Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

It would be like a Sam's Choice Mad Max. Are you guys saying we don't need more Mad Max style movies?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

ruddiger posted:

Beast Machines and the Japanese Robots in Disguise line already had great dragons and demon transformers, how did they gently caress this up this badly?
Presumably when someone said "I think this badass multidragon combiner should be called... INFERNOCUS"

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Phylodox posted:

The guys at Gearbox?

I'm actually surprised Gearbox hasn't gone broke yet. Other than Borderlands they have some seriously embarrassing bombs.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Barudak posted:

Oh neat, Duke Nukem can get trapped in a new kind of development hell.

I hope he does. Duke Nukem Forever was like being shat directly in your mouth.

I assume, of course.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Thundercracker posted:

I'm actually surprised Gearbox hasn't gone broke yet. Other than Borderlands they have some seriously embarrassing bombs.

Have they actually made anything for a while?

I'm surprised Aliens: Colonial Marines didn't tank them

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Duke Nukem is a weird choice for a movie seeing as he has no real character except stealing lines from other movies.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

A bad Ash cosplayer disrespects women and shoots people with a $200 million budget, then after the credits Johnny Borderlands shows up (can you tell I've never played Borderlands?)

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

Iron Crowned posted:

Have they actually made anything for a while?

Battleborne, which may or may not be good, but no one will ever know because it got steamrolled by Overwatch.

Like marketing 101 should be "Don't release an incredibly similar game to one Blizzard is also releasing at the exact same time."

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
Battleborne got utterly shat on, you can buy new copies for £4.50 or £1 used on Amazon, I don't think I've ever seen a game tank that hard that fast

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Iron Crowned posted:

They survived Colonial Marines because they barely spent any money on it -- they took all the money Sega kept paying them and used it to finance Borderlands 2's development, while offloading Colonial Marines to TimeGate (all the while telling Sega, "Yeah, it's going great! We can't wait to show you the next build!"). And, of course, TimeGate had to close its doors almost immediately after Colonial Marines tanked, because they used all their cash to make the game.

Gearbox also made a pretty decent chunk of change from the Homeworld re-releases and that Deserts of Whatever spin-off from a few years ago.

They're an impressively scummy company.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Their most recent thing was actually a re-release of Bulletstorm in which they shoehorned in a mode where you play as Duke Nukem but nothing else changes.

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax

muscles like this! posted:

Their most recent thing was actually a re-release of Bulletstorm in which they shoehorned in a mode where you play as Duke Nukem but nothing else changes.

And asked full price for the privilege

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Borderlands 1 & 2 both are riddled with flaws they could've easily avoided. It's like they barely playtested them. 20 minute opening scene that's unskippable in a game designed to be replayed? Seriously?

About to see The Mummy now, keen to see if it matches what I'm expecting

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Tars Tarkas posted:

I guess there is a Duke Nukem/Borderlands cinematic universe coming from Gearbox Software?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5SqEFk7qjs

Neveldine/Taylor for Duke Nukem or bust.

Len posted:

It would be like a Sam's Choice Mad Max. Are you guys saying we don't need more Mad Max style movies?

It'd be like poisoned Sam's Choice Mad Max. I guarantee they won't get a director that can shoot anything better than serviceable action scenes, and the writing will be so awful.

Tars Tarkas posted:

A bad Ash cosplayer disrespects women and shoots people with a $200 million budget, then after the credits Johnny Borderlands shows up (can you tell I've never played Borderlands?)

Duke gets on a spaceship and blasts off for Borderlands planet Pandora, and is only stopped when he gets a C&D from James Cameron.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice
In the year 2017 I can't decide whether Duke Nukem is completely irrelevant or extremely relevant.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Halo PC is the only good thing Gearbox has ever done, and even then all they did was add a bunch of maps and the rocket 'Hog. gently caress Borderlands, I can't imagine how irritating Claptrap hijinx would be for two solid hours.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Gearbox also did the excellent Opposing Force expansion pack and the decent Blue Shift expansion pack, both for the original Half-Life.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Homeworld Remastered came out pretty nice, the multiplayer balance patch trainwreck notwithstanding. Deserts of Kharak too even though multiplayer was DOA.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice
A Duke Nukem movie should just rip off Jay ans Silent Bob: Duke arrives back on earth after the events of DNF. Finds out Trump is president and gets pissed he ripped off his shtick to get elected. Rest of the movie is him road tripping to DC to demand a cut of the action.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Thundercracker posted:

In the year 2017 I can't decide whether Duke Nukem is completely irrelevant or extremely relevant.

His relevance is irrelevant, but his irrelevance...is relevant.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

basic hitler posted:

people really do like borderlands

They liked Borderlands. Not present tense, past tense.

Pre-Sequel, the DNF and Colonial Marines and Bulletstorm debacles, and Pitchford just generally being one of the worst people in gaming have all pretty much turned everyone against the series and Gearbox as a whole. I legit don't think I've met a Borderlands fan in a good long while.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Halo PC is the only good thing Gearbox has ever done

The old Brothers in Arms games were pretty solid.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I enjoyed playing Boarderlands 2 with goons a few years back, but it certainly wasn't a game that I would run out and buy another sequel to unless I knew several people who were also going to

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
Wait, what's the Bulletstorm debacle? Is it just that it's $60 for a re-release? Because Bulletstorm rules and is absolutely worth that price, and it's not like anyone bought it the first time around anyway.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I legit don't think I've met a Borderlands fan in a good long while.

One of my buddies probably puts ~5-10 hours a weeks into Borderlands 2. He's replayed it countless times and he does it with a group of 4-5 other guys who are still obsessed with the game.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Shoombo posted:

Wait, what's the Bulletstorm debacle? Is it just that it's $60 for a re-release? Because Bulletstorm rules and is absolutely worth that price, and it's not like anyone bought it the first time around anyway.

It was a $60 re-release with literally nothing new except the Duke campaign (which is incredibly lazy and lovely) and they left people who did buy it the first time (cough) completely out in the cold. I don't think you even get a discount for owning the original.

What really twists the knife is, last I checked, the original is unplayable on PC due to GFWL going down.

(Also, the original Bulletstorm went on steam sale for like $5 very very often, you'd be surprised how many people bought it.)

e: To compare to other similar re-releases, the Bioshock Remastered games show up in your library for free without even an opt-in if you own the originals, and ditto Skyrim Special Edition.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jun 15, 2017

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Big Mean Jerk posted:

One of my buddies probably puts ~5-10 hours a weeks into Borderlands 2. He's replayed it countless times and he does it with a group of 4-5 other guys who are still obsessed with the game.

I've never understood how people can just do that with any kind of rail shooter. Like it's one thing to play it twice to find things you missed, or once a year or so, but when that's all you do it's just :psyduck: to me, like don't you people enjoy anything else?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Iron Crowned posted:

I've never understood how people can just do that with any kind of rail shooter. Like it's one thing to play it twice to find things you missed, or once a year or so, but when that's all you do it's just :psyduck: to me, like don't you people enjoy anything else?

Borderlands isn't a rail shooter, it's a first-person Diablolike pretty much.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Shoombo posted:

Bulletstorm is a great great great game and I'm glad more people will have a chance to play it now even if it's a bit steep to be charging $59.99 for it, that price will change fast.

There were three things that annoyed people about the release, in order from least to most severe:

1) It was released for $59.99 when it's an HD port of a six year old game.

2) The hyped new addition of playing as Duke Nukem ended up being $5 DLC on top of dropping $60 on an old game and its literally just a Duke Nukem character model in the regular single player game.

3) Gearbox partnered with G2A to distribute some special versions of the game which is basically a big scam website. It's a site that sells discounted keys for games that are discounted because they're pirated/fraudulently obtained from people scamming gift cards and stuff. Gearbox was somehow not aware of this when they partnered with them.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Borderlands isn't a rail shooter, it's a first-person Diablolike pretty much.

Eh, it's very linear, you just get randomized items. My point was more about obsessively just playing the same games over and over and over

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Iron Crowned posted:

I can almost understand it because of the randomized loot and the huge number of add-ons and DLC, but BL2 is not a game that deserves dozens of hours of replay. It's boring as poo poo.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

They liked Borderlands. Not present tense, past tense.

Pre-Sequel, the DNF and Colonial Marines and Bulletstorm debacles, and Pitchford just generally being one of the worst people in gaming have all pretty much turned everyone against the series and Gearbox as a whole. I legit don't think I've met a Borderlands fan in a good long while.

What happened with the Pre-Sequel? Was it worse than the original two games?

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I can almost understand it because of the randomized loot and the huge number of add-ons and DLC, but BL2 is not a game that deserves dozens of hours of replay. It's boring as poo poo.

Watching the numbers go up is fun, but the gunplay's just functional and the writing is agonizing. The funniest part of Borderlands 2 was the writer acknowledging that Tiny Tina was a racist character, then framing a tweet from Feminist Frequency that recognized his realization.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

Eh, it's very linear, you just get randomized items. My point was more about obsessively just playing the same games over and over and over

eh when you have a steady group it's a fun way to kill time, drink, and hang with people you know.

I didn't replay it a ton, but had a few guys I played with regularly and it made the game way better in almost every way. Then item injectors came out and dungeon crawling became unnecessary and it was just a "load up for 15 minutes and kill a boss for fun" game.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Watching the numbers go up is fun, but the gunplay's just functional and the writing is agonizing. The funniest part of Borderlands 2 was the writer acknowledging that Tiny Tina was a racist character, then framing a tweet from Feminist Frequency that recognized his realization.

it's been forever since i played, why was tt racist? i found her pretty annoying after her first intro.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Borderlands co-op is really stupid fun. If you have a dedicated group to play it yeah I can see why you could go forever.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

X-Ray Pecs posted:

from what I'm aware, jesus christ yes

quote:

Anthony Burch is a good dude and I'm glad he got the gently caress away from Gearbox

that said the whole Tiny Tina being racist thing always kind of threw me off, like I was too busy wanting the character to die painfully and horribly to even notice that she was using AAVE honestly

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

MacheteZombie posted:

it's been forever since i played, why was tt racist? i found her pretty annoying after her first intro.

She's a white character written by a white guy to sound like a Black character. She's loving terrible.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

X-Ray Pecs posted:

She's a white character written by a white guy to sound like a Black character. She's loving terrible.

i just remember her spouting memes off nonstop. was not a good character.

Mr. Torgue was cool tho from what i remember

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

MacheteZombie posted:

i just remember her spouting memes off nonstop. was not a good character.

Mr. Torgue was cool tho from what i remember

Borderlands characters are either obnoxious or boring, there is no middle ground. A BL movie would be Suicide Squad with more memes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

A BL movie would be Suicide Squad with more memes.

no ty

• Locked thread