Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Even then, FF6 is infamously a game where you can make any enemy vulnerable to instant death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Congrats ssmagus and Kliff! :)

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

You'd be surprised how many classic JRPGs have status ailments and instant death spells that actually work but go ignored by the player. FF4, 6 and 7 teach horrible habits.

Statuses do work in a lot of JRPGs. It's just that in many cases, the really useful ones (e.g., Stop/Stun, Silence, Darkness) don't work, so you're better off cranking more damage than using the lesser things like Slow or Sap.

I mean, even here in FF5 , it's really not that important in a normal game where you've got Coin Toss, dual-wielding X-Fight, summons and so on at your fingertips. They just shine in challenges like this because you're intentionally locked out of the most broken ways to combine jobs.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Welp, I jumped the gun and decided, hey, I've never actually triple crowned before! In addition, I've never gone through the bonus GBA dungeon as well! So whats the most deliciously OP team I can run to do that under fairly normal (team 750) rules?

I ended up with Blue Mage / Time Mage / Bard / Chemist. (Yeah I know I technically need Thief and Beastmaster for the temple but I'll temp sub in their skills when necessary). Goal is to also triple crown "legitly" (which means no berserk / quick leak / lvl 5 death shenanigans). I'll still start a run and job fair to that team so at least some money goes to a good place.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Feldegast42 posted:

I ended up with Blue Mage / Time Mage / Bard / Chemist. (Yeah I know I technically need Thief and Beastmaster for the temple but I'll temp sub in their skills when necessary). Goal is to also triple crown "legitly" (which means no berserk / quick leak / lvl 5 death shenanigans). I'll still start a run and job fair to that team so at least some money goes to a good place.

If !Mix is legal, I don't see why Berserk shouldn't be. It's a valid strategy that the game legitimately intends you to use on Shinryu, unlike other bosses - most bosses have an immunity of it that you'd have to use !Mix to bypass, but Shin does not.

That's like saying "I want to defeat Omega without using !Sing" when that's more or less the intended method.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

KataraniSword posted:

If !Mix is legal, I don't see why Berserk shouldn't be. It's a valid strategy that the game legitimately intends you to use on Shinryu, unlike other bosses - most bosses have an immunity of it that you'd have to use !Mix to bypass, but Shin does not.

That's like saying "I want to defeat Omega without using !Sing" when that's more or less the intended method.

Similarly, declaring death by math off the table is dragondarchy as gently caress nonsense because the immunity to death bypass is hard-coded into the ability.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Kyrosiris posted:

Similarly, declaring death by math off the table is dragondarchy as gently caress nonsense because the immunity to death bypass is hard-coded into the ability.

I mean, I'd say Death By Mathing Omega/Shin is kind of not kosher anyway, but that's less because it's bad and more because it's actually harder than doing things the intended way. It's like trying to do skateboard tricks on skis. Is it really worth it?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

KataraniSword posted:

I mean, I'd say Death By Mathing Omega/Shin is kind of not kosher anyway, but that's less because it's bad and more because it's actually harder than doing things the intended way. It's like trying to do skateboard tricks on skis. Is it really worth it?

Oh, well yeah, that's fair. Omega is literally impossible, and Shin is just a matter of shoving dragon powers down his throat.

But man is using Level 5 Death in ridiculous situations fun as hell.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
!calm working on him you can argue is a bug, sure, bug omega specifically has a flag where he can't avoid stop. serenade the robot with song

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Kyrosiris posted:

Oh, well yeah, that's fair. Omega is literally impossible, and Shin is just a matter of shoving dragon powers down his throat.

But man is using Level 5 Death in ridiculous situations fun as hell.
Can you not level Omega up to 255 if you Dragon Power him enough? And L5 death him that way, I mean. Not that I'd ever thought of trying.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Can you not level Omega up to 255 if you Dragon Power him enough? And L5 death him that way, I mean. Not that I'd ever thought of trying.

I think L5 Death respects reflect, meaning you can't actually tag him even if the level is right.

I know the other Math Magics (L2 Old, L3 Flare, L4 Graviga) bounce off a reflect, so there's no reason L5 Death wouldn't.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

KataraniSword posted:

I think L5 Death respects reflect, meaning you can't actually tag him even if the level is right.

I know the other Math Magics (L2 Old, L3 Flare, L4 Graviga) bounce off a reflect, so there's no reason L5 Death wouldn't.

It does respect reflect. Moreover, the spell cannot target your own party, meaning you can't have it bounce off your own reflect.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Man, that Exdeath fight in World 2 was tense as hell!

I'm not sure how much farther I have to go, but I have the day off so I'm sure I'll play way too much of this today and try to finish it up so I can give some poor bastard another berserker.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Man, that Exdeath fight in World 2 was tense as hell!

I'm not sure how much farther I have to go, but I have the day off so I'm sure I'll play way too much of this today and try to finish it up so I can give some poor bastard another berserker.

if you dont bother with the sidequests world three is extremely short. you can dive into the endgame basically after one dungeon

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Feldegast42 posted:

I'll throw in $5 if you kill Omega with Goblin Punch.

KataraniSword posted:

Leaving aside the legitimacy argument, I can see where Feldegast is coming from. Using !Mix defensively still requires you to understand Shinryu's attack routine, while Berserk completely undermines the fight's fairly sophisticated mechanics. Neither approach is particularly difficult, but the former is a lot more interesting.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

fits posted:

if you dont bother with the sidequests world three is extremely short. you can dive into the endgame basically after one dungeon

Ah, awesome, I was worried I wouldn't be able to get through it.

For the pledge drive, do I only need to beat the final boss, or do you have to do the optional bosses too? I'll probably give them a try anyway just for the hell of it, but I wanted to make sure.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

For the pledge drive, do I only need to beat the final boss, or do you have to do the optional bosses too? I'll probably give them a try anyway just for the hell of it, but I wanted to make sure.

You just have to beat NED. I mean, if you want to you can also beat the other two, but NED is all that's needed.

Speaking of which! Since it's already (almost) Friday (at least in my timezone) and The Run starts in less than two days, I'm going to check I didn't miss anyone who partecipated in my toxx.

So far I have derra, Supremezero, Samuel Clemens, ZiegeDame, Dwall, plot.lost, Huzzah!, Detheros, ssmagus, and Kliff. Did I miss anyone? If I did, please be kind and direct me to the relevant post. Thanks!

KharlanTree
Aug 21, 2014

Zerk zerk zerk zerk zerk
You see me I be
Zerk zerk zerk zerk zerk

Mikl posted:

You just have to beat NED. I mean, if you want to you can also beat the other two, but NED is all that's needed.

Speaking of which! Since it's already (almost) Friday (at least in my timezone) and The Run starts in less than two days, I'm going to check I didn't miss anyone who partecipated in my toxx.

So far I have derra, Supremezero, Samuel Clemens, ZiegeDame, Dwall, plot.lost, Huzzah!, Detheros, ssmagus, and Kliff. Did I miss anyone? If I did, please be kind and direct me to the relevant post. Thanks!

I just wanna let you know I am working on mine, I am at Pyramid of Moore right now, so I'll let you know when I finish!

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Samuel Clemens posted:

I'll throw in $5 if you kill Omega with Goblin Punch.

I am sad that I've never actually done this.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Kyrosiris posted:

No time like the present.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

ultrafilter posted:

No time like the present.

Yeah, if I get Blue Mage and Chemist I'll make it happen. I might also reprise my quad skulls on NED.

KharlanTree
Aug 21, 2014

Zerk zerk zerk zerk zerk
You see me I be
Zerk zerk zerk zerk zerk
Alright, Mikl, here we go!

NED almost wiped me with a double Almagest near the end, but luckily my dragoon jumped afterwards and landed the finishing blow! This was fun and I'm glas I finished in time. :)

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

KharlanTree posted:

Alright, Mikl, here we go!

NED almost wiped me with a double Almagest near the end, but luckily my dragoon jumped afterwards and landed the finishing blow! This was fun and I'm glas I finished in time. :)

That's Basch Count: 1

The run looks like it'll be a fun bit of chaos

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

What's the way to kill Omega with The Run characters? I'm totally drawing a blank.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Doom Goon posted:

What's the way to kill Omega with The Run characters? I'm totally drawing a blank.

3 on !calm while your berserker takes him down with the rune axe.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
https://twitter.com/FF5ForFutures/status/875536909820346369

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

dis astranagant posted:

3 on !calm while your berserker takes him down with the rune axe.
Wow, you learn something new... after three years.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

Okay I made a patch of the FFT portraits thing I was working on. (Credits to the ffhacktics community; I did very little drawing myself on these, to be clear.)

It .. seems to work fine.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Mikl posted:

Alright, here goes! Third time entering the Fiesta, and hopefully second time finishing. Random run, as last year.

And to make this more fun:

:toxx: I'll be watering the Berserker tree at the tune of $10 for each goon-completed run using The Run's jobs, between them being officially announced and The Run starting. (Once per goon, no total upper limit) :toxx:

Get those runs in :getin:
:homebrew:
I hope to do three runs this year: this one, the official (I picked chaos 'zerker), and then I desperately want to try Can Of Worms's Randomizer hack (which I'm hoping will catch on).

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

My white mage got zombie'd in the pyramid and I had to do the entire dungeon without her because it turns out I never noticed holy waters in any of the item shops. And of course now that I'm finished, the town nearby has no item shop for some reason.

:negative:

Could have been worse, I guess, at least she had the healing rod equipped. Also monsters seemed to really like targeting her, so it honestly wasn't that bad aside from being slow as hell.

About to see if I can do this boss fight without a healer I guess.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

My white mage got zombie'd in the pyramid and I had to do the entire dungeon without her because it turns out I never noticed holy waters in any of the item shops. And of course now that I'm finished, the town nearby has no item shop for some reason.

:negative:

Could have been worse, I guess, at least she had the healing rod equipped. Also monsters seemed to really like targeting her, so it honestly wasn't that bad aside from being slow as hell.

About to see if I can do this boss fight without a healer I guess.

Check the Inn

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Zerker risk people can breathe a bit easier. It it still a guaranteed zerk, but there are a lot less guaranteed seconds!

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Sax Solo posted:

Okay I made a patch of the FFT portraits thing I was working on. (Credits to the ffhacktics community; I did very little drawing myself on these, to be clear.)

Awesome. I hope someone posts a example photo of how this looks ingame.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Huzzah! posted:

Check the Inn

Haha dammit, I was just looking for the shop symbol and didn't see it. Oh well, managed to beat the boss without it anyway.

I'm about to do Fork Tower, this is gonna be...interesting.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Kyrosiris posted:

Might as well make it an official offer.

:toxx: I pledge $5 for every player who kills Omega using Goblin Punch. No upper limit.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Sax Solo posted:

Awesome work!

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Khisanth Magus posted:

Zerker risk people can breathe a bit easier. It it still a guaranteed zerk, but there are a lot less guaranteed seconds!

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

lol you guys are amazing.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Good man/woman/other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Wanted to see if I could try Omega, but uhm, does the Tame thing only work in the GBA version or something? It doesn't appear to do anything to him on SNES, and if that doesn't work I'm not sure how this fight would be possible.

• Locked thread