Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

nine16thsdago posted:

I have a (original verizon, now on Fi, never unlocked or rooted) nexus 5x which suddenly rebooted and got stuck in a boot loop. it will not finish booting no matter what I do.

is there anything else i can/should do before dealing with LG support?

Nope, it's hosed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

nine16thsdago posted:

I have a (original verizon, now on Fi, never unlocked or rooted) nexus 5x which suddenly rebooted and got stuck in a boot loop. it will not finish booting no matter what I do.

is there anything else i can/should do before dealing with LG support?

It's a known and fairly common issue, no workarounds.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Be sure to join the class action suit.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

If you have any files on it that aren't backed up, some people have said they had temporary success sticking their phone in the freezer for half an hour and then booting it up. It might stay alive long enough for you to recover your things.

nine16thsdago
Jun 29, 2005
fprintf(stderr, "this should never print\n");
thanks, all. from 1st-page google results, it seems that LG are being reasonable about it? i picked up a pixel XL locally so i have time to deal with an extended replacement turnaround.

Severedseven
Jun 6, 2007

Heavy and light
My original nexus 6 just stopped taking a charge today. I'm looking at the pixel but is there any reason I shouldn't get one? Is there anything cheaper/better?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Severedseven posted:

My original nexus 6 just stopped taking a charge today. I'm looking at the pixel but is there any reason I shouldn't get one? Is there anything cheaper/better?

Yes there are cheaper phones, but no there are not cheaper and better phones

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

If you're going to get a Pixel, i'd look at swappa for a deal on a used one then hold out for the pixel 2 if your upgrade is up.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

nine16thsdago posted:

thanks, all. from 1st-page google results, it seems that LG are being reasonable about it?

Yeah I didn't really have any issues getting them to repair mine. They really should have done a recall on their lovely hardware though. Most people who have had received repairs/replacements have had the phones die again in 3-9 months, so it's time to move on.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Yea once you get the replacement sell it and buy something else

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I took this picture from a train today. The pixel camera is really good!!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Jesus, that's gorgeous. And I thought I lived near beautiful mountains. Canadian Rockies?

Severedseven
Jun 6, 2007

Heavy and light

vyst posted:

If you're going to get a Pixel, i'd look at swappa for a deal on a used one then hold out for the pixel 2 if your upgrade is up.

Is there anything close that's currently on the market? Are the LG G6 or the HTC U11 worth looking at or will I just regret picking one of those up once the pixel 2 hits in the fall?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
What the Pixel offers, at least from my understanding, is smoothness and responsiveness comparable to IOS, something you won't find on any other Android device.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Also top of the line camera (though not inarguably better than the G6 or HTC), much better update and software support situation (though nowhere near Apple), and better customer support (if you buy from Google, at least). If you want something cheaper, the usual recommendation is the current Moto G, which right now is the G5+. The $400-500 range (in the U.S.) is an awkward middle ground where you don't get much if any more than the budget ~$200ish Moto, and still lack the software and support situation of the Pixel.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah; there are phones out there that out-spec the pixel, but the Pixel's optimised far beyond anything else put out by far.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Samsung let the domain of one of their abandoned bloatware apps expire, allowing a security researcher to snap it up. He theoretically could have pushed malicious code to over 600 million devices.

http://phandroid.com/2017/06/15/samsung-exposed-millions-to-hacking/

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

bull3964 posted:

Samsung let the domain of one of their abandoned bloatware apps expire, allowing a security researcher to snap it up. He theoretically could have pushed malicious code to over 600 million devices.

http://phandroid.com/2017/06/15/samsung-exposed-millions-to-hacking/

Certainly not a good look with security issues looming, but depending on the protocol that doesn't mean he would have been able to push apps to devices.

Fame Douglas fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Jun 15, 2017

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

The app does have the install packages permission, so it can install whatever apps it wants.

It's just not clear to me from a quick look that being in control of the domain gives you the ability to push app installations. It could very well be that the app gets a list of installable apps from the domain when the user opens the app and there's no push functionality there. On the other hand it could very well be that there is push functionality just like the Play Store has. Regardless, I'm not exactly confident that Samsung doesn't have the ability to push apps in there if only by accident.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Incessant Excess posted:

What the Pixel offers, at least from my understanding, is smoothness and responsiveness comparable to IOS, something you won't find on any other Android device.

As someone that has used both galaxy s8 and pixel xl and this is really the biggest thing for me.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

RVProfootballer posted:

Also top of the line camera (though not inarguably better than the G6 or HTC), much better update and software support situation (though nowhere near Apple), and better customer support (if you buy from Google, at least). If you want something cheaper, the usual recommendation is the current Moto G, which right now is the G5+. The $400-500 range (in the U.S.) is an awkward middle ground where you don't get much if any more than the budget ~$200ish Moto, and still lack the software and support situation of the Pixel.

Yeah, as a Certified Phone Obsessed Nerd who has like 4 phones atm, the Pixel/XL is by far the best for these reasons. The support also recently amazed me on my personal Pixel XL, with the freezing issue. They shipped out a "refurbished" replacement (it was clearly completely brand new) with no hesitation, and were friendly, fast, and useful through the instant support chat in the settings app.

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

I would also say that the announcement that Google hired a SoC architect is a good sign that they will also be designing their own CPU, which means that they will be able to support their phones for much longer than the 2 years they are capable of now. Qualcomm is known for only supporting their CPUs for 2 years or so and then completely dropping support (they want people to buy new phones so they can sell more hardware).

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Thermopyle posted:

The app does have the install packages permission, so it can install whatever apps it wants.

It's just not clear to me from a quick look that being in control of the domain gives you the ability to push app installations. It could very well be that the app gets a list of installable apps from the domain when the user opens the app and there's no push functionality there. On the other hand it could very well be that there is push functionality just like the Play Store has. Regardless, I'm not exactly confident that Samsung doesn't have the ability to push apps in there if only by accident.

The bigger issue is that it shows how broken Samsung is internally from a process perspective. They are unable to keep track of all their various project dependencies and apparent have no real decommissioning plans for things other than outright abandoning them. There's no real defensible reason to let a domain that's in use by one of their apps lapse. Even if it doesn't have access to do much by default, it suddenly becomes a very juicy target to find an exploit if millions handsets are regularly pinging the domain.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

HolyDukeNukem posted:

I would also say that the announcement that Google hired a SoC architect is a good sign that they will also be designing their own CPU, which means that they will be able to support their phones for much longer than the 2 years they are capable of now. Qualcomm is known for only supporting their CPUs for 2 years or so and then completely dropping support (they want people to buy new phones so they can sell more hardware).

Why would Google be any more motivated to support their phones for 2+ years if they start making even more profit on the hardware? They'll have more of an incentive to plan obsolescence than before.

Also, I'm not terribly optimistic given the way Google dragged their feet on fixing critical bugs for the Nexus phones.

Severedseven
Jun 6, 2007

Heavy and light
I just discovered that this old nexus has wireless qi charging and it still works but all I have is a desktop monitor that has a charging pad. Does anyone have any recommendations for chargers? I'm probably just delaying its eventual death but If I can just drag a few more months out of this phone I'll be happy.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Severedseven posted:

I just discovered that this old nexus has wireless qi charging and it still works but all I have is a desktop monitor that has a charging pad. Does anyone have any recommendations for chargers? I'm probably just delaying its eventual death but If I can just drag a few more months out of this phone I'll be happy.

We recommended the Tylt Vu until Google stopped putting Qi in their phones but it's expensive. The nice thing about it is that you can just toss the phone on there and it will charge, you don't have to position it but still $70 is a lot for a stopgap. I can confirm it works with the Nexus 6.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I used to have a chinese knockoff of the tylt vue that was like twenty bucks and it was good, I'm sure they still sell them on Amazon

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
If we're talking chargers: recommendation for a travel charger (ie, smaller = better) that can do both USB-C and micro-USB so I can charge my tablet and phone away from home?

I guess a good charger with USB-A ports and two cables (A-to-micro and A-to-C) would also work, but I'd like it to charge my Nexus 5x (and future phones) semi-quickly.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

LastInLine posted:

We recommended the Tylt Vu until Google stopped putting Qi in their phones but it's expensive. The nice thing about it is that you can just toss the phone on there and it will charge, you don't have to position it but still $70 is a lot for a stopgap. I can confirm it works with the Nexus 6.

They haven't been $70 for awhile. $20 on Amazon right now. I have 3 of these sitting around my house. I miss wireless charging

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Uthor posted:

If we're talking chargers: recommendation for a travel charger (ie, smaller = better) that can do both USB-C and micro-USB so I can charge my tablet and phone away from home?

I guess a good charger with USB-A ports and two cables (A-to-micro and A-to-C) would also work, but I'd like it to charge my Nexus 5x (and future phones) semi-quickly.

Sorry to say, there isn't one right now.

If your want to future proof, just buy a 2nd Google OEM C charger and get a spec compliant microA to C cable.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
Whats up with Samsung pay mag strip showing declined?

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Wow did Google actually fix their lovely Bluetooth stack? It just works in my car flawlessly every time all of a sudden. I can't remember anything changing on my end and their last update was a week or two ago so perhaps thats it. Finally an end to the "just get an iPhone" line from my girlfriend, at least for a little while.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

bull3964 posted:

Sorry to say, there isn't one right now.

If your want to future proof, just buy a 2nd Google OEM C charger and get a spec compliant microA to C cable.

That works. Are C to micro cables generally safe, or do I need to hunt for a good one like I have to for A to C cables?

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

The Gunslinger posted:

Wow did Google actually fix their lovely Bluetooth stack? It just works in my car flawlessly every time all of a sudden. I can't remember anything changing on my end and their last update was a week or two ago so perhaps thats it. Finally an end to the "just get an iPhone" line from my girlfriend, at least for a little while.

yeah my HTC M7 would keep dropping in my Mazda 3, reconnecting, dropping, etc. Usually did it for about 15 minutes before it would stabilize and not drop anymore. Which meant it was useless for my 20 minute commute.

My pixel XL connects everytime fast as can be. My wife is one of those "just get an iphone" people too, the pixel's put a stop to that.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
I have a Nexus 5x, not a Pixel but yeah it seems like some update fixed something. Used to drop or refuse to connect constantly, was so loving annoying. I just read a line about bluetooth optimization in one of the security updates, that must have been it.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

The Gunslinger posted:

I definitely am getting better bluetooth connectivity/performance for audio in my car but I cannot pinpoint when that improved, you could be right.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
So I broke my Galaxy S7 Edge+ and bought a Blu R1 as a temporary hold over until my upgrade came up. What was temporary turned out to be a lot longer as the Blu actually didn't annoy me THAT much and I figured I could hold out until the iPhone X or whatever and decide what to do.

Well I broke the screen on the R1 and it was starting to get laggy anyways so I'm looking for another temporary phone.

https://www.amazon.com/Nextbit-Robin-Factory-Unlocked-Smartphone/dp/B01D3Q8EGY/?tag=at88-20

Any reason not to pick that up for $130?

Things I Want:

NFC
VoLTE
Fingerprint

It runs Nougat, everything else looks solid, not great but good enough, especially at that price point. I get that it's EOL but as a temporary phone while I wait on the Note or iPhone X or maybe even a heavily discounted S8 is there another phone I should be considering for $130 at at least has NFC and Fingerprint? VoLTE is not a deal killer nor is Nougat but I would like it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Uthor posted:

That works. Are C to micro cables generally safe, or do I need to hunt for a good one like I have to for A to C cables?

Look for USB-IF certified ones. I picked up a couple of Belkin models.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Worked for me earlier today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Worked for me last time I tried it.

(In September 2016)

(Before I returned my Note 7)