Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Autech posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LgSs5f-ruY

World record. What a drive! I'd take Kamui over the likes of Stroll anyday.

that's a loving lap

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

Autech posted:

Pro-Click.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
That commentator brought up a good point which is that these LMP1 cars are almost as fast as F1 cars and have way better reliability than all of the F1 cars. The LMP1 cars were about eight seconds off of the F1 cars in qualifying. It's probably a larger gap now but that's incredible to me.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

keevo posted:

That commentator brought up a good point which is that these LMP1 cars are almost as fast as F1 cars and have way better reliability than all of the F1 cars. The LMP1 cars were about eight seconds off of the F1 cars in qualifying. It's probably a larger gap now but that's incredible to me.

Yeah because 2009 - 2016 was easily in the pile of one of the worst formulas ever devised for Formula 1.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

keevo posted:

I think they were talking about Spa, right?

*edit*

http://fastestlaps.com/tracks/spa-francorchamps

last year Nico Rosberg did a 1:46.74 at the Belgian GP and this year the Toyota did a 1:53.66 at the 6 hours of Spa last month.

Basticle fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jun 16, 2017

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Autech posted:

Holy tits. What a lap.

LeMans is going to be the business this weekend, gents. Not that it isn't normally, but you know what I mean Fellas.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

harperdc posted:

When Japan had tons of money and a boner for F1 they didn't also have itasha, but if it happened now, we would definitely have another mid-backfield team sponsored by a Japanese delivery firm but with anime girls pasted all over.

I think Goodsmile Racing works alongside former Formula 1 driver Ukyo Katayama. Goodsmile F1 needs to happen now.

:yeah:

also, that Kobayashi lap :stare:

Edit: relevant to Kobayashi and goodsmile...

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

keevo posted:

Yeah, F1's hybrids are much more heavily regulated, the engines are much more insane in terms of engineering tolerances, and LMP1's entire propulsion system won't break down if you look at it funny.

Then again, an F1 engine is designed to last 5 races (each race being a minimum of 305km/190.625mi except Monaco, so 1,525km/953.125mi not counting practice and qualifying). Last year, the winning 919 did 384 laps for 5,233.536km/3,252.096mi, or running over 3.4 times what an F1 engine is expected to.

So yeah, LMP1 engines are a lot more reliable.

Oh, and if anyone wants to know, Indy is 2500 miles on the engine before it can be changed, though there's some weirdness involving the Indy 500 simply because they know how much of hell 400+ miles at full throttle can be on an engine.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Fumble posted:

Was that the year that only Merc knew which way round the turbo was supposed to go?

No, I think the issue was that Mercedes and Petronas had told the teams that were buying the motors what type of fuel and oil to use, and Mobil (who were sponsoring McLaren at that time) completely ignored Petronas' advice and went another way.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

You Am I posted:

No, I think the issue was that Mercedes and Petronas had told the teams that were buying the motors what type of fuel and oil to use, and Mobil (who were sponsoring McLaren at that time) completely ignored Petronas' advice and went another way.

Close. The other Mercedes teams may have had their own sponsors, but they all used Petronas lubricants and fuels. McLaren still used Mobil for their supply, and so Mobil didn't have all the top-secret best information on speed. This explains the gap not just to the works Mercedes but also to Williams that year.

---

Don't forget the LMP1s are probably on less-sticky tires than F1 - Michelin in WEC are more secretive about the compounds and relative grippiness than Pirelli for F1, but that's what you get in more open rules. Also the P1s weigh much more as well - 2017 weight minimums are 702kg for F1 and 870 kg for LMP1H.

lotharr
Dec 24, 2003

Sorry Mark, we have no idea what's wrong with your KERS mate...

harperdc posted:

Don't forget the LMP1s are probably on less-sticky tires than F1 - Michelin in WEC are more secretive about the compounds and relative grippiness than Pirelli for F1, but that's what you get in more open rules. Also the P1s weigh much more as well - 2017 weight minimums are 702kg for F1 and 870 kg for LMP1H.

All things considered, the LMP1 cars are astounding.

They can corner relatively well compared to a F1 car, have tremendous straight line acceleration and braking due to hybrid / turbo / diesel style tech and are amazingly reliable for the technology in place (unless you're Toyota and the powertrain dies within the last 5 minutes of 24 hrs)

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Sad_Toyota_Engineer.gif

:smith:

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Carth Dookie posted:

Sad_Toyota_Engineer.gif

:smith:

somebody please rebuy me that avatar for this weekend.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:

Basticle posted:

I think they were talking about Spa, right?

*edit*

http://fastestlaps.com/tracks/spa-francorchamps

last year Nico Rosberg did a 1:46.74 at the Belgian GP and this year the Toyota did a 1:53.66 at the 6 hours of Spa last month.

Yeah I meant Spa. My bad.

Brainwrong
Mar 20, 2004

RIP Bobby K
Poland's Rose. Like a cabbage in the wind.
Has anyone watched the Le Mans documentary on Amazon? It's quite good, apart from an awful female voiceover that they have altered to sound like she's speaking via a radio. Very odd. She also says "Nee sonn" instead of "Nissan" which is equally awful.

And the director of Nissan seems like a giant bellend.

andyf
May 18, 2008

happy car is happy

It's the little things about the F1 social media teams that make me :unsmith:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Brainwrong posted:

She also says "Nee sonn" instead of "Nissan" which is equally awful.

Unfortunately for you she's correct. The typical British "niss" rhyming with miss isn't how you pronounce Japanese.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

harperdc posted:

Unfortunately for you she's correct. The typical British "niss" rhyming with miss isn't how you pronounce Japanese.

They horribly butcher the pronunciation of Hyundai, too.

Brainwrong
Mar 20, 2004

RIP Bobby K

harperdc posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9SgZzBHqK0

That sounds more like Niss-ann than nee-sonn

Either way, I'm right and everyone who is foreign is wrong.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Brainwrong posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9SgZzBHqK0

That sounds more like Niss-ann than nee-sonn

Either way, I'm right and everyone who is foreign is wrong.

The "i" sound in Japanese is pronounced like a double ee in English (like cheese) so yeah.

Source: university degree in Japanese

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

English people pronounce literally every word incorrectly.

Brainwrong
Mar 20, 2004

RIP Bobby K

harperdc posted:

The "i" sound in Japanese is pronounced like a double ee in English (like cheese) so yeah.

Source: university degree in Japanese

I'm still right

Source: Hundreds of years of arrogance

To derail this silly argument (that I started) here's a video of Our Kamui's teammates realising just how good his lap was:

https://streamable.com/21axr

aequalis
Aug 11, 2010

Fernando is smugger than you. Can you confirm you understand that message?
Is that Buemi on the right?
He looks like the Beta of the group, always looking over to the other drivers to see how he should be reacting.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

wicka posted:

This reminds me of the french Belgian broadcast of F1 that I now have to watch after BBC quit.
They pronounce every name in French. So you get to watch Laiwiis Amiltone.
They do this deliberately, and it's even mandatory for their reporters, because their arrogance and chauvinism comes close to that of English speakers and it's hard to accept that there are other people with different languages on the planet.

Brainwrong
Mar 20, 2004

RIP Bobby K
loving LOL

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-renault-warns-palmer-deliver-918842/

Renault are now fully accepting he is useless.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

wicka posted:

I do not know how to pronounce my mother's car's name At All. It's the nis-san cash-ki and I'm buggered if I'll ever remember what it's actually supposed to be called.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

In fairness, if they're going to name it stupidly, its nobody's fault if it can't be pronounced. Your mum's car in particular. I'm not even going to try to spell it.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So Carey is going to be the starter for the 24 hours: https://www.motorsport.com/lemans/news/f1-chief-carey-to-serve-as-le-mans-24-hours-starter-919181/

Which leads me to ask: F1 at Sarthe when?

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Why the gently caress is f1 social media giving technical specs on the Ferrari? What the gently caress.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

DoctorGonzo posted:

Why the gently caress is f1 social media giving technical specs on the Ferrari? What the gently caress.

Lmao, they've been writing technical reports on F1.com for a loving eternity my man.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

wicka posted:

Lmao, they've been writing technical reports on F1.com for a loving eternity my man.

But like RBR aereo works like this, Mercedes engine work like this kind of articles?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

DoctorGonzo posted:

But like RBR aereo works like this, Mercedes engine work like this kind of articles?

Yes.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
That LMP1 lap was very impressive, I didn't know they had so much downforce.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

DoctorGonzo posted:

Because it's interesting?

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

DoctorGonzo posted:

Formula1.com, going back like 10+ years, has ran poo poo forever. Full blown articles usually with illustrations from Giorgio Piola.

It's also not information that the other teams don't already know.

And lol forever @ Palmer. It doesn't help that his team mate is world class driver Nico Hulkenberg who drags that shithouse car into much higher places than it belongs.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Pile on another lol while we're at it:

quote:

Force India says it probably should have imposed team orders to switch Sergio Perez and Esteban Ocon in the final stages of the Canadian Grand Prix, as it chased a potential F1 podium finish.

The team was embroiled in controversy in Montreal when Perez was reluctant to voluntarily move over for Ocon as the pair tried to find a way past Red Bull's Daniel Ricciardo.

In the end, Ricciardo held on for third and both Force Indias were overtaken by the charging Sebastian Vettel before the chequered flag.

While Force India never went as far as imposing a direct order on Perez to move aside for Ocon, who was on fresher tyres, the team's COO Otmar Szafnauer reckons that in hindsight it may have been better to have done so.

For once the team had finished discussing the matter with Perez, it had become too late to use team orders because Ferrari's Sebastian Vettel was right on the tail of the pair.

Asked by Motorsport.com about whether or not the team would behave in the same if they did the race again, Szafnauer said: "Hindsight is a wonderful thing because you have more information.

"What I would have done is perhaps swap them earlier – just after the Ferraris pitted. Do it then and it is easy.

"You can get your tyres back up to temperature and there is no risk from behind. Then, if it doesn't happen, you still have time to swap back. We didn't do that, we started discussing it a bit late and then after it was too late."

Szafnauer said the debate on the pitwall at the time about what to do was incredibly complicated because of concerns about the drivers losing time in a swap – and also running the risk of losing tyre temperatures.

"We contemplated swapping them to give them a go, but there are a lot of things that happen when you swap," he said. "You lose time when you swap, but more importantly, you lose tyre temperature - and tyre temperature is really critical.

"So if you do that, you are not back up to speed straight away. We had the Ferraris charging, so there are ifs, ands and buts. Looking at it we, will analyse it. But had we swapped them I don't think Esteban would have got by him."

Pitting Perez

While Force India's thoughts were about swapping the position of drivers, Mercedes strategy chief James Vowles reckons the Silverstone-based team should have pursued a totally different option.

He reckons Force India would have been able to hold off Vettel at the end – as well as have a double opportunity to get past Ricciardo – if they had pitted Perez when Ocon came up behind him.

Speaking in a post-race Mercedes strategy video posted on the team's official website, Vowles said: "The team tried to invert the cars to give it the best chance of the podium but weren't successful in that action.

"However, the team should have then boxed Perez. If they had boxed Perez they would have come out ahead of Kimi [Raikkonen] just after he had stopped, and that would have then put them in the situation where they had removed the options for Ferrari (with Vettel).

"Ferrari now have a car that was on 60 laps tyres at the end of the race, a very compromised car. We saw [Romain] Grosjean make it [after stopping on lap one] but it is not the fastest race, and if Vettel boxes he now comes out behind Perez, which is a complicated decision.

"It leaves Esteban trying to attack Ricciardo for that P3 and if he is not successful, Perez would have caught up again and allowed him the chance to overtake with much fresher tyres. That would have generated a good opportunity for Force India."

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-force-india-perez-ocon-swap-919224/

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

dreesemonkey posted:

That LMP1 lap was very impressive, I didn't know they had so much downforce.

I'm looking at the LMP cars and I can't help thinking "is that really the most aerodynamic shape?"

I'd have thought by the 21st century they'd be driving something completely smooth without any sticky-out bits :shrug:

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
2020 new aero rules kick in allowing movable pre-set aero parts. That's cause the overall aero kit is homologated and they're gonna allow moving parts to accommodate the different tracks.

Weirdly, new safety cell rules where the drivers seat will be more.... upright? Ok. Plus more room in the cockpit. Reduction of windtunnel hours from 900 to 600.

More interestingly, the LMP1 cars have to travel on electric power for 1km after any pit stops and they're going to introduce battery recharging for the pit stops as well. Definitely more in line with modern electric car trends and will probably push the development of faster and faster charging stations for the masses.

That's the way to do it. Let WEC do all the road relevant development stuff as it should be and let F1 just burnout my balls off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I do not want any form of burnout on my balls

• Locked thread