Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

NickRoweFillea posted:

TAE: With these names, I'll rid the world of infestation - Sans Lingua Franca. The world will be torn asunder and then, it shall be free.

lmfao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

ex post facho posted:

i used to be, back before i realized that maybe ~10% of the franchises in the league has an actual shot to win each year

kinda discouraging if you're not a fan of those teams

on a macro level it's still far better than the NFL or the MLB and fun to laugh at the insane decisions by front offices to try and become competitive again, but the fact that it is by far the least competitive pro sport (and more and more people are seeing that) really dampens my personal enthusiasm for it

Do you like any sports? Every league I can think of has a handful of good teams and the other 90% are middle of the pack or bottom feeders.

Like do you really think the Padres have a shot at the World Series this year?

Basketball is different because aside from an NFL QB, there really isn't a situation where you can get one superstar that dramatically changes a whole team. LeBron goes back to Cleveland and they immediately turn from garbage to Finals competitors.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

NickRoweFillea posted:

TAE: With these names, I'll rid the world of infestation - Sans Lingua Franca. The world will be torn asunder and then, it shall be free.

Nick is the GOAT

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Bigass Moth posted:

Do you like any sports? Every league I can think of has a handful of good teams and the other 90% are middle of the pack or bottom feeders.

Basketball is different because aside from an NFL QB, there really isn't a situation where you can get one superstar that dramatically changes a whole team. LeBron goes back to Cleveland and they immediately turn from garbage to Finals competitors.
yep sports are awesome, I've been a 49ers fan since I was about 5 years old, gone to multiple Avalanche and Nuggets games in the last few years, usually enjoyable to watch

but this isn't true, the MLB, NFL and NHL all have much greater degrees of variance in who makes and wins their championships than the NBA

parity in basketball is a difficult problem, and I'm not really sure how the league addresses it, but it is a problem that needs to be seriously examined

i guess i'd start by reforming the draft lottery system and drastically reworking salary caps

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Bigass Moth posted:

Baseball is a really terrible point to bring up because most people, including "experts" expected teams like the Brewers, Rockies, Dbacks, and Twins to finish well below .500 and if the season ended today they would be in the playoffs. Parity in Baseball is extremely reverent.

But also I don't think that parity is either a problem, nor is it "fixable" in the NBA unless you do things that are massively anti-player like limiting teams to one max contract. Basketball has, and always will be a game about stars and that will never end.

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

Spacebump posted:

This. Caron was the #2 on the team until he got hurt. However, it moved Marion to the starting lineup and Marion played the best d in LeBron out of anyone in the Finals.

honestly i was kind of rooting against Caron coming back by the time the finals rolled around because it would eat into Marion's role and minutes. Marion was playing such good D and the offense was running like such a finely-tuned machine it didn't strictly need Caron's baseline-iso 15. i'm probably being a little unfair.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

basketball has like a hundred scoring opportunities a game, its nature lets you leverage any talent disparity far more than other sports. its not going to change without some insanely draconian rules and that would not even help the sport. gently caress the warriors and all but watching good basketball is better than watching bad basketball and teams pooling talent means theres more good basketball and less 1 good player and 4 scrubs.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Ghost Dog posted:

basketball has like a hundred scoring opportunities a game, its nature lets you leverage any talent disparity far more than other sports. its not going to change without some insanely draconian rules and that would not even help the sport. gently caress the warriors and all but watching good basketball is better than watching bad basketball and teams pooling talent means theres more good basketball and less 1 good player and 4 scrubs.

so the answer then is contraction and shorter playoff series

"buh buh buh why do want less basketball!!!"

mostly because with talent concentrated amongst a smaller number of teams it's more likely that those teams are closer to eachother in relative talent level; also shorter playoff series means that you introduce a higher degree of variance into what team wins that series

basically i think the quarters and semis should be single elimination, conference finals are best of three, finals are best of seven

ex post facho fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jun 15, 2017

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

ex post facho posted:

so the answer then is contraction and shorter playoff series

the answer to How Do I Make Less Good Basketball :thunk: i guess

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

EvanTH posted:

Magic Johnson had a bunch more years of MVP-level play in him but now folks don't even remember how hosed up the HIV stigma was. Teams were saying they'd refuse to play against him and people were nodding like "yeah understandable". This kinda thing was happening everywhere:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRfIb5TpMmg
ADA wasn't even passed until 1990 so there was barely any legal recourse for a lot of that poo poo

To be fair, people were genuinely terrified. HIV transmission was not yet understood by the public, and it was viewed as a virtual death sentence. This wasn't simple prejudice - this was actual fear. Fear borne of ignorance, but sincere fear nonetheless.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

basketball is already good you jabronis

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

BWV posted:

yea i agree. so do you think the next 5 finals winners will be warriors warriors warriors warriors cavs, or warriors cavs warriors warriors cavs

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

BWV posted:

i dunno i could see losing 4 teams and not really feeling the lack

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

BWV posted:

basketball is already good you losers

it freaking owns

Artic Puma
Jun 22, 2007

Chef Curry with the pot, boy!

BWV posted:

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

ex post facho posted:

yea i agree. so do you think the next 5 finals winners will be warriors warriors warriors warriors cavs, or warriors cavs warriors warriors cavs

I feel like you are extremely shortsighted.

2000: So do you think the next 5 finals winners will be Lakers Lakers Lakers Lakers

2008: So do you think the next 5 finals winners will be Celtics Celtics Celtics Celtics

2011: So do you think the next 5 finals winners will be Miami Miami Miami Miami

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
i don't think it's really shortsighted to think that wahtever team lebron and curry are on are favorites to make it to the finals for the next 5 years, or i guess until lebron finally starts breaking down, which will admittedly probably happen in the next 3 years

the nba could eliminate:

- Nuggets
- Jazz
- Suns
- Grizzlies
- Bucks
- Timberwolves
- Pistons
- Magic
- Pels
- Hornets
- Raptors
- Nets
- Pacers
- Thunder
- Kings

disperse their talent to the other 15 teams and you instantly have a better league, full of stacked teams that would produce the best most competitive basketball youve ever seen

ex post facho fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jun 15, 2017

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

ex post facho posted:

IF YOU DON'T LIKE THE PRODUCT DON'T WATCH IT

The NBA is in a good place right filled with lots a young talent. No one knows how the NBA will look in 2 years. If parity is what you desire then basketball is not the game for you

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

BWV posted:

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

ex post facho posted:

the nba could eliminate:

- Nuggets
- Jazz
- Suns
- Grizzlies
- Bucks
- Timberwolves
- Pistons
- Magic
- Pels
- Hornets
- Raptors
- Nets
- Pacers
- Thunder
- Kings

disperse their talent to the other 15 teams and you instantly have a better league, full of stacked teams that would produce the best most competitive basketball youve ever seen

You could eliminate half the league of any sport and it'd be more competitive. Why not just have two teams?

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

ex post facho posted:

the nba could eliminate:

- Nuggets
- Jazz
- Suns
- Grizzlies
- Bucks
- Timberwolves
- Pistons
- Magic
- Pels
- Hornets
- Raptors
- Nets
- Pacers
- Thunder
- Kings

Nah that's too many, there are enough decent-to-good players to support more teams than 16 or whatever. like 24 feels pretty good

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

You are literally insane.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

ex post facho posted:

i guess i'd start by reforming the draft lottery system and drastically reworking salary caps

Neither of these things had all that much to do with the Warriors. They didn't win lotteries and they were pretty average in terms of total team salary (#7, but less than 7% higher than the #15 team).

ex post facho posted:

This is retrospective. If this is such a slam dunk go take out a home loan and bet on it. Lots of people weren't giving Cleveland a chance in hell until they won and there are people on this board who think the Warriors would have had trouble getting past the Spurs if not for an injury. If that injury happened to Durant instead of Kawhi I am pretty sure this Finals would have looked WAYY different.

3 years ago the Warriors were outside of the top-5 in Finals odds. 3 years from now there is no telling what things will look like.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Metapod posted:

IF YOU DON'T LIKE THE PRODUCT DON'T WATCH IT

The NBA is in a good place right filled with lots a young talent. No one knows how the NBA will look in 2 years. If parity is what you desire then basketball is not the game for you

but i do like the product

i like the product even better when i feel like it's not entirely futile to be a fan of my team

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

ex post facho posted:

the nba could eliminate:

- Nuggets
- Jazz
- Suns
- Grizzlies
- Bucks
- Timberwolves
- Pistons
- Magic
- Pels
- Hornets
- Raptors
- Nets
- Pacers
- Thunder
- Kings

except they wouldn't because you can only play 5 players at once.

this thread is full of posters who love the current product. Is it sort of annoying that the 2nd best player went to the best team? sure. But it doesn't change the fact that the on court product on a night to night basis is immensely entertaining and the current players, even those who play on the least competitive teams, are full of personality and outside of Ian S are so loving good at putting the basketball into the net

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Let's take half the teams out and destroy all opportunities for youth to grow and the league itself. Yes this is s good idea

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

contraction assumes that the amount of talented people coming into the nba is set in stone and that the # of teams has no impact on the evaluation of talent, and the likeliness of athletes to become nba players. thats pretty naive and unfounded. seems like an insanely simplistic approach to something thats really complicated.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

ex post facho posted:

i don't think it's really shortsighted to think that wahtever team lebron and curry are on are favorites to make it to the finals for the next 5 years

naw

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
actually the idea of a premier league system like the English soccer system sounds like it'd work pretty well for the NBA without needing contraction

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Also Shrinking the league makes the product infinitely worse.

Less teams mean talent can pool way easier. If you think you're seeing the same 2 teams in the finals now, enjoy seeing the CP3/Harden/Kawhi/Lebron/Davis Cavs go up against the Curry/Thompson/Durant/Draymond/Cousins Warriors for 8 seasons in a row.

Lebron is going to be 38 in 5 years. Curry's ankles could die tomorrow and no one would bat an eye.

I've never mat a fan so fatalist that they hate their team so much they literally, unironically want they contracted.

Paul Zuvella fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jun 15, 2017

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

ex post facho posted:

actually the idea of a premier league system like the English soccer system sounds like it'd work pretty well for the NBA without needing contraction

the premier league is like the last direction i'd go if i'm looking for example of parity

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Paul Zuvella posted:

Also Shrinking the league makes the product infinity worse.

CP3/Harden/Kawhi/Lebron/Davis Cavs go up against the Curry/Thompson/Durant/Draymond/Cousins Warriors for 8 seasons in a row,.

drat i'd watch the poo poo out of that series

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Almost every single idea related to shrinking the number of teams or lessening the number of games would never ever be approved because of the revenue loss.

I mean a 70 game season would almost assuredly be a better product to watch but at no point in time in the world will the rich dickheads who own the teams let that 100 million dollars walk away from them so that sports nerds on the internet complain slightly less.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

ex post facho posted:

but i do like the product

i like the product even better when i feel like it's not entirely futile to be a fan of my team

lol

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Dutchy posted:

the premier league is like the last direction i'd go if i'm looking for example of parity

i meant in terms of relegation of clearly less competitive teams to their own "G league", i mean as everyone's talking about why waste everyone's time with the facade of a competitive league when (apparently) parity isn't important in the NBA?

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

RaySmuckles posted:

did this guy say that kobe lost to the pistons in 2004 and then lebron knocked them out in 2005? because the pistons went to the finals in 2005 and lost to the spurs. lebron didn't see the finals for two more years, and i'm pretty sure the 2007 pistons were nothing like the 2004-05 pistons

The 06 07 Pistons were Billups/Rip Hamilton/Tayshaun Prince/Chris Webber/Rasheed with Antonio Mcydess and Jason Maxiel coming off the bench which was otherwise loving horrible with Carlos Delfino, Flip Murray, rookie Amir Johnson, Nazr Muhammad, Dale Davis, and a 50 year old Lindsay Hunter. They ran Flip Saunders's 1965 offense of midrange jumpers to perfection and remained a very good defensive team despite Ben Wallace leaving for Chicago where he would again dominate Shaquille O'neal in the playoffs, the marble mouth who accused an innocent person of pedophilia to the police and who ruined TNT's NBA coverage, Shaq was again stymied by a better player who would, without Detroit's training staff, soon succumb to injuries.

I remember them fondly, I remember being tricked by broadcasters into thinking Carlos Delfino was always almost on the verge of breaking out and becoming a great basketball player. I remember Jason Maxiell's explosive fat guy dunks, I remember Chris Weber's midrange jumpers, and I remember the 1970s buddy comedy esque pairing of Flip Saunders and Flip Murray

I wonder if the Bulls stealing Ben Wallace away in free agency is what subconsciously motivated Joe Dumars to sign Ben Gordon and torpedo the franchise

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

BWV posted:

especially this year :smuggo:

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

ex post facho posted:

Manchester United literally has over 50% of primer league championships.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

ex post facho posted:

drat i'd watch the poo poo out of that series

THEN YOU SHOULD LOVE THE NBA RIGHT NOW WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Dejan Bimble posted:

The 06 07 Pistons were Billups/Rip Hamilton/Tayshaun Prince/Chris Webber/Rasheed with Antonio Mcydess and Jason Maxiel coming off the bench which was otherwise loving horrible with Carlos Delfino, Flip Murray, rookie Amir Johnson, Nazr Muhammad, Dale Davis, and a 50 year old Lindsay Hunter. They ran Flip Saunders's 1965 offense of midrange jumpers to perfection and remained a very good defensive team despite Ben Wallace leaving for Chicago where he would again dominate Shaquille O'neal in the playoffs, the marble mouth who accused an innocent person of pedophilia to the police and who ruined TNT's NBA coverage

I remember them fondly, I remember being tricked by broadcasters into thinking Carlos Delfino was always almost on the verge of breaking out and becoming a great basketball player. I remember Jason Maxiell's explosive fat guy dunks, I remember Chris Weber's midrange jumpers, and I remember the 1970s buddy comedy esque pairing of Flip Saunders and Flip Murray

that pistons team was so fun to watch, Rip Hamilton was so loving good at those elbow curls

carlos delfino was kindred spirits with eddie najera

• Locked thread