Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday
Capaldi should regenerate into Colin, who will trip on a brick and regenerate, also into Colin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MixxMaster
Sep 15, 2005
Some pretty "out there" potential spoilers on Series 11, courtesy of a reddit user on /r/gallifrey:

As you may of heard, there are hints that Chibnall may be adopting a format similar to his famed show Broadchurch. A series long overarching story that is the focus of every episode. Well my source informs me the Broadchurch route is the case.

1: Series 11 will have 8 episodes, with the running time now being on average 55 minutes to 1 hour in length.

2: Chibnall wants a strong cast of supporting characters, not just a focus on the Companion or Companions. Chibnall also wants a greater supporting cast of Time Lord Characters, so a plethora of both new and classic Time Lords will be introduced and reintroduced into the show. The Master will be taking a backseat for a series or two and may not appear at all for a long time. This according to my source is to allow the new and returning Time Lord characters a chance to shine.

3: The overall tone of the series is aiming to be a mix of Tennant's ERA and Capaldi's. Meaning lots of action, energy and vibrancy but also a strong presence of maturity and shades of emotional darkness.

4: The story will be a series long conflict between the Great Vampires (not all dead) who have returned in force to the universe. Gallifrey is now back as a major player but is still rebuilding itself from the aftermath of the Time War which has left it in a vulnerable position and matters turn worse when it finds itself embroiled in a war against the Vampires. My source says The Great Vampires use an army of Ancient Time Lord soldiers who they turned into vampires long, long ago as their foot soldiers. The actual Great Vampires are rarely seen and instead a Time Lord Vampire General who leads the Ancient Time Lord Vampires serves as their "mouth" so to speak and is arguably the main antagonist of series 11.

5: This Vampire General (source did not give them a name) is a tragic character as are all the ancient Time Lord Vampires, Chibnall did not want a totally evil Villain and wants to focus on the emotion of the Villains as well as the Heroes, character drama is something Chibnall does extremely well. The Great Vampires themselves however are utterly sadistic, uncaring and villainous however. The 13th Doctor will spend the entire series trying to outwit these vampires and find the location of the Great Vampires.

6: The rumours about the show airing on Sundays are also true according to my source. Chibnall as a viewer of the past few series, grew frustrated at the various incoherent times the show would air and wants a smooth and stable time slot for the show. He wants the show to air at 7:PM every Sunday. My source says Chibnall thinks Saturdays are too messy and are filled with threats to the shows stability.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

YYYYikes. I hope that isn't true, because the only parts of it I like is moving to Sundays for the sake of stability (and, depending on how it works, a strong cast of supporting characters outside of the companions).

If we're going to mine one story for an entire season, neither the Time Lords nor the Great Vampires seem like interesting choices to me. The tragic vampire thing has been done to absolute death, and reducing the episode count to eight is less than ideal. Like, I can even see someone figuring on bringing the Time Lords back as criticism of corrupt moral authority, imperialism and xenophobia, sure, that's timely, but not when the plot is that some vampires have turned some of them.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Yeah but LOL if the BBC or whoever mandated that they need to find a way to get women back into the show so they went full Twilight with it

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

That sounds really bad. Really bad. Wasn't the story going around that Chibnall was going to have more stand alone episodes, with a writers room that had people come to him with ideas for stories and let them run with it, and very little overarching plot? Weird that this says the exact opposite of that.

It's hard to imagine how they're going to strike a light Tennant like tone with that plot. Well, unless they specifically meant the end of his era, Time Lord Victorious, I don't want to go, tragic poo poo.

BBC tells him to bring people back to the show like they had with Tennant and Smith, and they go the other way. Odd choice.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I

Have no idea how this could go.

It would certainly be different

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I can't remember if the State of Decay vampires have to drink blood, but if they cast a guy in his 20s as the vampire general and use the "need for blood-drinking as a metaphor for drug addiction" trope for sympathy and lean heavy on it for 8 episodes, I'm going to groan loud enough to bother the neighbors.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
gently caress what you all say that sounds cool and different

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

I've also heard that Chris Chibnall isn't happy with how fan-centric the show has gotten so I'm not at all convinced that they'd bring back the villains from one story in 1980. I wouldn't mind one long story or more Time Lord characters, though.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
That seems really unlikely ("we need to win back viewers who've stopped watching since the show changed from what they liked, let's drastically reinvent everything about it") but a long-form story arc with fewer, longer episodes could be interesting. Shame about the plot details.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Wait, the vampires weren't just novel wankery? I saw then on the wiki and assumed they were awful poo poo written by an idiot.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I mean, Doctor Who can do that. Is it a good idea? Will it happen? I dunno, but the show definitely can do that.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Honestly I think it would be a popular change if it happened - people love epic serialized poo poo these days with minimum quality for standards - but I'd drop the show if it's true.

Dabir posted:

Wait, the vampires weren't just novel wankery? I saw then on the wiki and assumed they were awful poo poo written by an idiot.

loving HATE how the doctor who wiki treats everything as canon and doesn't use separate sections for different mediums in a show that's been going since the dawn of television.

I can't even look up the valeyard out of curiosity about the former rumors and tell in a reasonable amount of time what happened on the show and what happened in some trashy fan novel no one's ever read.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

This is also one random person on Reddit, for what it's worth.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
It sounds more like a Big Finish audio spinoff than DW proper.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Timby posted:

This is also one random person on Reddit, for what it's worth.

True, but it's still fun to discuss the possibility.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Hemingway To Go! posted:

loving HATE how the doctor who wiki treats everything as canon and doesn't use separate sections for different mediums in a show that's been going since the dawn of television.

I can't even look up the valeyard out of curiosity about the former rumors and tell in a reasonable amount of time what happened on the show and what happened in some trashy fan novel no one's ever read.

The "best" part of the wiki is that when the same event is covered in several different mediums in a different way (like the origins of the Pratt/Beevers Master) they just go "according to one account..." So irritating.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Posterior

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
the TARDIS wiki has articles describing what a coccyx is but refuses to have a category for LGBT characters, it's nothing but trash.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

I never thought anything would top the Wookiepedia page for "Breast". I was wrong.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Good news guys. That's all bullshit.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

PriorMarcus posted:

Blessings be upon you, good sir.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

PriorMarcus posted:

I figured it'd have to be

Like, that sounds like a set up for a mini series- Tochwood Children of Earth kind of thing.

Not a series of Doctor Who

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
idk, it sounds plausible to me except for SPACE VAMPIRES as a villain. Like if they did this it would be Daleks or Cybermen and they'd enlist some other monsters too. They'd just invent some more characters on their side.

But a shorter series with longer episodes and all serialized, and more intrigue with the time lords and the villains and stuff is probably going to happen at some point, because it's what everyone wants, even if I prefer individual stories of crazy ideas. It's also easier to make people accept bad writers if their episode isn't really just an individual story but part of the EPIC SEASON LONG STORY. If Chibnall's first season doesn't work out, I could see them trying this.

Except no great vampires. Seriously, of all the villains to choose in your bait from a show that's been going on this long.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

With all the things Chibnall reportedly doesn't like about the current show I'm just wondering what he actually does like.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Hemingway To Go! posted:

idk, it sounds plausible to me except for SPACE VAMPIRES as a villain. Like if they did this it would be Daleks or Cybermen and they'd enlist some other monsters too. They'd just invent some more characters on their side.

But a shorter series with longer episodes and all serialized, and more intrigue with the time lords and the villains and stuff is probably going to happen at some point, because it's what everyone wants, even if I prefer individual stories of crazy ideas. It's also easier to make people accept bad writers if their episode isn't really just an individual story but part of the EPIC SEASON LONG STORY. If Chibnall's first season doesn't work out, I could see them trying this.

Except no great vampires. Seriously, of all the villains to choose in your bait from a show that's been going on this long.

I just suddenly realized.

Chibnall could do that but with the villain from The Power of Three.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I heard that Miranda Hart is the new Doctor and shes going to regularly break the fourth wall because they want the show to have a Mrs Browns Boys vibe to it in an attempt at creating a cross generational hit. The companion is going to be a sassy Dalek and they're eyeing up Rob Schneider as The Master to appeal to an American audience.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

PriorMarcus posted:

Hooray!

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Gorn Myson posted:

the companion is going to be a sassy Dalek

this should happen though

Cruel Rose
May 27, 2010

saaave gotham~
come on~
DO IT, BATMAN
FUCKING BATMAN I FUCKING HATE YOU

DoctorWhat posted:

the TARDIS wiki has articles describing what a coccyx is but refuses to have a category for LGBT characters, it's nothing but trash.

I remember when they were super in denial about Missy being the Master and insisted on waiting for the next episode to make sure she "wasn't lying"

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The new season is just a sitcom where Davros and the Doctor have to be roommates.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Gorn Myson posted:

I heard that Miranda Hart is the new Doctor and shes going to regularly break the fourth wall because they want the show to have a Mrs Browns Boys vibe to it in an attempt at creating a cross generational hit. The companion is going to be a sassy Dalek and they're eyeing up Rob Schneider as The Master to appeal to an American audience.

Bad news guys. This is all true.

But no, seriously, the Chibnall thing is bullshit. Everything I've heard is the opposite of that in terms of what the BBC wants and that Chibnall has in mind.

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!
Every episode should deal with interesting time paradoxes.

In the opening story, the Doctor and his companion are ambushed by a Dalek taskforce. All but one of the Daleks is gold, the odd one out is grey with blue baubles.
The Dalek Empire was very prejudiced at that time and the grey and blue Daleks were relegated to menial tasks. So the Doctor has to discover what the odd Dalek is doing there and if it involves time manipulation.

The next episode will involve a Cybus Cyberman on Mondas and the next one after that with a variety of Sontarans.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
For real though, I am SHOCKED we haven't stooped as low as to have a Cyberman or Dalek companion.

That's a hell of an achievement

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Burkion posted:

For real though, I am SHOCKED we haven't stooped as low as to have a Cyberman or Dalek companion.

We had part of a Cyberman companion.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

Burkion posted:

handles doesn't count? guess not. one episode only anyway

and "you are a good dalek" is still out there too...

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

remusclaw posted:

We had part of a Cyberman companion.

It didn't even have the man part. It was just a Cyber.

We've had loads of those.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Handles was truly the best of us all.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
well done mate :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Gorn Myson posted:

The companion is going to be a sassy Dalek

They already had one, she made souffles.

• Locked thread