Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Dolphin posted:

The stereotypes about people who call themselves gamers are all true. Don't invite them to parties, or engage them at all.

I'm a gamer and I'm awesome and everybody loves me and I'm nice and get laid and give to charity and vote in local elections.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Im not good at dota just the bar is really low when people start being like hey maybe the psycho barking orders knows what to do because i sure don't

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Thats how the nazi party started

Dr. Carwash
Sep 16, 2006

Senpai...

basic hitler posted:

Im not good at dota just the bar is really low when people start being like hey maybe the psycho barking orders knows what to do because i sure don't

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ye4AkBocrro

^How not to communicate.

Manic Mailman
Jul 2, 2004
Sega Saturn is better than the Playstation and their bullshit 3d games that look as poo poo now.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

He isn't playing high as hell with that stoner monotone so nobody hypnotically obeying

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Mario 64 gets grandfather-clause'd--and rightly so given the influence it has had on setting the standard for 3D platformers--but as a game in its own right it hasn't aged well. The physics are clunky, the levels are more frustrating than challenging, and the aesthetics feel like a random sampling of default polygon skins (which they pretty much are). It's still good, it just feels like it's on too high a shelf.

Bitter fly
Sep 25, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
The only good football game was Tecmo Super Bowl for the NES.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Dolphin posted:

The stereotypes about people who call themselves gamers are all true. Don't invite them to parties, or engage them at all.

I think among kids it's not quite so bad (but the kids I know who call themselves gamers are still messed up, just not in manbaby misogynist ways).

After Gamergate, I became really uncomfortable with the term.

Bitter fly posted:

I thought I was the only person who thought this.

Phlairdon
Apr 15, 2003

If you can't stand up you can't do war!

Man, song lyrics are getting lazy these days.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Kotor and Kotor 2 are both bad games

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Lol if you ever order anyone around during quick match in a MOBA

I will literally start doing the opposite of what your dumb voice tells me

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Bitter fly posted:

NFL Blitz

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

I thought siege of dragonspear was really good :shobon:

SciFiDownBeat posted:

Kotor and Kotor 2 are both bad games
you're half right lol

mind the walrus posted:

Mario 64 gets grandfather-clause'd--and rightly so given the influence it has had on setting the standard for 3D platformers--but as a game in its own right it hasn't aged well. The physics are clunky, the levels are more frustrating than challenging, and the aesthetics feel like a random sampling of default polygon skins (which they pretty much are). It's still good, it just feels like it's on too high a shelf.
i dont think this is that controversial, galaxy and galaxy 2 pretty much ate 64s lunch, theyre both huge steps forward from the game that was originally played with an n64 controller

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

VideoTapir posted:

I think among kids it's not quite so bad (but the kids I know who call themselves gamers are still messed up, just not in manbaby misogynist ways).

After Gamergate, I became really uncomfortable with the term.
The fact that 90% of female videogame characters are deformed sex monsters for male gamers to jack off to is an artistic decision and not at all misogyny bro

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Anyone who thinks video games are art and then thinks the Mario games are the pinnacle of video games needs to get their head straightened out.

Mario is the antithesis of art. He's a little squeaky piece of poo poo. Mario games always boil down to tired 'save the princess' plots that have literally nothing to do with the game design. Yes there are art elements in terms of music and the level design, but that is similar to the paintings on Settlers of Catan pieces or the text on Cards Against Humanity cards.

Mario games may be good games, but to consider them art is a problem. Especially when people in this very forum will laud Mario games but admonish games like...say...Battlefield 1 as 'bro' games when they at least try to show some kind of pathos towards soldiers at war.

To call Mario games art is to call a rubick's cube art. There is nothing on Mario that evokes any kind of emotion at all.

facebook jihad fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jun 16, 2017

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

does art merely mean transgression against a canvass or whatever you feel like now

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

you're half right lol

I actually remember liking Kotor 2 better than 1 for some reason. I think maybe because the writing was so un-star wars

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Super Mario is... problematic

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

kotor 2 is a terrible rushed to market game that makes you put up with how terrible it is and makes you become aware of the RPG as a genre and is for sure art

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

facebook jihad posted:

Anyone who thinks video games are art and then thinks the Mario games are the pinnacle of video games needs to get their head straightened out.

Mario is the antithesis of art. He's a little squeaky piece of poo poo. Mario games always boil down to tired 'save the princess' plots that have literally nothing to do with the game design. Yes there are art elements in terms of music and the level design, but that is similar to the paintings on Settlers of Catan pieces or the text on Cards Against Humanity cards.

Mario games may be good games, but to consider them art is a problem. Especially when people in this very forum will laud Mario games but admonish games like...say...Battlefield 1 as 'bro' games when they at least try to show some kind of pathos towards soldiers at war.

To call Mario games art is to call a rubick's cube art. There is nothing on Mario that evokes any kind of emotion at all.

its about the levels and the jumping you total retard

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

They should make more card adventure games. Pokémon TCG on the gameboy was awesome. I also enjoyed this dinky Monster Rancher card game on the PSX. These things can't be hard to make. Why don't they make it.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Bitter fly posted:

WRONG
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wghznH7Jtbw

Vegetable posted:

They should make more card adventure games. Pokémon TCG on the gameboy was awesome. I also enjoyed this dinky Monster Rancher card game on the PSX. These things can't be hard to make. Why don't they make it.

you will enjoy this
https://www.slightlymagic.net/wiki/Forge

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o678wPfMJRA

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
If I can't jack off to a woman in a video game, why is she there at all?

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

do not grouP UP
AS S
BUT STAY CLOSE

e: If your game has been going for 58 minutes might as well just let someone finish because everyone is a loser at that point.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

thats the dota version of the dkp guy right

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Vegetable posted:

konami made a couple of yu-gi-oh card adventure games for the GBA and crammed them full of bullshit

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

Espn football 2k5

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
4K is ruining games. All the extra horsepower from the new consoles is being put toward reaching a resolution that the vast majority of people don't even have, instead of toward better graphics. And most people's TVs are probably too small to even be able to tell the difference between 1080 and 4K.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

The Dennis System posted:

4K is ruining games. All the extra horsepower from the new consoles is being put toward reaching a resolution that the vast majority of people don't even have, instead of toward better graphics. And most people's TVs are probably too small to even be able to tell the difference between 1080 and 4K.

They won't be able to do 4k at decent frame rates anyway. A Geforce 1080 struggles with 4k at 60 frames per second with all the bells and whistles turned on in AAA games. Even a 1080 ti or a Titan can only come close to a steady 60 frames per second.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

Universe Master posted:

They won't be able to do 4k at decent frame rates anyway. A Geforce 1080 struggles with 4k at 60 frames per second with all the bells and whistles turned on in AAA games. Even a 1080 ti or a Titan can only come close to a steady 60 frames per second.

Welp, I only have a 1070, so I won't be playing anything at 4K anytime soon.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Who is more to blame for the rush to "best" graphics? The consumers who won't be satisfied until Call of Duty can induce PTSD in Army Reserve members, or the developers/corporate side convinced that consumers will always buy new and shiny above all logic?

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

Dolphin posted:

The fact that 90% of female videogame characters are deformed sex monsters for male gamers to jack off to is an artistic decision and not at all misogyny bro

this applies to dudecharacters in games also. They are all roided out manhulks or in the case of Japan; all effeminate super sexy twinklords

Man I want a game where I get to play an obese neckbearded dude

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017

the handgestures are actually really cool and would be amazing in future VR games where you can move around and stuff

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Fartbox posted:

Man I want a game where I get to play an obese neckbearded dude

Good news. Firewatch.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017

this alone has justified the push for VR

I want a lot more stuff like this

also the new star trek show should be like this

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Video Game Politics is the most effective honeytrap on earth designed to catch every single unhappy piece of poo poo rear end in a top hat crybaby across the entire political spectrum in their 20s and make them believe their retarded entertainment hobby is important

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
Mario Galaxy actually sucks compared to 64. Although Galaxy has a lot of creative, colorful ideas in it, 64 has a wider space of actual gameplay. Galaxy is literally on rails half the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Universe Master posted:

I can't max out GTA V at 1080p, even with 2 1080s Ti... I guess I'm CPU limited?