Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

CLAM DOWN posted:

Some minister already rejected the Netflix tax. Is that the fastest a government has shot down a proposal from their own MPs before?

Didn't some Conservative backbencher almost make it to the end of the word "Abortion" once?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

James Baud fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Aug 26, 2018

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

Some minister already rejected the Netflix tax. Is that the fastest a government has shot down a proposal from their own MPs before?

Haha I was just about to post this. Wow that was quick!

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Femtosecond posted:

We should have listened to Harper guys.

Someone high up at the CBC must be really angry that the Grim-Dark CBC-Netflix Anne of Green Gables remake is reviewing poorly. :v:

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
I'm pretty sure the Liberals(and most other governments) float ideas and shoot them down right away to gauge how bad the actual public reaction is and use that to decide if they want to bring that up in the future or choose a better time to bring that idea up.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

James Baud fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Aug 26, 2018

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

EvilJoven posted:

So what exactly are we at war with?

good dress sense and grooming standards

how many of you signed up?

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

BGrifter posted:

Naw the guy on the left is a fan of Macho Man's rap career.

holy loving poo poo

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

DariusLikewise posted:

I'm pretty sure the Liberals(and most other governments) float ideas and shoot them down right away to gauge how bad the actual public reaction is and use that to decide if they want to bring that up in the future or choose a better time to bring that idea up.

This is actually a pretty reasonable thing to do.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

DariusLikewise posted:

Yeah this is not only fine by me, it's not remotely just a Liberal party thing.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

James Baud posted:

On another topic, anyone think Christy Clark is going to pull a rabbit out of a hat here? Horgan and Weaver certainly seem a little mad that she's not jumping out of their way. June 22 now merely one week away....

They're pissed because now she's refusing to put forth a speaker

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

Muslims Gays and Liberals obviously

no no they want to protect liberals and gays from muslims, even though they hate liberals and gays almost equally as much as they hate muslims

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

They want to protect people from the extortions of the gay mafia; they'll offer you a rainbow flag you can't refuse.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

James Baud posted:

Subsequent to the movie Fight Club but probably well before it, I think every town collected groups like this, run by an ex soldier or two drilling a dozen or two people to prepare for whatever militia-requiring apocalypse. I heard of them by word of mouth from involved people in three 25-100k population centers I lived in over the years. Police aware of them but pretty hands off.

They're probably rather lower on the priority list what with being merely a possible menace than the gangs that are harming people on a daily basis and largely getting away with it.

A radicalized hate group is stockpiling weapons and surveilling a targeted minority, local PD applies paper bag test, determines no further action is warranted. Promptly stops to frisk a dark skinned teen walking home alone.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

infernal machines posted:

A radicalized hate group is stockpiling weapons and surveilling a targeted minority, local PD applies paper bag test, determines no further action is warranted. Promptly stops to frisk a dark skinned teen walking home alone.

...before driving him a hundred miles out into the bush so he can walk back to his land or whatever with no shoes on

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
*dresses up and tries to look as menacing as possible with a bunch of like minded dudes*

"We're the good guys!" :downs:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Described Canada's treatment of native peoples to an American who was lauding us as being virtually racism-free.

"Oh. OH. Ugh."

Just helping us shine on the world stage.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

Subjunctive posted:

Described Canada's treatment of native peoples to an American who was lauding us as being virtually racism-free.

"Oh. OH. Ugh."

Just helping us shine on the world stage.

Good work. If the rest of the world knows we're actually odious maybe we'll do something about it.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Skippy Granola posted:

Good work. If the rest of the world knows we're actually odious maybe we'll do something about it.

lol

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Jagmeet Singh can't propose anything without using the word "inclusive". Charlie Angus wants to "move forward" from pipelines (read: it's in the national interest and creates jahbs so stop asking him about it)

These loving generic wonks would be safely contained in Ontario if that failure Horwath had just resigned after the disaster she wrought in 2014. But noooooooo :jerkbag:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Skippy Granola posted:

The UN Human Rights Committee may have reason to believe otherwise

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

THC posted:

Jagmeet Singh can't propose anything without using the word "inclusive". Charlie Angus wants to "move forward" from pipelines (read: it's in the national interest and creates jahbs so stop asking him about it)

These loving generic wonks would be safely contained in Ontario if that failure Horwath had just resigned after the disaster she wrought in 2014. But noooooooo :jerkbag:

Hmmm yeah, wouldn't want them to accidentally pick up any support from left-leaning moderates who are dissatisfied with Trudeau... full communism now!

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

THC posted:

Yeah, a friend from Ontario was basically groaning about the prospect of Jagmeet Singh being anywhere near the NDP leadership. Definitely sounds like he'd be a continuation of triangulating the NDP to the right.

Still going to be a coin toss for me because I'm mad Hassan Yussuf isn't running.

Also Full Communism Now is disingenuous lib bullshit, nobody's talking of seizing the means of production and making them into worker coop on inauguration day.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Agnosticnixie posted:

nobody's talking of seizing the means of production and making them into worker coop on inauguration day.

See, that's the problem

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

THC posted:

Ashton is going to have to say something really, really stupid to stop me from voting for her instead of these spineless assholes

e: that is exactly what will happen and CI will emptyquote this indefinitely when it does

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

"Moderates" are such electoral geniuses that they triangulated the NDP into third party status. Their UK equivalents just spent years insisting Jeremy Corbyn is "unelectable" and to prove it they spread totally baseless rumours that he hates Jews. I don't mind if they stay in the Liberal party until they figure out why they're wrong.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

lol if you don't have ci on ignore

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

what loving means of production lol

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

MA-Horus posted:

MA-Horus.png

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

CI is a shining beacon of... something... in the darkness of Canpol.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

MA-Horus posted:

I do but I keep reading his posts. He's this addictive distillation of the worst parts of our national identity and I can't get enough

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
lol at thc's fuckin boner for ashton

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
lol if you think CI is the dark ID of canadian society instead of a man broken by it reacting to it

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

JawKnee posted:

what loving means of production lol

I generously assume the loggers' union one of my relatives helped found still sort of represents loggers and not like, actuaries.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Agnosticnixie posted:

I generously assume the loggers' union one of my relatives helped found still sort of represents loggers and not like, actuaries.

Like the Steelworkers representing U of T TAs, yeah.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

namaste faggots posted:

lol at thc's fuckin boner for ashton

I really don't like her that much but if this is how Angus and Singh are choosing to play it I'd rather have her as leader tbh

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Oh also I forgot the other thing I wanted to bitch about is the federal NDP backed the Liberals' ill-fated Netflix tax proposal. They want to subsidize the Margaret Wentes and Barbara Kays rather than letting them die a natural death. Garbage.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
all this moaning about a tax on streaming is so loving lol

maybe buy donuts 1 day less per week you fat fucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

On the other hand, maybe Paul Godfrey should be responsible for 100% of the maintenance cost of his right-wing propaganda empire