Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

DariusLikewise posted:

Could it be a non-Jace planeswalker that makes Jace tokens for some reason or other or specifically hates on Jace because he's an rear end in a top hat

From that first pic its ultimate almost definitely makes copies of itself, "except it's not ____" . Maybe it's "not a legendary" and they're changing the Planeswalker rule just to allow this card to work? Seems like a clunky way to do it though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Tales of Woe posted:

it's the rare sheet, you'd be looking for a howling mine effect i would think. and no, there isn't.

Well this set sucks and is a total failure.

NEXT?!

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Jace's ultimate says something like "--- two tokens that are copies of Jace, --- Castaway, except they're not ---ary." That last word ending in "ary" seems like it's by itself on the last line. I think they're changing the legend rule to include planeswalkers and getting rid of the planeswalker uniqueness rule. Probably still by planeswalker subtype, even though it's a little awkward in the rules to make that exception, there are a lot of special rules privileges that planeswalkers get already. It might mean you could have the copies of Jace, Something Castaway and a regular ol' Jace Beleren out if you wanted.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

mossyfisk posted:

Am I reading it wrong, or does that card create arbitrarily infinite ETB triggers?

Hostage Taker enters, targets itself, exiles itself, returns itself, targets itself, etc

gently caress me, it's not even a may. Playing that on an empty board draws the game.

I must be misunderstanding how this templating works, surely? Not even Wizards could be that incompetent.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Holy moly, Wizards can't catch a break.

(Probably a disgruntled Duels enthusiast serving karmic justice)

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

clamiam45 posted:

The only important thing is that everybody goes on record about whether this is real or fake. Then the winning side has to gloat when it's proved by spoiler season.

It could be a test print to see if they look right in foil. But on balance there's no way someone made a full sheet of rares for a Pirate Dinosaur set 24 hours after Ixalan was announced as a Pirate Dinosaur set.

BJPaskoff posted:

Jace's ultimate says something like "--- two tokens that are copies of Jace, --- Castaway, except they're not ---ary." That last word ending in "ary" seems like it's by itself on the last line. I think they're changing the legend rule to include planeswalkers and getting rid of the planeswalker uniqueness rule. Probably still by planeswalker subtype, even though it's a little awkward in the rules to make that exception, there are a lot of special rules privileges that planeswalkers get already. It might mean you could have the copies of Jace, Something Castaway and a regular ol' Jace Beleren out if you wanted.

I mean, the Planeswalker Uniqueness rule is just the Legendary rule with a rider that only exists for story-based reasons, despite the fact you can cast Samut, the Tested, and follow up with Samut the creature.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jun 15, 2017

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Angry Grimace posted:

But on balance there's no way
Balance reprint confirmed.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

mossyfisk posted:

gently caress me, it's not even a may. Playing that on an empty board draws the game.

I must be misunderstanding how this templating works, surely? Not even Wizards could be that incompetent.

It's covered by this:

quote:

611.2b Some continuous effects generated by the resolution of a spell or ability have durations worded “for as long as . . . .” If the “for as long as” duration never starts, or it ends before the moment the effect would first be applied, the effect does nothing. It doesn’t start and immediately stop again, and it doesn’t last forever.

It can target itself, but when the ability resolves, it won't change zones because the effect would end before it fully starts.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
I know that's why Cast Out etc can't keep stuff exiled forever. But that's because the duration never begins.

"If the “for as long as” duration never starts, or it ends before the moment the effect would first be applied" - this isn't the case, Hostage Taker is still on the battlefield when the first effect is applied.

The game can't tell that Hostage Taker will be gone until it's already halfway through resolving the ability in this case.

Edit: Although I imagine a rule change would solve the issue.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

BJPaskoff posted:

It's covered by this:

It can target itself, but when the ability resolves, it won't change zones because the effect would end before it fully starts.

That's used to cover the situation where you destroy a Cast Out before your opponent exiles something. The exile trigger here would still resolve and exile the pirate, which would then return to the battlefield and exile itself again. The only way it wouldn't is if there's a rule or rule-change that would prevent Random Taker's return to battlefield ability from triggering.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
There's so much text in that box, I feel like it maybe used to say "may exile another target artifact or creature an opponent controls" and they just had to keep trimming bits off it.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
MaRo is not going to be happy about these leaks and I feel bad for him :(

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Notably, MaRo said this back in September

quote:

Meanwhile, I was busy designing Ham, the fall (northern hemisphere) set of 2017. At the halfway point of Kaladesh design, I handed the reins of the set over to Shawn Main so I could start working on the design for Amonkhet, the large set of the next block. And then halfway through Amonkhet design, I handed the reins over to Ethan Fleischer so I could work on Ham. In Ham, we were working on a new mechanic that I was worried felt too much like Vehicles because it required having a certain number of creatures to activate it. To try and distance my mechanic from Vehicles, I changed it so instead of caring about how many creatures you had, it cared about the total power of the creatures you had. We tested with it and I really liked how it played.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Man I cannot believe that that burn player had outs in that match.

I mean he still lost. But he had a chance.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

remigious posted:

MaRo is not going to be happy about these leaks and I feel bad for him :(

Just wait till Unstable leaks

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Mutagenic Growth is stupid in a format where everybody isn't playing Mirrodin blocks. I just did it to someone and I'm guessing it felt out of nowhere to lose a combat to a tapped out dude.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Attorney at Funk posted:

It's probably the famed Jace PW who finally does illusion magic.

Planeswaker Illusion - Jace

If becomes ~ is target of spell or ability sacrifice ~

Planeswalker abilities

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Angry Grimace posted:

Mutagenic Growth is stupid in a format where everybody isn't playing Mirrodin blocks. I just did it to someone and I'm guessing it felt out of nowhere to lose a combat to a tapped out dude.

That's how I feel about any free spell in an environment where it's unpredictable. Drafting Invigorate in a chaos draft feels dirty.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Angry Grimace posted:

I imagine getting blown out by Act of Aggression from a GW deck would be even more annoying. Phyrexian Mana wasn't handled very well.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I guess this is the deck I am bringing to vegas.

How are other people getting more widescreen versions of the deck viewer? Are they creating them themselves?

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Be weary when you see oppression disguised as progression

The Spirit told me to use discernment and a Smith n Wesson at my discretion

Practice heavy self reflection, avoid self deception
If you lost, get re-direction

BJPaskoff posted:

Gideon.dek will be a real thing if this is true in modern and i'm going to hate it

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Ah, that quality twitch chat experience.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Bugsy posted:

It's truly horrendous.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Sickening posted:

I guess this is the deck I am bringing to vegas.

How are other people getting more widescreen versions of the deck viewer? Are they creating them themselves?

Is it really terrible to put Temur Battle Rage back in? No one is really playing around it anymore and it seems like a good mirror breaker... What about Leyline of the Void in the board?

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jun 15, 2017

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Bugsy posted:

I'm guessing there was a female or African American player on coverage?

Edit- I'm guessing I'm phone posting and making grammatical errors

Dehtraen fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jun 15, 2017

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Dehtraen posted:

I'm guessing there was a female or African American player on coverage?

Edit- I'm guessing I'm phone posting and making grammatical errors

No a decent grixs vs esper stoneblade match, but apparently Emma Handy is the most dangerous and controversial person in magic and must be constantly talked about.

Edit - and now the stream keeps crashing.

Bugsy fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jun 15, 2017

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

MTG Twitch stream is loving up so badly that we can't watch this Dredge player play incredibly badly and lose a game he otherwise couldn't lose.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
It's okay the stream just died instead.

Rides Naked
Jun 4, 2006

Program, Whale, Program
Well I have 4 trophies in a row in the battle of the planes format. My suggestions are 1) Always pick ISD 2) Always beat down.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

mcmagic posted:

Is it really terrible to put Temur Battle Rage back in? No one is really playing around it anymore and it seems like a good mirror breaker... What about Leyline of the Void in the board?

The problem is that its hard to fit. What would you take out for it? Kcommands? Terminates? Temur Battle Rage is kind of the reason I want to go to the jund version but I feel the deck like that deck is worse against graveyard hate than the grixis version.

I am seriously considering bogles. All the decks that bogles is terrible against is pushed out of the format. There is going to be next to no lily of the veil running around. Bogles is bonkers against dredge. We have been playtesting and nothing but all is dust is loving slowing down the deck currently. Counters company beats it though.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jun 15, 2017

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
So I just got home and looked at the spoiler picture, there's a gold card towards the bottom right that is

T????? V???? of ????
Legendary Creature - Merfolk
T???? V????? of ????'s power and toughness are equal to the number of cards in your hand
You have no maximum hand size
When ?????? enters the battlefield, draw a card for each creature you control
*/*

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Sickening posted:

The problem is that its hard to fit. What would you take out for it? Kcommands? Terminates? Temur Battle Rage is kind of the reason I want to go to the jund version but I feel the deck like that deck is worse against graveyard hate than the grixis version.

I am seriously considering bogles. All the decks that bogles is terrible against is pushed out of the format. There is going to be next to no lily of the veil running around. Bogles is bonkers against dredge. We have been playtesting and nothing but all is dust is loving slowing down the deck currently.

Pretty much every white deck has at least two copies of Blessed Alliance in the sideboard, if that matters.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Engineered Explosives is good against the Bowglays too. Of course it's pretty terrible against 1 mana 7 CMC 5/5s so maybe it's not seeing much play lately.

The real hot tech against Bogles? Favor of the Mighty. Get yours before it's $50.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Voyager I posted:

Pretty much every white deck has at least two copies of Blessed Alliance in the sideboard, if that matters.

Can you name one for me? Every deck with white in it at the moment is missing blessed alliance all together that I am seeing.

The only deck on mtg gold fish I can find is d&t. Not many modern meta's where you gameplan against d&t.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Sickening posted:

Can you name one for me? Every deck with white in it at the moment is missing blessed alliance all together that I am seeing.

I play them in Spirits but also I don't play modern and haven't updated my list in like 5 months so ???

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!

Bugsy posted:

No a decent grixs vs esper stoneblade match, but apparently Emma Handy is the most dangerous and controversial person in magic and must be constantly talked about.

Edit - and now the stream keeps crashing.

I just don't get it. I actually had to look up the name, because it doesn't ring a bell. She's.....some random woman. That appears to be the extent to which I could find info on her.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Jenx posted:

I just don't get it. I actually had to look up the name, because it doesn't ring a bell. She's.....some random woman. That appears to be the extent to which I could find info on her.

She is trans and the gimmick is to refer to her as "he".

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Holy poo poo that audio problem on coverage my god.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

GonSmithe posted:

So I just got home and looked at the spoiler picture, there's a gold card towards the bottom right that is

T????? V???? of ????
Legendary Creature - Merfolk
T???? V????? of ????'s power and toughness are equal to the number of cards in your hand
You have no maximum hand size
When ?????? enters the battlefield, draw a card for each creature you control
*/*

There's a white Enchantment that is

(Allure?) of the ???? (3?)W
Enchantment
Players can't cast spells in graveyards or activate abilities of cards in graveyards.

Whenever a creature dies, you gain (4?) life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!

Sickening posted:

She is trans and the gimmick is to refer to her as "he".

Yeah, I found some article she wrote right after I posted. I still don't see what the big deal is with a trans woman playing, but maybe that's just me. I mean, statistically some number of magic players are also gay. Unless that actively relates to their ability at the game, it's just an irrelevant factor.