Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Closed-Down Pizza Parlor posted:

Dawn was garbage because of the dumbass touchscreen integration you had to do in order to kill a boss; my hate for it is partly because I only played it emulated and the touchscreen functionality was iffy but I had to refight that stupid clocktower boss like five times because it wouldn't take the inputs

gently caress dawn of sorrow, Order is by far the best castlevania

The touchscreen for that stuff is actually just iffy in the game itself. I even see speedrunners screw it up on occasion even when they aren't trying to do it super fast or anything.

It's a really bad mechanic that's just bolted on for no reason and I agree it drags the game down a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Poniard posted:

Who likes collectors editions

so much for the tolerant luft

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Lurdiak posted:

So yeah my Castlevania Rankings are, in no particular order:

Good: Castlevania, Dracula's Curse, Super Castlevania 4, Circle of the Moon, Aria of Sorrow, Bloodlines, Belmont's Revenge, The Adventure Rebirth, Rondo of Blood, Symphony of the Night, Chronicles, Dracula X(being generous here)

Bad: Harmony of Dissonance, Dawn of Sorrow, Order of Ecclesia (maybe), Portrait of Ruin, Simon's Quest, Lament of Innocence, Curse of Darkness, Harmony of Despair, The Adventure, Legends, Castlevania 64, Legacy of Darkness (so close to not sucking)

Didn't really play: Haunted Castle

Don't even count: The Lords of Shadow games, Judgment, Pachislot

So yeah IGA's got 2 good ones and at least 5 bad ones (gonna be generous and say no one could've made Harmony of Despair work since it was a cash-in, and Order may be secretly good). That's why I don't have any faith in Bludstaind. That and pretty much everything he's ever said in interviews.

imo the only really bad Castlevania games are LoS2, Mirror of Fate, Judgment and the N64 ones. The rest are decent to good.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Everyone likes to joke about mascot platformer fandoms going too far but at least nobody's ever attempted murder in the name of Sonic before.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Cowcaster posted:

there was one card combo that would set your attack super high, but make it so you'd have to charge up a sword swing while standing still to hit at that attack value

or, you could just slide kick around on the floor like a dog rubbing its butt on the carpet since that just used the raw attack value and would do the exact same damage as the fully charged sword attack

My favorite combo was Summon + Skeleton, which transformed you into a bone-chucking skeleton that would be killed in one hit but would also randomly hurl a giant bone that does 9999 damage.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

tap my mountain posted:

They need should make a Twin Peaks game in the vein of that weird Pacman game where you lead Pacman around a with a slingshot, but with Dougie Jones instead.

there's a really twin peaksy ps1 game with a fan translation project that's actually pretty far along right now

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

The Colonel posted:

there's a really twin peaksy ps1 game with a fan translation project that's actually pretty far along right now

that title doesn't abbreviate into any part of the human anatomy at all, pass

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Dawn was garbage because of the dumbass touchscreen integration you had to do in order to kill a boss; my hate for it is partly because I only played it emulated and the touchscreen functionality was iffy but I had to refight that stupid clocktower boss like five times because it wouldn't take the inputs

gently caress dawn of sorrow, Order is by far the best castlevania

but you have to do touchscreen stuff to kill the bosses in order???

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

corn in the bible posted:

but you have to do touchscreen stuff to kill the bosses in order???

no ...?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Cowcaster posted:

that title doesn't abbreviate into any part of the human anatomy at all, pass

eat my cotwar bitch :twisted:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
trace the picture to kill boss

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

I can't watch this at the moment so I'm gonna assume it's them making jokes about it but lol if anyone starts believing they invented him

Anyway, castlevania chat. God the designs in Judgment are such utter garbage compared to the art in stuff like Aria. Seriously, if you haven't seen the character art for Judgment then go take a look because it's just not good.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

i don't remember anything like that in OoE, i'm pretty sure i never used the touchscreen at any point

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

tap my mountain posted:

They need should make a Twin Peaks game in the vein of that weird Pacman game where you lead Pacman around a with a slingshot, but with Dougie Jones instead.

The Mr Jackpot scene totally captured the feeling of playing a game with a dedicated button to spam a voice clip.

Press X to Shaun HelloooOOOooo!!!

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Portrait and Order had touch screen stuff but it was all like minor stuff like being able to have familiars follow it or the bonus modes with other characters that you never had to mess with.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

FirstAidKite posted:

I can't watch this at the moment so I'm gonna assume it's them making jokes about it but lol if anyone starts believing they invented him

they're joking about how a movie they made a year before slenderman showed up in the photoshop thread has a couple of few coincidences that tie it to the weird internet mythos that grew up around him after the pictures were made. they're just bringing it up because they happened to watch the documentary someone made about the girls stabbing their friend and thought it was neat.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

i don't remember anything like that in OoE, i'm pretty sure i never used the touchscreen at any point

You need it for Albus mode to teleport which is pretty important, but you don't need it at all for the main game.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Guy Mann posted:

My favorite combo was Summon + Skeleton, which transformed you into a bone-chucking skeleton that would be killed in one hit but would also randomly hurl a giant bone that does 9999 damage.

TIER PARGON ARETAK CHATTUR'GHA PARGON

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I've felt that when all the cards are on the table, Order of Ecclesia is my favorite Castlevania. SotN is an amazing game but there is so much god drat bloat and it's just an overall rather rough experience to revisit, most notably in the difficutly department where clearly they had not figured out how to scale enemies with the new leveling system to not make everything a joke in the second half. OoE has the best overall challenge and gameplay of the rest, with even the bonus of not having the medicore art of Dawn/Portrait. In the end I love all of the IGAvanias except for Harmony but OoE will always be my #1.

But that said the reasons I like those games and other, traditional Castlevanias are so far apart that I feel it's a lot more fair to categorize them as such. For the other set my favorite has to be Rondo of Blood.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
I watched that ExtraCredits thing about "hentai elements" in games. It was pretty decent. Makes me want to play Yakuza 0 all the more.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yakuza 0 is my first Yakuza and I'm hooked.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Snak posted:

Yakuza 0 is my first Yakuza and I'm hooked.

Starting with the best one is maybe not the wisest plan.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Imagine being so unfunny that you were fined 100K dollars

https://www.polygon.com/e3/2017/6/15/15806452/devolver-loses-100k-on-banned-e3-festival

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Gaming confession: The closest I got to playing a Classic Castlevania was the SotN opening. I guess I should try them some day?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah, but it was the first one to come out on a platform that I own. I'm probably only going to play the ones the come to ps4.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Samuringa posted:

Gaming confession: The closest I got to playing a Classic Castlevania was the SotN opening. I guess I should try them some day?
I love the NES ones but they are...hard in a way that takes a while to appreciate.

Rondo of Blood and Super Castlevania IV are legit though. I also rather enjoyed the Wii remake of The Adventure.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Lurdiak posted:

Idea: [person] plays worst game in series, completes it and continues on to the others, appreciating the design and improvements as they go
Reality: [person] decides the series sucks and never plays any of the rest of them

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Idea: [person] plays worst game in series, completes it and continues on to the others, appreciating the design and improvements as they go
Reality: [person] decides the series sucks and never plays any of the rest of them

yeah the "start with the worst one" mentality works on the pretty stupid assumption that the person is going to play the entirety of a game series, to completion. why not, you know, just play the good ones?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

and honestly yakuza 0 isn't significantly better than most of the rest of the series, even if you think it's the best one. it's way better than the earlier ones but once you get to like 4 they're all on about the same level mechanically

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

one that comes up in the same discussion is the original shadowrun returns. a lot of people recommend playing it before dragonfall or hong kong "because it'll be hard to go back to after you do".

except, there's the option of not going back to it at all. that's a valid option

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the only reason to play og yakuza 1 is to hear bill farmer doing the sam voice from sam & max hit the road while acting as a hardboiled detective who has trouble connecting with his daughter

and also hear daud from dishonored playing a big buff shirtless guy who wants to beat you up

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
I mean, if I start Yakuza 0, which would be my first one, it wouldn't be with the intention to play the much older ones but to start picking up any new ones as they come out.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
And the next one coming to ps4 is a remake of 1 with yakuza 0 combat. So...

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Samuringa posted:

SotN take a little while to really get going (2 hours or so) but once it does it's impossible to put down. Such an incredible game.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the story stuff in yakuza 1 is great as far as i got into it because it's literally Kazuma's Single Dad Adventures so i look forward to everyone playing it

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Play Super Castlevania IV, it will take you a couple hours
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RirOZhiwrIE

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

8 way whip in castlevania iv is a sin

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Dat whip wiggle.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Yeah IV is a good introduction to the original games, if only because it's easier.

Don't expect whip movement to come back in a meaningful way, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Well obviously the solution is to start with 4 and 5, which are much worse than zero but still not as bad as Dead Souls or whatever.

PantsBandit posted:

SotN take a little while to really get going (2 hours or so) but once it does it's impossible to put down. Such an incredible game.

SotN is not a classic Castlevania.

• Locked thread