Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Captain Baal posted:

Is the same guy who literally made fun of new players trying to figure out mvc3 in the goonsgarden irc while drunk?

woah watch out baal, he might tell you to kill yourself if you say mass effect andromeda is bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Endorph posted:

woah watch out baal, he might tell you to kill yourself if you say mass effect andromeda is bad
nah i'm having a cool day, that wouldn't do anything for me

mass effect andromeda is a good comparison. another game that some people will enjoy and some people won't but a ton of people on the internet are gonna talk about how wrong some of those people were for MONTHS

because this is just internet gaming culture in general. it is so depressing and makes me question the personal choice of even supporting this hobby because it seems to be genuinely distructive.

it is tooooooooys

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

andromeda was really bad to be fair, and was basically a company making GBS threads out a product half-finished because they knew it'd make money off the brand, even if it killed the ip. even if you liked the game you have to admit 'we'll put this out, get mediocre (for a triple A game) reviews, but then fix it in the sequel' isn't exactly good to the customers. that's what this is about when you get down to it, basically, people feeling cheated or hurt by corporations. you can say it's toys as much as you want but stuff like SFV's launch is basically just capcom going 'gently caress you, you'll buy it anyway,' and while obviously people can just not buy what capcom puts out in the future it's understandable that they'd have some resentment.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

cams posted:

nah i'm having a cool day, that wouldn't do anything for me

mass effect andromeda is a good comparison. another game that some people will enjoy and some people won't but a ton of people on the internet are gonna talk about how wrong some of those people were for MONTHS

because this is just internet gaming culture in general. it is so depressing and makes me question the personal choice of even supporting this hobby because it seems to be genuinely distructive.

it is tooooooooys

Dude, it's fine to say some toys are bad tho. People just don't need to get weird about it on both sides of the spectrum. It's fine.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I think it's also annoyance that people and gaming journalism (lol) will give these massively flawed games tons of air time and decent reviews just because they're by a big developer and then barely acknowledge and toss 6/10s at stuff that's interesting and well-made but obscure. like if french bread or whoever had released a game in sfv's launch state it would have gotten 2/10s and been a public laughing stock.

and obviously review scores don't matter (except that companies clearly base decisions off of them), but it still kinda sucks.

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

cams posted:

my position is that it is toys. buy them or don't, basing your identity around being part of a club who go on an internet forum and get in slapfights about how a video game is objectively bad is, and i mean this, sad. very very sad to me. tbh i like that at least you were honest about the culty echochamber poo poo that people are doing. if you believe yourself to be some warrior in a video game war, go nuts. we all have our delusions that keep us going.

but i am the odd one out here so i try not to read these threads too much because they contain very, very little of value. tabs is actually funny and jmcrofts and sn64 do legitimately good work when new games come out.

i love fighting games so i will buy this fighting game and play it and probably enjoy it a ton.

How is that any different than what you do though? You're on the same discussion forum, in this particular thread, judging us for judging a game/company. I don't think having an opinion on and discussing with others something you're interested in is "sad" or wrong in any way. It's easy to just dismiss the value of a given topic by devaluing it and saying "it is toys", but these toys are also something you love and care about enough to say you're going to just throw money at without regard for the quality of the product or the relationship between the people making the product and the consumer. Being an active participant in a subculture is not about "delusion", it's just about contributing something to the community, even if it's just a post on a message board.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Endorph posted:

andromeda was really bad to be fair, and was basically a company making GBS threads out a product half-finished because they knew it'd make money off the brand, even if it killed the ip. even if you liked the game you have to admit 'we'll put this out, get mediocre (for a triple A game) reviews, but then fix it in the sequel' isn't exactly good to the customers. that's what this is about when you get down to it, basically, people feeling cheated or hurt by corporations. you can say it's toys as much as you want but stuff like SFV's launch is basically just capcom going 'gently caress you, you'll buy it anyway,' and while obviously people can just not buy what capcom puts out in the future it's understandable that they'd have some resentment.
this part. i started reading this and my eyes glazed over because i do not care about the objective quality of a video game

the fact that you guys are now invoking some grand war against late stage capitalism to justify your whining on the internet about video games is absurd to me

Dias posted:

Dude, it's fine to say some toys are bad tho. People just don't need to get weird about it on both sides of the spectrum. It's fine.
i made a post about how this game is flawed but looks fun and people went apeshit. people enjoy palling around with their buddies on the internet and attacking people who don't share their opinion. that is the vast majority of content people post about fighting games in these forums. very few people, especially among the ones who post the most, actually talk about PLAYING fighting games.

which, again, why i don't hang out here. i try and keep to that but i have NOTHING going on in june. pretty bored.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

If the cost of the toy is $90, I think it's worth pondering whether the toy is worth it or not.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
why do you love capitalism dude. were all toxically masculine bernie bros here

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

cams posted:

this part. i started reading this and my eyes glazed over because i do not care about the objective quality of a video game
uh, grats? sfv launched without even an arcade mode. that isn't about objective quality, that's about charging 60 dollars for a game without even basic features. iunno why that's hard or somehow delusional or pathetic to think that maybe they should have delayed sfv a few months to put in basic stuff like an arcade mode instead of crapping it out because they knew people'd buy it anyway.

Savage For The Winjun
Jun 27, 2008

Haha having opinions is gay

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Endorph posted:

uh, grats? sfv launched without even an arcade mode. that isn't about objective quality, that's about charging 60 dollars for a game without even basic features. iunno why that's hard or somehow delusional or pathetic to think that maybe they should have delayed sfv a few months to put in basic stuff like an arcade mode instead of crapping it out because they knew people'd buy it anyway.
i do not give a single poo poo about an arcade mode. i bought sfv and i loved it. i bought the season 1 pass because i loved it. i enjoy that game. didn't get season 2 because i have not been playing that much, not a huge fan of season 2.

hey, get this. the "best" fighting game content/polish wise is injustice 2 and it is the only fighting game i really regret buying because i just do not enjoy the game that much, even compared to injustice 1 which i enjoyed. experiences are subjective and you caring about people spending money on video games you don't want them to spend money is behavior that i don't think should be encouraged.

i am poor as gently caress and buying almost every fighting game has not hurt my budget at all, but i don't spend money on things often.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

cams posted:

i do not give a single poo poo about an arcade mode. i bought sfv and i loved it. i bought the season 1 pass because i loved it. i enjoy that game. didn't get season 2 because i have not been playing that much, not a huge fan of season 2.

hey, get this. the "best" fighting game content/polish wise is injustice 2 and it is the only fighting game i really regret buying because i just do not enjoy the game that much, even compared to injustice 1 which i enjoyed. experiences are subjective and you caring about people spending money on video games you don't want them to spend money is behavior that i don't think should be encouraged.

i am poor as gently caress and buying almost every fighting game has not hurt my budget at all, but i don't spend money on things often.

just because you enjoy getting hosed in the rear end by capcom doesn't mean people should, considering you are clearly brain broken.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i dont care if someone liked sfv or spent money on it and im not sure where you're getting the impression that i do? literally all i said was that the game probably should have had a few more months in development but capcom felt they could get away with just tossing it out there. i am not saying sfv is good or bad. i am not saying people who like sfv are good or bad. all i am saying is that capcom did something without much regard for the consumers.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Endorph posted:

i dont care if someone liked sfv or spent money on it and im not sure where you're getting the impression that i do? literally all i said was that the game probably should have had a few more months in development but capcom felt they could get away with just tossing it out there. i am not saying sfv is good or bad. i am not saying people who like sfv are good or bad. all i am saying is that capcom did something without much regard for the consumers.
drat, you're right, if they had released the game with content that appealed to more consumers they probably would have sold more of their product because more people would have bought it... holy poo poo!

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

cams posted:

drat, you're right, if they had released the game with content that appealed to more consumers they probably would have sold more of their product because more people would have bought it... holy poo poo!

aren't you the guy who beat his girlfriend with a nintendo gamecube

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Captain Baal posted:

Is the same guy who literally made fun of new players trying to figure out mvc3 in the goonsgarden irc while drunk?

He's the guy who ranted about euthanizing gamers and then also admitted to putting 450 hours into dragon age 3

In like, the same post

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

cams I'm sorry that you still haven't come to grips with the fact that people are going to talk about the game in the thread dedicated to the game

cams
Mar 28, 2003

CharlestonJew posted:

aren't you the guy who beat his girlfriend with a nintendo gamecube
oh hey cool we're at the point where several people attack me personally then someone accuses me of beating women, this is my favorite part of the something awful fgc

also happens to be the point where i go from amused to legitimately annoyed so bye. just start here next time i post and i'll just take off.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
You have to be like the biggest loving hypocrite dude, lol.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
I've basically learned not to read any threads about a game I actually might enjoy because the constant negatives for page after page stops me actually enjoying the game.

We'll all be disappointed if the game is poo poo, no need to put yourself through the pain of thinking it will be poo poo for the next 3 months on top of that. The crusade of 'destructive criticism' and 'negative propaganda' (lol) against capitalism/capcom won't make a difference to their bottom line, the game being actually poo poo or not on release will.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Get help, cams

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Is this the thread for a small number of goons to unironically argue that people should be bad/thoughtless consumers?

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

Fellblade posted:

I've basically learned not to read any threads about a game I actually might enjoy because the constant negatives for page after page stops me actually enjoying the game.

We'll all be disappointed if the game is poo poo, no need to put yourself through the pain of thinking it will be poo poo for the next 3 months on top of that. The crusade of 'destructive criticism' and 'negative propaganda' (lol) against capitalism/capcom won't make a difference to their bottom line, the game being actually poo poo or not on release will.

free market baby. jack me off with ur invisible hand

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

cams posted:

oh hey cool we're at the point where several people attack me personally then someone accuses me of beating women, this is my favorite part of the something awful fgc

also happens to be the point where i go from amused to legitimately annoyed so bye. just start here next time i post and i'll just take off.

how did it feel as you slammed 5.9 x 6.3 x 4.3 inches of plastic and metal into her face cams

did you use the handle or did you double fist it over your head captain kirk style

yo mamma a Horus
Apr 7, 2008

Nap Ghost
my favorite character is the docter strange because he magic

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

Fellblade posted:

Why do you let yourself be affected by the opinions of others so much that it would cause you to stop enjoying something that you want to enjoy?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Fellblade posted:

Nigga, the loving tekken 7 thread was filled with nothing but elation for tekken as a whole and the actual game came out and people loved it. Like it shouldn't come as a surprise that when you release a good product that doesn't burn your audience that your audience responds with good will and love and not toxicity and cynicism. This is not even to mention that if you are this easily swayed by the opinions of others, how are you reading this thread right now and making all of these stupid disingenuous posts about the points others are making? Also, no one is killing themselves calling this game poo poo and posting on an internet forum about one game is not a crusade either for that matter.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~
(posting in a video game forum) having opinions on games is bad

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Listen: If everyone else agrees that the games you like are bad the problem might not be with everyone else.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Zand posted:

(posting in a video game forum) having opinions on games is bad
*putting 450 hours into dragon age 3* caring about video games is bad

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
That being said there are outliers to that like a friend I have who thought Xrd was rear end and was gonna buy this game because it has X, Zero, and Sigma in it ignoring that he hates Capcom fighters and always bitched about my friend beating him with Phoenix Wright nonsense.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

CharlestonJew posted:

how did it feel as you slammed 5.9 x 6.3 x 4.3 inches of plastic and metal into her face cams
and furthermore, what about when you beat her with the gamecube

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

So cams is comfortable with criticizing the us government (it's a good thing to do), isn't comfortable with criticizing Capcom (You should be thinking intelligently about your purchases), and beats women?

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

I don't understand.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

being repeatedly falsely accused of beating women has convinced me that there is nothing at all toxic or disgusting about this internet community, you guys are all healthy individuals engaging with intellectual honesty

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

NecroMonster posted:

So cams is comfortable with criticizing the us government (it's a good thing to do), isn't comfortable with criticizing Capcom (You should be thinking intelligently about your purchases), and beats women?

Look, cams is kind of an idiot but you don't need to double down on it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

okay, ignoring the gamecube thing, can i criticize you for saying we should kill all foreigners

Mr. Maggy
Aug 17, 2014
this looks bad, and that's sad, because i wanted this to look good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Mr. Maggy posted:

this looks bad, and that's sad, because i wanted this to look good

Seriously. First (and probably last) fighting game I'll get to play as mega man x in and it look bobo

• Locked thread