Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

tadashi posted:

I need a Beefy Lad shirsey. Don't let me down, Schwarber.

I'm sure the Yankees won't participate but it would be funny if both Didi and Castro wore Jeter jerseys since both of them once had GMs (Towers and Hendry) compare them to The Captain.

I hope Didi goes with "Sir Didi" or something. The fact that he's an actual knight is the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Inspector_666 posted:

I hope Didi goes with "Sir Didi" or something. The fact that he's an actual knight is the best.

Judge can be The Mountain that Rakes.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

bawfuls posted:

Andrew Miller before the Dodgers: 31.1 IP, 0 HR, 1 ER, 0.29 ERA, 0.88 FIP
Andrew Miller after the Dodgers: 33.2 IP, 2 HR, 6 ER, 1.60 ERA, 1.87 FIP

What a loving idiot scrub.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Also I still don't understand how Bellinger is hitting this many HRs given his batting stance and swing.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Bellinger's swing is long and he's always been a TTO kind of guy with big power. I don't think he will maintain a 30%+ HR/FB rate but otherwise this is who he is.

His super upright stance is real weird looking though.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

bawfuls posted:

Bellinger's swing is long and he's always been a TTO kind of guy with big power. I don't think he will maintain a 30%+ HR/FB rate but otherwise this is who he is.

His super upright stance is real weird looking though.

Yeah, the swing is violent as hell, but his stance is so upright and it looks like he has no stride whatsoever. I just don't understand how he hits the ball so hard with seemingly no momentum.

EDIT: And he's gone and done it again.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jun 15, 2017

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Inspector_666 posted:

Yeah, the swing is violent as hell, but his stance is so upright and it looks like he has no stride whatsoever. I just don't understand how he hits the ball so hard with seemingly no momentum.
As if to demonstrate, he hit a line drive home run while I was reading this post.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

all-Rush mixtape posted:

N: The Astros drafted Trei Cruz in the 35th round.

V: You may have heard of his grandfather and father, Jose and Jose, Jr.

Man, I remember Jose Cruz Jr.'s rookie debut. Can't believe he has a kid old enough to be drafted.

When your favorite team trades away your star player for a couple of no name rookies in one of the most universally panned trades of all time and the other local team goes on a near perfect playoff run to win the championship, I think you'd be a little bitter too.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Inspector_666 posted:

I assume it's the explosive hip rotation?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Sydin posted:

I assume it's the explosive hip rotation?

It's aaaaaaaaaaaaall in the hips.

No but really look at guys like Rizzo and Granderson they have almost no stride and can generate a ton of power (Rizzo especially). I'll still never understand how guys can hit from a straight up standing position though, it makes your swing look really violent cause it requires a bunch of movement to get into position.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Whatever it is, seems to be working out for him

https://twitter.com/jonweisman/status/875405046791327746

https://twitter.com/BillShaikin/status/875404635518914560

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

lol

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I figured El Gary's record from 2016 would last more than half a season...

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

seiferguy posted:

When your favorite team trades away your star player for a couple of no name rookies in one of the most universally panned trades of all time and the other local team goes on a near perfect playoff run to win the championship, I think you'd be a little bitter too.

I assume this is Matt Duffy, who really still hasn't recovered from the Giants grinding him into a fine paste in 2015. The problems of the Giants are beyond the scope of what Matt Duffy could fix, unless he could make them take walks, or stop putting the ball on the ground, or DFA the outfield.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Kings fan in Warriors territory answers your original question though

Also my other teams are the Giants and Niners lmao sports are terrible

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Inspector_666 posted:

This is awesome. I had no idea. I must have missed that when it came up here as I'm certain it didn't pass by SAS.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

New Concept Hole posted:

I assume this is Matt Duffy, who really still hasn't recovered from the Giants grinding him into a fine paste in 2015. The problems of the Giants are beyond the scope of what Matt Duffy could fix, unless he could make them take walks, or stop putting the ball on the ground, or DFA the outfield.
Considering the context of "other local team goes on a near perfect playoff run to win the championship" I'm pretty sure seiferguy was talking about basketball.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
But this is the MLB thread. :saddowns:

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

When Schwarber did this people got mad

there is no actual comparison there

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Poque posted:

there is no actual comparison there
True, Bellinger can play defense

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

bawfuls posted:

True, Bellinger can play defense

He's also batting comfortably above the Mendoza line despite being mostly a TTO player.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

New Concept Hole posted:

But this is the MLB thread. :saddowns:

Der Meister was referencing basketball, so ya know...

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
Non-baseball fandom being commented on in the baseball thread got me confused about what was being said. :v:

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe
https://theringer.com/2017-mlb-home-run-spike-juiced-ball-testing-reveal-155cd21108bc

There are were a number of tiny but significant changes made to the MLB official Costa Rica-made baseball mid-2015 which collectively may explain the sudden spike in dingers and dongers.

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice
Lol Tyler Thornburg going down for thoracic outlet surgery

Reminder that the Red Sox traded a 3B who is OPSing about .880 for this, utter jack poo poo. Let this be just one more warning for every fan of every team: never trade for relievers not named Kimbrel or Miller.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Whatever else you might say about the Cardinals, you have to admit they know their crowd.
https://twitter.com/cardinals/status/875393730982821888

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

elentar posted:

Whatever else you might say about the Cardinals, you have to admit they know their crowd.
https://twitter.com/cardinals/status/875393730982821888

they sure do

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Poque posted:

they sure do

Milwaukee has one of those too :ughh:

On a Saturday though, which is weird.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

If I lived in St. Louis, I'd be attending the Christian Day game in my shortest jorts and rainbowest shirt, and would be calling every LGBT person I knew to join me.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I'm too afraid to ask what happens during Christian Day and what role Lance Berkman plays in it.

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002

iospace posted:

Milwaukee has one of those too :ughh:

On a Saturday though, which is weird.

Well people have to go to mass on Sunday and beisbol might interfere with that.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Poque posted:

they sure do

fat elvis no :smithmouth:

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Aw man, now I'm suddenly reminded that Launch Ballman is a piece of poo poo and came out against the Equal Rights Ordinance

Lunch Bigman posted:

To me tolerance is the virtue that’s killing this country. We’re tolerant of everything. You know, everything is okay, and as long as you want to do it and as long as it feels good to you then it’s perfectly acceptable do it. Those are the kinds of things that lead you down a slippery slope, and you’ll get in trouble in a hurry.

Dammit

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
N:
https://twitter.com/BNightengale/status/875440743317458945

V: There's only one loving baseball team in New York City and they play in the loving Bronx.

Tom Gorman posted:

Aw man, now I'm suddenly reminded that Launch Ballman is a piece of poo poo and came out against the Equal Rights Ordinance

Dammit

Berkman elaborated on that quote to Craig Calcaterra and it's not quite as bad as it seems at first blush. Calcaterra's summary of Berkman is that he's not trying to be mean or vindictive, but that he's entirely naive about the effects of the stance he's taken/the groups he associates with.

I mean, "Christian Day" is dumb as gently caress and gently caress The Cards regardless.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

NiceGuy posted:

Lol Tyler Thornburg going down for thoracic outlet surgery

Reminder that the Red Sox traded a 3B who is OPSing about .880 for this, utter jack poo poo. Let this be just one more warning for every fan of every team: never trade for relievers not named Kimbrel or Miller.

On the other hand Travis Shaw July 15-Oct 1 2016: 194/259/360. If he's managed to put it all together good for him, but I'm never going to be all that stressed about trading away Shaw (it helps that Rafael Devers exists). The rest of the prospects are a different story since that was a bunch of chips for a middle reliever.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Poque posted:

they sure do

Load Bearingcross

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Popete posted:

I'm too afraid to ask what happens during Christian Day and what role Lance Berkman plays in it.

He's going to make a speech about how nice Christians are and his experiences being Christian in a public setting.

Also, STL is doing a pride night this year, the team announced. Of course, there is controversy and horrible things being said about this.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Also, STL is doing a pride night this year, the team announced. Of course, there is controversy and horrible things being said about this.

The best reaction to Pride Night is the very angry "WHEN IS CHRISTIAN DAY?!"

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

So Schwarber was the first man to hit one over Shea Bridge last night?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

The Nats drafted Dusty Baker's kid.

The one who almost got run over at home plate in the 2002 World Series.

:corsair:

They also drafted Jake Boone, Bret's son.

Does that make the Boones the first four-generation family in baseball?

• Locked thread