Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

FuzzySkinner posted:

Yeah that was really the last year it was at full strength. That schedule they had back then was kinda mindblowing.

Fuzzy's Law, all AOW conversation will eventually route back to schedule discussions :haw:

2001 was the year Zanardi had his accident in Germany though :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I have CART on the brain.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

harperdc posted:

Fuzzy's Law, all AOW conversation will eventually route back to schedule discussions :haw:

2001 was the year Zanardi had his accident in Germany though :smith:

Ha!

Yeah....:smith:. I think that and 9/11 really killed their efforts at eurospeedway/rockingham. it's bullshit we didn't get to see Zanardi ever run Indy. He was quoted several times during "the split" that he joined CART to specifically do that.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Do you think people confused Alex Zanardi with Alessandro Zampedri?

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
CART's europe expansion was stupid.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Human Grand Prix posted:

CART's europe expansion was stupid.

if you don't have a guy of Mansell or Alonso's stature? Good luck trying to get the UK or Europe to give a poo poo about your series.

Brazil, Australia, and Japan are the only non-north american markets that work. I think eurospeedway and rockingham would have been better served hosting XFS rounds in hindsight.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
I really like these Professor B videos Indycar does. A new one:

https://youtu.be/PrgVlSQT8XM

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I wonder just how encrypted that data is. :getin:

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan

IOwnCalculus posted:

I wonder just how encrypted that data is. :getin:

Well given that they have their own licensed bandwidth it'd be hard to even find something that can access that spectrum. Might have to ask some Cosworth people at RA about it :smaug:

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

The Matioli's (Pocono owners) developing a street circuit in Nashville and eyeing IndyCar and IMSA. Oh, and its a stadium parking lot circuit OH YAY:

http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/2017/06/15/grand-prix-nashville-pitched-nissan-stadium-takes-step-forward/399451001/

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Cygni posted:

The Matioli's (Pocono owners) developing a street circuit in Nashville and eyeing IndyCar and IMSA. Oh, and its a stadium parking lot circuit OH YAY:

http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/2017/06/15/grand-prix-nashville-pitched-nissan-stadium-takes-step-forward/399451001/

On one hand, doing it in a parking lot can be "uuuuuugh what is this, autocross?" and drainage problems if it rains.

The other is it keeps it off the main city streets, which keeps NIMBYs somewhat quiet. They'll still bitch and moan about it, but by then it's just the diehards. I think if done right, it could be good? Nashville does need a race though, and the fact they said they wouldn't ask the city for funding is also good.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

KingShibby posted:

Well given that they have their own licensed bandwidth it'd be hard to even find something that can access that spectrum. Might have to ask some Cosworth people at RA about it :smaug:

3.65-3.70 GHz, according to their FCC license. Which unfortunately seems to be outside the range of most cheap software defined radios.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Nashville Speedway is literally right there though and unused.

I definitely would go though for some reason (the race isn't happening lmao)

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
lets make a comprehensive list of good parking lot tracks:

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

About as successful at Le Mans as Toyota
please no more street circuits

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Proud Christian Mom posted:

caesars palace

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Proud Christian Mom posted:

2000s Denver wasn't bad

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

One of these days I want to see a street circuit attached to a sports stadium that goes through the sports stadium as a part of the track. All the fans could be in there and watch the race on the arena screens, but also get to experience a loud box of cars racing on a small ROC-style section of the track.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

WindyMan posted:

One of these days I want to see a street circuit attached to a sports stadium that goes through the sports stadium as a part of the track. All the fans could be in there and watch the race on the arena screens, but also get to experience a loud box of cars racing on a small ROC-style section of the track.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aut%F3dromo_Hermanos_Rodriguez

:confused:

e: fix't

Full Collapse fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jun 15, 2017

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

that link doesn't work

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

iospace posted:

that link doesn't work

It's Mexico, the F1 circuit.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Human Grand Prix posted:

Right, I knew that name was familiar :downs:

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

I think he means through a closed stadium. Kind of like driving through a drive through beer store.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

SPACE HOMOS posted:

I think he means through a closed stadium. Kind of like driving through a drive through beer store.

I figured, but this shows driving through a stadium can happen.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Street circuits would be better if they could choose more interesting roads.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

The problem is with the potential Nashville circuit is that Nissan Stadium uses natural grass. If they A. had a way in and out of the stadium that could accommodate the cars, B. made the area slow enough that if any car does impact the entrances (or any other part of the stadium for that matter) it won't do any damage, and C. a way to put down pavement without having to rip it up to put grass back in, sure, I can see a race going in and out of a stadium like that.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Human Grand Prix posted:

uhhhhh you mean the ChampCar WORLD SERIES circuit????

The layout was better pre tilkefication of the track, but they did make the stadium portion way better with the new pavement. The old bumpy concrete sucked.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
It was an F1 circuit long before Indycars ever appeared there.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Speaking of old bumpy concrete, Indy race at Sebring when?

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

iospace posted:

Remember the IRL races at Dover? lol

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Cygni posted:

uhhhhh you mean the ChampCar WORLD SERIES circuit????

No he means the Formula E circuit, obviously.

But yes, I meant it in the sense of the cars going through an enclosed space, like a large basketball/hockey arena or a domed football/baseball stadium. Though I suppose an outdoor football stadium would work too. Maybe Sam Boyd in Las Vegas? The supercross setup they have every year already goes in and out of the football field.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Human Grand Prix posted:

It was an F1 circuit long before Indycars ever appeared there.

i know i was goofin :(

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Bentai posted:

Street circuits would be better if they could choose more interesting roads.

Dear indycar: Upstage nascar on their home turf, do a race that's just real long laps around I-485

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Weve really only got 4 street circuits on the sched. There are 8 races left this year and only 1 more street circuit. I would be cool with adding 1 more if its somethin like Cleveland or Vancouver, but not another clown rear end zero grip no passing trash street circuit if we can avoid it.

But as we know, IndyCar will run your grandmothers dirt backyard if she could pay the $2m sanctioning fee.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Yeah Indycar running a parking lot in Nashville instead of the loving FAIRGROUNDS good one.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
OG Vancouver was a great street circuit, even if it was parking-lot ugly.

The various versions of Meadowlands were also all ugly but they usually seemed like they'd be pretty fun to drive.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Houston inexplicably made money and was relatively successful despite being the worst circuit in the world.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Feels Villeneuve posted:

OG Vancouver was a great street circuit, even if it was parking-lot ugly.

The various versions of Meadowlands were also all ugly but they usually seemed like they'd be pretty fun to drive.

OG Vancouver was the best street course. Yes better than Long Beach.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Human Grand Prix posted:

OG Vancouver was the best street course. Yes better than Long Beach.

Yeah Vancouver was Blade Runner-esque.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

About as successful at Le Mans as Toyota

iospace posted:

Pretty sure they do/did test there. Seems like it'd work okay, they've had good races at airfield tracks before.

• Locked thread