Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'm increasingly of the opinion that if you stick to the rules in boxing you're a chump, which is a real 180 from me normally insisting on fair play until I sound like some screeching sperg.

Edit: McGregor by standing guillotine.

https://youtu.be/tbxsg04htf4

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jun 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

A good lad who likes his Anna's.

I.N.R.I posted:

cant win them all

49 - 0

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
I love cheating and think bernard hopkins is not only the greatest fighter but also the greatest human

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
Exhibit 69: Bernard Hopkins' entire career.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
I've deduced that in order to beat a crafty old man Conor McGregor needs to be able to hit insanely hard while being one of the best boxers on the planet. Suggest dressing GGG up in a fashionable beard. Irelike!

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

[Keven voice] No need.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

it's possible mick mcguinness gets in a lucky shot and knocks him out in the sense that it's also possible that i could find a box full of money and never have to work again a day in my life

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Guys whatever happened to parachute fan man? Could he make a surprise appearance in the 2nd round so that the whole thing gets called off?

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

Rubellavator posted:

Guys whatever happened to parachute fan man? Could he make a surprise appearance in the 2nd round so that the whole thing gets called off?

Homeboy killed himself

RecoomesSexyRear
Jul 18, 2003

I hope Mayweather wins big

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
I hope this fight falls through after everyone realises how stupid it is. Ideally on fight week.

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/BrendanSchaub/status/875429014596337664

lol

cams
Mar 28, 2003

i would need some advantage to put money on conor winning a single round.

that's a good betting line imo

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

It's very possible Conor wins the first round for no other reason than Floyd sitting back to time his punches

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I just don't think Conor has the ability to one hit KO him with the 10oz gloves the way he does with the 4oz ones. That's his only path to victory because :lol: at the thought of him point fighting Floyd Mayweather.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Paging jase1

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Mr. Nice! posted:

I just don't think Conor has the ability to one hit KO him with the 10oz gloves the way he does with the 4oz ones. That's his only path to victory because :lol: at the thought of him point fighting Floyd Mayweather.

Floyd probably demanded 18oz gloves.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
What's an example of a really good boxing match to demonstrate the difference between 'punches hard' and 'good boxer'?

Would the Holyfield/Tyson fights count?

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD

Mulaney Power Move posted:

it's possible mick mcguinness gets in a lucky shot and knocks him out in the sense that it's also possible that i could find a box full of money and never have to work again a day in my life

Will be great to watch Conor overcome your racist attitude, via KOing Floyd in round 3.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Snowman_McK posted:

What's an example of a really good boxing match to demonstrate the difference between 'punches hard' and 'good boxer'?

Ward / Kovalev and GGG / Jacobs. Except GGG and Kovalev are both excellent boxers too.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

remember when Brendan Schaub said he could beat Cain Velasquez in a wrestling match

remember when Brendan Schaub tried to have a grappling match with Cyborg Abreu

Brendan Schaub fundamentally does not get how combat sports work

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Snowman_McK posted:

Barrera/Hamed

There really aren't many like this though because most boxers who get to fight good boxers are pretty decent boxers themselves, not just guys who punch hard.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Fat Twitter Man posted:

remember when Brendan Schaub said he could beat Cain Velasquez in a wrestling match

remember when Brendan Schaub tried to have a grappling match with Cyborg Abreu

Brendan Schaub fundamentally does not get how combat sports work

I remember when Brendan Schaub got outboxed by Big Nog and became pretty much his only standing KO in a career going back several thousand years.

big money big clit posted:

Barrera/Hamed

There really aren't many like this though because most boxers who get to fight good boxers are pretty decent boxers themselves, not just guys who punch hard.

Marching Powder posted:

Ward / Kovalev and GGG / Jacobs. Except GGG and Kovalev are both excellent boxers too.

Thanks for these. I have a great interest in boxing even though I know I'm understanding a tenth of what I'm saying. I was just remembering a quote from Holyfield where he said 'Tyson tried to box me, and that was my strength' and I didn't fully understand what else it could be for a boxer. Would anyone like to try to explain that? Or is the answer B. CTE?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

eric posted:

Floyd probably demanded 18oz gloves.

Hrm, he probably didn't.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Snowman_McK posted:

Mayweather-Maidana I is somewhat relevant for this. Marcos Maidana is a hard hitting pressure fighter and had some success against Floyd in the first fight.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

The big issue with most of these comparisons to boxing matches is that Conor isn't a pressure fighter, he's more of a boxer puncher/counter puncher in his MMA fights. He's probably closest to Zab Judah as a Mayweather opponent, if Judah was slower and a much worse boxer.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

It will be funny when Floyd pops for steroids and they cancel the fight

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Honestly I think this fight will look a lot like Floyd-Canelo.

Scapegoat
Sep 18, 2004
Has Floyd ever let anyone get under his skin in the ring? All the comments here indicate he's exceedingly disciplined.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Jack B Nimble posted:

Or am I overestimating how much stand up clinch work from mma translates to boxing?

Yeah -- clinches get broken up in boxing, and Floyd has a lifetime of mastering what can be done before the ref breaks it up, as well as what can be done where the ref can't see.
He can take that 1-2 seconds and maximize his advantage.

Snowman_McK posted:

I was just remembering a quote from Holyfield where he said 'Tyson tried to box me, and that was my strength' and I didn't fully understand what else it could be for a boxer. Would anyone like to try to explain that? Or is the answer B. CTE?

Here, "tried to box" means being clean defensively and outscoring your opponent as a primary goal as opposed to trying to hurt him or wear him out.
There's different ways to approach the fight in boxing, same as MMA. Some people prefer (or evolve toward) brawling and preventing their opponent getting organized with their tactics. If you try to box, it means you're gonna stay disciplined, stay alert on defense, and economize your shots instead of willingly trading punches.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Snowman_McK posted:

These are more competitive than I expect this fight to be and most of the brawlers are pretty ok boxers too, but any of the Ali-Frazier trilogy for a start. Any Pacquiao vs Marquez. Provodnikov vs Bradley for something more recent, or Provodnikov/Algieri. Tyson vs Lewis for bad Tyson, Tyson vs Michael Spinks for good Tyson.

And I just realized before looking for more that you weren't asking for swarming fighters vs pure boxers, leaving it anyway because these are some interesting fights.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jun 16, 2017

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Ali-Foreman too. A must watch for anyone who has ever wondered about the origins of rope-a-dope.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

The Ninth Layer posted:

Ali-Foreman too. A must watch for anyone who has ever wondered about the origins of rope-a-dope.

I know about this one. It's the subject of 'When We Were Kings' which is a loving amazing documentary.

kimbo305 posted:

Here, "tried to box" means being clean defensively and outscoring your opponent as a primary goal as opposed to trying to hurt him or wear him out.
There's different ways to approach the fight in boxing, same as MMA. Some people prefer (or evolve toward) brawling and preventing their opponent getting organized with their tactics. If you try to box, it means you're gonna stay disciplined, stay alert on defense, and economize your shots instead of willingly trading punches.

I figured it was something like that, it was just a funny way to phrase it.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
I'd say the best boxing match for any non fans to watch to get a good sense of what boxing is would be Evander Holyfield (not a real name) V Mike Tyson 2. I think this is the fight that probably best shows boxing for what it is.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

To "reach across the isle" I'd say for any boxing fans who want to get a feel for how most MMA matches look, check out Jemery Horn v. The Taekwondo Guy.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Snowman_McK posted:

I figured it was something like that, it was just a funny way to phrase it.

It's a pretty common way to phrase it in boxing circles. You can watch Canelo/Chavez Jr (though you really shouldn't) if you want an example of a dude trying to box when he should clearly be trying to make it an ugly, dirty, fight. If the other guy has better technical skills often your only chance is to try and rough him up with in-fighting, wear him down with pressure, smother his punches and just put leather on him anywhere you can and try to drag him into deep waters. Basically think of what Diaz did against McGregor in their first fight. The issue is that McGregor isn't that sort of fighter at all and that's about the only way anyone manages to win rounds off of Floyd.

Scapegoat posted:

Has Floyd ever let anyone get under his skin in the ring? All the comments here indicate he's exceedingly disciplined.

You could argue that maybe Ortiz did, but it didn't end up working out so well for Ortiz. But he's generally preternaturally composed. Watch how he reacts to the nut shot and ensuing brawl in his fight with Judah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLgYcvC1QJA

Snowman_McK posted:

IThanks for these. I have a great interest in boxing even though I know I'm understanding a tenth of what I'm saying. I was just remembering a quote from Holyfield where he said 'Tyson tried to box me, and that was my strength' and I didn't fully understand what else it could be for a boxer. Would anyone like to try to explain that? Or is the answer B. CTE?

Watch some of Naseem Hamed fights or highlights and then watch the Barrera fight. Also watch some of the build up to the Barrera fight for the full experience.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Specific good boxer who hits (really) hard vs good puncher example: GGG vs Curtis Stevens, although I'm not sure how much there is to learn from watching the fight. Golovkin dropped Stevens (who really does have completely legit power) and Stevens just got worked until he quit.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Work Friend Keven posted:

To "reach across the isle" I'd say for any boxing fans who want to get a feel for how most MMA matches look, check out Jemery Horn v. The Taekwondo Guy.

That's Travis Fulton vs Jeremy Bullock

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8tVTuNZ3Zw

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

The best boxing match is the original Rocky

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

vaginal facsimile posted:

The best boxing match is the original Rocky

Just go with the boxing match which is the most Rocky type fight to ever happen in real life.

• Locked thread