Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

nm posted:

I'm pretty sure that here (California) with the advent of pay at the pump, the pumps are always on and have been for a decade plus. Maybe they're from California or some other civilized place.

Yeah I was thinking this too. A lot of gas station lobbies/kiosks never close, but even for those that do the pumps usually operate 24 hours a day. I can't remember even a single time in my life that I have seen gas pumps closed at night unless they were broken.

I guess California is just more civilized.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Reporting that NY has the same thing confirming that the story originates from a hell holes like Kentucky or Ohio.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i suspect that automated pumps aren't used in rural hellscapes because the locals would try to smash them open.

berth ell pup
Mar 20, 2017

I am a business magnet.
They have some pumps here at Exxon I think that take cash now.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I know a guy who owns a bunch of gas stations.
This is a funny, oblivious customer story.

Gas was at about $2.50/gallon. and whoever was setting gas prices for the day keyed in an error so it was ringing up at $8.75/gallon. It was on the electric marquee even. About 20 minutes later, a customer comes in and says that he thinks the gas prices are off. Yep, whoops, of course they are, let's fix them so you can buy your gas and be on your way.

They checked the sales logs (and then cameras), and saw that someone had gone to a self service pump during that 20 minutes and was completely oblivious to the cost. She was driving in some luxury convertible, and appeared to be rich enough not to care about whether it cost $30 or $130 to fill up on gas. Just filled up on her nearly $9/gallon gas and drove off on her merry way. :homebrew:

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

This title text is surprisingly sturdy.

canyoneer posted:

I know a guy who owns a bunch of gas stations.
This is a funny, oblivious customer story.

Gas was at about $2.50/gallon. and whoever was setting gas prices for the day keyed in an error so it was ringing up at $8.75/gallon. It was on the electric marquee even. About 20 minutes later, a customer comes in and says that he thinks the gas prices are off. Yep, whoops, of course they are, let's fix them so you can buy your gas and be on your way.

They checked the sales logs (and then cameras), and saw that someone had gone to a self service pump during that 20 minutes and was completely oblivious to the cost. She was driving in some luxury convertible, and appeared to be rich enough not to care about whether it cost $30 or $130 to fill up on gas. Just filled up on her nearly $9/gallon gas and drove off on her merry way. :homebrew:

Automated pumps are a thing where I live but unless it's a Wawa most of the stations around here close around 11 or so.
In respect to your quote though, one of the fairly affluent towns around here there's a BP that regularly gets away with gouging rich dummies $1-1.50 more than the Shell literally across the street. There are always the same number of people at both.

walgreenslatino
Jun 2, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
When I worked at FYE after high school, this one guy used to come in every single day and take every single horror movie off the wall shelf. Then he'd arrange them on the floor and, over the course of several hours, decide which movie he wanted to buy. Then he'd leave the rest on the floor, buy his one DVD, and leave. Our manager wouldn't let us stop him because he always bought something.

berth ell pup
Mar 20, 2017

I am a business magnet.

Starman Super DX posted:

Automated pumps are a thing where I live but unless it's a Wawa most of the stations around here close around 11 or so.
In respect to your quote though, one of the fairly affluent towns around here there's a BP that regularly gets away with gouging rich dummies $1-1.50 more than the Shell literally across the street. There are always the same number of people at both.

It's like "You dum-dums!! This gas is too expensive on a cashier's pay!!" You know?? Right?

To be fair...
Feb 3, 2006
Film Producer
I worked at Blockbuster Video for about a year or so while I was in high school.

I used to give away those free rentals things to people as tips / currency as I made no money. A nice tow truck dude? "Here, have like 15 free rentals." I'm not sure why they left those next to the register. You know, the ones that said something akin to "sorry we didn't have movie you wanted in, the next is free!"

Also, sleeping on the job was pretty funny. Overworked for a high schooler I would routinely work past 10pm which was illegal here, iirc. When I asked the manager to cut my hours back because I wasn't sleeping enough, she said "That's why you were hired." My response: "I'm 16 and I'm not supposed to work past 10 so.." *shrug* didn't have to work late any more.

I supposed the best part was figuring out how to never pay late fees again since if a movie was found on the shelf, it was considered BB's fault and it would be instantly zeroed out. All you had to do was sneak the rental back in and put it on the shelf.

I wonder what ever happened to Blockbuster anyway...

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Meiers Goldbrick posted:

I worked at Blockbuster Video for about a year or so while I was in high school.

I used to give away those free rentals things to people as tips / currency as I made no money. A nice tow truck dude? "Here, have like 15 free rentals." I'm not sure why they left those next to the register. You know, the ones that said something akin to "sorry we didn't have movie you wanted in, the next is free!"

Also, sleeping on the job was pretty funny. Overworked for a high schooler I would routinely work past 10pm which was illegal here, iirc. When I asked the manager to cut my hours back because I wasn't sleeping enough, she said "That's why you were hired." My response: "I'm 16 and I'm not supposed to work past 10 so.." *shrug* didn't have to work late any more.

I supposed the best part was figuring out how to never pay late fees again since if a movie was found on the shelf, it was considered BB's fault and it would be instantly zeroed out. All you had to do was sneak the rental back in and put it on the shelf.

I wonder what ever happened to Blockbuster anyway...

http://www.theonion.com/video/historic-blockbuster-store-offers-glimpse-of-how-m-14233

It's in the past now

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

When I worked in the Wal-Mart photo lab we saw the funniest poo poo come in on film.

One time we had a lady drop a roll of film that was her kid's first birthday party, pretty normal and wholesome. About half way through the roll the photos start looking like they are being shot in a bedroom. Yup, there she goes taking her top off. Best part was that this lady actually worked in our store! That was awkward giving her back half a developed pack of film (we weren't allowed to print anything with nudity or obscene/gore. We had to slip in a piece of paper saying "Unfortunately some photos were against our policy to print").

Another co-worker at the time had a girl probably early 20s, hopefully older teens, come in and again, half the roll was nudes. Hand them a slip of paper all the while trying to hide that smirk of "our entire department has seen you nude".

The worst was when the kids were obviously children, we got on the phone right quick with the police. First couple of times our managers got pissed but gently caress that, this is getting reported.

We also had a pretty hardcore vegetarian on our staff who would absolutely refuse and shame customers if they brought in photos with dead animals / trophy kills. Lots of severed deer heads.

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

Gutter Phoenix posted:

I worked at a gas station for a couple of months during my early twenties, and although I have some generic stories about lovely customers, most of the memorable ones revolve around a crazy co-worker I had. Jeff was about my age, and had been in a terrible car accident as a teenager where he'd suffered major brain damage. He was a nice enough guy, but something was just sort of... off about him. He was always very intense, and would say and do strange things all the time, yet act as if his words and actions were perfectly reasonable.

Sounds like frontal lobe damage. Often results in problems with impulse control.

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

berth ell pup posted:

It's like "You dum-dums!! This gas is too expensive on a cashier's pay!!" You know?? Right?

:confused: idgi. I thought most people wouldn't want to pay that much more per gallon if they didn't to. I mean a couple cents sure, but a dollar seems like a lot to me idk :shrug:

EcoBlue
Jan 1, 2008

Starman Super DX posted:

:confused: idgi. I thought most people wouldn't want to pay that much more per gallon if they didn't to. I mean a couple cents sure, but a dollar seems like a lot to me idk :shrug:

I bet if you go to the expensive station you can avoid seeing poors

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
Even with all the lovely customers, the thing I hated most about those jobs is the corporate culture demanding everyone to be standing all the time. If I'm behind a counter ringing up poo poo I should be able to sit on a stool. Standing here for hours is loving stupid.

DemonDarkhorse
Nov 5, 2011

It's probably not tobacco. You just need to start wiping front-to-back from now on.

FactsAreUseless posted:

We ran a small Facebook page for the store, but as a person, not a page, so our boss - a 65-year-old Brooklynite who looked like a tiny shriveled Mario and had gotten out of the construction game decades earlier because "I could tell Reagan would gently caress it up," and once posed nude for a story about the store in a local paper - could refuse friend requests from customers he disliked.

someone set up a myspace for the store. everyone assumed it was me since i was the resident rear end in a top hat, but it wasn't. i did have the password to the account and posted things regularly, though.

customer one dropped such a large deuce in one of the men's room toilets that our manager took a polaroid picture (im not sure why the store had a polaroid camera in 2010) of it and showed it to everyone.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

new phone who dis posted:

Even with all the lovely customers, the thing I hated most about those jobs is the corporate culture demanding everyone to be standing all the time. If I'm behind a counter ringing up poo poo I should be able to sit on a stool. Standing here for hours is loving stupid.

if you can lean you can clean

CaptainBtaksDad
Jun 3, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

new phone who dis posted:

lose some weight, your knees and feet won't hurt just from standing. Exercise some too, couldn't hurt.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

CaptainBtaksDad posted:

lose some weight, your knees and feet won't hurt just from standing. Exercise some too, couldn't hurt.

The difference between someone who is in-shape and someone who is out of shape is that an out of shape person's feet and legs are killing them after 2 or 3 hours, whereas an in-shape person is feeling it at the 7th hour of standing and walking around a concrete floor all day.

No matter what, it gets you.

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

canyoneer posted:

The difference between someone who is in-shape and someone who is out of shape is that an out of shape person's feet and legs are killing them after 2 or 3 hours, whereas an in-shape person is feeling it at the 7th hour of standing and walking around a concrete floor all day.

Word. Rubber floor mats also make a world of difference, even if you're in shape.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

canyoneer posted:

pain only makes the after-work weed taste all the sweeter

berth ell pup
Mar 20, 2017

I am a business magnet.
ikd i read it like dennis in always sunny babbling about dumdums.

never in my entire life, in travelling all over the eastern United States from huge cities to small towns. I have never seen gas that was a dollar more than anywhere else, not even in the densest, expensive downtown areas. Maybe up to 30 or 40 cents more than a "good" price for unleaded but never anything approaching $1. Basically I don't believe you

EcoBlue posted:

I bet if you go to the expensive station you can avoid seeing poors

also this is why i go to the publix next to kroger and not kroger. im not even remotely rich but idiot poors with too many kids is unpleasant to see if you dont have to, and there's less of those at publix.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

DemonDarkhorse posted:

someone set up a myspace for the store. everyone assumed it was me since i was the resident rear end in a top hat, but it wasn't. i did have the password to the account and posted things regularly, though.

customer one dropped such a large deuce in one of the men's room toilets that our manager took a polaroid picture (im not sure why the store had a polaroid camera in 2010) of it and showed it to everyone.
lmao

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

canyoneer posted:

Being tall and standing for a long time hurts my lower back. I'm far from fat, too. I'd rather be running than just standing for hours. And I don't really enjoy running.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Gutter Phoenix posted:

Jeff would only drink scalding-hot water

He was also obsessed with Charlotte Coffey from the Go-Go's

He carded her and stared at her ID for a full ten seconds

Have you been digging through Wes Anderson's trash?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

berth ell pup posted:

never in my entire life, in travelling all over the eastern United States from huge cities to small towns. I have never seen gas that was a dollar more than anywhere else, not even in the densest, expensive downtown areas. Maybe up to 30 or 40 cents more than a "good" price for unleaded but never anything approaching $1. Basically I don't believe you

Hey look what took me 30 seconds to find

I mean, 84 cents isn't a dollar but y'know.

Here's nearly a dollar by the Portland Airport.

And an infamous Shell station near Disney World

You should pay more attention when travelling all over the United States to gas prices if you want to win GBS arguments.

berth ell pup
Mar 20, 2017

I am a business magnet.

Gutter Phoenix posted:

He was also obsessed with Charlotte Coffey from the Go-Go's (this was about 1999, by the way). He was heartbroken and angry when he saw an episode of "Behind the Music" that intimated she was no longer a virgin.

was being a virgin one of their gimmicks? i remember reading a long explanation someone had written a long time ago about about how "our lips are sealed" was supposed to be about being a virgin but i dismissed it as the work of a crackpot weirdo/autist.

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

Starman Super DX posted:

What is it with these ridiculous sounding post-millennial names? Like, "Gavin" and "Xandir" and "Braedan". I'm sure I've heard some others too
Gavin is a real, old-school name, albeit one that's just asking for a swirlie, but 100% of "creative" white people names sound really stupid when shouted in public. "BRINDLEY. BRINDLEY, YOU ARE NOT MAKING GOOD CHOICES RIGHT NOW. BRINDLEY GET BACK HERE." I learned this working bourgie specialty retail.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).

Marv Hushman posted:

Have you been digging through Wes Anderson's trash?

What the gently caress are you taking about?

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).

berth ell pup posted:

was being a virgin one of their gimmicks? i remember reading a long explanation someone had written a long time ago about about how "our lips are sealed" was supposed to be about being a virgin but i dismissed it as the work of a crackpot weirdo/autist.

What? This is Charlotte Coffey's band before th eGo-Go's, FYI:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryMQ4rcAEZs

She also wrote these two songs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuJHx1yplIM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3kQlzOi27M

berth ell pup
Mar 20, 2017

I am a business magnet.

Yeah I'm familiar with their work and was aware of their origins I just i guess didnt get what your point was in the original post? not trying to be a dick here

Fuckface the Hedgehog
Jun 12, 2007

spite house posted:

Gavin is a real, old-school name, albeit one that's just asking for a swirlie, but 100% of "creative" white people names sound really stupid when shouted in public. "BRINDLEY. BRINDLEY, YOU ARE NOT MAKING GOOD CHOICES RIGHT NOW. BRINDLEY GET BACK HERE." I learned this working bourgie specialty retail.

The most important thing in naming a kid is that its easy and doesnt sound dumb as gently caress to shout in public or from the front of the car.

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

berth ell pup posted:

lol believe what you what, my man, it's no skin off my rear end.

spite house posted:

Nah Gavin was admittedly a little less than fair. That's just one that I hear one of my regulars use so it's what stuck out to me I guess. Maybe what bugs me about it is that they sound like the names of older people and it seems weird to me to call a child something so formal sounding without at least using a nickname or somethin'.

Also, what is it with parents that just let their kids run around and displace poo poo without pulling them aside and telling them to knock it off? Saw that one again at the post office today.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Gutter Phoenix posted:

What the gently caress are you taking about?

I realize this is all true, but it reads like WA trying to create one of his stock offbeat characters and wadding up the result.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

I work at a mail order pharmacy. This guy didn't like taking 5 20mg generic viagra tablets and had his doctor write him an rx for the 100mg brand, explicitly telling the doc he knew the price and wants it anyways. 120 of the 20mg generics are like twenty bucks, vs $60+ for 1 100mg brand tablet. They told him to call the pharmacy of his choice to order it and check on the details of his order. The dude orders it online, and puts a message in the order comment box saying that he wants the brand and will pay any cost and to send it. We have a few different stops put in place to catch ridiculous priced medications so we can confirm they want to pay the price before we bill their card and ship the med, but he said any price so $493 bucks and 8 tablets went out the door.

The guy emails the doctor saying he's in his room on the floor crying because he just checked his bank account and HAS to return it for a refund lol of course he was denied because he was pretty adamant about paying any price. We spent the rest of the day coming up with boner puns

When he calls back we'll be sure to get him up... To our manager
The high price really put him in a hard place
Looks like he really got shafted on this one
I'm not sure if we can do a refund on this off the top of my head

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

canyoneer posted:

And an infamous Shell station near Disney World

You should pay more attention when travelling all over the United States to gas prices if you want to win GBS arguments.

What the gently caress is going on here?
Three gas stations nearer to the freeway and one closer to disney world are like half the price (and less than a mile). Who the gently caress is buying that gas?

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

nm posted:

What the gently caress is going on here?
Three gas stations nearer to the freeway and one closer to disney world are like half the price (and less than a mile). Who the gently caress is buying that gas?

That's what makes cayoneer's first post about the lady in the convertible so amazing and distills the point that, if money truly, absolutely, is not a problem for you, price is literally no object, nor is it even an abstract concept worth thinking about unless it's about putting another wing in their manor. But, hey, wish i could say the same for myself, obviously.

Politics aside, the point is whenever someone says "who the gently caress is paying for this?" Most of the time, someone is.
ex. A $300 juice press.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Starman Super DX posted:

That's what makes cayoneer's first post about the lady in the convertible so amazing and distills the point that, if money truly, absolutely, is not a problem for you, price is literally no object, nor is it even an abstract concept worth thinking about unless it's about putting another wing in their manor. But, hey, wish i could say the same for myself, obviously.

Politics aside, the point is whenever someone says "who the gently caress is paying for this?" Most of the time, someone is.
ex. A $300 juice press.

Like even the really rich people (for a example guy who owns a condo in that sinking tower in SF and doesn't seem to care because he has a bunch of other houses) I know wouldn't pay double just on principle. Because gently caress that.

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

nm posted:

Like even the really rich people (for a example guy who owns a condo in that sinking tower in SF and doesn't seem to care because he has a bunch of other houses) I know wouldn't pay double just on principle. Because gently caress that.

That's definitely a sentiment I agree with. idk if that other guy was taking a shot at me and apologies if not, but like, I'm pretty bad with money but I still have the natural inclination to save a few bucks by taking a sale price or picking the cheaper option here and there just because I think that's a good habit to have. Being thrifty shouldn't really be based on income.
If nothing else, I just find it funny when recommending people beer and I think to mention price as a factor, and sometimes they might react and other times they just stare at me like a deer in the headlights, unable to compute such a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Automatonic Water
Jul 8, 2012

dig thru the ditches
and burn thru the witches
and slam in the back of my.........
.........DRAGULA

Yams Fan

canyoneer posted:

This is true, I was skinny and walked back and forth a couple miles to work every day during my time in retail, and my poo poo was completely destroyed after every 9-10 hour day of supervising the front end. I actually preferred the positions in the store where I was walking from place to place / lifting things all day, didn't seem to be as hard on the hips, knees, and feet.

I appreciate this thread because I worked three years in retail, ending only a few months ago, and yet it's hard for me to recall almost anything about it. Grocery is a hosed up, crazy business by the way. I'm lucky I got out of there, without a degree or any marketable skills, and into an office job where I sit in a chair for 8 hours in an air conditioned environment and "good morning" is often the only thing I say to anyone all day.

• Locked thread