Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

By that point they were making the games using whatever change they found on the pachinko parlor floor

Harmony of Despair is still funny to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Sakurazuka posted:

By that point they were making the games using whatever change they found on the pachinko parlor floor

s'true, portrait before it had the same problem but probably even worse to be fair.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Regy Rusty posted:

I don't agree with it, Dawn sucked and I almost quit before finishing it. I was so tired of the soul mechanic after doing it and Aria back to back.

Dawn of Sorrow is the greatest Castlevania game. objective fact :colbert:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Really Pants posted:

look forward to Trails under Silent Heaven in Q4 2017

Trails Under Cold Hearts: Unlimited Skyline

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

tap my mountain posted:

Everybody knows that butts are the new boobs in gaming

Pretend I posted that famous page from the Prison School manga

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Mak0rz posted:

Dawn of Sorrow is the greatest Castlevania game. objective fact :colbert:

Of the 5 I've played it was the worst by far. Tying weapon strength to Souls as well as abilities was a horrible decision and made it extremely tedious.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Quest For Glory II posted:

i really like the little sub-genre Ecclesia has managed to carve out as other games like Shantae & the Pirate's Curse has followed its model of having a series of mini-metroidvania maps and as you get new abilities you can go between them and access new areas.

of course Ecclesia still had the "SYKE NOW THE REAL GAME BEGINS, IDIOT" huge castle

okay sub-genre is wrong word but it's a unique FLAVOR of metroidvania for sure

Dragon trap

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

tap my mountain posted:

Trails Under Creation: Heroes Infinite Skyline

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

just stay away from Trails under Rose Dawn, they kind of lost their way with that one

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Anyway regardless Symphony of the Night is obviously the best one come on

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Regy Rusty posted:

Tying weapon strength to Souls

maybe I'm misremembering the game because I haven't played it in like ten years but what does this mean?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Lakbay posted:

Pretend I posted that famous page from the Prison School manga

What famous page

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Phantasium posted:

Harmony of Despair is still funny to me.

was that the multiplayer thing crafted entirely out of reused assets and with a grind focused repetition model? i was holding out hope that would migrate to steam as a quick konami crash grab once upon a time

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the main character of trails of cold steel is voiced by the same guy who voiced the great deku tree and revali in breath of the wild

https://soundcloud.com/anime_sonicmega/revalio-kart-8-double-dash

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

It's too easy for me now, though.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Regy Rusty posted:

I can't get behind your hate for Dawn, but this is an opinion I can support.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Regy Rusty posted:

That's a weird way to spell Order of Ecclesia

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Cowcaster posted:

was that the multiplayer thing crafted entirely out of reused assets and with a grind focused repetition model? i was holding out hope that would migrate to steam as a quick konami crash grab once upon a time

Yeah.

Also that the name is stupidly similar to Harmony of Dissonance.

It's pretty fun actually I should replay some the stages sometime.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Circle of the Moon was first Castlevania so I have a lot of affection for it, but the random drop system really sucks in that the card system requires you to collect lots of rare drops and each one is a complete suite of abilities or modifiers so unless you use a guide to grind specific enemies you're probably going to miss out on the majority of the magic system's functionality.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ecclesia and SotN are on about the same level for me

Kassoon
Nov 16, 2005

gonna hit you with his cockatrice

Saint Freak posted:

The champion, Mr Yabuki. And also some other guy that lost to him?

Just cut out all this esports bullshit and stream the QA team playing each other

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Guy Mann posted:

Circle of the Moon was first Castlevania so I have a lot of affection for it, but the random drop system really sucks in that the card system requires you to collect lots of rare drops and each one is a complete suite of abilities or modifiers so unless you use a guide to grind specific enemies you're probably going to miss out on the majority of the magic system's functionality.

or you can just pause the game while the "turn on magic" animation is playing and switch the indicators to any two cards you want and use every single combination from the get go provided you had the magic

circle of the moon was not an extremely well playtested game

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Mak0rz posted:

maybe I'm misremembering the game because I haven't played it in like ten years but what does this mean?

Unlike good castlevania games, barely any weapons in Dawn are found lying around. You have to synthesize them with souls, with ones that will be any good whatsoever for damaging late game enemies and bosses requiring rare soul drops. You could not avoid grinding souls just to get the tools needed to progress and I hated it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah the cards were the worst bit in CotM, it would have been better if they were just more items you picked up in the world but even increasing the drop rates would help because it was entirely possible to finish the game with only like finding four of them.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The Colonel posted:

that's not a thing ecclesia invented, though i guess the earlier games to feature stuff like that didn't let you revisit areas

the revisiting areas is the important part of it, like the key part

you can't beat Odallus until you go back to earlier levels and use the new abilities to find secret exits to the hidden levels, for example

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Regy Rusty posted:

Unlike good castlevania games, barely any weapons in Dawn are found lying around. You have to synthesize them with souls, with ones that will be any good whatsoever for damaging late game enemies and bosses requiring rare soul drops. You could not avoid grinding souls just to get the tools needed to progress and I hated it.

Eh, I feel like you're overstating it, I finished the game fine just using the souls I got through playing normally, I didn't grind or anything.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

there was one card combo that would set your attack super high, but make it so you'd have to charge up a sword swing while standing still to hit at that attack value

or, you could just slide kick around on the floor like a dog rubbing its butt on the carpet since that just used the raw attack value and would do the exact same damage as the fully charged sword attack

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Using kicks to kill Castlevania bosses is a time honored tradition.

I love the fact that Galamoth takes more damage to the head in SotN, and it's a perfectly valid strategy to hyperjump through his lightning on the floor attack and then just jump kick his head a billion times.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Regy Rusty posted:

Lol what? Yes you can synth weapons with souls, but the notion that there aren't good ones laying around or to be bought with normal money is nonsense dude.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i honestly have completely wiped the dawn weapon upgrade system from my memory i just remember you had to hang onto the boss souls for 100% completion to get the infinite magic ring but then you could swing back and throw them in the furnace afterwards to top off your weapons too

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

FirstAidKite posted:

What famous page

I assume it's this one
https://m.imgur.com/zfGhws3

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Mak0rz posted:

Lol what? Yes you can synth weapons with souls, but the notion that there aren't good ones laying around or to be bought with normal money is nonsense dude.

Your memory is faulty, I'm sorry. The best weapons you can get without synthesis will only get you through the midgame. Believe me I looked into this as much as possible.

Are you sure you're not thinking of Aria? That game did have weapons lying around everywhere.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

While Dawn had weapons split into specific types which lead to less variety and less weapons lying around, the base upgrades take incredibly common souls and you never need the highest-tier equipment to beat the game, and there were still drops to grab from enemies. You don't need to grind unless you're just not fighting any enemies.

Dawn is where they started upping the difficulty however, but it's just like the ones after it where being able to dodge tells is more important than raw offense.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Sakurazuka posted:

Was an okay game and then he made four more much better ones after that?

Aria was really good but Dawn, Portrait and Order were all pretty lame.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

actual real castlevania tiers from best to worst
-symphony of the night
-order of ecclesia
-castlevania 3 japanese version
-rondo of blood
-can't think of one
-can't think of one
-harmony of dissonance
-all the beat em ups and castlevania 64

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

Aria was really good but Dawn, Portrait and Order were all pretty lame.

What did you dislike about Portrait and Order? I ended up liking them a bit better than Aria personally (though I'll admit that at that point Dawn had so tainted my feelings on the soul system that it might have made Aria feel slightly worse in retrospect).

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Portrait was just really, really dull in its level and enemy designs, final boss aside. I never really felt like I was exploring so much as just going in a straight line until I hit a boss. I also feel it was by far one of the most stat-heavy games in the series, where fighting an enemy has almost nothing to do with skill and everything to do with what level you're at. I know you can level that charge at almost every Castlevania after Symphony, but it felt by far the worst of them. Despite the weapon and spell variety I just kind of mashed my way through most battles and it was unchallenging and boring. I also thought the story was dull as dish water, even by the low standards of the series.

Something about the animations in the game suck, too. In particular, Jonathan swings his weapons really half-heartedly. Maybe it's supposed to make him look like he's too cool for school, but it just kind of makes him look like he sucks.

I only played like 1/4 of Order and I was like "Yep it's another DS Castlevania" and put it down, so maybe I'm being a bit unfair to it.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

important e3 news (to me)

Cowcaster posted:

actual real castlevania tiers from best to worst
-symphony of the night
-order of ecclesia
-castlevania 3 japanese version
-rondo of blood
-can't think of one
-can't think of one
-harmony of dissonance
-all the beat em ups and castlevania 64
what about the ps2 ones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

man i'm hating how little i remember of these castlevania games because i did really like a lot of them while i was playing them but that was probably close to a decade ago for some of them at this point. i remember liking portrait of ruin well enough but the only memory i have is throwing custard pies at julius i think?

• Locked thread