Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Data Graham posted:

If they're going to make Saul from the protagonist into the villain of his own show in much the same way they did with Walt, they're going to have to raise up a new protag to take his place in our hearts, the way they did with Jesse.

Is it going to be Chuck, Hamlin, or Kim?

Huell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Data Graham posted:

If they're going to make Saul from the protagonist into the villain of his own show in much the same way they did with Walt, they're going to have to raise up a new protag to take his place in our hearts, the way they did with Jesse.

Nacho should start working in the HHM mailroom imo

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Data Graham posted:

Have we not had "protagonist" defined enough in this thread? I like you, Data Graham. You seem like a good poster, but :argh: :eng99:

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Have we not had "protagonist" defined enough in this thread? I like you, Data Graham. You seem like a good poster, but :argh: :eng99:

Hero is a synonym of protagonist just FYI.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Uhh were you supposed to flip and think of Jesse as the good guy?? He's a fuckboi from start to finish

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
With as much as they're shifting focus onto Mike and Gus, I wonder if this show should've just been more of a straight up BB prequel focused on them and the drug side instead. The ratings for this show have been slipping, I think Jimmy's story isn't as interesting as they hoped. I personally enjoy it but clearly people enjoy the Mike/Gus/carel aspect more and that stuff almost seems like it would be wrapped up by next season at this rate.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

TBeats posted:

Hero is a synonym of protagonist just FYI.

Usually the protagonist of a show is the hero, but the main definition of protagonist is just main character.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Cojawfee posted:

Usually the protagonist of a show is the hero, but the main definition of protagonist is just main character.

Okay.

A synonym of protagonist is hero. So in context it's really easy to understand what was meant by "protagonist."

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Good or bad doesn't factor into it.

"pro·tag·o·nist

prōˈtaɡənəst,prəˈtaɡənəst/

noun

the leading character or one of the major characters in a drama, movie, novel, or other fictional text.

the main figure or one of the most prominent figures in a real situation."

In BB, Walt was the protagonist, all the way through. In BCS, it's Saul. One could argue that perhaps Mike is like a secondary protagonist, but that's pretty much it.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Good or bad doesn't factor into it.

"pro·tag·o·nist

prōˈtaɡənəst,prəˈtaɡənəst/

noun

the leading character or one of the major characters in a drama, movie, novel, or other fictional text.

the main figure or one of the most prominent figures in a real situation."

In BB, Walt was the protagonist, all the way through. In BCS, it's Saul. One could argue that perhaps Mike is like a secondary protagonist, but that's pretty much it.

Definition =! Synonym.

A synonym for protagonist is hero.

So in an easily identifiable context, good and bad factor into it.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

TBeats posted:

Definition =! Synonym.

A synonym for protagonist is hero.

So in an easily identifiable context, good and bad factor into it.

Yes, ok fine, but nowhere in Data Graham's post did they mention 'hero'. If you think that's what was meant, ok, whatever, but 'protagonist' was what was mentioned.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Yes, ok fine, but nowhere in Data Graham's post did they mention 'hero'. If you think that's what was meant, ok, whatever, but 'protagonist' was what was mentioned.

They said protagonist and villain as opposites. What is the opposite of villain? (From protagonist to villain.)

Context is important. Don't be dense.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

TBeats posted:

They said protagonist and villain as opposites. What is the opposite of villain? (From protagonist to villain.)

Context is important. Don't be dense.

I'm not trying to be dense; my main argument is "use protagonist properly". That's all :shobon:

Edit: vvvv holy gently caress. I'm done. You win, I guess; you get to be the hero of this stupid goddamned debate.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jun 16, 2017

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

I'm not trying to be dense; my main argument is "use protagonist properly". That's all :shobon:

Hero is a synonym for protagonist. When people use it to mean hero, there is nothing wrong with that.

For example: when I say I am high, that doesn't always mean I am flying even though the formal definition would indicate that.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
Let us cite the book "Snow Crash" where the main character is named "Hiro Protagonist."

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Data Graham posted:

Isn't that already Kim? It can't be Chuck. He's the one that started this mess. He's the the reason Jimmy is moving to the dark side.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

some guy on the bus posted:

Isn't that already Kim? It can't be Chuck. He's the one that started this mess. He's the the reason Jimmy is moving to the dark side.

Jesse was the reason Walt moved to the dark side.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Platystemon posted:

No, Walt's hubris was the reason. Jesse was the means, not the cause.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Platystemon posted:

Jesse didn't go up to Walt and go "Oh hey, nerdiest old dude I know, want to cook meth with me?"

El Pato
Jul 2, 2007

I hate to spoil the ending, but...some stuff gets eaten, y'know?

Aliquid posted:

If I could time-travel I'd go back to early 2015 and tell myself Mike would be like my sixth-favorite character just to watch the reaction.

On my first watch of Breaking Bad, it was when we met Saul that I said, gently caress this show and actually stopped watching.

I had just finished The Wire for the first time, and seeing the bald guy get killed by that kid in breaking bad and then meeting Saul that had me go, ok I am out.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I have a good friend that stopped watching Breaking Bad at the end of season 2 because it was too boring.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

The Ninth Layer posted:

I have a good friend that stopped watching Breaking Bad at the end of season 2 because it was too boring.

I could see stopping at Season 1 or before you get to Saul and Gus. I had to convince my friends to continue there. But stopping after you get to Saul, Gus, and Mike, and after seeing Walt let Jane die seems unimaginable.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
i watched the first couple of BB episodes and didn't get into it.

went to a friend's house and he was watching Box Cutter.

a week or so after that i had the entire series watched.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

drat it

I went back and forth over "hero" a few times but eventually decided it was more important to get my post shat out so I could go get dinner than to toss my chips onto the word with potentially more glibness and endure questions and mockery

:doh:

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Jimmy became a bad guy when he swapped those numbers.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
Jesus that made me jump a little. What happened to kim?

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

ArfJason posted:

Jesus that made me jump a little. What happened to kim?

She fell asleep at the wheel. She's been running on fumes for much of the season.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I almost stopped watching Breaking Bad. All this stuff about dissolving bodies and stuff in the first few episodes was way too spooky for me. I ended up coming back a few weeks later and finishing the series.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Tree Dude posted:

She fell asleep at the wheel. She's been running on fumes for much of the season.

Seems like she could use a little artificial pick me up

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

some guy on the bus posted:

I could see stopping at Season 1 or before you get to Saul and Gus. I had to convince my friends to continue there. But stopping after you get to Saul, Gus, and Mike, and after seeing Walt let Jane die seems unimaginable.

I did just this actually. Season 1 didn't grab me and then Season 2 had some good stuff but I didn't feel like continuing. I came around eventually and gave it another try, but I still feel like it's 3 onwards where the show goes from good to great. You don't get deep into the Gus and Mike stuff till season 3. I did like Saul a lot but he wasn't enough at the time to keep me going.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
I really like the early episodes of BB where it's essentially a show about an odd couple bumbling their way through a life of crime.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I hate the loving word "protagonist". it's like everyone learned what it meant because of the Hunger Games reviewsand now people won't stop using it whenever it is slightly usable.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I thought Breaking Bad was awesome from the very first episode and was hooked the whole way through.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Cnut the Great posted:

I really like the early episodes of BB where it's essentially a show about an odd couple bumbling their way through a life of crime.
Yeah those early episodes kind of remind me of a Coen brothers movie or something. They're fun.

Ein cooler Typ posted:

I hate the loving word "protagonist". it's like everyone learned what it meant because of the Hunger Games reviewsand now people won't stop using it whenever it is slightly usable.
Uh what?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Naw man it was Plinkett donchaknow

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Ein cooler Typ posted:

Do you mean perhaps that they learned it in american public middle school

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

SeANMcBAY posted:

I thought Breaking Bad was awesome from the very first episode and was hooked the whole way through.

People complain about Season 1 all the time and I'm just like "What? loving really!?" It hit the ground at full throttle and just kept picking up speed. I'll agree season 2 is probably the weakest of the whole series, but it's still miles ahead of most everything else and had so many awesome moments of it's own. Season 3 just shot things into overdrive.

Some of it might be legitimate opinion but I think a lot of it just goons trying to show how superior their tastes are though. The "if a lot of people like a thing, I must dislike a thing to look cool" attitude. Again not everyone, but some.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Ein cooler Typ posted:

I've kind of got to go with everyone here, I think the only people who might have learned that from Hunger Games are like 12 year old girls. And they probably already knew it too.

If you're wondering why it gets used more with shows like Breaking Bad and Saul it's because the characters are morally gray and you can't just call them "the good guys" or "the heroes" or whatever. That's literally all there is to it.

• Locked thread