Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
Some MLS player was driving drunk as gently caress

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/orlando-city-lions/os-cyle-larin-dui-orlando-city-20170615-story.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Oh for fucks sakes

Of course its the only canadian player worth a poo poo

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
tbf he seems to have it relatively together on the video

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Is "Cyle" meant to be "Kyle"? What the gently caress is wrong with North America?

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Corrode posted:

Is "Cyle" meant to be "Kyle"? What the gently caress is wrong with North America?

why dont black people have white people names

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

RideTheSpiral posted:

"white people names"

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

Eau de MacGowan posted:

tbf he seems to have it relatively together on the video

he blew twice the legal limit, though. he was wasted!

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Weaponized Cum posted:

he blew twice the legal limit, though. he was wasted!

I wonder what is going to happen to him since he's a Canadian citizen with a US green card.

If you get a DWI in the US that's grounds for not being admitted into Canada since DWI is a felony in Canada.

Reprisal
Jul 20, 2001
(blowing over "the legal limit" only creates a legal presumption. he could easily be acquitted if he doesnt look drunk on video.)

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Reprisal posted:

(blowing over "the legal limit" only creates a legal presumption. he could easily be acquitted if he doesnt look drunk on video.)

I don't think this is true.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Reprisal posted:

How about driving the wrong way down the street and almost causing a head on collision?

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

He also admitted to having 2-3 drinks when talking to the cop (never talk to cops)

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Shrapnig posted:

I wonder what is going to happen to him since he's a Canadian citizen with a US green card.

If you get a DWI in the US that's grounds for not being admitted into Canada since DWI is a felony in Canada.

Not sure if the distinction matters but the player is being charged with a DUI, not DWI.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Weaponized Cum posted:

He also admitted to having 2-3 drinks when talking to the cop (never talk to cops)

This is solid advice for a variety of reasons. Mainly incriminating yourself.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

RideTheSpiral posted:

Actually Cyle is about as white prole of a name as you can get, up there with Jaden

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

African AIDS cum posted:

Actually Cyle is about as white prole of a name as you can get, up there with Jaden

Any permutation of _aden/_ayden, really

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

Not sure if the distinction matters but the player is being charged with a DUI, not DWI.

Doesn't change the penalties in the US, one is just used to encompass non-alcohol impairment.

Reprisal
Jul 20, 2001

blue footed boobie posted:

I don't think this is true.

Florida may have a separate "driving with an elevated BAC" charge, but for DUI/DWI it's just a presumption, "prima facie evidence."

Shrapnig posted:

How about driving the wrong way down the street and almost causing a head on collision?

that's good evidence, but not conclusive. i've seen worse- he didn't cause a wreck, only drove like an idiot. how people look and sound on video is often a determining factor for American juries in these cases.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Reprisal posted:

Florida may have a separate "driving with an elevated BAC" charge, but for DUI/DWI it's just a presumption, "prima facie evidence."

that's good evidence, but not conclusive. i've seen worse- he didn't cause a wreck, only drove like an idiot. how people look and sound on video is often a determining factor for American juries in these cases.

Where did you attend law school?

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Reprisal posted:

DUI cases generally don't go to trial/jury unless the defendant really thinks they're innocent or if there's some sort of third party involved(accident/property damage/injury).

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Reprisal posted:

I've seen a couple DUI cases, and it usually hinges on whether the breathalyzer was functioning and inspected properly, or if you have an explanation why there would be a false reading. Saying you weren't even that drunk doesn't really do much.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

I've seen a couple DUI cases, and it usually hinges on whether the breathalyzer was functioning and inspected properly, or if you have an explanation why there would be a false reading. Saying you weren't even that drunk doesn't really do much.

My cousin got his thrown out because the prosecution lost the paperwork. Helps that his lawyer was head of the local republican party and handpicked the judge on the case. Shady as poo poo, but hey this America

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Shrapnig posted:

Doesn't change the penalties in the US, one is just used to encompass non-alcohol impairment.

Right, but I was referring to what you were saying about DWI being a felony in Canada and thus our friend Cyle might not be able to go back. DUI treated the same in that case or differently?

Probs goes without saying but I know poo poo about Canadian law

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
lol why would he want to go back to Canada?

stab
Feb 12, 2003

JFairfax posted:

lol why would he want to go back to Canada?

Healthcare

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Right, but I was referring to what you were saying about DWI being a felony in Canada and thus our friend Cyle might not be able to go back. DUI treated the same in that case or differently?

Probs goes without saying but I know poo poo about Canadian law

lol no you don't lose Canadian citizenship for getting a DUI

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Canada seems like a pretty cool place to live imo.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
lol it was a huge deal when our last government passed a law allowing the Canadian government to strip citizenship from people convicted of terrorism offences in other countries

No one is losing Canadian citizenship for drunk driving you idiots

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Only one idiot thought that was the case.

I was just stating the fact that Canada can deny you entry to the country if you have a DUI conviction in the US.

My curiosity was based on the fact that he's a Canadian national who got a DUI in the US and how that could impact him when he's back in Canada.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

Its the other way around. Canada wont have a problem, its the Americans who might have issue with readmitting him given he's not a national. However given the status of his work visa...ehhbh doubtful

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
If you are a Canadian citizen you are allowed to enter Canada no matter what, period, end of story. That's how citizenship works. On the other hand as stab points out, if found guilty the US (and every other country) would have the right to refuse him entry should they choose to.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

African AIDS cum posted:

lol no you don't lose Canadian citizenship for getting a DUI

Um that's not what I asked or said

Shrapnig posted:

I was just stating the fact that Canada can deny you entry to the country if you have a DUI conviction in the US.

This is what I was referring to

stab
Feb 12, 2003

A citizen of Canada can not lose entry to Canada for any conviction except terrorism

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I'd like for all of you to lost your right to post in this thread

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Would people just become stateless refugees trapped in the airport like that Tom Hanks movie then or did you not think this through

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

I guess I misread Shrapnig's original post. When he said -

Shrapnig posted:

I thought he was talking about the specific case that was linked. I didn't realize he was making a general statement referring to non-Canadian citizens. But hey it's been cleared up now and I did, in fact, not think it through

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Soulex posted:

Canada seems like a pretty cool place to live imo.

especially in the winters

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Modric is apparently under investigation for perjury in Croatia. There's some weird backstory to it involving the owner of Zagreb that I don't really understand.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

Modric is apparently under investigation for perjury in Croatia. There's some weird backstory to it involving the owner of Zagreb that I don't really understand.

I posted a link to a story on the previous page of this thread that explains it decently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Is anyone on Real Madrid not guilty or under investigation for anything???