Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

B B posted:

I don't really know much about Senate procedure, but this seems like something Senate Dems should at least try.

Democrats used that in the House and are planning to use that in the Senate (the "vote-a-rama"). Democrats got Republicans on the record supporting dick pills for rapists as part of it (seriously).

They're not doing it right now because you can't, until there's a bill to amend.

I am not clear however if that process can be used to effectively filibuster like that tweetstorm suggests, but if it can, it should be. But you wouldn't necessarily announce that was your plan right now before there's a bill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

B B posted:

So, even though Republicans are using reconciliation, there is apparently a way for Democrats to effectively filibuster AHCA through the reconciliation amendment process:

Jfc make a god drat blog post and stop posting 20 loving connected tweets.

B B
Dec 1, 2005

evilweasel posted:

Democrats used that in the House and are planning to use that in the Senate (the "vote-a-rama"). Democrats got Republicans on the record supporting dick pills for rapists as part of it (seriously).

They're not doing it right now because you can't, until there's a bill to amend.

I am not clear however if that process can be used to effectively filibuster like that tweetstorm suggests, but if it can, it should be. But you wouldn't necessarily announce that was your plan right now before there's a bill.

That's fair, and like I said I know almost nothing about Senate procedure. I'm mostly posting it because Senate Dems may need some prodding from constituents to actually do it, so make calls if you can.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

aware of dog posted:

This seems like a "One weird trick to defeat lovely legislation! Republicans hate it!" What's to stop McConnell from just changing the rules for reconciliation?

Nothing.

the filibuster itself is literally "one weird trick!" and tying the Senate up in knots with the rules is a longstanding part of the Senate

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

CyberPingu posted:

Jfc make a god drat blog post and stop posting 20 loving connected tweets.

Yeah if you do that people won't read it, welcome to the future of "long form" content.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Just saw an AARP ad against the healthcare bill, it was pretty good. Basically a doctor telling 2 nice old people why their doctor bills would become *terrifying*.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

B B posted:

So, even though Republicans are using reconciliation, there is apparently a way for Democrats to effectively filibuster AHCA through the reconciliation amendment process:

I don't really know much about Senate procedure, but this seems like something Senate Dems should at least try.

The Senate Dems should ONE HUNDRED PERCENT do this. But McConnell will just change the rules with 50 votes.

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

Honestly it wouldn't even look bad if McConnel destroyed such a rule-lawyering tactic.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Even if McConnell destroyed the tactic, it would at least make news. People would find it funny that Democrats proposed a hundred thousand amendments to the bill.

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005
I just called Bob Casey's office and gave my support for Filibuster by Amendment.

No idea if it's legit or not, but it sounds cool.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

sean10mm posted:

Just saw an AARP ad against the healthcare bill, it was pretty good. Basically a doctor telling 2 nice old people why their doctor bills would become *terrifying*.

Yeah, I saw that yesterday. It was basically like, "in terms of insurance the only medical aid I can give you is to tell you to gird yourself for the icy hands of the grave."

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal

B B posted:

This would require Senate democrats to have a spine. I'd love to see it, but it won't happen.

B B
Dec 1, 2005

Dirk Pitt posted:

This would require Senate democrats to have a spine. I'd love to see it, but it won't happen.

Unless I am misreading, it seems like something that can be done by individual Senators. I don't know how long it takes to produce an amendment, but maybe it's something that can be done by a handful of rogue Democrats? Just spit-ballin' here.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

B B posted:

Unless I am misreading, it seems like something that can be done by individual Senators. I don't know how long it takes to produce an amendment, but maybe it's something that can be done by a handful of rogue Democrats?

poo poo, I bet we could whip up a neural net to generate a couple 100K amendments

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

The Glumslinger posted:

poo poo, I bet we could whip up a neural net to generate a couple 100K amendments

Goon Project?!?!?!

I'll get started on some concept art

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

FizFashizzle posted:

Goon Project?!?!?!

I'll get started on some concept art

I'll make the logo

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
Imagine four amendments on the edge of a cliff...

That's AHCA.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

what senators really need is an explanation of how you problematically create a hundred thousand unique amendments. or just go ahead and do it, make a web app that creates an arbitrary number of amendments that pass reconciliation (must have an effect on the budget), preferably ones that would be vaugely bad to vote against

my suggestion: one that increases the tax rate on the rich in increments of 0.0000001% and directs that money to pre-existing conditions

"first, i propose an amendment to raise the top income tax bracket to 39.6000000001, and the capital gains tax rate to 20.0000000001, and all money raised by this goes to the grossly underfunded high-risk pools. i put this to a vote. no? ok, how about we raise the top income tax bracket to 39.6000000002%, and the capital gains tax rate to 20.0000000002%? i put this to a vote. no? ok, ..."

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

"republicans refused to raise taxes on the rich by a single dollar to pay for your health care. one single dollar!"

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005
*Introduces amendement to formally recognize the number 75 as the official number of the United States of America*

"I would like to urge the members to vote yes on this amendment......." <20 minute speech>

Senate votes no

Fast forward 272 days:

*Introduces amendment to formally recognize the number 273974 as the official number of the United States of America*

"I am urging my colleagues to support this amendment..."

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

evilweasel posted:

what senators really need is an explanation of how you problematically create a hundred thousand unique amendments. or just go ahead and do it, make a web app that creates an arbitrary number of amendments that pass reconciliation (must have an effect on the budget), preferably ones that would be vaugely bad to vote against

my suggestion: one that increases the tax rate on the rich in increments of 0.0000001% and directs that money to pre-existing conditions

"first, i propose an amendment to raise the top income tax bracket to 39.6000000001, and the capital gains tax rate to 20.0000000001, and all money raised by this goes to the grossly underfunded high-risk pools. i put this to a vote. no? ok, how about we raise the top income tax bracket to 39.6000000002%, and the capital gains tax rate to 20.0000000002%? i put this to a vote. no? ok, ..."

Presiding officer can rule amendments out of order and just move on, with 50 votes even if there's no rule saying so.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Quorum posted:

Presiding officer can rule amendments out of order and just move on, with 50 votes even if there's no rule saying so.

does he have to rule that each specific amendment is out of order?

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005

evilweasel posted:

"republicans refused to raise taxes on the rich by a single dollar to pay for your health care. one single dollar!"

And they did it 12823775 times in a year!

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

You know Mitch McConnell has some pre Civil War procedural trick up his sleeve to Bill Belichick his way out of that situation.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

I mean I entirely believe that there's a mechanism to shut out filibuster by amendment, or it would have been done before. I think it's worth doing even if it gets immediately shut down because it'd be so absurd it would help get coverage.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

I would pay 20 bucks for my drafted amendment to be proposed, let's have the DNC use it as a fundraising tool at the same time.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

FizFashizzle posted:

You know Mitch McConnell has some pre Civil War procedural trick up his sleeve to Bill Belichick his way out of that situation.

... and?

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Eltoasto posted:

I would pay 20 bucks for my drafted amendment to be proposed, let's have the DNC use it as a fundraising tool at the same time.
This is a fun idea!

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal

Eltoasto posted:

This.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

evilweasel posted:

does he have to rule that each specific amendment is out of order?

Does reconciliation require the presiding officer to recognize members to offer amendments? That's a common trick to stop stuff like this, just refuse to recognize any Democrats offering an amendment. Then hearing no amendendments being offered and seconded (as you ignore them doing so) you move the previous question.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

interesting: https://www.washington.edu/federalrelations/2017/01/09/vote-a-rama/

apparently this has been done in the past, people just eventually let it go forward:

quote:

What makes a budget resolution different is the clock. Once cloture is invoked on a customary bill, all motions, amendments, and passage must conclude by the end of debate time, which is 30 hours. Already, a budget bill receives 20 additional hours of debate. Furthering the curiousness of the Senate budget process, however, is that any amendment that is offered must be disposed of before adoption of the resolution.

That means, regardless of the fact that the allotted debate time may expire Wednesday, any Senator may call up additional amendments and get a roll call vote even after debate time has expired. This is when things get fun. Senators may (and do) continue to seek votes on amendments after time has expired making the session can drag on and on. (No joke, there are cots for Senators to sleep on for the all nigher.) While Senators do not receive any additional debate time, past precedent has allowed a minute or two for Senators to explain their amendments before the vote. This barrage of a series of votes is what is known as “vote-a-rama”.

Once a vote-a-rama stretches late into the next day, the minority party will often relent and allow a final vote once they have had enough opportunities to get Senators on record usually defeating amendments containing popular priorities, used primarily for messaging purposes.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/existentialfish/status/875373398997823490
https://twitter.com/memeorandum/status/875355032559996929
https://twitter.com/ericgeller/status/875387974900477953
https://twitter.com/ericgeller/status/875357780567261184
https://twitter.com/aravosis/status/875393796929933312
https://twitter.com/LoopEmma/status/875382861519609856
https://twitter.com/LoopEmma/status/875392643953565698

Re: the WannaCry hack:
https://twitter.com/ericgeller/status/875356000617992192

Sasse isn't the good Republican you think he is:
https://twitter.com/willmenaker/status/875111394227736579

The Congressional baseball game:
https://twitter.com/nielslesniewski/status/875380010626027520

And from the UK:
https://twitter.com/lpolgreen/status/875394254016835585

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005
Regardless of what happens here and now, when the Democrats take back the Senate I want to see them steamroll over every single obstructionist tactic that exists. I recognize that some of this slow Senate tradition is useful right now, but the amount of obstruction during Obama's presidency was simply absurd. This country is too partisan for the Congress to be dependent upon achieving some kind of mega-majority to pass anything.

The only reason McConnel keeps any "Senate tradition" around is to project his own members from taking unpopular votes. Democrats need to force them to drop the pretense.

vvv fake news vvv

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Why would the democrats do this when they already said they aren't opposing the AHCA in exchange for continued sanctions on russia?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Stairmaster posted:

Why would the democrats do this when they already said they aren't opposing the AHCA in exchange for continued sanctions on russia?

they didn't say anything of the sort and you should stop listening to the idiot who told you they were

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

evilweasel posted:

they didn't say anything of the sort and you should stop listening to the idiot who told you they were

one of the biggest problem democrats face is that people who support them are easily deceived by those who don't.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Stairmaster posted:

Wrong.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

evilweasel posted:

interesting: https://www.washington.edu/federalrelations/2017/01/09/vote-a-rama/

apparently this has been done in the past, people just eventually let it go forward:

I can't believe vote-a-rama is actually the real term.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit
I wanted to reply at length to Skex but the only practical way to do so was to break hist post up and respond to each section. I hope Skex and the thread won't mind.

Skex posted:

Personally I think that your theories on Narrativists and compaction cycles make a lot of intuitive sense. And does seem to track fairly consistently with historical data.

Where I think you go off the rails in prediction is that you forget that your own theory shows why extremist eventually dissipate into a none issue. Because the compaction cycles themselves shrink the contingent with each compaction while the group becomes hardened and more extreme they also become by necessity smaller as they slough off the less extreme members with each cycle.

I agree with this completely true in the abstract, and I have been stating for some time now that the total number of Narrativists is decreasing. However the concern here is that there are more Narrativists now than at any previous time in American history where there was a flare up of Narrativism (these events were actually a regular part of American politics until relatively modern history. E.g. the Know-Nothing Party, the Ant-Masonic Panic, McCarthyism, etc.) as well as said Narrativists having taken control of three branches of the Federal Government and one of our two major political parties. Every past instance of Narrativism dying out involved the people with their hands on the levers of power being rational actors who were genuinely making decisions in the best interest of the country. At present that is not true and that is one of the major reasons to be concerned at present.

Skex posted:

]
So while each successive iteration becomes more extreme they become smaller. Eventually one of two things happen they become so small as to become irrelevant or if one actually engages in political violence the rest will disavow them as a matter of self preservation, or the greater body politic will take action against them.

This is not even remotely the only possible outcome for when Narrativists rise up in society. Narrativism, does not automatically have an end point that comes before the end of the society they have taken control of.

Consider the OKC bombing. after that McVeigh the militia movement and nativists found themselves under intense scrutiny as the majority of the public say them as a threat to everyone and took action. [/quote]

They found themselves under immense scrutiny from a Federal Government that was both willing and fully capable of making them experience dire consequences for criminal activity. At present this situation will not repeat itself because the Federal government is not interested and completely unwilling to punish the militia movement. In point of fact the Trump government is starting to work hand in hand with militias by coordinating with them on patrols of the border with Mexico to publicly stating (in the wake of the Portland attack) that GOP officials needed to start hiring right wing militias for protection from Antif/leftists.

Newsweek: Portland Republican Supports Hiring Right-Wing Militias for GOP Security.

Skex posted:

The structure of the United States for all it's faults does provide a strong protection against the rise of fascistic authoritarian rulers. Look at the current situation, the right despite having managed to take control of the entirety of the government has largely been thwarted in enacting their agenda. There was a certain amount of wisdom in the thinking of the framers in wanting to create a system that is intentionally cumbersome with fighting factions. checks and balances are built in intentionally to prevent the sort of tyranny that the Republicans would love to enact.

The right have been prevented from implementing large portions of their agenda primarily by their own incompetence and less so the system itself. True the travel ban got shot down in the courts, the the damage that is being done every single day to our government represents the true bulk of their intended agenda. Eventually there won't be enough of a Federal government left to oppose them and that is their full intention. Until Trump and his enablers are removed from power anything else is just buying time until they can be removed from power.

[url=https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/right-turn/wp/2017/06/05/trump-is-courting-disaster-by-not-fully-staffing-the-government/?utm_term=.774148c029c0]Washington Post: Trump is courting disaster by not fully staffing the government. [/quote]

Skex posted:

Nativist movements have always existed in this country and in the end they get stomped out. The KKK was at one time a very active and powerful force of nativists but they were completely wiped out in their initial iteration and the new iterations were but a shadow of the former.

Nativist movements have never had a person with a Cluster B personality disorder in the highest form of social authority in our culture telling them ti ignore everything else except for their rage towards the Enemy. The present situation is very, very different from what has occurred in the past because of this.

Skex posted:

In the end the nativists fizzle and fail because human beings are social creatures and social creatures have a vested interest in eliminating threats to the society as a whole. By and large human beings want to be able to take care of themselves and their families in relative peace and security and any group that threatens that will eventually be dealt with in the harshest of terms.

While it is technically true that in a long enough time line all nativist/Narrativist movements ultimately fail, the question is whether or not the United States will survive the process in any recognizable form. It isn't like Germany or China got out of their brushes with Narrativism without severe consequences. While both countries still exist, they lost a tremendous deal as a result of Narrativism seizing control of their state apparatus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/875388501805723649
https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/875394170415927297
https://twitter.com/DSenFloor/status/875396306981847042
(Both were clerks for Clarence Thomas; Mandelker looks to have worked in the same office as Preet; Tarbert worked in the Obama administration as Associate Counsel to POTUS and Special Counsel to the Senate Committee on Banking, Housing, and Urban Affairs.)

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jun 15, 2017

• Locked thread