Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Thermopyle posted:

Thanks for this high level overview, it's helpful!

Yeah, just to be clear I'm not so clueless that I thought CSS could change markup! I know how to change markup in a dozen different ways...it's really making that change look good that I'm thinking about. It's a pretty harsh experience for the user for the markup to just change in like 0 ms.

In the ideal world I'd have the knowledge and skills to implement this idea that I have in my head: When user clicked "add" button on form, the data on the form would animate/move from the form over into a card located in a tray-like area on the side of the page while leaving the form in-place for adding a new item. Kind of like how in several operating systems when you minimize/restore a window it animates into/out-of its icon the dock/taskbar.

Currently I fade the form data out, and fade the card in. I'd really like to make the connection between the form and the card more explicit with the effect I describe above...

Also, when I asked in this thread about alternatives to bootstrap someone recommended SemanticUI. Thanks for that recommendation. This is nice and already has a decent React implementation...and its maintained by the SemanticUI project itself unlike the various React/Bootstrap integrations out there.
Not sure this is how envision it, but I'd hack it by making the input containers, or the whole form at first really, slide onto the card elements, and then swap the values from the from inputs into the card and hide the form away; done quickly it shouldn't be too noticeable (crosses fingers).
This with like, the form and the card side by side, unless you mean the actual form morphs into the card.

Honest Thief fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jun 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
Anybody have any experience with CraftCMS? Out of curiosity I thought I'd give it a look but I'm having trouble understanding why you'd pay $200 to use a CMS when things like WordPress and Drupal are free to use.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

nexus6 posted:

Anybody have any experience with CraftCMS? Out of curiosity I thought I'd give it a look but I'm having trouble understanding why you'd pay $200 to use a CMS when things like WordPress and Drupal are free to use.
CraftCMS is free to use, I stood it up on a droplet a few months ago to take it out for a spin. Even though it's beta I recommend going with 3 since it's such a huge change from 2.x: https://craftcms.com/3

On that note, I started to really like it. Their "matrix fields" let you create custom combinations of inputs (text, fulltext, file uploads, etc...) that get exposed to end users as widgets they can place into their pages. I didn't take things too far but I was able to port a Jekyll site to it fairly painlessly, creating a rudimentary CMS around an otherwise static site to make future content updates possible for non-techies.

That said the control panel does nothing to educate you about what everything does so if you do decide to give it a try I highly recommend deep-diving into its docs. There's an obvious way they want you to use Craft but out of the box it's decidedly unclear how to do so.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Any recommendations for a self-hosted bulk emailer? Something like Dada Mail but ideally free / without any branding links in the emails.

It's for an academic society that wanna send occasional newsletters to their 500 or so members.

I've always suggested Mailchimp in the past but it seems like overkill in this case because all emails will be plain text and they don't care about tracking opens, subscriber list growth etc.

I know self-hosted is risky but I'm hoping it will be ok if it's only a few hundred emails and they go via my MailChannels account.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

fuf posted:

Any recommendations for a self-hosted bulk emailer? Something like Dada Mail but ideally free / without any branding links in the emails.

It's for an academic society that wanna send occasional newsletters to their 500 or so members.

I've always suggested Mailchimp in the past but it seems like overkill in this case because all emails will be plain text and they don't care about tracking opens, subscriber list growth etc.

I know self-hosted is risky but I'm hoping it will be ok if it's only a few hundred emails and they go via my MailChannels account.

Self-hosted will almost definitely be more work than using mailchimp or sendgrid or any of a bunch of other services like that.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Thermopyle posted:

Self-hosted will almost definitely be more work than using mailchimp or sendgrid or any of a bunch of other services like that.

Sure but I don't mind more setup work if it makes it easier for them to send emails in the long run.

Explaining mailchimp templates and campaigns to professors in their 70s would be a bit of a nightmare, and they'll be put off by all the marketing terminology.

I just want them to login and see a nice big "send an email to our members" button, or as close to that as possible.

Definitely open to services like mailchimp that are more geared to small organisation newsletters and less towards marketing though.

GigaFuzz
Aug 10, 2009

fuf posted:

Sure but I don't mind more setup work if it makes it easier for them to send emails in the long run.

Explaining mailchimp templates and campaigns to professors in their 70s would be a bit of a nightmare, and they'll be put off by all the marketing terminology.

I just want them to login and see a nice big "send an email to our members" button, or as close to that as possible.

Definitely open to services like mailchimp that are more geared to small organisation newsletters and less towards marketing though.

Would Mailchimp's Email Beamer feature help? It lets you create and send campaigns by email instead of on the website.
http://kb.mailchimp.com/campaigns/ways-to-build/use-email-beamer-to-create-a-campaign

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

fuf posted:

If you're not worried about templates I've always found Amazon Simple Email Service to be mind-blowingly convenient as compared to their other services.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

fuf posted:

Right, but what I'm getting at is that there's nothing about self-hosted that means its going to be simple. I think your actual question is "what's a simple way to do what mailchimp does" and self-hosted doesn't have anything to do with it...right?

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
Anyone have any idea about Foundation 7?
Our site uses Foundation 5 and there aren't any upgrade docs to Foundation 6. I figured by the time I'd be able to complete an upgrade, learning about breakage along the way, Foundation 7 would be out, so I'm waiting for that. The only reference is an unattributed line in Wikipedia "The team started working on the next version of Foundation for Sites 7 which most likely will drop support for older browsers and implement newer technologies like flexbox or maybe calculated grid system."

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

GigaFuzz posted:

Would Mailchimp's Email Beamer feature help? It lets you create and send campaigns by email instead of on the website.
http://kb.mailchimp.com/campaigns/ways-to-build/use-email-beamer-to-create-a-campaign

That's a cool feature that could help if we end up going with mailchimp.

Scaramouche posted:

If you're not worried about templates I've always found Amazon Simple Email Service to be mind-blowingly convenient as compared to their other services.

Good to know but still need to figure out the front end bit.

Thermopyle posted:

I think your actual question is "what's a simple way to do what mailchimp does" and self-hosted doesn't have anything to do with it...right?

Pretty much :)

I figured self-hosted would let me cut things down to the absolute minimum to make it as easy as possible for the client.

After looking a bit more I think a wordpress plugin like https://www.thenewsletterplugin.com/ might actually be the best way. They just about have a grip on wordpress.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Hey dudes; looking for wisdom. I have a web app that uses React DnD to drag and drop things from one part of the page to anther. I'm trying to make it so you can have a separate window (maybe not literally another browser window since I don't think that would work with drag and drop) that I can have my draggables in. This would allow for better use of screen space, second monitors etc. Is there a way to make a fake separate window in JS, or something, that will work with drag and drop?

Alternatively, is there a way to make it so after the window is bigger than a certain width, all columns (ie bootstrap for now) don't get any bigger except for one on the end?

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Dominoes posted:

Hey dudes; looking for wisdom. I have a web app that uses React DnD to drag and drop things from one part of the page to anther. I'm trying to make it so you can have a separate window (maybe not literally another browser window since I don't think that would work with drag and drop) that I can have my draggables in. This would allow for better use of screen space, second monitors etc. Is there a way to make a fake separate window in JS, or something, that will work with drag and drop?

Alternatively, is there a way to make it so after the window is bigger than a certain width, all columns (ie bootstrap for now) don't get any bigger except for one on the end?

There is probably some way to do between window drag & Drop with message passing, but I haven't had enough coffee yet ot talk smartly about it. As for the last thing you said, yes. Use flexbox and let the last column grow. You might wind up fighting bootstrap though. It always ends withs fighting bootstrap.....

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Lumpy posted:

There is probably some way to do between window drag & Drop with message passing, but I haven't had enough coffee yet ot talk smartly about it. As for the last thing you said, yes. Use flexbox and let the last column grow. You might wind up fighting bootstrap though. It always ends withs fighting bootstrap.....

Bootstrap.... Bootstrap never changes....

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Has anybody had any luck view locally hosted sites with Microsoft Edge? I'm using Vagrant + Virtualbox for a local development environment and not a single browser has an issue in loading local sites except Edge. I've tried a variety of solutions for the localhost loopback setting, CMD line settings and intranet settings but nothing seems to work.

It seems totally bizarre that this issue isn't resolved.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

fuf posted:

Good to know but still need to figure out the front end bit.

Have you seen Sendy? I haven't used it but their entire selling point is that it uses Amazon SES for sending newsletters while being selfhosted.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

nexus6 posted:

Has anybody had any luck view locally hosted sites with Microsoft Edge? I'm using Vagrant + Virtualbox for a local development environment and not a single browser has an issue in loading local sites except Edge. I've tried a variety of solutions for the localhost loopback setting, CMD line settings and intranet settings but nothing seems to work.

Is it an SSL issue? It connects to localhost for me and I don't remember doing anything special to get it to do that.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
A gypsie witch cursed me, my curse is that I never find a web problem I cant solve. But my solutions for the harder problems are stupid, ugly and evil. I respect this thread too much to share them. But if anyone is *really* desperate, I could "help".

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Munkeymon posted:

Is it an SSL issue? It connects to localhost for me and I don't remember doing anything special to get it to do that.

It looks like it might be a virtualbox/vagrant issue. I just tried WAMP on my home PC and it is fine but at work it just won't connect.

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

Does anyone have a suggestion for how to mock up a mobile demo? Like having some outline of a phone or tablet around html content to give the illusion of running inside a phone?

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

FateFree posted:

Does anyone have a suggestion for how to mock up a mobile demo? Like having some outline of a phone or tablet around html content to give the illusion of running inside a phone?

That seems like a pretty reasonable way to do it: https://venmo.com/about/product/

Newf
Feb 14, 2006
I appreciate hacky sack on a much deeper level than you.

nexus6 posted:

This rings alarm bells in my head. I'm about 98% sure that I suffered the same problem as you for a week or more (VMware in my case at the time) before learning the fix (some windows security option had to be massaged, I think). I'm going to think real hard about it for the next 3 minutes. Hmmmmmmm.......

e: wait, 'every other browser' presumable includes IE. My problem was definitely with IE.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Newf posted:

This rings alarm bells in my head. I'm about 98% sure that I suffered the same problem as you for a week or more (VMware in my case at the time) before learning the fix (some windows security option had to be massaged, I think). I'm going to think real hard about it for the next 3 minutes. Hmmmmmmm.......

e: wait, 'every other browser' presumable includes IE. My problem was definitely with IE.

Yep, IE works fine. It's gotta be some network setting with Edge.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

FateFree posted:

Do you just want to show a phone frame around the page? You can do that natively in Chrome. Just hit Ctrl+shift+m, select your device from the drop down at the top and in the 3-dot menu at the top right click 'Show device frame'.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST
Can anyone recommend any good books/articles on how to architect mobile apps well?

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

TheCog posted:

Can anyone recommend any good books/articles on how to architect mobile apps well?

No, but you might try the iOS / Android threads, as they would likely know a bunch more than we do on the subject.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I've always used Apache 2.4 as a reverse proxy for things like Ruby and Java applications (as a place to attach and remove SSL and potentially for load balancing), is there a higher-performance/more stable option nowadays or is Apache still the default choice?

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
When I create a html file like this:
code:
<table>
    <thead>
        <th>a</th>
        <th>b</th>
    </thead>
    <tbody>
        <tr>
            <td>a</td>
            <td>b</td>
        </tr>
    </tbody>
</table>        
The browser converts it to: (note the extra <tr> in the header)
code:
<table>
    <thead>
        <tr><th>a</th>
        <th>b</th>
    </tr></thead>
    <tbody>
        <tr>
            <td>a</td>
            <td>b</td>
        </tr>
    </tbody>
</table>
What is this called? I'd like to read more on it.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax
<th>'s are just <td>'s that live in the header

you still need to enclose them in a <tr>, or the browser will do it for you

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

NewForumSoftware posted:

<th>'s are just <td>'s that live in the header

you still need to enclose them in a <tr>, or the browser will do it for you

I get that. I was asking what is it called when a browser does that.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

huhu posted:

I get that. I was asking what is it called when a browser does that.

http://taligarsiel.com/Projects/howbrowserswork1.htm#Browsers_error_tolerance

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Paul MaudDib posted:

I've always used Apache 2.4 as a reverse proxy for things like Ruby and Java applications (as a place to attach and remove SSL and potentially for load balancing), is there a higher-performance/more stable option nowadays or is Apache still the default choice?

Apache has always been a clunky option, HAProxy, NGINX, and Pound are the common alternatives. Varnish is supposed to do it to but I find it utterly unstable.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

What's the advantage of those over Apache? I know from osmosis that (for example) Nginx is event driven and therefore much more efficient at serving static files than Apache, but I don't have enough context to be able to stump for it against someone who says "raar Apache is best for all things, it's ubiquitous and developed by people who know what they're doing and if you get bad performance from it you just don't know how to configure it"

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Generally you want something stable, and usually Apache is good at that, however Apache is a kitchen sink kind of product and the docs and configuration may be counterproductive in getting what you want done. HAProxy, Pound, and Varnish are primarily reverse proxies and so one would hope more convenient to deploy. NGINX is basically a web server that generally performs better than Apache.

Any of them are going to have a learning curve, I'd recommend a perusal of the docs just to see if any of their features are conducive to worth investigating more.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Apache's docs are like a computer science textbook and I can never figure out how to do anything

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

rt4 posted:

Apache's docs are like a computer science textbook and I can never figure out how to do anything

Me neither.

The EBNF format of a command is simultaneous too much and not enough of what I want. Is generally easier to find some sort of tutorial that talk about the subject you have a problem with.

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!
Has anyone used position: sticky before? We have a ton of sticky navigation features coming up soon and it seemed like such a good feature to prevent excessive eventListeners, but sticky totally does not work as we know "fixed" to work. Which is how caniuse and other articles define it; relative until "fixed". Some caveats I've found so far while working on this project: container of sticky element cannot have a set overflow except "visible"; cannot be inside of a block level element or it stops at the bottom of said element; and cannot be in an element with a defined height (presumably making it block). Essentially, it works based upon content-root not really document-root. Many combos of these will prevent using it in our already coded site without massive rewrites which are not and should not happen. We sort of want a one stop JS function to control all of this (fallbacks included and built already).

Anyway, is there a way to prevent it stopping on, what seems to be, the first block level element it is contained in besides switching those containers to inline? It's a shame, it works this way. It's a legitimately great feature if all your architecture is set up to use it. Like sticking main navs when you know they're just an element of their own? Perfect, works amazingly. Using it on an existing site? Seems blah.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

I'm building a webapp with some calendar features. Is it a bad idea to use Google Calendar as a backend for managing calendar events? That is, users will not interact with the calendar through Google Calendar, rather the backend would store and retrieve events using the Google Calendar API rather than dealing with all the intricacies and corner cases ourselves (e.g. all-day events, events with local timezones, etc.). Being able to easily integrate with the user's personal calendar is another perk but not the main selling point. Really I'm just looking for calendar-as-a-service and am not seeing any other option.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Presumably using CALDAV? You could just host your own service using something like http://radicale.org/ so at least you know it is not going to change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Okay thanks, that seems like a better option.