Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Both Corrin and Corrine didn't seem to think their choices were wrong, so they don't really deserve redemption imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Rangpur posted:

At this point you ought to just throw together the most ridiculous-looking Corrin(e) the character-creator will let you generate. Whatever the other merits of the game, there's no dignity to the story worth preserving.

Seconding this

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

not to mention generic Corrin(e) looks pretty borin'

hostess with the Moltres
May 15, 2013
I think you should name your MU Kamui and make them look as cool as you possibly can.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Corrine is the one hanging out with Ryoma and Xander in the FE Warriors trailer, to you should stick with her to retain canon. Even if that's not the name she will have in that game.

Although, if you wind up with making a new character, make them look as stupid as possible.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
I just noticed something, in Birthright, Camillia was next in line of succession, but abdicated on the basis she didn't really want to do it and thought Leo would be better at it (which means succession is eldest child), whilst in Conquest, Hinoka notes that Takumi would have been next in line, this means that Nhor is oldest child inherits, regardless of gender, whilst Hoshido is oldest son, unless there are no sons.

I'm not quite sure what to make of that...

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Stephen9001 posted:

Japan. More so than any other Fire Emblem I've played or seen played to date, Fates feels like it was made and written from a very Japanese viewpoint, with Hoshido as the very proper faction and Nohr as a bunch of colorful barbarians.

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

guys its just like if you had an apple with a straw n you poked the apple though wit it n a pebbl hadnt dropped through itd stop straw insid the apple because gravity cant apple

Stephen9001 posted:

I just noticed something, in Birthright, Camillia was next in line of succession, but abdicated on the basis she didn't really want to do it and thought Leo would be better at it (which means succession is eldest child), whilst in Conquest, Hinoka notes that Takumi would have been next in line, this means that Nhor is oldest child inherits, regardless of gender, whilst Hoshido is oldest son, unless there are no sons.

There are plenty of different types of succession laws out there. Nohr is following cognatic succession, meaning that the eldest child regardless of gender inherits. Hoshido is following agnatic-cognatic succession, meaning that unless there is no male heir, females are not in the line of succession.

Play Crusader Kings II and you'll learn all about the different types of succession that exist and have that useless knowledge forever!

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
Hinoka was next in line after Ryoma, she just says in the ending that after Ryoma, she was expecting that she would "pass the honor" on to Takumi because she was never really interested in the throne and Ryoma/Takumi were the born leaders. Seems like it would have been the same situation as Camilla.

beru04
May 4, 2013

Stop making me realise things.

Gravity Cant Apple posted:

There are plenty of different types of succession laws out there.

Well clearly one of the succession laws is cheating if they're not the same for everyone :colbert:

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

U-DO Burger posted:

Both Corrin and Corrine didn't seem to think their choices were wrong, so they don't really deserve redemption imo

Yeah can we have like, Chris or Robin fall in from an extra-dimensional portal and try to salvage this whole thing?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Nah lets just have the ongoing adventure of plot so that we can watch the main cast ceaslessly praise the plot while we call retarded plot like we see it.

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
Um are all the latest posts images not loading for anyone else?

okay scratch that none of the images form Tea appear to be loading at all.

cokerpilot fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jun 16, 2017

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Aesclepia posted:

CptWedgie, you seem really mad about the definition of 'cheating' in FireEmblem, which could be semantic or opinion, depending on where you stand. Maybe you should take a break?

I feel that the definition of "cheating" I'm using (anything a player cannot accomplish during normal play) is completely, 100% objective. The guys who keep using double standards are the ones who're being subjective.

Basically: There is no "semantic or opinion" when I am objectively right. The easiest way to get me to shut up about this is to admit that, yes, the computer cheats; whether that cheating is forgivable is a completely different question and is, indeed, a matter of opinion, unlike the question of "is this thing cheating?" (the answer to which is a resounding "yes").

RevolverDivider posted:

oh man, Bowser is such cheating in Mario. I can't jump on him!

At least Bowser has precedent (Spinies, fireballs, and so on). And an in-universe explanation (that shell of his has spikes, so it'd probably hurt to jump on it).

FoolyCharged posted:

...the computer rather openly isnt playing the same game as you...

This is objectively cheating. There is no getting around this fact. You guys just refuse to admit that the computer not playing fair is cheating (or perhaps even that the computer is CAPABLE of cheating).

I mean, if someone walks into a soccer game and starts treating it as American football, you'd accuse him of cheating even if he's following the rules of the game HE'S playing perfectly, and you would be completely correct because he's supposed to be playing SOCCER (and I guarantee the referee would call him out on this). Same concept, except you're inexplicably claiming that it's not cheating because computers.

Also note that I have specifically stated that while the computer cheats, I will FORGIVE certain cheats in the interest of a more entertaining game (though I neglected to specify what kind of cheating, in part because it varies both depending on the game and the degree to which it cheats).

"Redeem Corrine?" Considering how stupid her route was, I feel she's irredeemable.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Nah your concept of cheating is really stupid and arbitrary and you're weirdly insufferable about it.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

CptWedgie posted:

I feel that the definition of "cheating" I'm using (anything a player cannot accomplish during normal play) is completely, 100% objective. The guys who keep using double standards are the ones who're being subjective.

Basically: There is no "semantic or opinion" when I am objectively right. The easiest way to get me to shut up about this is to admit that, yes, the computer cheats; whether that cheating is forgivable is a completely different question and is, indeed, a matter of opinion, unlike the question of "is this thing cheating?" (the answer to which is a resounding "yes").

you are a caricature

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

RevolverDivider posted:

Nah your concept of cheating is really stupid and arbitrary and you're weirdly insufferable about it.

There is nothing stupid or arbitrary about "if I can't do it but the computer can, it's cheating." It's just holding it to the same standards of fairness I, myself, am held to; for the record, if I cheat in a game, I readily admit it (and take steps to ensure my cheating does not contaminate another player's experience, usually by just not playing online; many cheaters are not so restrained, case in point: Anyone in Fates offering Aptitude on a first-generation unit who is not Mozu in their castles... and quite frankly there're a lot of people who do that- more than enough to get it on literally everyone).

Lemme put it this way: In Awakening, you could only upgrade your weapons a total of eight levels, with a maximum of five in one stat. The computer regularly exceeded that because it's the computer, especially on higher difficulties. This is obviously cheating. (Maybe a Fire Emblem example will help? Not holding much hope of that, though, considering how you're carrying on...)

AriadneThread posted:

you are a caricature

You are in denial. So much so, in fact, that you may not even realize that you are.

If a player did any of the things the computer regularly does to keep up with the player (such as showing up as the same kind of Sorcerer that Iago is, complete with Staff Savant), you would rightly accuse him of cheating; literally the only difference is that it's the COMPUTER doing it... but you guys're insisting that this alone makes it completely okay and not cheating? THIS is why I'm accusing you guys of holding a double standard.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

By your definition of cheating, what games with an AI opponent *don't* cheat? Chess and Advance Wars? And I'm not sure about the latter, Days of Ruin definitely breaks it with having reinforcements spawn in cinematically rather than always built.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

cokerpilot posted:

Um are all the latest posts images not loading for anyone else?

okay scratch that none of the images form Tea appear to be loading at all.

LPix is down right now. baldurk didn't renew the security certificate for it yet.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

CptWedgie posted:

There is nothing stupid or arbitrary about "if I can't do it but the computer can, it's cheating."

Well I mean, outside of the fact that this definition means that the ai getting a fresh wave of generic mooks every map instead of a group with perma death and limited resources that would be emptied after a few missions is considered cheating under that definition and not a core function of how the game works and it's ruleset. Or how if you invert the rule, the player is a dirty cheater for having units that actually gain experience and get stronger! The gall of it all!

Just because your definition is objective doesn't mean that it's good.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Bruceski posted:

By your definition of cheating, what games with an AI opponent *don't* cheat? Chess and Advance Wars? And I'm not sure about the latter, Days of Ruin definitely breaks it with having reinforcements spawn in cinematically rather than always built.

Nah because even then one player gets to make their first move after gaining insight into what their opponent is doing. Or go first and get potentially 1 more turn of actions.

His rules for cheating objectively label every act in a game be it a sport, board, video, whatever as cheating.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

jesus christ wedgie how are you so bad at posting

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

CptWedgie posted:

You are in denial. So much so, in fact, that you may not even realize that you are.

i hadn't read a single word you typed until that post i quoted, my living strawman friend

anyway
i can't imagine how revelations is going to top conquest in bad writing, but i have confidence in this game

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

CptWedgie posted:

Not saying it doesn't need to give itself an advantage to compete with the average human player, just that that doesn't make said advantage not cheating.

Except enemy units in Fire Emblem generally follow the same rules as the player; the main advantages this series gives itself to challenge the player are numbers (there are pretty much ALWAYS more enemies than deployment slots, especially if you include reinforcements) and, to varying degrees, higher stats than you're expected to have by the point you get there (to force you to use your units wisely).

When enemies blatantly ignore the player's rules AS THE EXCEPTION (like Iago's "use staves infinitely" which is, from what I've seen, exclusive to him), those units are cheating because, generally speaking, enemies follow the SAME RULES AS THE PLAYER. To use the poker comparison again, most hands (generic enemies) give the machine six cards and one SPECIFIC hand (Iago) additionally switches the machine, and ONLY the machine, to draw poker (his immunity to the "limited usage of staves" rule). Or, to turn your Starcraft comparison back on you, one player starts with pre-constructed buildings in addition to their hatchery (or racial equivalent), additional starting currency, a better starting location, and/or scripted unit spawning (the various races being loosely comparable to Fire Emblem's class system, with each race being equivalent to a Fire Emblem team that primarily relies on one class... or maybe weapon triangle corner; pick the analogy you feel more appropriate).

"I make the rules" is the ultimate cheat, because anyone who tells you otherwise is in violation of any rule you make up to give yourself an unfair advantage (for example, the only thing stopping the guy who makes the rules from declaring that anyone who plays against him automatically loses is the fact that nobody would play with him if he did so). Let us not forget: Wars have been started over this sort of thing. IN REAL LIFE. (Probably not anything petty like the rules of a game, but a country's laws are similar enough to apply to this conversation.) Or, to keep it to pure gaming, if the player who invented the game and thus makes the rules unilaterally declares that he gets twice as many points for the same actions as any other player, you're probably not gonna play with him anymore even if he only scores half as often, because he's giving himself an unfair advantage and thus cheating.

Point is, as I mentioned before, you guys are using a double standard (things that are cheating for the player are fair when done by the computer because it's the computer), while I am judging both sides by the SAME standard (anything that is cheating when done by the player is cheating when done by the computer) and consciously FORGIVING it for cheating IN CERTAIN WAYS so it can keep up. The only possible way for something to be not cheating is for both sides to start perfectly even in starting resources of every kind (in Fire Emblem terms, start with perfectly identical units, such as, hypothetically speaking, a Fire Emblem Awakening map where you have Robin, Chrom, Lissa, and Frederick, each of them with a Second Seal or Master Seal and a high enough level to use it, and your enemies are all perfect copies of them right down to their equipment, with no additional members) AND follow exactly the same rules throughout the game (continuing the example, both sides are either capable of leveling up if they perform well enough or incapable of leveling up at all, both sides follow the same death rules, and so on); if one player is exempt from even one rule (say, one side in my example ALSO gets a baseline Donnel), that player is cheating even if everyone else agrees to it.

While it's true that I don't generally like fighting games (not the competitive type), the most appropriate metaphor to use with them to illustrate my point is comparing the playable version of a character to its boss-only version. Two players picking two different characters is perfectly legit because either player could have selected the character the other is using and both are intended to be relatively even (in the vein of one player using Xander as a Great Knight while another leaves him as a Paladin, with each of them being statistically identical while using the same class); one player picking one character while the other uses a code to use the boss version OF that character (who is far more powerful than the player is meant to have access to due to being a boss, and often has moves which the legitimately-playable version can't use) is NOT (Xander as a Paladin versus a version of him using a hypothetical enemy-exclusive super-class which gives +10 to every stat and cap relative to Paladin and has the entire weapon triangle at A-rank... which happens to ALSO be named Paladin).

is your name cptwedgie because you make everyone within a 100 mile radius want to give you one

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

AriadneThread posted:

i hadn't read a single word you typed until that post i quoted, my living strawman friend

anyway
i can't imagine how revelations is going to top conquest in bad writing, but i have confidence in this game

Revelations was so bad that I never finished it, and I've beaten Conquest four times.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

and seriously, every enemy in every video game ever made 'cheats.' they're a computer. they do things the player can't do. goombas in super mario brothers can go backwards the way they came, something mario can't do. who the hell cares. seriously, you post like someone who thinks he's incredibly intelligent but these are some of the dumbest points ive ever seen. more words doesn't make your point more valid. read a book.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jun 16, 2017

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
This guy makes me look like the Guinness Book of World Record's World's Best Poster, and considering how crappy I am, that's saying something.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

U-DO Burger posted:

jesus christ wedgie how are you so bad at posting

Literally the only bad things I see about my posts (or at least the ones you're likely complaining about right now, specifically my "games cheat" posts) are that I'm getting obviously angry in them, and perhaps being too confrontational about the subject (the "you're in denial" comment, in particular, probably being the worst offense due to being a personal attack on another person in the discussion; the "double standard" statements, though, are definitely true, and nobody has denied them). I have yet to see a single reason to change my position on this issue, let alone a convincing one; the only thing I have seen is an audience that is actively hostile to the very idea that game devs do anything unfair, in spite of the evidence to the contrary I have presented AND a few of them even giving examples of their own.

And yes, enemy reinforcements are, indeed, a form of cheating, albeit one I forgive if not taken too far ("too far" being infinitely-spawning enemies that the player can't kill before the next wave at the expected level and are required to be killed to complete the map). As for enemy units not gaining experience... well, best explanation for that is that it's not taking advantage of all the rules the player benefits from in order to offer a consistent challenge. (Yes, I know, that's just a fancy way of saying "the game gives the player a handicap.")

AriadneThread posted:

And thus you have confirmed that you have no idea what I'm even talking about, and thus have no right to call me a "strawman." After all, strawmen rarely, if ever, present actual, concrete evidence that actually supports their stances; I, on the other hand, have repeatedly listed specific ways that games DO NOT OBEY the same rules that players do, and called them out as the cheating they are.

I would've accepted "self-righteous" without complaint (after all, I am the guy who's been refusing to back down until you admit the game's cheating, and often ranting on the subject- yes, I'm mature enough to admit that I'm ranting); calling me a "caricature" or a "strawman," on the other hand, is pretty inaccurate when I have both an actual, legitimate point and actual evidence.

Endorph posted:

and seriously, every enemy in every video game ever made 'cheats.' they're a computer. they do things the player can't do. goombas in super mario brothers can go backwards the way they came, something mario can't do. who the hell cares.

Finally! ONE of you admits that games cheat! (I could've done without the personal attack from the edit, though... completely uncalled for.)

Since I have finally gotten the concession I have been aiming for from the beginning, I will shut up about this. (I should probably apologize for starting an argument, but you guys were dicks.)

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
stop posting like an angsty teenager asshat

wordcount per post does not make you more interesting or intelligent, just tirelessly annoying

How Rude fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jun 16, 2017

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cythereal posted:

Japan. More so than any other Fire Emblem I've played or seen played to date, Fates feels like it was made and written from a very Japanese viewpoint, with Hoshido as the very proper faction and Nohr as a bunch of colorful barbarians.
also this post is worse than that wedgie guy

edit: after reading whatever the hell he just posted, i change my mind

i'll make this super clear: nobody is saying that video games don't cheat. they're saying nobody cares.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

CptWedgie posted:

Literally the only bad things I see about my posts (or at least the ones you're likely complaining about right now, specifically my "games cheat" posts) are that I'm getting obviously angry in them, and perhaps being too confrontational about the subject (the "you're in denial" comment, in particular, probably being the worst offense due to being a personal attack on another person in the discussion; the "double standard" statements, though, are definitely true, and nobody has denied them). I have yet to see a single reason to change my position on this issue, let alone a convincing one; the only thing I have seen is an audience that is actively hostile to the very idea that game devs do anything unfair, in spite of the evidence to the contrary I have presented AND a few of them even giving examples of their own.

And yes, enemy reinforcements are, indeed, a form of cheating, albeit one I forgive if not taken too far ("too far" being infinitely-spawning enemies that the player can't kill before the next wave at the expected level and are required to be killed to complete the map). As for enemy units not gaining experience... well, best explanation for that is that it's not taking advantage of all the rules the player benefits from in order to offer a consistent challenge. (Yes, I know, that's just a fancy way of saying "the game gives the player a handicap.")

And thus you have confirmed that you have no idea what I'm even talking about, and thus have no right to call me a "strawman." After all, strawmen rarely, if ever, present actual, concrete evidence that actually supports their stances; I, on the other hand, have repeatedly listed specific ways that games DO NOT OBEY the same rules that players do, and called them out as the cheating they are.

I would've accepted "self-righteous" without complaint (after all, I am the guy who's been refusing to back down until you admit the game's cheating, and often ranting on the subject- yes, I'm mature enough to admit that I'm ranting); calling me a "caricature" or a "strawman," on the other hand, is pretty inaccurate when I have both an actual, legitimate point and actual evidence.

Finally! ONE of you admits that games cheat! (I could've done without the personal attack from the edit, though... completely uncalled for.)

Since I have finally gotten the concession I have been aiming for from the beginning, I will shut up about this. (I should probably apologize for starting an argument, but you guys were dicks.)

for the sake of everyone especially yourself please stop posting in this thread. I have a whole new realm of appreciation for Junpei's posting now.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

RevolverDivider posted:

for the sake of everyone especially yourself please stop posting in this thread. I have a whole new realm of appreciation for Junpei's posting now.

Aw, thanks!

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Why does it matter if the computer cheats? It's not like this is Mario Kart Wii where it was handled really poorly, and made the experience actively miserable.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Your posts are bad because you treat this thread like a super serious debate instead of just a place where nerds can have fun shootin' the breeze about a video game series they like

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Dr. Fetus posted:

Why does it matter if the computer cheats? It's not like this is Mario Kart Wii where it was handled really poorly, and made the experience actively miserable.

Exactly, I don't even understand how a single player RPG can "cheat" unless it's actively creating an unwinnable situation for the player. It's not like the computer gets any satisfaction from causing a game over. The game presents a puzzle and gives you the tools to solve it. It doesn't matter if the tools it gave you to solve the puzzle aren't the same ones it used to make it.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

U-DO Burger posted:

Your posts are bad because you treat this thread like a super serious debate instead of just a place where nerds can have fun shootin' the breeze about a video game series they like

Okay, yeah, I'll admit I do that. Already have, really, by calling myself self-righteous.

To be fair, though, I was not the only one escalating things. However, I have already agreed to drop the subject, so let's just treat that argument as finished and be done with it, okay? I certainly will.

Aesclepia
Dec 5, 2013
Next verse same as the first.

dude789 posted:

Exactly, I don't even understand how a single player RPG can "cheat" unless it's actively creating an unwinnable situation for the player. It's not like the computer gets any satisfaction from causing a game over. The game presents a puzzle and gives you the tools to solve it. It doesn't matter if the tools it gave you to solve the puzzle aren't the same ones it used to make it.

Thank you for articulating this better than I could!

And I voted for a new female My Unit, and fully agree with super ridiculous. Some of the facial expressions look so unamused witheverything; Tae should combine that with wild hair in a clashing color.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I don't remember birtright Corrin being particularly dumb or awful, neither in revelation. Some other characters very much so but we'll get to that. :D

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Birthright Corrin(e)'s main problem is that he or she is trapped in the most generic 'us good, them bad' scenario possible. The fact that they're permitted to kill the enemy because Hoshido is the righteous kingdom is an interesting but almost certainly unintended theme, and it's the only wrinkle in the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

BlackPersona posted:

Goku, and use the appropriate hairstyle.

This for Revelation Corrin

• Locked thread