Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

I hope Jane-E gets to bring DougieCoop to "Dr.Ben" next episode, it'll be interesting to see if his condition can be explained in scientific terms or if there is going to be all of this inexplicable data, like evidence that he's been IVing creamed corn and drinking engine oil for the past 25 years. I personally don't mind how long we stay with brain-blasted Cooper because I'm loving all those scenes, but I would enjoy seeing a professional really trying to measure the guy's cognitive abilities

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I'm really liking the weird way he's interrupting lives around him.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

Phi230 posted:

How's coffee? Huh?

Howwsss coffee? Hahahaha

Howss cofffeeeeee? ahahahaha

*Naomi Watts looks in horror

Worth it just for the screaming and angry posts.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Phi230 posted:

How's coffee? Huh?

Howwsss coffee? Hahahaha

Howss cofffeeeeee? ahahahaha

*Naomi Watts looks in horror
*sips green tea latte*

Speaking of Naomi, should I go see this new movie she's in opening this week? She plays the mom of the kid from Room and it looks like he and Naomi tag team to kill his friend's abusive stepfather (played by Hank from Breaking Bad).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dz8R2xxeyaA

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Speaking of Naomi, should I go see this new movie she's in opening this week? She plays the mom of the kid from Room and it looks like he and Naomi tag team to kill his friend's abusive stepfather (played by Hank from Breaking Bad).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dz8R2xxeyaA

No.

Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ginette Reno posted:

I kinda wish this was released all at once because it feels like a show that should be binge watched. Ep6 didn't feel like it was all that self contained. It felt like a pretty arbitrarily broken up hour of TV. I still liked it of course, but dang if it didn't feel incomplete without ep7 to immediately follow it.

Yep exactly. They should have released the whole thing at once. I have so much other poo poo im watching at the moment that whatever minor details I should have remembered for the future episodes are long gone by now. I vaguely remember a few scenes from the first part, it feels like I watched it months ago lol.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Confounding Factor posted:

Yep exactly. They should have released the whole thing at once. I have so much other poo poo im watching at the moment that whatever minor details I should have remembered for the future episodes are long gone by now. I vaguely remember a few scenes from the first part, it feels like I watched it months ago lol.

This is why the "fractal rewatch" approach is so great.

I love the way they're doing this, ultimately. It's just so utterly unapologetic about being exactly what it wants to be.

Someone said before how this feels like more of a sequel to FWWM than the Twin Peaks series proper, and I think that's exactly right, too... Good thing I always thought FWWM was like pure concentrated Twin Peaks awesomeness, even moreso than The Pilot.

Hey, random casting question for anyone who knows, which I will spoilertag because it does involve casting and hence possible future episodes: Is Chris Isaak confirmed on the cast list? With the reappearance of the Fat Trout Trailer Park and Carl Rodd, I am very curious if there's any chance we see Chet Desmond again. I always liked Agent Desmond - he had his own M.O.

kaworu fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jun 15, 2017

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

i hope when all is said and done that showtime releases an actual 18-hour movie version of the show without credits for each ep. because i'll sit and watch the whole dang thing at once

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
With how long this season is it'll actually run until around GoT ends lmao.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

kaworu posted:

Hey, random casting question for anyone who knows, which I will spoilertag because it does involve casting and hence possible future episodes: Is Chris Isaak confirmed on the cast list? With the reappearance of the Fat Trout Trailer Park and Carl Rodd, I am very curious if there's any chance we see Chet Desmond again. I always liked Agent Desmond - he had his own M.O.
It's not listed on his IMDB or on the Wiki.

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy
dougie is in this weird space for me. on one hand, i really am enjoying the physical humor and mclachlan does an amazing job emoting as this mentally challenged guy. on the other hand, coop coming back could be handled in the dumbest, most jarring scene ever and i wouldn't even care because coop is fuckin back.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

romanowski posted:

i hope when all is said and done that showtime releases an actual 18-hour movie version of the show without credits for each ep. because i'll sit and watch the whole dang thing at once

Would you get rid of the musical acts under the credits or just lose the credit text?

I kinda feel like the credits are needed. The show feels like a free dive with no oxygen tank. The credits gives you a chance to come up for air before you dive back down into the murky waters.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I'm often liking the credits sequences. Like I loved that ending shot of episode 5 of Cooper just looking at the statue as Windswept played.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
I was jazzed as hell for more Twin Peaks and loved the first few episodes, but I'm so tired of Dougie's Stupid Shenanigans Power Hour. If everything else about this season so far was identical except that Cooper woke up in the fourth or fifth episode and started his plot line, I would be in love with this season.

We only have so much time left in this world. We're already a third of the way through. Every minute we're loving around with Dougie is an agonizing waste to me.

I'm just sad, I guess.

surf rock fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jun 15, 2017

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijcTx6vBoJw

Pokemaster #421
Jul 14, 2005

For a swift one at the wrist, down on the old main drag.
Eh I was the same way for a bit until I realized there's probably a decent chance that dougcoop is going to be with us for a good while longer, maybe even almost to the end. I just get the sense that it's going to take someone like hawk or new sheriff to track him down and help him recover his mind, and I Def think there's going to be a showdown with tiny assassin while he's still all dougied up.

It was at that point I realized I needed to switch my frame of mind, and I've really come around on it. And then I saw the elevator scene this week with him grinning like a goofball and I realized that now I love the dougie

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Moments of hilarity aside, I just can't get over how depressing it is.

Brain cancer and major strokes are the saddest things I've ever seen. Sheriff Truman's wife is spot on for someone I knew, too. Lynch is doing a good job of showcasing psychic damage so far.

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jun 15, 2017

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

kaworu posted:

I really really hope so.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I will be thrilled when Cooper is finally "back".

But I will miss Dougie when he is gone :unsmith:

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Jerusalem posted:

I will be thrilled when Cooper is finally "back".

But I will miss Dougie when he is gone :unsmith:

this is the best opinion.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

There is room enough in this world for both black coffee and green tea lattes, folks. Find the time to enjoy both.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
oh god i forgot about that scene. i'm going to rewatch it right now

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Accretionist posted:

Moments of hilarity aside, I just can't get over how depressing it is.

Brain cancer and major strokes are the saddest things I've ever seen. Sheriff Truman's wife is spot on for someone I knew, too. Lynch is doing a good job of showcasing psychic damage so far.

The best comedy is also crushingly sad. Don Quixote is about a guy who loses his mind and causes damage to the ones he loves. As he gains notoriety people play a bunch of tricks on him for lols. Only when he's dying does he realise his entire quest was in vain.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

You'll see it's all a show, keep 'em laughing as you go, just remember that the last laugh is on you...

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.

J_RBG posted:

The best comedy is also crushingly sad. Don Quixote is about a guy who loses his mind and causes damage to the ones he loves. As he gains notoriety people play a bunch of tricks on him for lols. Only when he's dying does he realise his entire quest was in vain.

uh spoilers dude

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

J_RBG posted:

Strongly disagree. Dr. Strangelove isn't sad at all.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

this is the best opinion.

I'd love it if Coop comes back, fucks over Evil Coop, gets HIM sent to the black lodge, which somehow turns him into a Dougie-like.... so then we get Coop helping out 'Dougie' :toot: We all win (except for Evil Coop).

ricro
Dec 22, 2008

And More posted:

Strongly disagree. Dr. Strangelove isn't sad at all.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Actually the best comedy is dumb and dumber starring Jim Carey and Jeff Daniels

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

hawowanlawow posted:

Actually the best comedy is dumb and dumber starring Jim Carey and Jeff Daniels

I can agree with this.

Though the only comedy I've legitimately laughed out loud at recently was Jason Bateman's' "Bad Words".

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

I think everyone may want to curb their expectations on Coop "coming back" and what that will actually be like. Even if he snaps to in the next episode, is 100% "there" mentally, etc. he's still going to have frozen caveman syndrome with the world in general. It would be surprising if he was reintegrated into the FBI as a full special agent or whatever. A crazy assassin dude with his face has been wreaking havoc for decades. And he will most likely be a changed man from his time in limbo. I dunno, I could easily eat my words on this -because who can even pretend to predict what Lynch will do - but I don't think the returning Coop is going to be the same chipper guy throwing rocks and bottles and going on about trees he was. I don't think he's going to jump in and take the lead on the South Dakota murder case.

I guess in short, I'm sure Dale Cooper is going to recover and reappear at some point, but there's no way to know who Dale Cooper is and what he's going to be about once he does. Maybe this is so obvious it has gone without saying. The question isn't when Dougie-Coop is going to un-baby himself. The question is what it means to be Dale Cooper, Black Lodge Escapee, home 25 years later.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I want Cooper to come back next episode and then the next eleven episodes are a Fish Out of Water comedy as he adjusts to all the technological advances made in the last 25 years. Just a five minute, one take shot of Cooper fumbling with a smart phone without any soundtrack. Coop trying to comprehend Starbuck's cup sizes. Coop crashing a hoverboard.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Ingmar terdman posted:

I think everyone may want to curb their expectations on Coop "coming back" and what that will actually be like. Even if he snaps to in the next episode, is 100% "there" mentally, etc. he's still going to have frozen caveman syndrome with the world in general.

That is, unless he somehow "merges" with evil Coop, who has been out in the wild this whole time. I could imagine this being the case. We're kind of assuming that Dougie is Coop, but what if that's only the "good, innocent" half, and evil Coop is the other half.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

caligulamprey posted:

I want Cooper to come back next episode and then the next eleven episodes are a Fish Out of Water comedy as he adjusts to all the technological advances made in the last 25 years. Just a five minute, one take shot of Cooper fumbling with a smart phone without any soundtrack. Coop trying to comprehend Starbuck's cup sizes. Coop crashing a hoverboard.

Yeah he and Lucy are going to terrify each other for an hour with their iPhones, with Lynch's phone rant audible off-set

Polo-Rican posted:

That is, unless he somehow "merges" with evil Coop, who has been out in the wild this whole time. I could imagine this being the case. We're kind of assuming that Dougie is Coop, but what if that's only the "good, innocent" half, and evil Coop is the other half.

True enough, trying to hash out "rules" for Lodge stuff and doppelgangers is futile

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I wouldn't call what Lynch said a "rant"

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
cooper and evil cooper have to kiss to break the spell

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

hawowanlawow posted:

I wouldn't call what Lynch said a "rant"

I admit, I watch this show on my 'loving phone'. :smith:

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.

Ingmar terdman posted:

I think everyone may want to curb their expectations on Coop "coming back" and what that will actually be like.
I don't even want "old Cooper" back at this point, I just want him to be able to walk into a room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I admit, I watch this show on my 'loving phone'. :smith:

Well, his "rant" was 10 years ago when the best possible phone watching experience was a 3.5" screen with a 3:2 aspect ratio at 320x480. He was absolutely right at the time. Now that most phones are around 5" at 1080p, and even the el-cheapo specials are 720, I don't think anyone would shame you for it, even Lynch.