Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
panascope
Mar 26, 2005

I'm not sure how you could fit it all into 2000 points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
I hear it's a pretty easy for for Guard but I don't see a viable way to make it work for Space Marines at 2k

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

I'm pretty sure you can just put units inside of each other in this edition.

E:"inside of each other"

The Kingfish fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jun 16, 2017

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
It's super easy for guard to hit Brigade at 2000pts, they can do it for a lot, lot less.

Re-roll o'rama.

Which is also weird, because I guarantee they'll lose that all again once their codex comes out and platoons are re-introduced.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

God I hope we get platoons back. If guard keep their point value then we're gonna be scary as poo poo in 30 man squads.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
You guys think the Age of Sigmar orks would make good Weirdboyz?

I figure if I make the objects they're holding roughly hewn chunks of brass and add some 40K bits it would work well.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

Honestly I don't think you'd have to change anything about them. Maybe a bit of stuff on the base that's it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

You guys think the Age of Sigmar orks would make good Weirdboyz?

I figure if I make the objects they're holding roughly hewn chunks of brass and add some 40K bits it would work well.

Yeah, I've always preferred the more shamanistic look for weirdboyz over the brainboy crazy frankenstein look that the 40k models have. I was planning on getting one of the top pictured dudes there.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

Xarlaxas posted:

I'm quite fond of their Kurganovas and Iron Empire minis. I'm getting some of the former to make a Shadow War Kill-team, and, maybe, one day, an actual Guard army.

The Jailbirds would make good Catachan/Conscript/I want a pin-up girl armies I guess. Or maybe even Necromunda gangs.

I really want to like their SoB stuff, but I have this thing where I cannot accept SoBs that don't have the Fleur-de-Lys. It's probably my Joan of Arc complex. :v:

I'm getting my hands on some of the Russian SoBs (hopefully tomorrow) and they look like they'll be pretty sweet.

I thought the SoB's had Fleur-de-lys on them? Man I missed that. I love their helmeted models - but it's infuriating that I can't buy any of them currently, and missed the kickstarter.

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah, I've always preferred the more shamanistic look for weirdboyz over the brainboy crazy frankenstein look that the 40k models have. I was planning on getting one of the top pictured dudes there.

I've always wanted a weirdboy who was done up like hannibal lector in the jacket and wheely trolly, with a boy pushing him around looking concerned.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
There at least used to be art of weirdboys in straightjackets

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
For me the 40K Weirdboy just looks dumb, particularly with the straight chains that magically kink at an angle.

Xarlaxas
Sep 2, 2011

Who speaks for the Man's cub?

a cock shaped fruit posted:

I thought the SoB's had Fleur-de-lys on them? Man I missed that. I love their helmeted models - but it's infuriating that I can't buy any of them currently, and missed the kickstarter.

The Raging Heroes renders on the TGG2 Kickstarter don't show any, maybe they added some later? I missed the KS. The Grishnak guys in Russia basically have all the SoB markings on them (including the Fleur-de-lys!) which makes me super happy.

It's really weird that the *one* thing that the companies making "not SoB" keep on leaving out is the Fleur-de-lys: it's not like GW can copyright that, unless they want to go to war with France. . . . :v:

I've always wanted a weirdboy who was done up like hannibal lector in the jacket and wheely trolly, with a boy pushing him around looking concerned.

Sounds awesome: you must do it.

Also, speaking of Proxies/counts as: https://www.ragingheroes.com/products/kst-red-hammer-command do these gals look too heavily armoured to be regular/veteran Guardsmen? I feel they don't look heavily armoured enough to be Storm-troopers, but are certainly a bit more armoured than a conscript. . . .

Maybe I could use those as Veteran Guardsmen and then https://www.ragingheroes.com/products/kst-peoples-legion-command as "regular" guard, so it's easier to tell them apart in the field.

Xarlaxas fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jun 16, 2017

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I use the Goff Rockers for my Wierdboys.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Thundercloud posted:

Bigly marine snap fit looked at in depth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyISnIBMweo

Why does he even want to glue it. I would rather just leave them as snap fit.

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.
Did someone say 3rd party 40k?
After my first NoVA I bought a bunch of clearance mantic corp guys to proxy imperial guard. You get vouchers to use at the vendors, % off coupons etc and it seemed like a good idea at the time. I liked how they stole the Elysian astetic. It does not look as good as the real stuff, not at all, but the price was right, and back then that was a big deal to me.

I was very slow to painting them, but I eventually decided to do a nod-guard army. I have never really even played a game with them. I bought a few of those russian tanks that Goose guy showed off, just to see how far I could get the budget thing to go. Now that sponsons don't need to be EXACTLY in the same place as the real models my count-as poo poo will be a lot easier to get on the table.

Some of you guys were talking about Drew Carey, I saw a battle report recently that might show you how the army plays/dies:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-ZO1xD3lg8&t=573s
I linked it passed the 'intro'

In other news I think MSP and I are finally going to get to play some hams when 8th launches. I was playing around with some lists. My favorite models in the game are demon princes and greater demons, so I made a list!

I don't think it is good at all, but it's the demon version of NidZilla I guess. I will try and just smash him with my big toys. The horrors on the bottom are 'planned summons' to drop down at the end of the game to boost model count on objectives. They also can smite the turn they drop, so that's kinda cool. 28pt 10-body troops that get a smite is a steal btw. All T3 with 4++ too.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Beerdeer posted:

There at least used to be art of weirdboys in straightjackets

I swear there's an older model of a weirdboy in a straight jacket being held down by a couple of grots.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

Xarlaxas posted:

The Grishnak guys in Russia basically have all the SoB markings on them (including the Fleur-de-lys!) which makes me super happy.

I've seen these, but never actually understood how the hell you actually purchase them

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Meeting up with a friend to teach him how to play. He wants to play Tau, bringing my marines and guard so we can make some lists on the fly with what we have. He's played warmachine for ~10 years so has a grasp on wargames.

Is 50 PL a good starting point?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

chutche2 posted:

Meeting up with a friend to teach him how to play. He wants to play Tau, bringing my marines and guard so we can make some lists on the fly with what we have. He's played warmachine for ~10 years so has a grasp on wargames.

I think 50 PL is about 1000 pts or so (This is just fudging it and isn't good math since different armies apparently will respond differently to it) so around there is probably a solid skirmish.

RagnarokAngel fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jun 16, 2017

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Maybe it's because I don't particularly max-out unit options but playing with that list builder I'm finding more often than not my 2000pt lists tend to come out to 100pl on the dot.

yeah I know it's supposed to be a 1-20 ratio but I'm surprised at how it's stuck to that.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Working on my new crazy :catdrugs: black-light fluorescent super-vibrant underwater mantis shrimp tyranids, not totally done but pretty dang pleased with how its looking so far

Not perfect but its only a 'gaunt and I'm testing different colors, also I still need to do the details on the gun and claws. But yeah, pretty happy with this scheme. I think I'm going to stick with it and paint a lot of dudes like this. :)

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

chutche2 posted:

I feel like a guy that plays WM is going to be disappointed by Warhammer unless he is actively seeking a beer and bullshit game.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Maybe it's because I don't particularly max-out unit options but playing with that list builder I'm finding more often than not my 2000pt lists tend to come out to 100pl on the dot.

yeah I know it's supposed to be a 1-20 ratio but I'm surprised at how it's stuck to that.

Yeah I've heard of outliers but even my gimmick list of Kairos/Ahriman/Magnus accompanied by 3 squads of rubrics with rhinos to drive them comes out to only 103.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

JBP posted:

I feel like a guy that plays WM is going to be disappointed by Warhammer unless he is actively seeking a beer and bullshit game.

Our entire gaming group is former 4th ed players that quit and started playing warmachine and are now switching back. He knows what he's in for, he's the only one of us that hasn't played.

genola
Apr 7, 2011

I've seen these, but never actually understood how the hell you actually purchase them

You email the guy asking to order a set and send him your paypal email. I'll PM you his email. I got a set and I've been working on them slowly, but they look pretty good when they're done!

edit: A phone post of 2 out of 5 done. Holy poo poo my place is dusty!

genola fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Jun 16, 2017

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya
It's kind of funny when you look at an army you painted over a decade ago and go, well that looks terrible compared to my new stuff lol.

Gonna be throwing them all into some simple green tomorrow

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

Black_Nexus posted:

It's kind of funny when you look at an army you painted over a decade ago and go, well that looks terrible compared to my new stuff lol.

Gonna be throwing them all into some simple green tomorrow

Regardless of paint quality, I love Red Sisters - such a great scheme.

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya

Regardless of paint quality, I love Red Sisters - such a great scheme.

Order of the bloody rose for life!

At least I think that is the chapter I painted them like, it's been awhile.

Nurgle has been my jam for years

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

Black_Nexus posted:

Order of the bloody rose for life!

At least I think that is the chapter I painted them like, it's been awhile.

Nurgle has been my jam for years

Imagine.....chaos sisters :allears:

gilljoy
May 3, 2009
Is there a tool for making those lists with the model stats and art on them?

eSportseXpert
Jun 24, 2005

Stupid fucking white man.

Busty commissars aside,

...you're looking at the faction with proxy sculpts even more cheesecake than a busty commissar could ever hope to be?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

I think that was done and it didn't go so well. :(

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

You know, makes me think... regardless of the Imperium's reason for stuff, Chaos don't give no fucks.

So even if there are no lady space marines... there's really no reason why there shouldn't be lady chaos marines. ESPECIALLY Slaanesh.

Not every chaos marine is a veteran of the long war, they replenish their ranks from time to time with various methods.

There is that one Sister who turned to Slaanesh, don't forget.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Crossposting from the painting thread.

Just have roughly another 30 warbikers to paint.

My end goal is my entire Ork army starts the game on wheels.

Floppychop posted:

Continuing with my recent Ork Warbike efforts I just finished up a warboss on a warbike, with his "loyal" attack squig.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Zaphod42 posted:

You know, makes me think... regardless of the Imperium's reason for stuff, Chaos don't give no fucks.

So even if there are no lady space marines... there's really no reason why there shouldn't be lady chaos marines. ESPECIALLY Slaanesh.

Not every chaos marine is a veteran of the long war, they replenish their ranks from time to time with various methods.

There is that one Sister who turned to Slaanesh, don't forget.

Why would it be especially Slaanesh? For the titties? None of the chaos gods care who is doing their work so long as it gets done.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

JBP posted:

Why would it be especially Slaanesh? For the titties? None of the chaos gods care who is doing their work so long as it gets done.

Yeah none of them care, which is what I said first. But Slaanesh involves a lot of beauty and vanity, and excess often manifested as lust, and those kinds of things are often depicted historically with women characters. Some of that is sexism and its always good to break the tradition, they shouldn't exclusively be ladies of course, and guys like Lucius and Sigvald the Magnificent are perfect; it just seems like if any of the chaos gods would say "hey make some lady marines already" it would be Slaanesh.

Also Slaanesh tends to manifest as female and uses female pronouns where the other chaos gods typically use male pronouns (but all are considered ultimately sexless immortal entities so its kinda a wash)

But I don't see any reason why Khorne or Nurgle would care, or especially Tzeentch either come to think of it.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Not all chaos marines are veterans of the long war sure but I assumed they were all still space marines who "Fell from grace"?

Normal humans who fall to chaos are usually like chaos cultists aren't they?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

RagnarokAngel posted:

Not all chaos marines are veterans of the long war sure but I assumed they were all still space marines who "Fell from grace"?

Yeah and it's only the psykers that get much love. It's very hard to praise khorne as hard a nine foot tall killing machine can when you're just a bloke.

I think humans just turn into a daemon if they get some attention as opposed to a space marine who is valuable in marine form or as something better if they win enough praise.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

RagnarokAngel posted:

Nah there's all kinds of exceptions. The Daemonculaba created space marines from unholy genetic engineering of otherwise normal humans; and I feel like I've heard of recruiting from demon worlds and growing new soldiers in the chaos codex somewhere...

Normal humans who fall to chaos are chaos cultists, yes. But if they prove themselves they could ascend, like how a chaos marine can ascend to become a daemon. And like JBP said, psykers especially are usually selected and allowed to ascend, since they prove more valuable to chaos power or more accepting of chaos mutations than plain cultists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.

gilljoy posted:

Is there a tool for making those lists with the model stats and art on them?

https://webapplications-webroster.rhcloud.com/rc/web/#!/rosterCreator

The info is not perfect yet. I think they are still working on it? I noticed stuff like Be'lakor only has 4 wounds and no save listed. Also I could not find any fortifications beyond that one giant fortress.

• Locked thread