Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splish
Sep 17, 2008

Noctone posted:

Because no one ever educates them about it. Which, if you didn't help her out by explaining it to her, makes you part of the problem.

yeah I'm not going to jump into a conversation I wasn't a part of to correct someone thirty years older than me about something a simple google search could reveal. In an ideal world people would be open to education about better finances, in the real world people get defensive and think you're just trying to make them look stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
And trying to educate them about it before they have a reason to be defensive(ie. as teenagers) is an uphill battle, because they don't have the real world experiences that make financial :techno: meaningful.

Employers happy about employees not asking for raises because 'it'd bump me into the next bracket!' are also a factor, probably.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I'd try to set a friend straight or maybe even some random person in a social setting, but I'm not going to open that box of worms at work.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
I've had people at work, including people who rent, get legitimately mad at me for expressing the idea that buying a house is probably a good idea long-term, but renting is not always throwing your money away.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Splish posted:

yeah I'm not going to jump into a conversation I wasn't a part of to correct someone thirty years older than me about something a simple google search could reveal. In an ideal world people would be open to education about better finances, in the real world people get defensive and think you're just trying to make them look stupid.

You can say it in a nice way, like "I thought that too, but then I looked it up and it turns out you only pay the higher rate on your earnings over the limit." But if you were eavesdropping strangers, that wouldn't make sense.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Speaking as a horrible pedant in real life, there is never a good time to be a pedant. If you could start your sentence with, "Actually..." just don't say it.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Hoodwinker posted:

Speaking as a horrible pedant in real life, there is never a good time to be a pedant.

It's true.

I thought that there was no way people wouldn't appreciate knowing that they could be saving several hundred dollars a year by doing nothing, but they would rather insist that they are carrying a balance on their credit cards to help them build credit to buy a house.

Eventually, you just have to learn to accept that getting coworkers angry at you for trying to correct them isn't worth it. If you are not financially tied to them, you just lean back and post their conversations in the BWM thread to gain a fleeting moment of smug superiority.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Hoodwinker posted:

Speaking as a horrible pedant in real life, there is never a good time to be a pedant. If you could start your sentence with, "Actually..." just don't say it.
Um, actually, there are times it's appropriate to go "actually...". :smug:

But really, people don't like feeling condescended to even if you're right. Learning to pick your battles is GWL.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Haifisch posted:

But really, people don't like feeling condescended to even if you're right. Learning to pick your battles is GWL.
My personal experience is that you earn the right to correct people when you have established trust with them, and even then you still need to pick your battles when it's worth it.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug
I've had this conversation many times with friends and family, and to be fair it's not the clearest thing in the world until you learn how it works. Then everyone has the same "aha" moment.

Until then, plenty of people think that moving from, say, the 28% bracket to the 33% bracket means every dollar of their income is now taxed at 33%. It is a pretty easy mistake to make especially if their returns are complicated.

A good accountant or tax program should list the effective tax rate you paid, which should make it pretty obvious how marginal rates work.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Splish posted:

Overheard a coworker this morning say that she and her husband make about $120,000 a year and it's good that they don't make more because then they would be in the 33% tax bracket and get screwed over.

Uhh the 33% bracket starts at $191k for single and $233k married. She's got more than just terminology confused.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

If they each make about $120K, the math is basically right.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
This probably doesn't count as a humblebrag because holy poo poo I got a large raise at my last job and it killed us in taxes. As in, I already had zero deductions and I ended up with a 6 digit tax bill because we moved up brackets. Marginal tax rates, sure. But if you get caught off guard and don't withhold enough the IRS eats your loving rear end in extra fees.

So that does happen. If an older person is talking about that then they probably lived through the inflationary 80's and watched any pay raised get slaughtered by the combination of higher prices and more taxes. It just takes one year like I had to make you forever paranoid.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Haifisch posted:

"You shouldn't waste your money on Starbucks every morning" is condescending.

Informing people about marginal tax rates if they genuinely don't understand how tax brackets work, is not condescending.

Arguing with them about the government if they don't believe you is condescending.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Krispy Kareem posted:

This probably doesn't count as a humblebrag because holy poo poo I got a large raise at my last job and it killed us in taxes. As in, I already had zero deductions and I ended up with a 6 digit tax bill because we moved up brackets. Marginal tax rates, sure. But if you get caught off guard and don't withhold enough the IRS eats your loving rear end in extra fees.

So that does happen. If an older person is talking about that then they probably lived through the inflationary 80's and watched any pay raised get slaughtered by the combination of higher prices and more taxes. It just takes one year like I had to make you forever paranoid.

That sounds like your payroll department hosed up? idgi

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Krispy Kareem posted:

A large part of this is what bullshit garbage the US tax system is compared to any other country. Unless you're running your own business, most taxable activity (or credit / deduction eligible activity) is already being reported to the IRS. They can and should be setting your withholding for you, and then just sending you a pre-filled return saying "does this look right"?

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

BarbarianElephant posted:

"You shouldn't waste your money on Starbucks every morning" is condescending.

Informing people about marginal tax rates if they genuinely don't understand how tax brackets work, is not condescending.

Arguing with them about the government if they don't believe you is condescending.
When you try to talk to somebody about something they don't understand and don't really have any interest in understanding, they hear noises like the voices of adults in a Charlie Brown cartoon.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Krispy Kareem posted:

What kind of raise did you get where you ended up with a surprise *6 digit* tax bill in April? Not saying it didn't happen, but I only see that when some spectacular bonus/profit-share roles through, or RSUs vest or whatever. And even in those cases (especially RSUs) you can still plan for them.

Even if you did some super-jump - like from the 15% to the 33% bracket (which, overall, would be an amazing problem to have) ...6 figures? Did you mean 5 figures?

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

guys this isn't a humblebrag but this one time when I got a $2M raise I had a big tax bill! yowzers!

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Twerk from Home posted:

A large part of this is what bullshit garbage the US tax system is compared to any other country. Unless you're running your own business, most taxable activity (or credit / deduction eligible activity) is already being reported to the IRS. They can and should be setting your withholding for you, and then just sending you a pre-filled return saying "does this look right"?

http://www.npr.org/templates/transcript/transcript.php?storyId=521132960

Tried that in California.
Got shut down by lobbying from the tax preparing industry, who have a vested interest in making taxes more difficult for individuals so that they will hire preparers.
And also by Republicans who took the "no tax increase" pledge, who decided that the more time and money people spent preparing their taxes, the madder they'd be about their taxes and the more conscious they'd be about where the money goes. (DOUBTFUL)

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

lol your company did not gently caress up your withholding enough for you to get a six digit tax bill unless your net is like 3mil+ a year just stop

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

I feel a bird a-creepin. He is a-creepin.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
The actual post is mundane(and ends with OP's mom getting a job), but:

I'm 18 and the soul income of my family. Am I in trouble?

:ghost:

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Splish posted:

Overheard a coworker this morning say that she and her husband make about $120,000 a year and it's good that they don't make more because then they would be in the 33% tax bracket and get screwed over.

How are marginal tax brackets a thing that so many people have trouble understanding? People actually make decisions not to make more money because they are convinced that going into a higher tax bracket applies to all your income.

I've talked to 50 year-olds who still don't understand how tax brackets work. Many people apparently just put the numbers in and accept what comes out as fate or something.

It's also really popular in the country to manufacture grievances against the government to explain one's problems.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

canyoneer posted:

Clean out the personal items before you sell your deceased granddad's house.

https://np.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/6h85fl/wa_found_hidden_treasure_in_our_new_house_do_we/

My wife and I bought a new house and moved in a few weeks ago. We bought it from the grandson of the previous owner who was selling it as he inherited it in the estate. He was kind of a jerk during the closing process and we are just glad it's over and we no longer have to deal with him. It's a bit of a fixer-upper and we've been repainting inside. This weekend, I pulled off a coaxial faceplate and I found hidden within a ziploc bag with a few thousand in 100s folded up inside. I freaked out. We started looking in similar locations all over the house, and over the last couple of days have found lots of other bags in other locations - under the kitchen counter, behind a panel inside a medicine cabinet, under a loose step board in the garage, and several other places. We've found a lot so far, but I would prefer not to say how much, unless it matters legally. During the search, we also found a couple of guns, boxes of ammunition, a bunch of survivalist packaged food, and a backpack filled with clothes and first aid gear. We are still looking for more stuff.

A survivalist hoarde, and all they're finding is fiat currency? Better rent a metal detector, there is doubtless gold in them hills.

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jun 15, 2017

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Pompous Rhombus posted:

A survivalist hoarde, and all they're finding is fiat currency? Better rent a metal detector, there is doubtless gold in them hills.

You jest, but they did find some tubes of silver coins.

And several people actually did tell the OP to get a metal detector.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Noctone posted:

You jest, but they did find some tubes of silver coins.

And several people actually did tell the OP to get a metal detector.

Oh, I wasn't. I'm a veteren of the '08 Ron Paul threads...

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug
Not really a derail in my opinion - since at the core, it is a BWM/BWL discussion - but I've never understood the survivalist mentality when it comes to precious metals/stones.

In the Zombie apocalypse (or an epidemic right out of The Stand, or the Day of Judgement, or whatever collapse of the rule of law fantasy fuels their fevered dreams) where, exactly, does having a stash of gold/silver/whatever benefit you?

You want to talk about that in terms of a normal, maybe slightly paranoid, diversification strategy for investments, ok, I can maybe see that, but when society collapses what makes these types think we're going to revert to pre-medieval bartering times where a gold coin has value? I don't get it. Probably a good thing.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Ixian posted:

Not really a derail in my opinion - since at the core, it is a BWM/BWL discussion - but I've never understood the survivalist mentality when it comes to precious metals/stones.

In the Zombie apocalypse (or an epidemic right out of The Stand, or the Day of Judgement, or whatever collapse of the rule of law fantasy fuels their fevered dreams) where, exactly, does having a stash of gold/silver/whatever benefit you?

You want to talk about that in terms of a normal, maybe slightly paranoid, diversification strategy for investments, ok, I can maybe see that, but when society collapses what makes these types think we're going to revert to pre-medieval bartering times where a gold coin has value? I don't get it. Probably a good thing.
In theory, it's nice to have a compact store of value even if it doesn't have practical uses. At least I assume that's the logic they're running on.

In practice, survivalist nuts are having all their poo poo stolen within a day of the apocalypse.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Haifisch posted:

In theory, it's nice to have a compact store of value even if it doesn't have practical uses. At least I assume that's the logic they're running on.

In practice, survivalist nuts are having all their poo poo stolen within a day of the apocalypse.

That's more or less the definition of a currency, though. Believing that, in a scenario where the whole world goes to poo poo and chaos reigns, everyone will just accept gold/silver/rubies/whatever-the-gently caress as currency is just as absurd as believing everyone will keep using dollars/euros/yuan.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Noctone posted:

That's more or less the definition of a currency, though. Believing that, in a scenario where the whole world goes to poo poo and chaos reigns, everyone will just accept gold/silver/rubies/whatever-the-gently caress as currency is just as absurd as believing everyone will keep using dollars/euros/yuan.
Remember that these weirdos also think money not backed by precious metals is a scam about to collapse, for Reasons. Of course they'll think people will naturally default to gold/silver instead of paper money.

It's like asking why bitcoiners are always so sure mass cryptocurrency adoption is just around the corner. It isn't, but these people have bought into the ideology so hard they can't fathom it's not the natural state of the world.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Noctone posted:

Perhaps they heard about German hyperinflation in the '20s and have a paranoid fear that the same could happen in their nation?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Ixian posted:

What kind of raise did you get where you ended up with a surprise *6 digit* tax bill in April? Not saying it didn't happen, but I only see that when some spectacular bonus/profit-share roles through, or RSUs vest or whatever. And even in those cases (especially RSUs) you can still plan for them.

Even if you did some super-jump - like from the 15% to the 33% bracket (which, overall, would be an amazing problem to have) ...6 figures? Did you mean 5 figures?

I was a W-2 contractor and my cost center was a general data center fund. I guess my boss had some extra money left over and knew my contract wouldn't keep me there much longer. So it was an unusually large raise that I only had for 18 months and which I spent the last 8 of those putting away an extra $1k a month on my W-4 to avoid owing another massive tax bill.

The point being raises can gently caress you over tax-wise. It won't happen to most people, but unless you know how much their household income is you can't tell how one raise will impact their bracket.

And yes. I meant 5 figures. That was my bad. I'm visiting a place where I can buy beer by the half gallon and that apparently has a detrimental effect on my math.

Krispy Wafer fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jun 16, 2017

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

It was my understanding that typically withholding would be calculated assuming that you received the current pay period's payment through the whole year, so a raise tends to lead to over withholding...

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Also, a story where your "problem" is you made so much money that you had to pay more taxes than you thought is not really a BWM story.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Also, a story where your "problem" is you made so much money that you had to pay more taxes than you thought is not really a BWM story.

It was a counterpoint to the idea that raises can't drastically increase your tax burden. Yes, my withholding increased, but it knocked our household income to a new bracket and we got underpayment penalties on top of money owed. Plus we had a double whammy when we adjusted withholding to avoid the same problem the following year.

If I'm ever in that same situation I'll know to boost my W-4 withholdings independent of my deductions. It's stupid of people to decline raises because of taxes, but all it takes is this happening one year to make you forever paranoid of it happening again.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Shut up, dummies.

Would a fairly small loan (~$5000) be a good alternative to getting minimum wage job while in college?

quote:

I'm currently going into my junior year of college as an Electrical/Computer Engineering major. After the money that my parents give me to pay for some of my education along with the money I've saved for college, my remaining expenses end up running somewhere around $2500 per year. I was unable to find any work related to my major over this summer and I really don't have much interest in working a minimum wage job during what will probably be my last extended free time until retirement. Since I still need a few thousand dollars, I was thinking a good option might be to take out a fairly small loan to cover my expenses until I graduate.

Normally, I would say that it isn't a good idea to spend money you don't really have, but I feel quite confident that I will be able to find a job without too much trouble (employment rate for EECE is >95%) and be able to pay off this loan in a matter of months if not weeks.

Is this a reasonable option or would I be making a mistake doing this?

If it would be a good option, where should I look for loans like this?

Holy poo poo his reply when he was told to just get a loving job:

quote:

Why should I do things I don't enjoy if it's unnecessary? I'm aware that having a job is part of being an adult, but I don't see why I shouldn't enjoy this summer. I'll have an internship next summer and I'll work for the rest of my life after that. Why spend my last summer doing something to make $10 when I'll be making many times that after graduation and won't have a lot of trouble paying it off? In addition, I have been mowing lawns as you suggest. I'm just not making anywhere near enough and options are more limited than you might expect near me. I live in the middle of nowhere, but I've been mowing all three lawns within a reasonable distance.
He sounds like every teenager ever. It's adorable.

Edit: Got it before the inevitable meltdown deletion.

Hoodwinker fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jun 16, 2017

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

I mean, lacking an internship the summer after his junior year isn't great, but I assume STEM kids have employment of some kind thrown at them upon graduation, even if it's only .5 X what he thinks it will be and probably as an unengaging contract role, but I assume he would be able to pay it off if he doesn't turn up his nose at something he things is beneath him.

Which is to say he'll be back in 12 months as another story of BWM.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

crazypeltast52 posted:

if he doesn't turn up his nose at something he things is beneath him

OP posted:

Why should I do things I don't enjoy if it's unnecessary?

He's probably hosed in the long run anyway if he'd rather take on debt than be slightly unhappy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug
He's not completely off base with his wishes, hopes, and dreams, right up to the point where he thinks funding them with a $5k loan is a good idea.

Take a summer off before "real life" starts? Sure, why the gently caress not...wait, you can't afford it? Well guess what, real life started early for you.

My slow decline into cranky old-manhood is accelerating I guess.