Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

the current long odds against non cavs/warriors teams winning is gonna make the grit and grind dynasty even better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

ex post facho posted:

the nba could eliminate:

The Warriors would absolutely have been on that list 5 years ago. No way you would have included OKC as early as last year. You don't list the Clippers on there because of the recency bias. This list would be way different every year, which means it makes sense to have more teams to go through these cycles.

Plus, if you had less teams, you'd have less opportunities for guys to develop and end up with less talent.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Paul Zuvella posted:

THEN YOU SHOULD LOVE THE NBA RIGHT NOW WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU.

mostly just that there'd be definite years where neither of those teams were in/made the conferencef/finals simply because they were facing more difficult competition

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

ex post facho posted:

i meant in terms of relegation of clearly less competitive teams to their own "G league", i mean as everyone's talking about why waste everyone's time with the facade of a competitive league when (apparently) parity isn't important in the NBA?

Who's time is being wasted? Basketball is apart of the entertainment industry. When I watch it I am entertained. I have loyalty to a team that I hope wins every single game no matter. Are there better teams? Yeah. Do I give a poo poo? No. Should you? No. Why? Because in the game of basketball poo poo happens that is completely unexpected and one injury can change everything

The NBA where amazing happens

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

ex post facho posted:

i don't think it's really shortsighted to think that wahtever team lebron and curry are on are favorites to make it to the finals for the next 5 years, or i guess until lebron finally starts breaking down, which will admittedly probably happen in the next 3 years

the nba could eliminate:

- Nuggets
- Jazz
- Suns
- Grizzlies
- Bucks
- Timberwolves
- Pistons
- Magic
- Pels
- Hornets
- Raptors
- Nets
- Pacers
- Thunder
- Kings

disperse their talent to the other 15 teams and you instantly have a better league, full of stacked teams that would produce the best most competitive basketball youve ever seen

They should eliminate all teams West of the Mississippuh like God intended when he created the NBA on the 7th day (no rest for him because God is a big baller), furthermore

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

less teams=less players=less games=less dunks

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Metapod posted:

Who's time is being wasted? Basketball is apart of the entertainment industry. When I watch it I am entertained. I have loyalty to a team that I hope wins every single game no matter. Are there better teams? Yeah. Do I give a poo poo? No. Should you? No. Why? Because in the game of basketball poo poo happens that is completely unexpected and one injury can change everything

The NBA where amazing happens

i just wish i didn't have to pin my hopes on who appears at the highest level of competiton on another team's player(s) getting injured or their body breaking down i guess

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

ex post facho posted:

drat i'd watch the poo poo out of that series

It would be like watching an American Olympic team except their opponent also belongs on the floor.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

BWV posted:

less teams=less players=less games=less dunks

this is certainly true, but can you imagine the jokic-lebron connection

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

ex post facho posted:

i just wish i didn't have to pin my hopes on who appears at the highest level of competiton on another team's player(s) getting injured or their body breaking down i guess

You don't!!!

E:

ex post facho posted:

this is certainly true, but can you imagine the jokic-lebron connection

Jokic wouldn't even gotten a chance in your scenario

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
meta of all posters i think ud feel me the most on this one esp. being kindred NW division fans

i want to believe the nuggets and the thunder have some shot and gently caress jokic and westbrook are cool and good to watch but man im alllllll outta hope that either FO can construct a team that's got any hope

i wanna be content with reg season basketball but after 48 seasons of mostly that you wanna see more than the bottom of the conference

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
steph curry has AIDS

An
Ixtremely
Deadly
Shot!

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Things change. Teams develop and regress. Players unexpectedly develop into superstars from nowhere. Injuries are a massive wildcard.

At the start of the 2014 season, the Warriors were a sixth seed who had been knocked out in the first round of the previous playoffs. They were led by Curry (whose ankles splintered every other game), Klay, (who was completely one-dimensional and literally could not make a lay-up), David Lee (the classic "mediocre guy who gets 20-10 because no one else on the team fills that role") and Andre Igoudala whose best years seemed to be behind him. Draymond Green was a chubby second round pic who got 20 minutes a game and averaged 6 points, 5 rebounds and 1.9 assists. The Warriors had just fired their coach and replaced him with a former TV analyst and front office failure who never had coached at any level. They were at essentially the same level as the Jazz or Raptors are now, and no one had any idea that team was about to go super saiyan.

The Warriors may be a dynasty for the next few years or it may all go to poo poo for them and we will all wonder what happened.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

if the warriors fall apart ill know its cause i was rude to them on these forums

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

If you cut the league in half Draymond Green wouldn't even have been drafted :thunk:

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
Reduce the number of NBA teams while increasing D-league teams. This improves both the quality of pro play, increases the development of players, and gives more stratas of income an opportunity to see basketball.

Half of the teams of ex post facho's list could be development-level teams already. Stop wasting taxpayer money on stadiums for lovely teams (looking directly at the Sacramento Kings) too.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

predicto posted:

Things change. Teams develop and regress. Players unexpectedly develop into superstars from nowhere. Injuries are a massive wildcard.

At the start of the 2014 season, the Warriors were a sixth seed who had been knocked out in the first round of the previous playoffs. They were led by Curry (whose ankles splintered every other game), Klay, (who was completely one-dimensional and literally could not make a lay-up), David Lee (the classic "mediocre guy who gets 20-10 because no one else on the team fills that role") and Andre Igoudala whose best years seemed to be behind him. Draymond Green was a chubby second round pic who got 20 minutes a game and averaged 6 points, 5 rebounds and 1.9 assists. The Warriors had just fired their coach and replaced him with a former TV analyst and front office failure who never had coached at any level. They were at essentially the same level as the Jazz or Raptors are now, and no one had any idea that team was about to go super saiyan.

The Warriors may be a dynasty for the next few years or it may all go to poo poo for them and we will all wonder what happened.

Yeah, I mean if you went based on recent record, the Lakers would get cut

I mean, teams get good and teams get bad. I'd say the best thing for the league would be force bad ownership groups to sell, but the NBA would never do that

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

ex post facho posted:

i meant in terms of relegation of clearly less competitive teams to their own "G league", i mean as everyone's talking about why waste everyone's time with the facade of a competitive league when (apparently) parity isn't important in the NBA?

how does that make things better, if the problem is only a few teams have a chance? relegation hasn't kept four teams from winning literally 90% of premier league championships. like the sixers get relegated for the st. paul bazookas, and then the warriors still win the finals. and then the sixers players all opt out and go sign with the warriors cuz they don't want to play in the d-league.

i don't even mind the idea of a relegation system per se but it doesn't address the top-heavy nature of the sport at all. nothing really will, it's a low-variance sport with a heavy amount of star influence on team results. we're in a particularly extreme stretch for that b/c of curry's contract etc. but it tends to overturn every couple of years and it will again.

Dejan Bimble posted:

despite Ben Wallace leaving for Chicago where he would again dominate Shaquille O'neal in the playoffs, the marble mouth who accused an innocent person of pedophilia to the police and who ruined TNT's NBA coverage, Shaq was again stymied by a better player who would, without Detroit's training staff, soon succumb to injuries.

i love you

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
If you could threaten Andre Drummond with being sent to a D-league team unless he shoots his free throws underhand, do you think he would?

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
https://www.instagram.com/p/BVXx2ddh_kA/?taken-by=kingjames

LeBron a legend.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

ex post facho posted:

meta of all posters i think ud feel me the most on this one esp. being kindred NW division fans

i want to believe the nuggets and the thunder have some shot and gently caress jokic and westbrook are cool and good to watch but man im alllllll outta hope that either FO can construct a team that's got any hope

i wanna be content with reg season basketball but after 48 seasons of mostly that you wanna see more than the bottom of the conference

I don't give a gently caress about the NW division. Every team that I would consider even close to a rival is in the SW division.

There's your issue you aren't a fan enough. It don't matter if your team wins 20 games or 70 games cause you know once the game starts your team is better and will win but if they lose it was bullshit and the other team got lucky.

The nuggets have had good teams and have made it to the wcf in the last 10 years so what are you talking about

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
I don't think the entire league needs to be rewired because my team is currently poo poo.

Saying the NBA lacks parity because of superteams then wanting to solve it by making it more like FIFA means your thinking is very confused.

predicto posted:

To be fair, people were genuinely terrified. HIV transmission was not yet understood by the public, and it was viewed as a virtual death sentence. This wasn't simple prejudice - this was actual fear. Fear borne of ignorance, but sincere fear nonetheless.

Certainly, but there's a very compelling argument to be made that it was allowed to become a massive public health crisis in the first place due to simple prejudice ("the population brought it upon themselves through their immoral actions"-type thinking) thoroughly compounded by greed (pharma companies ignoring their own research and continuing to sell infected blood products + refusing to devote resources to the health issues of a politically unpalatable group). Eh it's a moot point by the early 90s I guess

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

So realistically Durant is either opting in or resigning with non-Bird rights, yeah?

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

I literally cannot tell if that shirt says Quickie or Quicide

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Also the Warriors are losing in the WCF against Paul Chris and Kawaii Desu Ka without the treacherous borderline all-star Patches to unrail them

In short, Spurs in 5

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
How good were Rik Smits and Zyldraunus Ilgauskus, I remember them both being way too good in a way that seemed unfair, because they were tall and made jumpshots during my chyldhode

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/SimonMaloy/status/875436762432028672

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

wwwwwwwwwwwwwww

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
The NBA is incredibly entertaining and there is at least one reason to watch every single team, every single night. Except the Magic. But, like, the Magic are going to be playing an interesting team every night! So even the Magic.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

OzFactor posted:

The NBA is incredibly entertaining and there is at least one reason to watch every single team, every single night. Except the Magic. But, like, the Magic are going to be playing an interesting team every night! So even the Magic.

What happens when Orlando plays Brooklyn?

Dejan Bimble posted:

How good were Rik Smits and Zyldraunus Ilgauskus, I remember them both being way too good in a way that seemed unfair, because they were tall and made jumpshots during my chyldhode

I remember Smits playing big in the 00 Finals for some reason. And also being a terrible rebounder for being like 7'2"

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

Dejan Bimble posted:

Smits was better, but neither was anything special. They were classic big and very slow dudes with one offensive skill who were useful because the defensive rules and deliberate style of play back then allowed them to use bulk and height to defend without having to move their feet. Both would be exposed in the modern game.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

Spite posted:

Hopefully you get the Red Panda

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

Dejan Bimble posted:

This is your annual reminder that Sabonis' NBA stats were comparable to Hakeem and Shaq's at the same age

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Spite posted:

Luis Scola turns into olympic Scola you start mean mugging as you witness the impossible

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Spite posted:

Lin/Lopez pickNroll was fun when Lin wasn't in the hospital.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
Contraction of a few teams would be good for the game, but it is never going to happen while the NBA is printing money and would suck for the fans losing their teams.

It would have to be like when companies do stock buybacks, bad franchises that lose money would be sold to/bought out by the league. Any team up for sale the league would look to buy, but still could be outbid by a private party so whatever, poo poo ain't happening.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

ex post facho posted:

i don't think it's really shortsighted to think that wahtever team lebron and curry are on are favorites to make it to the finals for the next 5 years, or i guess until lebron finally starts breaking down, which will admittedly probably happen in the next 3 years

the nba could eliminate:

- Nuggets
- Jazz
- Suns
- Grizzlies
- Bucks
- Timberwolves
- Pistons
- Magic
- Pels
- Hornets
- Raptors
- Nets
- Pacers
- Thunder
- Kings

disperse their talent to the other 15 teams and you instantly have a better league, full of stacked teams that would produce the best most competitive basketball youve ever seen

Um actually the Timberwolves are going to become the best very soon when KAT and Wiggins and Lavine become even better and they're gonna get my dude Ricky a ring.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Spite posted:

I remember Smits playing big in the 00 Finals for some reason. And also being a terrible rebounder for being like 7'2"

If y ou pretend that Brooklyn is going to get Capri Sun and orange slices after the game regardless, and a pizza party if they win, it makes watching them a lot more fun.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
If the NBA contracted the Grizzlies I would kill the NBA. This is an explicit threat on the life of the NBA. I am not joking. You will need to be lucky for the rest of your life, I will only need to be lucky once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
I guess Lebron finally shaved his head huh

• Locked thread