Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
I feel like other than Spain and its awesome little town, the rest of the stages are kinda missing their 'wow' sections. Wales had that ending section where you come down into the quarry-ish bit and Monte Carlo had those awesome tunnels. Hopefully they can just patch in new sections of track and stuff as they develop.

What I'd now kill for is the ability to walk/preview a stage a bit more and work out or own pacenotes. Then if they want to be super awesome, let us record our own audio for the calls. I want a Mister T co-driver.

It'd also help with their translations if the community could make their own co-driver audio packs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
Is it too late to ask about DR? Got it in a recent bundle. Played it for 50 hours, probably the best racing game I've ever tried. Two things bug me though:
- why is the Alpine in the 60s class? It's faster than even all of the 70s I think
- why the gently caress is Sweden in the game? Every other event has something going for it, some fun characteristic or surface change but here it's just staring at a narrow road with two giant snow piles at both sides. 3s and 4s ad nauseam, no fun hairpins, it's about as fun as driving on the snow in real life (which is goddamn miserable).

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus

Terminally Bored posted:

Is it too late to ask about DR? Got it in a recent bundle. Played it for 50 hours, probably the best racing game I've ever tried. Two things bug me though:
- why is the Alpine in the 60s class? It's faster than even all of the 70s I think
- why the gently caress is Sweden in the game? Every other event has something going for it, some fun characteristic or surface change but here it's just staring at a narrow road with two giant snow piles at both sides. 3s and 4s ad nauseam, no fun hairpins, it's about as fun as driving on the snow in real life (which is goddamn miserable).

1: Yeah its dumb. Its been bumped to the 70's class in Dirt4. Still one of my favorite cars for a joyride though.
2: Each to their own. Sweden is one of my favorites, especially in a high power/twitchy car. Blasting through that 5 left right section on that massive straight fully sideways at 150+ kph is one of the best things in DR to me.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Dirt 4 doesn't have the historics split by year, instead it's by speed class. So I think the Alpine is in the H3 RWD class with the Stratos.

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus

njsykora posted:

Dirt 4 doesn't have the historics split by year, instead it's by speed class. So I think the Alpine is in the H3 RWD class with the Stratos.

The Alpine is in the H2 RWD class along with all the 70's cars from DR, except the Stratos which was bumped to H3 RWD class with the E30 and Sierra Cosworth etc.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

Testing out a guy doing tunes for dirt 4 by checking some stuff they did in dirt rally just now and it's got me thinking about all kinds of poo poo. Here is a video that was posted on reddit where I first encountered them. Has some good info about tuning in dirt 4.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9f7Ney_PuM&t=313s

Franconen (has some well rated setups on the workshop) has the wales fiesta rs rally setup with a stiffer front anti-roll than rear where as this gab on dirt guy has the softer front stiffer rear oversteer setup. I set some good times with franconen's tunes while playing dirt rally but just now, out of practice, I was within .5 s of a PB with an off that cost a few seconds.

Their tunes are quite different on a bunch of things. I don't know enough about tuning to discern anything from the setup sliders but driving them it feels like franconen's is more stable at high speed but doesn't pull itself around low/mid speed corners as much as gab's. They both turn in well but gab's really pulls its nose in during corners where as franconen's needs a little more turn in or slight weight transfer mid corner sometimes. I guess if their setups are consistant with their anti-roll settings that makes sense.

Putting this stuff into words has made me realise I should probably keep driving the two setups and compare their settings to really learn what everything does. I loathe the tuning part of these games but the practical effects of the setups has got me a bit excited to figure some of this poo poo out.

Would love it if anyone that knows about this stuff could check their setups out and give their thoughts.

L_Harrison
May 22, 2007

Xbox version confirmed to be full of scrubs.

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus

L_Harrison posted:

Xbox version confirmed to be full of scrubs.

Nice one. I thought the leaderboards was supposed to be cross platform on Dirt 4 but i guess not. Are there many players using sim handling on xbox?

L_Harrison
May 22, 2007
^ It is. I just have the cross-platform leaderboard turned off. I'm not sure how many use Sim, but it's way less than Gamer.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Honestly, my biggest gripe so far is that I absolutely despise the R2 cars. I just completed the Dirtfish Graduation rally event and I was cursing that little Opel the entire time because I cannot stand how it and the Fiesta handle with their horrible, horrible tendency to understeer and snap straight at any given moment :argh:

Other than that, I'm really digging DiRT 4 so far. Love the presentation, love the way it feels and sounds, and the little touches like the quadcopters hovering over the track are absolutely great. As soon as I can afford a Group A car I don't think i'll have another bad thing to say about this game :v:

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

T1g4h posted:

As soon as I can afford a Group A car I don't think i'll have another bad thing to say about this game :v:

Just you wait, they understeer like crazy too. You can try to dial it out but I've yet to find them enjoyable to drive.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a major patch for D4, because at the moment I've given up and gone back to DR. There are things I like about the D4 physics (the sense of weight is appreciated), but I'm just not having the kind of fun drifting through turns like I have DR.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

How to fix understeer in group A: ebrake

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
Having not driven in snow before, I can only assume this simulation is accurate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3NZje2aMHo

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Wooper posted:

Having not driven in snow before, I can only assume this simulation is accurate.

I don't get it.

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE
So I had an older rig that couldn't really play DR well so I didn't buy it. Just built a new 1070 rig and I'm wondering if I should bother with Dr or just buy D4

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
BOTH

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

Norns posted:

How to fix understeer in group A: ebrake

its always cool when the emergency brake actually saves you in emergencies even if it means powersliding 90 degrees so you dont hit the wall but lose all momentum

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE

Are they that different?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

AcidRonin posted:

Are they that different?

It makes me uncomfortable you are using one of my profile images from another site.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.

ilmucche posted:

I don't get it.

Snow in this game is poo poo from a butt.

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

Norns posted:

It makes me uncomfortable you are using one of my profile images from another site.

AQUABURRY GRILLLLLL

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Wooper posted:

Thank you so much for this video. Watching it actually helped me a lot with learning how to get better at Dirt 4.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

I only got Dirt Rally yesterday (for VR partly) and on the first Rally championship I managed the top 3 - but every time I try Rallycross I end up dead last. How do I do better?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

cargohills posted:

I only got Dirt Rally yesterday (for VR partly) and on the first Rally championship I managed the top 3 - but every time I try Rallycross I end up dead last. How do I do better?

Practice, upgrade car. All the AI cars are always fully upgraded, so don't expect to be top level in every championship on first try because you're gonna be down on power usually.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Do you guys think you do better with VR?

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
I got a downhill call-out in the Spanish city why isn't this used more...

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Uncle Jam posted:

I got a downhill call-out in the Spanish city why isn't this used more...

THIS.

A left 4 that's downhill with a guard rail that happens to me all the time that needs a downhill call with it.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
What are some of your guys fav corner combos?

That left 4 right 3... deceptive in Australia is a good one.
But I also like the left 4 right 4 in Sweden where the left 4 really should be a 3. I got that one chained together 3 times in a row once.

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
The 5 left right left triple combo in Spain springs to mind. Fast but also kinda tricky. I also like the 2 into 1 taken as a double apex single turn, also in Spain.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

I like any big sweeping downhill into a uphill. The ones to can feel your suspension bottom out on.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Yeah anything through a dip is fantastic. Using all that extra downforce feels great.
Conversely, anything over a crest that sends me flying into the treetops can go take a hike.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYbUv2Lopm8

Foggy conditions in this game are so crazy to race in. Also, forgive the music, I forgot that by default it's enabled in replays :v:

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

DR on sale on steam for 19 bux!

L_Harrison
May 22, 2007
This game seems to be an ad against Ford. I've had the engine light come on 3 times in my Focus in the Global Rally Series championship.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Jesus christ, the 2001 Impreza is a bit of a monster. I won one from one of the early rally championships and it's just absolutely annihilating the Up to 2000cc class races. It almost feels like I don't even have to try when i'm driving this thing, it just rips :h:

Coming from my Group A Evo VI and my NR4 Impreza, it's like a whole different league of fast.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

The Subarus grew on me. Mostly because I can't drive a lancia in every class.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Norns posted:

I can't drive a lancia in every class.

It's a drat shame.

PatRichCapone
Sep 24, 2003

*scoffs* *meows*
Dear Codemasters

Please add the following course to D4:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRg5Sp1iQMc

Yours Sincerely,

PatRichCapone

:whatup: :q:

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

PatRichCapone posted:

Dear Codemasters

Please add the following course to D4:

"This corner feels good, flat out", *brain squidges out of ear hole into that little gap between the seat and the door you can never get change back out of*

That sounds like a great idea, if they could get the rights to it. Include that Subaru, along with some other time trial cars. Mine's Lancer and Skyline maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

I'd like hand crafted tracks to go along with the random ones.

• Locked thread