Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Super Mario ODyssey is going to be like Super Mario 64 but at least 10 times more complex, and not even Pannenkoek will be able to grasp its full depth of design.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

net cafe scandal posted:

Super Mario ODyssey is going to be like Super Mario 64 but at least 10 times more complex, and not even Pannenkoek will be able to grasp its full depth of design.

One day he is going to try, and Mario will throw his hat right out of the screen and possess Pannenkoek, so that Mario can use his powers to stop Bowser once and for all.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

net cafe scandal posted:

The logical guess would be this: The small green creature is a frog, and the thing you throw at it is a hat. However, that guess is incorrect.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

But where does Mario go when his hat possesses the frog? For THAT answer, we need to talk about Koopal Space Distortion

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i do wonder if the same tricks are being used today (everything being made out of triangles to communicate positional data) and its just all been smoothed out and looks more convincing.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

itd be neat to see pannen break down a more modern mario game but i wanna see how deep the 64 hole goes

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

extremebuff posted:

itd be neat to see pannen break down a more modern mario game but i wanna see how deep the 64 hole goes

Imagine somebody doing this with a Bethesda game.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Apparently Ocarina of Time was made on a heavily modified Mario 64 engine. I'd love to know in what ways they're still similar but I doubt he would ever look into that

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Color Printer posted:

Apparently Ocarina of Time was made on a heavily modified Mario 64 engine. I'd love to know in what ways they're still similar but I doubt he would ever look into that

The parallel universes thing definitely exists within Legend of Zelda. I might be wrong, but I think it's part of how speed runners can do that trick where they take child Link from the Deku Tree straight into Ganon's Tower.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The logical guess would be this: child Link would be unable to access Ganon's Tower, as the vertical and horizontal surfaces of that building will not exist for another seven years. However, that guess is incorrect. When it comes to parallel universes, time works the same way.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Bicyclops posted:

The parallel universes thing definitely exists within Legend of Zelda. I might be wrong, but I think it's part of how speed runners can do that trick where they take child Link from the Deku Tree straight into Ganon's Tower.

That's actually a wrongwarp, which is a category of glitch where you trick the game to taking you to the wrong place when you do a screen transition. I don't know all the details of the OoT one but it has something to do with leaving the room without using the glowing portal not setting the flag for where to be warped to correctly, so it just uses the value that happens to be in that memory location. Conveniently, warping to Ganon's tower doesn't require you to do any fancy memory manipulation

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

still think about his sometimes

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Mar 23, 2021

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Bicyclops posted:

I believe evidence of this is in the 3 pause run of ocarina in the spirit temple boss room

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
sorry for being a computer yospos human being but, from what i understood from pannenkoeks videos, if the collision detection position variables are stored in shorter sized integers, while the actual model's position is stored on a larger integer, then the collision one will loop/wrap around, allowing you to still collide with the original world while existing in the void. If this is the case for oot then yes, there are parallel universes in oot

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
For those interested

2 hours 31 min

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01J-0suWISk

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
oh man i never finished watching that and then i forgot tyvm

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

ArfJason posted:

sorry for being a computer yospos human being but, from what i understood from pannenkoeks videos, if the collision detection position variables are stored in shorter sized integers, while the actual model's position is stored on a larger integer, then the collision one will loop/wrap around, allowing you to still collide with the original world while existing in the void. If this is the case for oot then yes, there are parallel universes in oot

i think there are mostly because it's built of the mario 64 engine, but that it matters a lot less in oot because you do a lot less jumping. speedrunners have definitely cracked the game wide open, but maybe nobody has quite done the pannenkoek treatment, because the wrongwarp i mentioned earlier eliminates the need for any percent runners and it probably wouldn't cut much time off a 100 percent run.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
has anybody even been able to do a parallel universe warp in real time

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

ArfJason posted:

You don't have to apologize for being a nerd itt of all threads.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

cheetah7071 posted:

That's actually a wrongwarp, which is a category of glitch where you trick the game to taking you to the wrong place when you do a screen transition. I don't know all the details of the OoT one but it has something to do with leaving the room without using the glowing portal not setting the flag for where to be warped to correctly, so it just uses the value that happens to be in that memory location. Conveniently, warping to Ganon's tower doesn't require you to do any fancy memory manipulation

My understanding is that the way OoT handles cutscenes is each area has a value and each cutscene has a value, and if you're in a screen transition that takes you to a cutscene then the cutscene value is added to destination area value and that's how the game knows you should be in a particular cutscene.

The Deku Tree wrongwarp works because you trick the game into adding a cutscene value to a different area - normally in the blue warp transition you would have deku tree cutscene value plus outside the deku tree area value and that equals the cutscene where the Deku Tree tells you about the Kokiri Emerald. If you enter the Deku Tree basement 2 on the same frame as the blue warp transition, then the game adds deku tree cutscene value plus deku tree basement 2 value and that equals Ganon's tower.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

They're starting to do it with Sunshine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyUFdzaEtP8

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Aston posted:

My understanding is that the way OoT handles cutscenes is each area has a value and each cutscene has a value, and if you're in a screen transition that takes you to a cutscene then the cutscene value is added to destination area value and that's how the game knows you should be in a particular cutscene.

The Deku Tree wrongwarp works because you trick the game into adding a cutscene value to a different area - normally in the blue warp transition you would have deku tree cutscene value plus outside the deku tree area value and that equals the cutscene where the Deku Tree tells you about the Kokiri Emerald. If you enter the Deku Tree basement 2 on the same frame as the blue warp transition, then the game adds deku tree cutscene value plus deku tree basement 2 value and that equals Ganon's tower.

this is cool, thank you for explaining. is there a pannenkoek equivalent for zelda tricks like this?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

BBJoey posted:

this is cool, thank you for explaining. is there a pannenkoek equivalent for zelda tricks like this?

speedrunners for OoT and MM are usually pretty good at explaining what exploits they're using if you just look a few up on twitch, but nobody really does what pannenkoek does where you try to beat the game without pressing buttons. even in 100 percent runs, it tends to be more about sequence breaking than figuring out how the actual surface link is standing on is built.

Tomato Burger
Jun 18, 2007
The secret is granola.

A bit less impressive because there is a "press to fly arbitrarily high" button in that game, but still entertaining.

This video even has a sped up "charging approximately 1 minute" segment that reminded me of the pannenkoek videos on a much smaller scale.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmv41KAVICw

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Sunshine 0x A presses aren't that impressive considering there's a nozzle attachment that lets you jump.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

qkkl posted:

Sunshine 0x A presses aren't that impressive considering there's a nozzle attachment that lets you jump.

They do take the nozzle away for at least one shine per level.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

BBJoey posted:

Not as far as I know, and I can't remember where I learned that explanation. It was in a speedrun of OoT but I've watched that run so many times I can't pick out the exact video.

This one is really good, it's a post-commentated world record (I think since beaten) so it goes into more depth than they usually can with live runs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aq6pGJbd6Iw

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

New video up where he straps cameras to every bird and butterfly and watches where they go

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

In Training posted:

New video up where he straps cameras to every bird and butterfly and watches where they go

The last one with the bob-ombs......

Also there's another one too about all of Mario's animations which is mostly interesting because it includes some weird unused ones like crying

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOSY5zoB6TI

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
me when i see new panenkoek

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leyu-9cqxpo&t=432s

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012