Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Can anyone remind me how you turn off Do Not Disturb syncing across phone and watch? I'm pretty sure I turned that on somewhere but I can't remember where.

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Can anyone remind me how you turn off Do Not Disturb syncing across phone and watch? I'm pretty sure I turned that on somewhere but I can't remember where.

Thanks!

Watch app -> General -> Do Not Disturb -> Uncheck "Mirror iPhone"

Violator
May 15, 2003

I feel like the Series 0 went 18+ months before an update because (a) it was new, (b) relatively expensive for the higher end models, and (c) they were still trying to figure out what the product was. The initial experience was so slow that I think they felt like they had to make things right for existing customers before pushing out updates. I think they're generally going to be doing yearly updates on it moving forward so they can continually push new features. It's in the same price range as the iPod and I think that's generally how you can view this product's update cycles.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Endless Mike posted:

Watch app -> General -> Do Not Disturb -> Uncheck "Mirror iPhone"

shootforit
Oct 11, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

That's a good point too.

My only thing is that it feels like the battery on my series 0 isn't lasting nearly as long. I am really just hoping it lasts long enough for the series 3 to come out.

I was coming here to post the exact opposite!

I have a series 0, and I've noticed the past month or so my battery life has been kicking copious amounts of rear end.

Usually I'd get home from work and have maybe 30% left, but now it's been about 70%.

Maybe I've managed to dial in the settings and notifications in just right after a year or so to make it last longer. I think the last software update helped. Is your watch updated?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Having owned the watch for exactly a week I have had such vastly different battery experiences that I really don't know what to expect.

My thought is that I only got about 10 hours on Day 2 because I was on a road trip through North Eastern Arizona and spent several hours in areas with no internet which sometimes fucks with things.

Other days I've had 70% after wearing the watch like 18 hours. I also updated the OS and maybe the box OS wasn't as efficient with battery.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The first couple days when new/after an update are pretty bad in my experience. 70% after 18 hours is pretty normal, though.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

My series 0 was getting really poo poo battery life and not lasting the whole day until the last update fixed it. Now it's just a little worse than it was when new.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah it's been really bad lately for me.

It's been 15 hours off the dock and I'm sitting at 6%. I didn't even get very many notifications today and I didn't track any workouts. Maybe I'll have to do a wipe and restore and see if that fixes it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

If your iPhone is set to Do Not Disturb will calls still come through on the watch?

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
Is there a way to disable GPS on the Series 2? I don't need it, I only upgraded to the Series 2 for the superior battery life, but it's draining in about 1.25-1.5 days. That's only a marginal improvement over my Series 0 (with the bigger face, I hosed up and got the 38mm on the S2).

I feel like my S0 has gotten better and better with the battery life, but the S2 is getting worse and worse.

jawbroken
Aug 13, 2007

messmate king
GPS is only enabled if the phone is out of range and you're doing a workout or maps, otherwise it just uses the phone's GPS.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Leif. posted:

:words:

I feel like my S0 has gotten better and better with the battery life, but the S2 is getting worse and worse.

jawbroken posted:

GPS is only enabled if the phone is out of range and you're doing a workout or maps, otherwise it just uses the phone's GPS.

How long ago did you get it? Keep in mind that if you just got it, you're probably messing with it a lot more than you will once you've had it a bit.

After I settled down messing with it, mine is generally at 70-80% at the end of the day after a full charge. When I first got it, it was regularly at 40% by end of day because I was loving with it.

That said, I charge mine nightly so it's never been a big deal.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Why is that Spotify Snowy app taking so long :argh:

Please say Spotify didn't buy it just to ignore it

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Dugong posted:

Why is that Spotify Snowy app taking so long :argh:

Please say Spotify didn't buy it just to ignore it

They need to vet the code of the entire app and add whatever features they want.

And honestly it's probably not much of a priority, it's not like we're a big demographic.

My stance is that we're lucky to get it at all. Spotify didn't give a flying gently caress about a watch app until a near-completed one almost literally fell in their lap.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

I managed to scratch the ever living poo poo out of the face of my S0 Apple Watch. Anyone have any idea how much a repair costs, or anything I can do on my own to repair? They're more than just superficial scratches.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
If its a sport, its $199 to replace, if its aluminum, its $249.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Biodome posted:

Sports *are* aluminum

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Biodome posted:

Still? I'm sure you could just buy a new series 0 at that price?:lol:

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I can see why they wouldn't want to make it cheaper to replace a product they no longer sell.

Possibly related, Best Buy has S2s on sale his week for $70 off, so they're only $30 more than an S1.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

I will take this opportunity to plug the Space Black with sapphire, aka the "still looks mint after 2 years of hitting it on poo poo" watch.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Ugh, ffs. I'll just keep it with the gouges until they make some significant upgrades.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Biodome posted:

And FYI, Apple has been substituting S1 watches as replacements for S0 (at least at my store, we've seen it happen 5-6 times in the past two weeks) so you could look at it as saving $50-$100 on the S1 watch.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

Endless Mike posted:

Sports *are* aluminum

Whoops, meant the stainless steel one.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Taima posted:

I will take this opportunity to plug the Space Black with sapphire, aka the "still looks mint after 2 years of hitting it on poo poo" watch.

Space black superiority! Can also attest that my SBSS S2 is *flawless* on the screen, body and SB link band. And I mean flawless like I could clean it up and put it in the original box and you wouldn't be able to tell that it wasn't brand new.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Eh, same with my 21-month-old Sport. It's held up a whole lot better than I expected.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Mine's taken a shitload of abuse. I'm not actually sure which bump scratched it because I stopped checking it after I bump things.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

empty baggie posted:

And FYI, Apple has been substituting S1 watches as replacements for S0 (at least at my store, we've seen it happen 5-6 times in the past two weeks) so you could look at it as saving $50-$100 on the S1 watch.
How about S0 steel ones?

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

japtor posted:

How about S0 steel ones?
EDIT: swapped a S0 steel model today, and the customer got another S0 steel model, so they are not bumping those up at this time.
Not sure. The ones I've seen lately have all been Sport models, but I don't see why they wouldn't include the steel ones too.

empty baggie fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jul 14, 2017

shootforit
Oct 11, 2006

Trip report: A Mr. Clean Magic Eraser brought my dingy white nylon band back to factory brilliance. 10/10 would clean again.

Thank you for listening.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Superman Don't Need No Seat Belt
Where can I go in settings to modify the default quick responses my watch provides for text messages?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Alfalfa posted:

Where can I go in settings to modify the default quick responses my watch provides for text messages?
On iPhone :
Watch-> Messages -> Default Replies

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Eh, same with my 21-month-old Sport. It's held up a whole lot better than I expected.

The Sport scratches easily, that's just the reality of the situation. If yours is mint after 21 months that says a lot more about your level of activity than it does the watch durability.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Lol. Yeah ok, champ.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Taima posted:

The Sport scratches easily, that's just the reality of the situation. If yours is mint after 21 months that says a lot more about your level of activity than it does the watch durability.

Not really. I've had a Sport S0 since about 3-4 months after it was first released; after over 4,400 miles of running and various instances when I thought I'd scratch the watch, the ONLY scratches actually came from taking a complete faceplant onto concrete during a drunken sprint.

Apple made this thing pretty well.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

My stainless S2 looks beat to poo poo. I don't even know where some of the scrapes and such came from.

Screen is pristine, though. Sapphire is great!

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Agronox posted:

Not really. I've had a Sport S0 since about 3-4 months after it was first released; after over 4,400 miles of running and various instances when I thought I'd scratch the watch, the ONLY scratches actually came from taking a complete faceplant onto concrete during a drunken sprint.

Apple made this thing pretty well.

Wait so just so we're on the same page here, your screen is pristine except one time when you faceplanted... onto concrete...? And you have the sport watch?

In any case you make a good point which is that the type of activity matters, running is probably not hard on the watch at all. I was thinking more like outdoor sports with dirt involved, or the beach etc.

Endless Mike posted:

My stainless S2 looks beat to poo poo. I don't even know where some of the scrapes and such came from.

Screen is pristine, though. Sapphire is great!

Yeaaa the stainless does not age well if you're trying to avoid scratches but some people enjoy the wear pattern as a kind of unique patina. I can see that.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Taima posted:

Wait so just so we're on the same page here, your screen is pristine except one time when you faceplanted... onto concrete...? And you have the sport watch?

In any case you make a good point which is that the type of activity matters, running is probably not hard on the watch at all. I was thinking more like outdoor sports with dirt involved, or the beach etc.

Yeaaa the stainless does not age well if you're trying to avoid scratches but some people enjoy the wear pattern as a kind of unique patina. I can see that.

Yeah my launch week S0 screen is nearly flawless besides a few light scratches that can only be seen under the right light.

I've worn it every day and lift weights with it on 4+ days a week. I also don't work an office job so I'm out and about with it all day as well. It's held up pretty amazing.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

I sort of regret getting the Nike Watch because the good strap options are so limited. Then again, I'm saving money by not buying extra straps :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Dugong posted:

I sort of regret getting the Nike Watch because the good strap options are so limited. Then again, I'm saving money by not buying extra straps :shrug:

You can get a pile of Sport bands on AliExpress for fast food money. They take like a month to arrive, so I forget and it's like I'm my own Secret Santa.

• Locked thread