to go through the microwave hallway and shut down the Alien ship before it launches.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

My Lovely Horse posted:

If you think about it, this guy has been involved with what is implied to be the crime syndicate in Fargo for his whole adult life and he learned from Hanzee of all people.

I fully believe that him and Nikki are going to become Coen Universe Batman and Robin

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Shouldnt Mr. Wrench be really old in this show?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Shouldnt Mr. Wrench be really old in this show?

first season is 2006, this one is 2010

• Locked thread