Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Ben Sasse also complains about rap music ruining society, but not in the way you would think!

Apparently, Rap in the 80's emphasized entrepreneurship, "the hustle," and respect.

Rap today glamorizes sex and drugs. It also teaches kids that there is no way out of their situation, so don't bother with entrepreneurship.

He says that Tupac had songs about his love and respect for his mom, but rappers today just talk about weed and don't respect women.

Meanwhile, I listen to rap/hip-hop like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkGwI7nGehA or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiUibQxWgik and wonder who the gently caress this Sasse rear end in a top hat listens to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013
^^ 50 bucks says he's only ever listened to the first DC Talk album and even that's doubtful.

I've got a Congressman with a tele-town hall coming up. Is there a good way to record it?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I'm Turkish. This is solidly in the "does not matter" category. Erdogan's security detail consists entirely of thugs and they are all interchangeable. He will just send another dozen in the place of those with arrest warrants.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

There haven't been any polls of GA-06 released today.

There's one from yesterday at O +3 and one from two days ago that was a tie.

He might be looking at the SurveyUSA poll from Tuesday.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/EricBoehlert/status/875421861882077185
https://twitter.com/ABCPolitics/status/875423757086720002
https://twitter.com/ericgeller/status/875401274505785344
https://twitter.com/thedailybeast/status/875420188858081284
https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/875403562079186948
https://twitter.com/FederalistPitch/status/875415817441169408
https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/875419525004615680
https://twitter.com/pemalevy/status/875417019289620482
https://twitter.com/colinjones/status/875423866302148612
https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/875424114441428992
https://twitter.com/JamilSmith/status/875426296704126976

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Dogwood Fleet posted:

^^ 50 bucks says he's only ever listened to the first DC Talk album and even that's doubtful.

I've got a Congressman with a tele-town hall coming up. Is there a good way to record it?

I would think any screen recording tool would work. Camtasia etc or similar

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Trump wanted to lose and then launch Trump TV and feed off the outrage machine. Simple as that.

Maybe this "everyone is so mean to me and I can't get anything done because of liars and obstructionists" trumpet he's been blowing on since inauguration is just setting the stage for his inevitable resignation to launch Trump TV where he can do *real* work to MAGA without interference.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I was super excited until I saw it was about the Turkish guys. :(

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Something, something the 1%ers

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

This one sort of sounds like "Shoot more republicans, it's the only thing that makes them think about what they do"

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Ben Sasse also complains about rap music ruining society, but not in the way you would think!

Apparently, Rap in the 80's emphasized entrepreneurship, "the hustle," and respect.

Rap today glamorizes sex and drugs. It also teaches kids that there is no way out of their situation, so don't bother with entrepreneurship.

He says that Tupac had songs about his love and respect for his mom, but rappers today just talk about weed and don't respect women.

As always, Republicans reinforcing their bad opinions on everything else with bad music opinions

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I feel weird when people talk about "being president ages you" as being like it's an actual thing instead of just like a metaphor + bad lighting

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

The Glumslinger posted:

Something, something the 1%ers

This is CEOs, so it's really 0.01%ers

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Gort posted:

This one sort of sounds like "Shoot more republicans, it's the only thing that makes them think about what they do"

I really don't have the confidence in Republicans to look at themselves getting shot and think "maybe we have hosed up".

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Ben Sasse also thinks that preservatives and "red dye" (???) in our food are the causes for the increase in ADHD.

Also, ADHD can be cured or prevented with "parental discipline" most of the time.

Somehow, a book that barely talks about his political positions is way worse than one outlining his policy goals.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I feel weird when people talk about "being president ages you" as being like it's an actual thing instead of just like a metaphor + bad lighting

Well, it ages you 8 years.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Stress does genuinely make you look older.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

oh poo poo. Australia, prepare for war

https://twitter.com/WSJ/status/875427442696921088

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Also, ADHD can be cured or prevented with "parental discipline" most of the time.

Somehow, a book that barely talks about his political positions is way worse than one outlining his policy goals.

hmm yes, just beat your kids until their mental disorder is resolved. what could possibly go wrong there?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Stress accelerates aging, so yeah, being President most likely does age the person more than they would otherwise have.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
It's been just 5 months and Trump looks both older and unhealthier than he did before the election. The mans body literally won't survive 4 years at this.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Ague Proof posted:

Stress does genuinely make you look older.

It makes you biologically older too.

Throwing Turtles
May 3, 2015

Ben Sasse also says in his book that when he was a kid, it was common for strangers to spank other people's children in public.

That this no longer happens is the reason why we have "children in their 30's."

Ben Sasse is my age which means he's full of poo poo. Also the kids he could remember getting spanked would be in their thirties now.

Also why are we talking about this guy?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Aves Maria! posted:

hmm yes, just beat your kids until their mental disorder is resolved. what could possibly go wrong there?

the reason authoritarians are so big into physically disciplining their kids is that it turns the kids into a nervous wreck or the kid survives it and becomes a little drone, from the parents perspective

of course, beating kids just teaches them to either stop doing what they're doing (submit unconditionally to the parent's will at all times lest your body be harmed) or it teaches them to be real good liars (can't hit me if you dont know what i've done, sucker)

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Ben Sasse also thinks that preservatives and "red dye" (???) in our food are the causes for the increase in ADHD.

He's definitely running for president.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Throwing Turtles posted:

Ben Sasse is my age which means he's full of poo poo. Also the kids he could remember getting spanked would be in their thirties now.

it's interesting to find a guy who may be a worse parent than Donald Trump.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Ahaha soon he'll sour on all our actual friends and traditional allies and just continue cozying up to autocrats

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

The belief that food colorings cause allergies and ADHD is actually pretty old, going back to the 70s I think, and probably not that uncommon. Of course it's totally bunk, though, and Sasse is dumb.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

ReidRansom posted:

Ahaha soon he'll sour on all our actual friends and traditional allies and just continue cozying up to autocrats

The next administration will be wondering what to do with a great relationship with Turkey and Russia and the Philippines, but France and Australia hate us.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Zophar posted:

Maybe this "everyone is so mean to me and I can't get anything done because of liars and obstructionists" trumpet he's been blowing on since inauguration is just setting the stage for his inevitable resignation to launch Trump TV where he can do *real* work to MAGA without interference.

Quitting your term early to be on TV shows...hmm, where have I heard this before???

Hopefully it goes just as well for him as it did for her

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Throwing Turtles posted:

He just put out a new book, seems to be positioning himself as the "anti-Trump conservative," and is probably announcing his candidacy for President in 6 years.

Also, he believes weird things and is currently enjoying a lot of praise in the media for being a "sensible" and cool Republican.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

gently caress bitches, get money

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
America's relationships will be fine after Trump so long as:
1. Reaffirm our international commitments/partnerships
2. Approach thee world stage hat in hand

The loss is the opportunities resulting in missed growth and leadership in the meantime

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

BarbarianElephant posted:

The next administration will be wondering what to do with a great relationship with Turkey and Russia and the Philippines, but France and Australia hate us.

America's relationship with Turkey is very strained and won't get any better anytime soon.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Peetown Manning posted:

Hip Hop G.o.A.T is between him and Biggie for sure. Lotta commercialized clowns these days, who do just rap about drugs thanks to....alotta guys like Ben Sasse behind the scenes or in management at the big record companies!

Also I love Lil Wayne but he is really lucky that "nigga" rhymes with "nigga"
Hot take from 2005

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Boon posted:

America's relationships will be fine after Trump so long as:
1. Reaffirm our international commitments/partnerships
2. Approach thee world stage hat in hand

The loss is the opportunities resulting in missed growth and leadership in the meantime

Countries will probably be more wary of America going forward given its demonstrated habit of electing idiots.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

enraged_camel posted:

America's relationship with Turkey is very strained and won't get any better anytime soon.

It's a very odd situation with Turkey in NATO but neighbors and now Dictator Bros with Russia. Do you see them leaving NATO at some point?

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

BarbarianElephant posted:

Yeah, about Turkey...

https://twitter.com/joshledermanAP/status/875429015577927680

Probably won't go beyond the normal grumbling that happens with these things, but with Trump being Trump and the present state of the State Dept. being what it is, who knows.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

mcmagic posted:

He's definitely running for president.

hopefully in 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

uh trump just said "I feel like Steve has made a great sacrifice..."

thats ominous

• Locked thread