Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
https://twitter.com/jonyiveparody/status/875388213501755392

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Wheany posted:

hello, i have a friend who wants to buy a used mac. how long do they receive software updates? like apparently 2011 imacs still have the latest macos, but are are they about to drop out or...?

also any other gotchas?

they can't afford a new mac, don't want a windows computer and have been using linux for a decade and are fed up with it.

my uneducated recommendation was to buy some used thing and put an ssd into it

you probably want a mac released in 2012 or later, since those are supported by metal and so probably have a long time to go before support is dropped.

that said, my 2011 imac is still running strong. it was the last generation of 21.5" imacs where you could upgrade the RAM without taking it apart.

i also upgraded it to SSD, which was actually a lot less work than i thought it would be. especially since I put the SSD in the optical drive bay, which only required removing the screen and the optical drive.

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jun 15, 2017

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

there's a new Magic Mouse? is it magic-er

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

there's a new Magic Mouse? is it magic-er

it was released a while ago. instead of AA batteries, it has a rechargeable one that you recharge by plugging a lightning cable into the mouse.

the lightning port is on the bottom, so you can't recharge the mouse and use it at the same time.

the laziest, most minimal required effort attempt at making it rechargeable that apple could've possibly done.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

lol @ anyone who still uses an apple mouse, I haven't used one since the 90s

just get a logitech m720 or anywhere mx 2

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

i have that mouse because my work was awesome and gave me an iMac for my desk. i checked the battery level by chance yesterday to see it was at 9%, and 6% when I left work. if i didn't check, my mouse would have likely died today, and i would have to get a dell mouse like some scrub. it's an awful charge design, and i can't believe it was allowed to go out the door at apple.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

so if you plug an apple pencil into the bottom of a magic mouse which one charges?

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

they charge back and forth, forever

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

qirex posted:

so if you plug an apple pencil into the bottom of a magic mouse which one charges?

this makes mickey cry

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Athletic Footjob posted:

this makes mickey cry

:vince:

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Athletic Footjob posted:

this makes mickey cry

:drat:

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

Silver Alicorn posted:

my car automatically plays when I plug in the lightning cable

yeah it owns that new iphones and ios versions still implement the old ipod protocol, i plug my phone into the usb port in my (2010) car and the phone charges while the car plays music/streaming services off of it, and google maps navigation instructions play over car speakers if im using that

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Athletic Footjob posted:

this makes mickey cry

lmao

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

that's in like, Canadian tire dollars or something right? theres no way the tragic mouse costs more than $40

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Mr. Apollo posted:

they charge back and forth, forever

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
https://9to5mac.com/2017/06/12/newly-leaked-iphone-8-parts-give-glimpse-into-rumored-design/

if this is really what the next iphone looks like, it owns
between this the ipad pro and the announcement theyre gonna make another display im ready to call it: apple is back

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
that better be loving ceramic or something

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Looks like the essential phone except with a bigger dimple

poty
Jun 21, 2008

Blue Train posted:

Looks like the essential phone except with a bigger dimple

just googled this and it has a fingerprint reader on the back which is a crime against humanity

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

poty posted:

https://9to5mac.com/2017/06/12/newly-leaked-iphone-8-parts-give-glimpse-into-rumored-design/

between this the ipad pro and the announcement theyre gonna make another display im ready to call it: apple is back

why the long face

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

poty posted:

we figured most people take pictures in portrait mode so why not move everything

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

poty posted:

looks bad

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

love how everyone was all "it's amazing how Tim Cook managed to keep everything on WWDC a secret!"

and today we know what the next iPhone looks like and that it will be waterproof and have some sort of magnetic charging 6 months in advance

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

poty posted:

just googled this and it has a fingerprint reader on the back which is a crime against humanity

The Apple logo is gonna be the fingerprint reader on this one

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

probably were testing ones with the reader on the back in case they couldn't get it to work through the screen

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user

okay, but with the camera and earpiece right there in the middle, where's the time display gonna be??

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Astoundingly Ugly Baby posted:

okay, but with the camera and earpiece right there in the middle, where's the time display gonna be??

The screen to the sides of the middle is going to always be black, saving energy due to the AMOLED panel

The status bar will be below it

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

qirex posted:

lol @ anyone who still uses an apple mouse, I haven't used one since the 90s

just get a magic trackpad

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET

Blue Train posted:

The screen to the sides of the middle is going to always be black, saving energy due to the AMOLED panel

The status bar will be below it

no need to put a panel there then

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Bravery

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Triglav posted:

no need to put a panel there then

that's the wolfcastle smiley

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
it's insane how good apples trackpads are, especially with the three finger drag setting

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

magic trackpad at work, magic mouse 2 at home. wired logitech gaming mouse for gaming or when i charge magic mouse (once every two months or so?) lol

poty
Jun 21, 2008

Astoundingly Ugly Baby posted:

buy an apple watch problem solved

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

Last Chance posted:

magic trackpad at work, magic mouse 2 at home. wired logitech gaming mouse for gaming or when i charge magic mouse (once every two months or so?) lol

Congrats on conditioning yourself to like the most unergonomic mouse on the market.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
i dont think i can handle drag and drop and resizing objects with a trackpad without going mental. poo poo is like that frustrating wire loop game.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

love how everyone was all "it's amazing how Tim Cook managed to keep everything on WWDC a secret!"

and today we know what the next iPhone looks like and that it will be waterproof and have some sort of magnetic charging 6 months in advance

i think the OG iphone and maybe the 3gs were the only iphones without leaks

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

lol I haven't charged my Magic Mouse in a month and its still at 93% its a non issue

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

i dont think i can handle drag and drop and resizing objects with a trackpad without going mental. poo poo is like that frustrating wire loop game.

three finger drag dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user

poty posted:

buy an apple watch problem solved

Genius! Just completely get rid of the ability to see the time or set timers on the iPhone and require an Apple Watch for full functionality.

• Locked thread