Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Yeah I don't really have a problem going "oh my opponent has tyranids let me see what has and hasn't worked against tyranids and adjust", but even then I'm taking 4 lascannons and a bunch of plasma, grav, and multiple damage melee weapons because he might zag on me and bring his 10 MCs and 20 warriors. Dude's got an awesome 4th ed collection. This list would get overwhelmed by an armor skew but would still perform well if I bring it and our 4th ed death guard player decided to finally bring her stuff and try 8th.

People that look at what models you have then build a list are scum.

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Jun 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Black_Nexus posted:

I have some sisters, I'll try to get a good picture of them

Any update on these? Trying to wrap things up so srm can create the OP

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
Reading Dark Imperium and an early battle features the Unnumbered Sons, which are basically a melting pot of Primaris Marines who haven't been split off into chapters yet and fight in big numbers and all have different armor colors indicating the Primarch they came from. That could be fun for a tabletop army to have the most colorful space marines ever.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

bonds0097 posted:

Reading Dark Imperium and an early battle features the Unnumbered Sons, which are basically a melting pot of Primaris Marines who haven't been split off into chapters yet and fight in big numbers and all have different armor colors indicating the Primarch they came from. That could be fun for a tabletop army to have the most colorful space marines ever.

Wonder if they'll have squads like that of 20 models like legion squads, primaris is taking a lot of cues from legion organization.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
JackMack sounds good mate haha, I'll see what Adam is doing! Immortalised for his ability to not completely repulse one of the few women in WHW.

I'll happily try 8th ed for the day!

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

chutche2 posted:

Wonder if they'll have squads like that of 20 models like legion squads, primaris is taking a lot of cues from legion organization.

Yeah, from what I've heard of Primaris gameplay, it's very similar to playing a 30k army, what with mono-weapon squads and buff-bubble HQs.

Soggy Chips
Sep 26, 2006

Fear is the mind killer
How would you guys suspect a Primaris list will hold out vs a horde?
Inceptors have got a decent bit pewpew but there's only 3 of them per squad.

(waiting for box to arrive to play first game of 40k)

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Yeah I dunno. Inceptors are great to have a squad or two of, but you can't really rely on that for anti horde because of how expensive they are. You can bring two heavy bolter devastator squads and some change for 1 inceptor squad. They're really nice for the mobility but don't lean on them for anti horde since they're really inefficient. For 60 less points you can bring stormtalons. Depends on if you're willing to take non bigly vehicles in your bigly list

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Jun 15, 2017

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

bonds0097 posted:

I always kind of wanted to a Space Marine Crusade with mix and match SM, but I think it's like the old Bretonnian armies where you had to be quite thoughtful about it to make it not look like poo poo - tying them together with shared colours or so on so it was less visually distressing than the GW house army.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Corrode posted:

I always kind of wanted to a Space Marine Crusade with mix and match SM, but I think it's like the old Bretonnian armies where you had to be quite thoughtful about it to make it not look like poo poo - tying them together with shared colours or so on so it was less visually distressing than the GW house army.

Yeah, you'd want to do something more like 'Deathwatch' than'Clown Party' where you have large areas of shared colors and accents (shoulder pads, knee pads, maybe helmets) that are varied to indicate geneseed origin.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
The iBooks enhanced version of the indexes allow you to see the points value of a unit's weapons from the unit entry.

Thank Christ.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

Corrode posted:

Look at this wussy rear end poo poo. Rainbow or bust.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
In the novel they have grey armour (like unpainted ceramite) with their legion colour on a shoulder pad.

So colourful but not overwhelming.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Thundercloud posted:

In the novel they have grey armour (like unpainted ceramite) with their legion colour on a shoulder pad.

So colourful but not overwhelming.

Kinda like the Deathwatch?

I was thinking of going Deathwatch with my biglies anyway (assuming I don't sell em on), probably without the special shoulders as I'm not sure if I have enough already and I can't be bothered picking up more upgrade sprues :).

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Kinda finding the Drew Carey's weird now that I'm actually reading their stuff.

At least in terms of HQs/buffs its like they're three separate mini-factions that sorta share the same army list.

Kabal, Cult, and Coven units only get buffs from their respective character types. Incubi only get buffs from Drazhar, Mandrakes get no character buffs.

Though, I guess, to be fair everyone gets an army-wide buff in the form of Power from Pain.

Just going to be weird re-thinking how you use things. There really isn't a benefit from having a character ride along with Incubi anymore; Archons really should go with Trueborn and Succubi with wych cult units.

And I guess my haemonculus is going to go completely unused since I have no other coven units.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

Every time I go to build gaunts for my upcoming Tyranid list I'm reminded how utterly soul destroying the kits are to clean up. I would probably pay someone to do it at this rate.

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost
Go nidzilla. I'm toying with building an Epic UK-esque brute swarm.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Kinda finding the Drew Carey's weird now that I'm actually reading their stuff.

At least in terms of HQs/buffs its like they're three separate mini-factions that sorta share the same army list.

Kabal, Cult, and Coven units only get buffs from their respective character types. Incubi only get buffs from Drazhar, Mandrakes get no character buffs.

Though, I guess, to be fair everyone gets an army-wide buff in the form of Power from Pain.

Just going to be weird re-thinking how you use things. There really isn't a benefit from having a character ride along with Incubi anymore; Archons really should go with Trueborn and Succubi with wych cult units.

And I guess my haemonculus is going to go completely unused since I have no other coven units.

Yeah I was thinking this when I was writing lists for them. The <FACTION> stuff is properly weird for DE because a "standard" army has always been more or less a free mix between the three bits they've now decided are separate factions. For most other races it only matters for special characters.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

Corrode posted:

Yeah I was thinking this when I was writing lists for them. The <FACTION> stuff is properly weird for DE because a "standard" army has always been more or less a free mix between the three bits they've now decided are separate factions. For most other races it only matters for special characters.

That said in practical terms its still a wash, if not a net gain. The Archon and Succubi grant buffs where before they were solely a hard-to-kill blaster platform and melee beatstick, respectively. They just need to have their units to synergize with. The big loss is with the Haemonculus, who were the guys you actually took to buff units.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Der Waffle Mous posted:

That said in practical terms its still a wash, if not a net gain. The Archon and Succubi grant buffs where before they were solely a hard-to-kill blaster platform and melee beatstick, respectively. They just need to have their units to synergize with. The big loss is with the Haemonculus, who were the guys you actually took to buff units.

Yeah I don't really see a role for Haemonculi now.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
I guess the Haemonculus is ok if you think breakpoints. Wracks, Grots and Taloi all give a stiff middlefinger to the weapons you'd primarily want to fire at them, with the Talos being worst off with gaining no advantage over your typical S8-9 D d6 monstermashers. Other than that you now have a wall of wracks that only take bolter wounds on a 5+, grots who only take lasgun wounds on a 6+ and so on. Also it makes no sense at all but the toughness aura works on Raiders and Venoms too.

But yeah it's weird. Wracks seem really really good on paper so Coven lists might turn out to be Wych-Cults-But-Better in the long run, will have to see. On the other hand, gently caress buying a billion wracks.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Hra Mormo posted:

I guess the Haemonculus is ok if you think breakpoints. Wracks, Grots and Taloi all give a stiff middlefinger to the weapons you'd primarily want to fire at them, with the Talos being worst off with gaining no advantage over your typical S8-9 D d6 monstermashers. Other than that you now have a wall of wracks that only take bolter wounds on a 5+, grots who only take lasgun wounds on a 6+ and so on. Also it makes no sense at all but the toughness aura works on Raiders and Venoms too.

But yeah it's weird. Wracks seem really really good on paper so Coven lists might turn out to be Wych-Cults-But-Better in the long run, will have to see. On the other hand, gently caress buying a billion wracks.

I made my wracks out of Flagellants with the fishbowl heads and Wych arms, but I had the advantage of buying like 4 of the old DE battalions at once to do that.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Corrode posted:

Again this is right from AoS.

High Elves have something like six or seven subfactions in AoS.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.
I plan on running lots of Warriors as troops and big stompy bugs while the Cult rolls up in armor and assaults from the backline :getin:

I'm led to understand Hormagaunt alpha-strikes bring the ruckus because of their enormous speed and ability to wrap and suck opposing units into CC, but Termagants can absolutely poo poo S4 shooting everywhere. I didn't ask for this, but I might have to run with cheap troops and have a full Tyranid force for how fun their gameplay looks.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
:siren:MANS PHOTOS REQUEST:siren:

Hey Zaphod/Sykic--either of you have an army/squad shot of your Thousand Sons I can use for an army banner for the new thread?

Also if anyone has an IG faction they want included, we still have room for Tallarn, Elysian, Mordian, Praetorian, Tanith, Terrax, and Vostroyan. e: And also Renegades/Lost and the Damned! If you've got some of them, post the gently caress out of them

Any submissions due before Saturday.

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jun 15, 2017

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

TKIY posted:

High Elves have something like six or seven subfactions in AoS.

Lion Rangers, while my favorite faction, is only two units. Three if you count the special character!

Scowny
Jul 11, 2006

Nice guy, that Kharne
September Ham Slam sounds good to me, though my 30k Alpha Legion will probably have to retire if we're doing 8th ed.

I've got some Praetorian IG I can get a photo of, though they're not the best painted. Is it just one for the Regiments? I can try and redo one guy for the new OP.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Lion Rangers, while my favorite faction, is only two units. Three if you count the special character!
Jesus Christ, that's a dumbass name.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Safety Factor posted:

Strangely enough, Lio'na Path-Hunters Blood-Lickers was already taken so they just did Lion Rangers.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Safety Factor posted:

GwpresentsAoS.txt

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

Resist! Humanity demands it! Resist!

TheChirurgeon posted:

Hey Zaphod/Sykic--either of you have an army/squad shot of your Thousand Sons I can use for an army banner for the new thread?

What you saw was every Thousand Son I have, sorry :(

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Sykic posted:

What you saw was every Thousand Son I have, sorry :(

That's actually perfectly fine if you can take a photo of them in a cool action pose :)

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

TheChirurgeon posted:

Also if anyone has an IG faction they want included, we still have room for Tallarn, Elysian, Mordian, Praetorian, Tanith, Terrax, and Vostroyan. e: And also Renegades/Lost and the Damned! If you've got some of them, post the gently caress out of them
Have some Tallarn veterans (with shotguns!):

If you need more dudes or a bigger spread or want me to include a vehicle or whatever, just let me know. The regular troopers (i.e. not Veterans) have the same camo pattern but with brown head-wraps.

And if you want something customized, here's a squad of Veteran mountaineering troops, made from ancient 2nd Edition StormTroopers:

Ilor fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jun 15, 2017

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Ilor posted:

Have some Tallarn veterans:

If you need more dudes or a bigger spread or want me to include a vehicle or whatever, just let me know. The regular troopers (i.e. not Veterans) have the same camo pattern but with brown head-wraps.

And if you want something customized, here's a squad of Veteran mountaineering troops, made from ancient 2nd Edition StormTroopers:

gently caress yeah. This is extremely good poo poo

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

TheChirurgeon posted:

gently caress yeah. This is extremely good poo poo
Thanks! How about some naval infantry? Here's a naval convict crew/impressed swabbies led by a Fleet rating. The convicts are the old metal Catachans, the midshipman is a Mordian.

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe

TheChirurgeon posted:

Any submissions due before Saturday.

Do you still need Harlequins? I've been busy with work until today, and I could drag them out onto a battle mat for a photo shoot but it's wasted effort if you already have a good army picture of space ICP.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Ilor posted:

Thanks! How about some naval infantry? Here's a naval convict crew/impressed swabbies led by a Fleet rating. The convicts are the old metal Catachans, the midshipman is a Mordian.

Fuuuuck yes. I love Mordian Iron Guard, and yours looks badass.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Ilor posted:

This is actually a sensible use of Mordians. Very nice.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Soggy Chips posted:

How would you guys suspect a Primaris list will hold out vs a horde?

You're doing this on purpose to hurt me, aren't you

Soggy Chips posted:

How would you guys suspect a Primaris Space Marine list will hold out vs a horde?

We'll get more Primaris over time but right now you're hamstringing yourself massively if you're making a whole list out of 2 units. You need to mix other SM, if not some guard or something as well.

TheChirurgeon posted:

I stripped the majority of my dudes to re-paint them the new teal color (had them in red/gold pre-heresy colors before) and haven't really finished them since I got upset at the 8th rules for psykers and paused them to work on Orks and Tyranids instead :shobon: (I am *really* excited about this Tyranid/GSC paint scheme I'm working on now though!)

I've got some finished cultists but the Rubrics are just varying levels of base-coated. Hopefully Sykic can get ya.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jun 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Soulfucker posted:

Do you still need Harlequins? I've been busy with work until today, and I could drag them out onto a battle mat for a photo shoot but it's wasted effort if you already have a good army picture of space ICP.

I've got Harlequins already, but thanks. You should still post photos of them when it isn't a hassle to do so, though!

Zaphod42 posted:

I stripped the majority of my dudes to re-paint them the new teal color (had them in red/gold pre-heresy colors before) and haven't really finished them since I got upset at the 8th rules for psykers and paused them to work on Orks and Tyranids instead :shobon:

The saddest part of this is that I think having a bunch of Smite-wielding squads may actually be really strong and makes Thousand Sons worth looking at

Ilor posted:

Owns

• Locked thread