Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
What you may not have noticed: the rest of the characters sliding very slowly to the right for no apparent reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Hey, at least we now know the true identity of the skull knight.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Pooncha posted:

I didn't realize there was a new anime version out.

e: dammit refresh button

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Tired Moritz posted:

yeah it reeks of LOOK AT HOW EPIC WE ARE. so fan-game.

That was my thought when I saw the music links. It's the equivalent of every time you fight 3 goblins the game plays Dancing Mad.

Asator
Oct 21, 2010

Bydoless posted:

Regarding changes between versions, was Julia's team nerfed in some way at any point in development? Her Emolga having Acrobatics but for some reason also holding a Potion that it can never use and never get rid of by itself does ask some questions.

Also, have those Lightningrod-capable Pokemon found before Julia always existed or were they added at some point?

Were you able to catch any Ground-type or Ghost-type Pokemon before Julia at any point prior to this version?

I don't remember if the acrobatics thing was there from the beginning. I never looked under the hood in the same way you are, so it could have been and I just didn't notice, or it could have been nerfed at some point before I started playing (the first version I played was at Episode 11).

A fully-powered Acrobatics is absolutely absurd at this point even for Reborn, though, so it is probably intentional.

I believe the Blitzle was originally an Electrike, but Pachirisu and Goldeen were both obtainable at this point when I played. However, there were still no obtainable ground or ghost types at this stage. I think there was/is an NPC somewhere who even mentions this, just to rub it in.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Is there any way you can steal that Emolga's hold item and get a free Potion?

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I gave up Berserk anime way before that point - where they made everything Guts' sword hit have the sound of a man slamming a skillet against a metal pipe - other swords, trees, bisecting human bodies - CLANG CLANG CLANG

Susumu Hirasawa's music deserves better than 2016/2017 Berserk Anime

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
What, no mention of the multiple almost-rape scenes in the first episode?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

PMush Perfect posted:

What, no mention of the multiple almost-rape scenes in the first episode?

That's just kind of assumed for Berserk, I thought.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I agree about shorter updates, but I kinda like having them off-site. As long as the links are noticeable, it makes it easier to follow conversation in a thread and avoids the load-fest that can occur when updates outpace other posts too much and all wind up on one page. Is there a reason folks don't do that normally?

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jun 13, 2017

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Bruceski posted:

I agag about shorter updates, but I kinda like having them off-site. As long as the linka are noticable, it makes it easier to follow conversation in a thread and avoids the load-fest that can occur when updates outpace other posts too much nd all wind up on one page. Is there a reason folks don't do that normally?

Well, one thing to keep in mind for the test poster is that you have to keep track of all the editing links. So if you have to make a change to an update but don't have those, the update will be stuck like that.

Aside from that, I'm not really sure.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Also the test poster doesn't necessarily have everything the regular forums have, like certain emotes or Youtube/MP4 embedding.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
i am so sorry for derailing

please keep making more reborn updates i need to see how deep this rabbit hole goes (too deep)

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

That's a hell of a redtext.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Bruceski posted:

I agree about shorter updates, but I kinda like having them off-site. As long as the links are noticeable, it makes it easier to follow conversation in a thread and avoids the load-fest that can occur when updates outpace other posts too much and all wind up on one page. Is there a reason folks don't do that normally?
On top of what others said, it's harder to quote things from the test poster. It also breaks up the flow of reading the thread, which is slightly annoying. It'd be even worse if you were catching up on several updates.

I like it for optional asides(Crosspeice used it to good effect in their Yellow and Crystal LPs), but there aren't many advantages to using it for the bulk of the update.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
It's invaluable when you overload a page with updates and great for longer asides, but you really don't need to use it otherwise.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
honestly

when i played this game I barely remembered Julia as being exceptionally obnoxious to fight, and I didn't cheese it nearly as hard. I don't even think I found any of those Pokemon with Lightning Rod, I just kind of fought her normally with the team I had, probably lost a few times, likely barely won. I kind of found it interesting as someone who knows Pokemon but not at a competitive level. Normally gym matches kind of bore me because oh, just bring in a resistance/weakness and you'll be fine, but this one did a good job, to me, of feeling like a proper boss battle where you have to squeeze as much out of your team and rethink strategies to get through. Plus I mean, the ridiculous bump to Explosion is likely just more cosmetic than anything - at this point are you really going to have anything that can weather a 250 power anything attack? The game clearly telegraphs that hey, this gym leader is going to rely on Explosion, that's a thing you will have to deal with, and I think the more normal answer is 'just deal with how you'll have to sacrifice fodder' for most.

It's a gym slightly later on that I remembered as being 'okay, this is kind of ridiculous' (at exactly the point where it starts getting very, very stupid, and i stopped really playing) whose terrain effect is so incredibly obnoxious that you really don't have a choice but to get rid of it. Thankfully that isn't too /difficult/ to acquire, and with the ability to see exactly what each terrain effect can be adjusted and removed by it's a lot easier to search for, but...it kind of felt like a 'if I wasn't coincidentally using this one specific Pokemon the whole time on my team, I would've had to spend hours and hours getting it' battle.

also remember how the city part of the world map looked weird and from a different perspective? It actually kind of isn't - what you're seeing in it, as demonstrated in this update, is how half of the city is built on these huge tiered plateaus and is surrounded by enormous walls. It's a WEIRD layout for a city, that much is obvious.

Gyra_Solune fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jun 15, 2017

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I camr for pokemon, I enjoyed enoby and I am staying for the cheese and whine

azren
Feb 14, 2011

I realize I'm late to the party, and I'm not caught up yet, but...

:stonk:
Why? I can't... this is just... just why?
I'm going to be saying that a lot, aren't I?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

azren posted:

I realize I'm late to the party, and I'm not caught up yet, but...

:stonk:
Why? I can't... this is just... just why?
I'm going to be saying that a lot, aren't I?
Pokemon Clover is... something.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

Pokemon Clover is... something.

They had 386 slots to fill and it was 4chan supplying ideas.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
for being a stupid joke game, pokemon clover has too many ordinary-rear end pokemon. The fossils in particular, why aren't they either goofy fossils like a Neanderthal and a sauropod with a neck that takes up the entire sprite and still can't fit on the screen, or something like extremely old and tired memes

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
it's edgy humor.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Gyra_Solune posted:

honestly

when i played this game I barely remembered Julia as being exceptionally obnoxious to fight, and I didn't cheese it nearly as hard. I don't even think I found any of those Pokemon with Lightning Rod, I just kind of fought her normally with the team I had, probably lost a few times, likely barely won. I kind of found it interesting as someone who knows Pokemon but not at a competitive level. Normally gym matches kind of bore me because oh, just bring in a resistance/weakness and you'll be fine, but this one did a good job, to me, of feeling like a proper boss battle where you have to squeeze as much out of your team and rethink strategies to get through. Plus I mean, the ridiculous bump to Explosion is likely just more cosmetic than anything - at this point are you really going to have anything that can weather a 250 power anything attack? The game clearly telegraphs that hey, this gym leader is going to rely on Explosion, that's a thing you will have to deal with, and I think the more normal answer is 'just deal with how you'll have to sacrifice fodder' for most.

It's a gym slightly later on that I remembered as being 'okay, this is kind of ridiculous' (at exactly the point where it starts getting very, very stupid, and i stopped really playing) whose terrain effect is so incredibly obnoxious that you really don't have a choice but to get rid of it. Thankfully that isn't too /difficult/ to acquire, and with the ability to see exactly what each terrain effect can be adjusted and removed by it's a lot easier to search for, but...it kind of felt like a 'if I wasn't coincidentally using this one specific Pokemon the whole time on my team, I would've had to spend hours and hours getting it' battle.

also remember how the city part of the world map looked weird and from a different perspective? It actually kind of isn't - what you're seeing in it, as demonstrated in this update, is how half of the city is built on these huge tiered plateaus and is surrounded by enormous walls. It's a WEIRD layout for a city, that much is obvious.

I imagne the mapper saw FFVII and was all 'yes this is a great idea for a 2d game where you'll have to explore the whole thing'.

AmewTheFox
Oct 7, 2015

I AM THE STRENGTH
Of all the moves to have the first gym leader to emphasize, Explosion is not a good choice.

Not even Touhoumon Insane is that stupid. The first gym leader having six Pokemon is also not okay, as it assumes you fill up your team as fast as possible.

(mind you, I don't think that Reborn lists itself as an ultra-difficulty game, unlike TH Insane, though I suppose comparing the two is a wash, because at least Reborn won't have you run through a tree-forced-encounter maze as the first dungeon, in lowlight)

while the comparisons to MegaTen have been made, y'know when you fight Matador? a good amount of hours into the game, instead of being the FIRST BOSS.

Oh, whoops, Forneus is wrecking my poo poo with Mabufudyne. Time to find any demons that null Ice. (there aren't any at that point)

though, if this is going to be the base of difficulty, I'm curious as to how vertical this difficulty curve will go before it just plateaus and you just feel...nothing. (Also like TH Insane)

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.

AmewTheFox posted:

(mind you, I don't think that Reborn lists itself as an ultra-difficulty game, unlike TH Insane, though I suppose comparing the two is a wash, because at least Reborn won't have you run through a tree-forced-encounter maze as the first dungeon, in lowlight)

:magical:

And I thought the horror stories about this game and Rejuevenation regarding the difficulty were horrifying.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

AmewTheFox posted:

while the comparisons to MegaTen have been made, y'know when you fight Matador? a good amount of hours into the game, instead of being the FIRST BOSS.

Oh, whoops, Forneus is wrecking my poo poo with Mabufudyne. Time to find any demons that null Ice. (there aren't any at that point)

This right here is worth reiterating: All those hard Megaten games aren't hard right out the gate. The reason the Matador is such a shitwrecking difficulty spike is that up till that point you can sort of fumble through the game. The Hospital is easy street and the first couple of towns and overworld areas are pretty forgiving. Then you get to the Amala Network trip which is harder but you can still doable brute force and then the Underpass is also harder but you can still brute force it and then you hit the Matador whoops you're dead.

Matador is the end of Nocturne's the tutorial. By the time you've gotten to him you've had access to demon fusion, fought a lot of random encounters and a handful of bosses, encountered a bunch of different demons, had the opportunity to fiddle with a couple of Magatama, and had it hammered in that the Press Turn System is REALLY IMPORTANT. The first couple hours of every Megaten game is you being trained how to play a Megaten game, explore everywhere, play cautiously, go for advantages, pay attention to weaknesses and resistances, bring a wide spread of elements, fuse frequently, and remember that buffs are super powerful. The reason Matador is so notorious is that he's the comprehensive test for a class that a lot of players were not aware they were taking. If you "know" how to play Shin Megami Tensei games then Matador is completely fine, you have all the tools you need in front of you. On the other hand if you come into Nocturne because you heard it's a good game and you go about playing it like it's a Tales of or a Final Fantasy or a Golden Sun or something of a similar stripe he'll seem incredibly unfair.

A key to SMT is that there's a great degree of balance in what you have and what the enemies have. You can also buff yourself like crazy, be functionally invulnerable to nearly every attack, charge up and do ridiculous damage, spam weaknesses, load up on resistances, hobble and sicken your foes, and overall fight fire with fire. SMT games are hard because they have a specific way they want you to play and you'll suffer punitive results if you go astray from it, but they're also fair because within their system of play you can have success even if you aren't a hardcore Min/max fusing prodigy who creates exactly perfect demons. It's not until later in the game when you're well established that you run into gimmick bosses with unique super attacks and oneshot hard-mode mechanics and even then you can muddle through if you're muddling along in the right mindset. Bad Romhacks like Uranium are like SMT but without that leeway, you do not win unless you go about actively abusing the small number of ways that the game maker has deigned to allow as valid choices. "Hard" must be coupled with "fair" or else you aren't making Dark Souls or Shin Megami Tensei you're making dreck.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Original release of Witcher 2 on the other hand had that goddamn dragon and all the dudes and the only way past it was to totally disengage and let your immortal friends handle it, because it literally was not possible to use most of the games features because the tutorial wasn't done yet :v:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

To add, the store right before Matador has a force-nulling magatama and at level 18, you can fuse Megami Uzume who nulls force and has Media to vastly increase your action economy. If you're having trouble fighting him you can grind your way into an easier win.

For the most part, Reborn doesn't give you adequate tools to handle Julia's tactics. It's like Uranium, where you have one Chesto Berry and two steel-types to cope with Yawn+Scratch, except if you didn't have anything that resisted Normal. And no access to Mankey either.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Explosion is a dumb gimmick for a team anyway. It's not bad as an occasional gently caress you, but an entire team built around it without giving you rock/steel/ghost types to let it whiff feels like a bad and unfun plan.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

To add, the store right before Matador has a force-nulling magatama and at level 18, you can fuse Megami Uzume who nulls force and has Media to vastly increase your action economy. If you're having trouble fighting him you can grind your way into an easier win.

For the most part, Reborn doesn't give you adequate tools to handle Julia's tactics. It's like Uranium, where you have one Chesto Berry and two steel-types to cope with Yawn+Scratch, except if you didn't have anything that resisted Normal. And no access to Mankey either.

as mentioned by Matador, not only do you learn the press turn is important, but stat-changing moves are key to the MegaTen gameplan - in most JRPGs, if you're not doing direct damage or healing, you're wasting a turn, but in MegaTen, it's the difference between taking 100 damage an taking 23 damage

Robindaybird fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jun 15, 2017

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Robindaybird posted:

as mentioned by Matador, not only do you learn the press turn is important, but stat-changing moves are key to the MegaTen gameplan - in most JRPGs, if you're not doing direct damage or healing, you're wasting a turn, but in MegaTen, it's the difference between taking 100 damage an taking 23 damage

Pretty much this. Megaten in general is a Hard but Fair series. From what we've seen so far, this game is "Kick the player in the balls as hard as possible as soon as possible" if you don't know what's coming up. Megaten isn't generally regarded as "gently caress you: the game" unlike what loving Reborn throws your way as the first major hurdle. Seriously, I KNOW the game gives you the chance to get ready, but holy poo poo, an explosion team isn't loving genius, it's loving unfair since the game increases it's power to insane levels right from the get go.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Omnicrom posted:

This right here is worth reiterating: All those hard Megaten games aren't hard right out the gate. The reason the Matador is such a shitwrecking difficulty spike is that up till that point you can sort of fumble through the game. The Hospital is easy street and the first couple of towns and overworld areas are pretty forgiving. Then you get to the Amala Network trip which is harder but you can still doable brute force and then the Underpass is also harder but you can still brute force it and then you hit the Matador whoops you're dead.
The funny thing is, I generally do find MegaTen games the most difficult in the beginning. OK, the hospital was a cakewalk and I barely remember steamrolling Forneus, but the beginning of a MegaTen game barring maybe the first dungeon is the most difficult because of the relative lack of options (still more than Uranium or Reborn give you, but that's neither here nor there). By the time the gimmick bosses come around, everyone on my team is immune to both types of instant kill and I have every elemental attack available to me on a demon who probably nullifies its main weakness, which cuts down on the difficulty.

Omnicrom posted:

The reason Matador is so notorious is that he's the comprehensive test for a class that a lot of players were not aware they were taking. If you "know" how to play Shin Megami Tensei games then Matador is completely fine, you have all the tools you need in front of you. On the other hand if you come into Nocturne because you heard it's a good game and you go about playing it like it's a Tales of or a Final Fantasy or a Golden Sun or something of a similar stripe he'll seem incredibly unfair.
This is also true. By the time I played Nocturne, I had already played Strange Journey, Devil Survivor Overclocked, and Persona 3 FES. Matador was still a challenge, and it took me a couple of tries to beat him, but he certainly wasn't as difficult as I felt everyone was making him out to be. On the other hand, I almost quit playing Strange Journey due to having to fight Gore.

Cythereal posted:

Explosion is a dumb gimmick for a team anyway. It's not bad as an occasional gently caress you, but an entire team built around it without giving you rock/steel/ghost types to let it whiff feels like a bad and unfun plan.
Or in this case, Ground types or Pokemon with Lightning Rod, because the terrain effect changes it to Electric because gently caress you that's why.

Robindaybird posted:

Or in Matador's case, being able to hit at all; Red Capote is x4 Sukukaja, which means you suddenly have like 20% accuracy without buffs of your own. It also teaches you how effective the accuracy/evasion buffs are; watching yourself whiff against Matador for a while will make you want to get some of that yourself.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Commander Keene posted:

Or in Matador's case, being able to hit at all; Red Capote is x4 Sukukaja, which means you suddenly have like 20% accuracy without buffs of your own. It also teaches you how effective the accuracy/evasion buffs are; watching yourself whiff against Matador for a while will make you want to get some of that yourself.

That's the case with Minotaur in IV also with stat debuffs. He's already a mean son of a bitch to begin with, you really don't need him spamming war cry and dropping your attack and defense.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Though one of the biggest problems with the idea of "you have these skills too" is that, sadly, a lot of games do that, with one big difference: They don't work on enemies that matter. Other games teach you "sure, you have these debuffs and status effects, but when the bosses come, they're meaningless, and normal enemies are more easily dealt with via punching". So, when people who aren't used to SMT games come to Matador, they see a standard boss compliment of powerful buffs and debuffs, and they figure "well, that poo poo won't work on him, because boss".

It's a mindset that has to be broken before you can really get into SMT games, otherwise they feel hard as poo poo because you've been conditioned to ignore all those options you're given.

Ace of Aces
Feb 25, 2017

ZENRYOKU ZENKAI

AmewTheFox posted:

Forneus' attacks are also really weak. He has a lot of HP, but that's pretty much it. It's honestly pretty weird; when I was first playing it and saw him break out the AoEs I was like "OH poo poo" and then I wasn't dead and was kind of disappointed.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

It's a shame that "modern" (really, from SNES and onwards mostly) console RPGs suffer this problem. I know Final Fantasy and Dragon Warrior/Quest, status effects were king later on in those games, and mandatory in Dragon Quests case.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Kurui Reiten posted:

Though one of the biggest problems with the idea of "you have these skills too" is that, sadly, a lot of games do that, with one big difference: They don't work on enemies that matter. Other games teach you "sure, you have these debuffs and status effects, but when the bosses come, they're meaningless, and normal enemies are more easily dealt with via punching". So, when people who aren't used to SMT games come to Matador, they see a standard boss compliment of powerful buffs and debuffs, and they figure "well, that poo poo won't work on him, because boss".

It's a mindset that has to be broken before you can really get into SMT games, otherwise they feel hard as poo poo because you've been conditioned to ignore all those options you're given.
Hell, even with normal enemies you have to break that habit. The Persona games have a proud tradition of hard enemies with no apparent weaknesses that are actually weak to status effects.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Yeah, I've noticed that Megaten games do have early spikes, then the chill out for a bit afterwards. Shadow Yukiko in Persona 4 was really hard, and she's only the third dungeon, and the first complete one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Randalor posted:

It's a shame that "modern" (really, from SNES and onwards mostly) console RPGs suffer this problem. I know Final Fantasy and Dragon Warrior/Quest, status effects were king later on in those games, and mandatory in Dragon Quests case.

It's not really the case in Final Fantasy games. Most bosses have some vulnerability to status effects that is very useful.

The biggest problem is that most of them are easy enough that you don't need to.

• Locked thread