Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

people just can't handle that capcom is Really Bad now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Zand posted:

you're right. capcom would never pay out fgc members for their support for marketing

oh wait what exactly is capcup and eleague
or mopreme and kamui for sf 15th anniv marketing a decade ago
or mr wizard for cfe around the same time
or buktooth for mvc3
or s kill for sfxt
or combofiend for mvci

nah that's not part of a pattern or anything, it's a conspiracy to suggest capcom markets their games using fgc member credibility

Holy poo poo a company engages with the community, how dare they. The graphics look a bit poo poo in the promo art and some cutscenes (seems pretty much entirely bad lighting rather than fundamental issues), we best get on the train calling the entire game a poo poo scam to steal our money before we even play it.

At best Justin/Champ/Kbrad/etc got tickets and travel/accommodation, it's a free trip, not working. If you're working at a public event representing your company, you have to constantly be on the ball making sure you don't say the wrong thing, offend somebody or perhaps portray the product in a negative light because your livelyhood depends on your wage.

It's most likely even worse for Combofiend as he's been friendly, or even worse unfriendly, with those attending for years. It's like having to work the bar at a party for all your friends, while they enjoy themselves you are stood there jobbing it.

Unconstructively making GBS threads on something is never going to give you an improved end product or future product, it's just going to make people stop listening.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

DLC Inc posted:

people just can't handle that capcom is Really Bad now

:megaman: i've known that for a while thanks :megaman:

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

Fellblade posted:

Unconstructively making GBS threads on something is never going to give you an improved end product or future product, it's just going to make people stop listening.

people constructively shat on sf4 and umvc3 for years and years, we still got SFV and MvC:I

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Zand posted:

you have the weirdest axe to grind

Naaaaah, just someone gotta give you poo poo every once in a while. I mean, you do realize people literally being hired to do poo poo for a company and paid shilling are two different things, right? You do get that very basic aspect of marketing down?

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
gently caress, they gave Max a preview copy of the demo before E3, which I haven't seen anybody else doing, and his reaction is 'not really impressed'.

poo poo, he's on the payroll it must be reverse psychology!

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

Fellblade posted:

Holy poo poo a company engages with the community, how dare they. The graphics look a bit poo poo in the promo art and some cutscenes (seems pretty much entirely bad lighting rather than fundamental issues), we best get on the train calling the entire game a poo poo scam to steal our money before we even play it.

At best Justin/Champ/Kbrad/etc got tickets and travel/accommodation, it's a free trip, not working. If you're working at a public event representing your company, you have to constantly be on the ball making sure you don't say the wrong thing, offend somebody or perhaps portray the product in a negative light because your livelyhood depends on your wage.

It's most likely even worse for Combofiend as he's been friendly, or even worse unfriendly, with those attending for years. It's like having to work the bar at a party for all your friends, while they enjoy themselves you are stood there jobbing it.

eat my rear end

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
Max doesn't have to shill beyond "pretending to be hype to entertain his teenage audience," fighting game devs will give him whatever he wants because he's the biggest fighting game centric internet personality there is.

He's literally more trustworthy than any Top Player who has been featured on ESL.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Fellblade posted:

Holy poo poo a company engages with the community, how dare they.

Literally this.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Fellblade posted:

lol well then I hope capcom is getting used to making below their projections, like SFV.

bitching about problems usually fixes them when it comes to games that have a bad launch or something. NRS changed a fuckton of animation and facial constructions for Injustice 2, and even changed things like Batman's stance or Mr. Freeze's headgear when people complained. So yes it actually does work but that also requires a developer that's competent.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

Fellblade posted:

Holy poo poo a company engages with the community, how dare they.

when did I say it's bad for them to do? I was only saying it's weird to think that believing they do this is a conspiracy.

I just said that's what they did and all it means is you have to take sponsored opinions with a grain of salt

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

dangerdoom volvo posted:

eat my rear end

PHEW, nice to know im not the only loving moron in this thread!

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Zand posted:

when did I say it's bad for them to do? I was only saying it's weird to think that believing they do this is a conspiracy.

I just said that's what they did and all it means is you have to take sponsored opinions with a grain of salt

There's no conspiracy because everybody with a brain understands what is happening, reacting like it's some big secret is what makes you seem like a conspiracy loon. Along with stuff like:

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

Max doesn't have to shill beyond "pretending to be hype to entertain his teenage audience," fighting game devs will give him whatever he wants because he's the biggest fighting game centric internet personality there is.

He's literally more trustworthy than any Top Player who has been featured on ESL.

Of course it doesn't apply to him because *made up reasons that definitely don't apply to people who say anything positive*. Like Justin totally needs Capcom to invite him to E3 or he will become irrelevant.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
cosmic brain over here

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
surprisingly the fighting game community does not consist of 5 people who are constantly given preferential treatment

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

Fellblade posted:

Like Justin totally needs Capcom to invite him to E3 or he will become irrelevant.

Justin making money relies on Capcom succeeding, this isn't very hard.

Like if you think Capcom fighting games keep flopping and they shut down the Pro Tour and stop pumping money into tournaments and invitationals, Justin will remain sponsored and keep his sham job at Nvidia?

Meanwhile Max can scream over any fighting game, new or old or even just start playing different games entirely and he will get 10k viewers and make tens of thousands a month off ads and donations and subscribers.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

Fellblade posted:

There's no conspiracy because everybody with a brain understands what is happening, reacting like it's some big secret is what makes you seem like a conspiracy loon. Along with stuff like:

Of course it doesn't apply to him because *made up reasons that definitely don't apply to people who say anything positive*. Like Justin totally needs Capcom to invite him to E3 or he will become irrelevant.

I wish I could be as hype for mvci as you and cams

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Fellblade posted:

OKay, so here's the thing, I think it's stupid to equate hiring a FG guy as a consultant/combat designer to doing undisclosed promotional content on the Internet (by the way, that's illegal as poo poo). It's valid and to a certain point it's GOOD to have people that like and care about FGs working on new releases. You also shouldn't take their word at face-value because they ARE LITERALLY EMPLOYED BY THE DEVELOPER. When it comes to bringing in FG people for PR, that's a whole different ball game. Unfortunately, I do think most Capcom-heads are way overselling the game and ignoring criticism, but you ain't gonna make real cash outta that. See, I don't think those dudes are getting paid for real, I think they're doing the same song and dance they do with any semi-popular new release. You don't need to buy out people that are willing to shill for free.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

Also to be fair I think Justin is probably the least likely of them to be a shill and is probably actually genuinely enthusiastic about the game,

He's the guy who still thinks wrestling is real and John Cena is his actual hero.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Zand posted:

I wish I could be as hype for mvci as you and cams

hahahhah you spend so much time on the internet talking about games you don't like

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

I don't really understand why people would be against harming a company monetarily by spreading negative propaganda about its product to reduce sales. The product looks like poo poo, it appears to be bred from the same "double down on bad decisionmaking" design philosophy that Capcom has been notorious for in recent years, and people are mad about it. They don't want Marvel to be bad - they want Marvel to be cool and fun. What is wrong with being destructively critical of the company and its product when they don't provide the product you want? The relationship between a corporation and a customer is one based on money. If the audience doesn't like what's being put on offer - you harm the company by not spending money on it and giving them negative feedback so that they will modify what is being produced, and hopefully make something the audience DOES want the next time around.

This game isn't a labor of love, it's not an art piece or a grassroots project. It's a cash grab infused with one of the largest entertainment IPs in the world. There's nothing wrong with being a cash grab. A cash grab can be a fun game and competitively viable etc - but you shouldn't feel sympathy or pity toward it when people are being critical of it, constructive or not. Don't pity Capcom, or their decisions. Influence them by not rewarding their bad behavior with your money. Talk about your opinions on forums and use Twitter to give feedback. That's all you can really do besides not buy/buy their stuff and convince others to do the same. Just don't be surprised when people use "extreme methods" or language to influence others to buy or not buy the product. That's just how this stuff works, and it's OK

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

that's the problem when the developer of a game becomes intertwined within the community of the game, those on top of the community who stand to lose the most can weaponize the threat of its destruction if the developer doesn't do well.

it doesn't matter if the game is bad, don't criticize it and buy it anyway because we're All the FGC and Your Community could be hurt if it doesn't do well. you wouldn't want to hurt your fellow Fighting Game Community members, would you?

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

dangerdoom volvo posted:

cosmic brain over here

cams
Mar 28, 2003

pissdude posted:

I don't really understand why people would be against harming a company monetarily by spreading negative propaganda about its product to reduce sales. The product looks like poo poo, it appears to be bred from the same "double down on bad decisionmaking" design philosophy that Capcom has been notorious for in recent years, and people are mad about it. They don't want Marvel to be bad - they want Marvel to be cool and fun. What is wrong with being destructively critical of the company and its product when they don't provide the product you want? The relationship between a corporation and a customer is one based on money. If the audience doesn't like what's being put on offer - you harm the company by not spending money on it and giving them negative feedback so that they will modify what is being produced, and hopefully make something the audience DOES want the next time around.

This game isn't a labor of love, it's not an art piece or a grassroots project. It's a cash grab infused with one of the largest entertainment IPs in the world. There's nothing wrong with being a cash grab. A cash grab can be a fun game and competitively viable etc - but you shouldn't feel sympathy or pity toward it when people are being critical of it, constructive or not. Don't pity Capcom, or their decisions. Influence them by not rewarding their bad behavior with your money. Talk about your opinions on forums and use Twitter to give feedback. That's all you can really do besides not buy/buy their stuff and convince others to do the same. Just don't be surprised when people use "extreme methods" or language to influence others to buy or not buy the product. That's just how this stuff works, and it's OK

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

that's the problem when the developer of a game becomes intertwined within the community of the game, those on top of the community who stand to lose the most can weaponize the threat of its destruction if the developer doesn't do well.

it doesn't matter if the game is bad, don't criticize it and buy it anyway because we're All the FGC and Your Community could be hurt if it doesn't do well. you wouldn't want to hurt your fellow Fighting Game Community members, would you?
for real the internet was a mistake and has completely broken a generation of boys

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

in on the ground floor of another "im not mad!!!!" episode in the Puppetmaster Theater

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

cams posted:

for real the internet was a mistake and has completely broken a generation of boys

what's your stance on all this cams

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

cams posted:

yeah it's pretty sad that the internet has convinced people that corporations are their friend and Brands Are Engaging With Me In Good Will

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

nationalize fighting game development

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

as a member of The Community, i hope mvci does badly and capcom goes out of business so we're forced to embrace under night in birth

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
late stage capitalism ftw

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

It's a weird dynamic you can only get now that esports are a thing, and unfortunately that ain't going away even if you actively try to keep it grassroots. There's also that secondary layer where people that like the "bad" game feel pissed off at people that keep telling them they're putting time into something worthless, so it just generates this willingness to tune out legit criticism as even more trash talk. When that narrative is pushed by renowned players, it just adds even more white noise to the whole debacle.

A friend of mine (that doesn't even play Capcom games, he's a Melty player) was complaining about how people were really quick to poo poo on whoever liked MVCI with DBFZ comparisons, and we had a quick back and forth about how Capcom kinda deserved to eat poo poo for their laziness. He finished it off by saying there's a lot of dudes that put so much time and effort into Capcom franchises that they just don't wanna see them get away, and they'll go in very hard on anyone talking poo poo about them. I feel like that's true, and in the end the FGC is still a bunch of fanboys trying to defend their favorites games, y'know.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Endorph posted:

as a member of The Community, i hope mvci does badly and capcom goes out of business so we're forced to embrace under night in birth

have they said a drat thing about localizing recent versions

cams
Mar 28, 2003

pissdude posted:

what's your stance on all this cams
my position is that it is toys. buy them or don't, basing your identity around being part of a club who go on an internet forum and get in slapfights about how a video game is objectively bad is, and i mean this, sad. very very sad to me. tbh i like that at least you were honest about the culty echochamber poo poo that people are doing. if you believe yourself to be some warrior in a video game war, go nuts. we all have our delusions that keep us going.

but i am the odd one out here so i try not to read these threads too much because they contain very, very little of value. tabs is actually funny and jmcrofts and sn64 do legitimately good work when new games come out.

i love fighting games so i will buy this fighting game and play it and probably enjoy it a ton.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Countblanc posted:

have they said a drat thing about localizing recent versions

the most recent console version of uniel is the one they localized. latest was in arcades for like 70 years. it's coming out on consoles in july. we'll probably hear rumblings about localization here in a couple months.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
Oh poo poo I agreed with cams time to check out.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

yeah it's pretty sad that the internet has convinced people that corporations are their friend and Brands Are Engaging With Me In Good Will
people thinking that "video games" is the battle worth fighting is the problem. you guys are literally video game activists.

defective human beings

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

cams posted:

people thinking that "video games" is the battle worth fighting is the problem. you guys are literally video game activists.

defective human beings
don't sign your posts

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

cams posted:

defective human beings

Is the same guy who literally made fun of new players trying to figure out mvc3 in the goonsgarden irc while drunk?

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

cams posted:

defective human beings

nobody does this.

you are the dumbest fucker in all of games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Captain Baal posted:

Is the same guy who literally made fun of new players trying to figure out mvc3 in the goonsgarden irc while drunk?
i have no memory of this but probably, i was drunk 24/7 for a couple years there.

• Locked thread