Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

FizFashizzle posted:

uh trump just said "I feel like Steve has made a great sacrifice..."

thats ominous

Uh Trump uses great to mean good, so it was probably some primo human sacrifice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

evilweasel posted:

hopefully in 2020

I don't know. I'm a little worried about GOP replacing Trump on the ticket with someone who hasn't spent the last four years making GBS threads the bed.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Ogmius815 posted:

I don't know. I'm a little worried about GOP replacing Trump on the ticket with someone who hasn't spent the last four years making GBS threads the bed.

no president has ever won re-election who faced a primary challenge, i believe

and there's no way trumpkins would meekly accept their fuehrer being toppled in a primary

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

evilweasel posted:

and there's no way trumpkins would meekly accept their fuehrer being toppled in a primary

past performance etc

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

evilweasel posted:

There's only been 59 presidential elections total. And only like 20 of those have happened in anything that even remotely resembles the current political environment. It's not a lot of data to draw conclusions from.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Eltoasto posted:

It's a very odd situation with Turkey in NATO but neighbors and now Dictator Bros with Russia. Do you see them leaving NATO at some point?

Nah. Turkey has no reason to leave NATO. And the countries have a lot of bad history -- Ottoman Empire fought the Russian empire very frequently.

Now, if Erdogan starts becoming closer with Putin that would be a cause for concern. But after recent events (Turks shooting down a Russian plane over contested air space, and Russian ambassador to Turkey being shot and killed at a gala) this is rather unlikely.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

quote:

Rep. Scalise Wrote Constitutional Amendment to "Protect" Marriage Saved by Same Sex Married L.E.O. Crystal Griner

Scalise-

Authored constitutional amendment to protect marriage. (May 2008)
Voted NO on reauthorizing the Violence Against Women Act. (Feb 2013)
Amend Constitution to define traditional marriage. (Jun 2008)
Protect anti-same-sex marriage opinions as free speech. (Sep 2013)
State definition of marriage supersedes federal gay marriage. (Feb 2014)

https://twitter.com/marygeorgant/status/875433751098134528
https://twitter.com/JennaMC_Laugh/status/875433097847820288
https://twitter.com/SherylNYT/status/875429682400952321
https://twitter.com/thedailybeast/status/875430042662305795
https://twitter.com/Scout_Finch/status/875427632741044224
https://twitter.com/HallieJackson/status/875412225695117312
https://twitter.com/markfollman/status/875430778485710849
https://twitter.com/dellcam/status/875424752613150720
https://twitter.com/aravosis/status/875433386483097602
https://twitter.com/aravosis/status/875433809809944577
https://twitter.com/aravosis/status/875434468139577345

and a bit of comedy:
https://twitter.com/commiesona/status/875376583682523137

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jun 15, 2017

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

enraged_camel posted:

This is CEOs, so it's really 0.01%ers

It was a joke that only 1% of CEOs gave him an A

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

:smith:

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

evilweasel posted:

Depends how you define "serious" primary challenger.

Eisenhower and Nixon were both primaried and lost at least one state. That was also before the "modern" primary.

Bill Clinton was primaried by Lyndon LaRouche (lol) and actually lost North Dakota to LaRouche.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

PT6A posted:

No, rats are much better because they don't jump out in front of cars and wreck them. Do not besmirch the good name of a rat by comparing it to a deer.

Can we compare it to a man-eating giant Texas wild pig? :v:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

The Warmbier thing gives me the loving heebie jeebies. I would support loving up North Korea just for that.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Pollyanna posted:

The Warmbier thing gives me the loving heebie jeebies. I would support loving up North Korea just for that.

I would really prefer to not stick our collective dick in the hornet's nest this time

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Pollyanna posted:

i want to sympathize with the guy but if you're dumb enough to go to a totalitarian shithole as a tourist, do not break the law while you're there

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Pollyanna posted:

I need to know who he and his parents supported/voted for before I spend any of my very limited sympathy.

boner confessor posted:

i want to sympathize with the guy but if you're dumb enough to go to a totalitarian shithole as a tourist, do not break the law while you're there

This too, amazingly white privilege doesn't work everywhere.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

The Glumslinger posted:

I would really prefer to not stick our collective dick in the hornet's nest this time

I mean, would, not should. Anyone who's looking to me for good policy opinions is an idiot.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
The Idiot has spoken again:
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/875438639823675392

quote:

realDonaldTrump: Why is that Hillary Clintons family and Dems dealings with Russia are not looked at, but my non-dealings are?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Pollyanna posted:

It makes that jingoistic devil on my shoulder start shouting about dropping precision ordnance in the middle of a courtyard at one of his homes just to remind the Kims that we can. That's the kind of dumb citizen poo poo I used to assume the government was capable of filtering out.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Pollyanna posted:

It's hell on earth. The Warmbier thing would be pretty typical I guess. Place is full of concentration camps.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Pollyanna posted:

Let's invade some prisons and jails at home first.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

:lol:

Man, this guy

This loving guy

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

You know that "non-" was the last thing he added

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

boner confessor posted:

While the dude certainly made a bone headed mistake, l I don't think 15 years of hard labor is a reasonable punishment for petty theft in any country; let alone clinical brain death.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Depends how you define "serious" primary challenger.

Eisenhower and Nixon were both primaried and lost at least one state. That was also before the "modern" primary.

Bill Clinton was primaried by Lyndon LaRouche (lol) and actually lost North Dakota to LaRouche.

Yup. A convicted felon serving 17 years won 40% of the West Virginia primary against Obama in 2012.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

boner confessor posted:

He might not have even done anything. It's possible the north Koreans just wanted to gently caress with America. He was detained around the same time the U.S. was imposing new sanctions. No American should go to NK without diplomatic immunity.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
Doesn't a non-deal imply he just talked to a bunch of russians and it was all very friendly w/o actually making deals

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

stillvisions posted:

1) Taunt special prosecutor
2) Demand special prosecutor recuse himself because he doesn't like you after all the nasty things you've said

"What are you gonna do, investigate me for obstruction?" - Man Investigated for Obstruction

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Ogmius815 posted:

He might not have even done anything. It's possible the north Koreans just wanted to gently caress with America. He was detained around the same time the U.S. was imposing new sanctions. No American should go to NK without diplomatic immunity.

This should destroy their "edgy" little tourist industry.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Danger posted:

While the dude certainly made a bone headed mistake, l I don't think 15 years of hard labor is a reasonable punishment for petty theft in any country; let alone clinical brain death.

i agree, which is why if i ever find myself in the unfortunate situation of being in north korea i will make sure i do not engage in anything that remotely resembles petty theft

we can talk about how unreasonable it is for a totalitarian shithole to throw small time criminals in an awful gulag but none of that actually matters with regards to "don't go to north korea, and if you do, for fucks sake do not break the law"

Ogmius815 posted:

north korea values their tourism industry more than they value nabbing rando citizens. they're a horrible stalinist state but not evil, crazy, or stupid

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar

I don't understand what happened here. Would someone mind explaining it?

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
What did they even do to Warmbier? I don't understand.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Michael Scott posted:

We will probably never find out, but "beat into a coma" seems a fair bet.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

JohnCompany posted:

Yup. A convicted felon serving 17 years won 40% of the West Virginia primary against Obama in 2012.

I don't think that guy ran in any state other than West Virginia, though.

LaRouche did actually run a "real" primary against Clinton in 1996.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

Just went to Cuba in April. Good thing I did I guess. Besides as another "gently caress Obama" move and Fidel being virulently anti-American (he's dead anyway), why again?

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

BarbarianElephant posted:

We will probably never find out, but "beat into a coma" seems a fair bet.

But physically he looks reasonably normal, which is why it's confusing. The only quote from the US hospital cites a 'neurological injury'

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Sloober posted:

Doesn't a non-deal imply he just talked to a bunch of russians and it was all very friendly w/o actually making deals

Reminder that the Miss Universe pageant was hosted in Russia in 2013 and a large amount of the Trump Solo article from 1997 details his efforts to get involved in Russia.
http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/1997/05/19/trump-solo

Which gave us this amazing close:

quote:

I think I did: the only apartment with a better view than the best apartment in the world was the same apartment. Except for the one across the Park, which had the most spectacular living room in the world. No one had ever seen a granite house before. And, most important, every square inch belonged to Trump, who had aspired to and achieved the ultimate luxury, an existence unmolested by the rumbling of a soul. “Trump”—a fellow with universal recognition but with a suspicion that an interior life was an intolerable inconvenience, a creature everywhere and nowhere, uniquely capable of inhabiting it all at once, all alone.

Kramdar posted:

I don't understand what happened here. Would someone mind explaining it?

Twitter, instead of cracking down on the thousands of jihadists using the platform to spread their message or neonazis sending threats; decided to change profile portraits to be circles instead of squares.

Priorities, you see.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

zenguitarman posted:

Just went to Cuba in April. Good thing I did I guess. Besides as another "gently caress Obama" move and Fidel being virulently anti-American (he's dead anyway), why again?

You answered your own question.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Michael Scott posted:

Kept him in a lovely prison and he contracted botulism, which is a disease that can only be acquired through bacterial infections or injection.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
isn't part of the thrill of going to north korea in the first place the constant low level danger that comes from it being an oppressive orwellian junta? you can't really get that danger tourism experience anywhere else since the collapse of communism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

Michael Scott posted:

I'm not sure it's definitely know. From differing reports I've put together that he contracted botulism almost immediately and then overdosed on sleeping pills.

• Locked thread