Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
gently caress Person of Interest, this show sucks.

S3e9.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Snak posted:

S3e9.

If that's the one I think it is, the next episode is one of the best of the entire series, so strap in.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Edit: it's the one where. a certain detective died.

This show is gonna have to pull something amazing out of its rear end to keep me watching it.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

It's goes on to great things. It was a big deal in the thread too when it happened.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, but most fans of this show seem to like Amy Acker...

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Snak posted:

Edit: it's the one where. a certain detective died.

This show is gonna have to pull something amazing out of its rear end to keep me watching it.

Is that the one where Reese out of literally nowhere professes his love for Carter? Yeah that was the dumbest and shittiest thing and apparently was just Caviezel improving and they left it in because everyone involved had been in a coma in north korea for 15 months or something.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Snak posted:

Yeah, but most fans of this show seem to like Amy Acker...

I didn't like Root, especially after she got all OOOOH IM THE MACHINE'S PROPHET!

I am probably in the minority. I also didn't finish the show, so..

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I didn't think that was that bad.

I mean it was probably the most interesting his character ever was in the entire show.

They could have built it into something interesting, but nooope.

Edit: ^ yeah she just went all 2 guns slomo :barf:

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Snak posted:

The opening for the next episode is fantastic. S3E09 could have killed the show, but it did not. It still remains very much worth watching.

edit: huh, noticed that typo way too late, not that anyone will go back and see the fix anymore.

tetrapyloctomy fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jun 16, 2017

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Watching Oh Hello and I am so glad they filmed this.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I'm not sure if they're worth seeking out. I'm more familiar with what they're parodying now than I would have been then (James Bond mainly but also every single ITC adventure show Lew Grade produced in the 1960s but especially Peter Wyngarde as Jason King).

The first one's probably worth it, if you still have a soft spot for that particular brand of 90's broad, goofy comedies...the second, not so much, especially as you've seen Goldmember. You already know how up its own rear end the series got by the end; The Spy Who Shagged Me is like 75% as self-satisfied, and like 50% the same jokes.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Snak posted:

I wouldn't consider The Americans to have "tedious side plots" or "unchanging character dynamics".

Neither would I but so many goons have said it by now that I'll just assume I'm the crazy one. I mean, looking at the disparity between how good I thought Patriot was and its critical reception, there's clearly something off about my tv opinions

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Americans has universal critical acclaim so we're not the weird ones. It's the 2-3 people here that say it sucks. Though the viewing ratings are a dumpster fire...

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

swickles posted:

It's beautiful and I don't even usually like Nick Kroll in anything that isn't The League.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

precision posted:

It's beautiful and I don't even usually like Nick Kroll in anything that isn't The League.

Also, in case people don't realize, every show had a different person for the Too Much Tuna segment. You can find a ton of them on YouTube. Both of them were terrified when Chris Pratt actually started eating the tuna.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Watch Nick Kroll suffer through the hottest of hot sauces. Credit to him for eating the whole chicken wing. The other celebrities just take a bite of each one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwmhT0YP_Ps

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Well I think The Handmaids Tale is probably the best television series since Breaking Bad and the Sopranos and The Wire combined. Holy poo poo.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Just in case anyone enjoying Oh Hello on Netflix hasn't seen this slice of awesome, reposting it here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkitRyvdtJY

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Hollismason posted:

Well I think The Handmaids Tale is probably the best television series since Breaking Bad and the Sopranos and The Wire combined. Holy poo poo.

Watch Mad Men and The Leftovers.

Handmaid's Tale to me overall ended like....it did a really fuckin good IMPRESSION of a prestige drama but the writing wasn't really all there in that respect. It mostly works due to the performances and cinematography.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Escobarbarian posted:

Watch Mad Men and The Leftovers.

Handmaid's Tale to me overall ended like....it did a really fuckin good IMPRESSION of a prestige drama but the writing wasn't really all there in that respect. It mostly works due to the performances and cinematography.

Really?

I know people seemed to really like Leftovers but I never thought it was getting Wire/Sopranos/Breaking Bad/Mad Men love.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It is, and deservedly so. It just has a smaller audience/never really took footing in the mainstream compared to most of those others.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Escobarbarian posted:

I watched Oh, Hello on Broadway (on Netflix) and it was wonderful.

It did nothing for me

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

STAC Goat posted:

Really?

I know people seemed to really like Leftovers but I never thought it was getting Wire/Sopranos/Breaking Bad/Mad Men love.

Surely moreso than Handmaids Tale because holy poo poo.....

Hollismason posted:

It's a good show, but c'mon now.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Mike Myers donated a good chunk of his personal fortune to a small blu-ray label in the UK when they were in financial troubles basically ensuring they will go on forever restoring and caring for old films that would otherwise be forgotten. He's a really great guy with a passion for film only matched by Tarantino. He just doesn't have that much creativity left and has suffered a backlash.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Snak posted:

What I heard is they realized mid production that they needed to do some expensive reshoots to make existing episodes work (I think they had to rebuild the bar set and reshoot everything there), so they ended up being able to afford 2 less episodes, but they knew early enough to restructure stuff for a shorter season. So it's not like the end of the season is just gone​, but they were planning to have a bit more space to tell the story in.

I actually can't remember if it's one or 2 episodes that were cut... The next season should be "full" length though.

They also needed to refilm everything with Mad Sweeny, since the original actor dropped out three weeks into production.

And yeah, they had to cut two episodes.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

PriorMarcus posted:

Mike Myers donated a good chunk of his personal fortune to a small blu-ray label in the UK when they were in financial troubles basically ensuring they will go on forever restoring and caring for old films that would otherwise be forgotten. He's a really great guy with a passion for film only matched by Tarantino. He just doesn't have that much creativity left and has suffered a backlash.

I really like him, but I have zero interest in any of his recent films.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I could have sworn he starred in Don't Mess with the Zohan but it's the other famous comedian that gave up on being good.

Cart
Sep 28, 2004

They see me rollin...

I watched Austin Powers: IMOM on the plane last month for the first time in over a decade and it really held up. I used to be able to quote it by heart, but you get older and then Anchorman and then Zoolander and then you realize Big Lebowski or Wet Hot American Summer are the better cult comedies to take over your heart.

But yeah, Austin Powers 1 was really fun.

I should rewatch Hot Shots Part Deux.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I still have a soft spot for the first two Austin Powers flicks but otherwise think Myers' work is pretty awful. He seems like a nice dude, though. He directed a documentary about agent Shep Gordon a few years ago.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Do not want if it ends up on network tv

Counterpoint: We all said that about Limitless.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Snak posted:

S3e9.

That the episode where Bear gets hit by the self driving car?

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Open Source Idiom posted:

They also needed to refilm everything with Mad Sweeny, since the original actor dropped out three weeks into production.

According to the story at the time he had only filmed two scenes, so it's hardly as huge as you're making it sound.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

swickles posted:

It was awesome, and reminded me a lot of the Rik Mayall and Adrian Edmondson's Bottom Live shows.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Hollismason posted:

That's entirely correct.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I never liked the Austin Powers or Wayne’s World movies (I did like the SNL sketches though) but I think So I Married an Axe Murderer is a super underrated gem of a comedy movie.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

X-O posted:

I never liked the Austin Powers or Wayne’s World movies (I did like the SNL sketches though) but I think So I Married an Axe Murderer is a super underrated gem of a comedy movie.

So I Married an Axe Murderer is definitely excellent

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
My DSL is on the fritz until next week and I'm a cord cutter.

Send help.

I'm sad :(

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Hollismason posted:

It must get a lot less boring by the end because I'm stymied around episode 8. Maybe I'll finish it this weekend. It's good, but nowhere near the level of those shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Okay, Fusco just did Reese's speach to Carter back at him, which is amazing. This episode has been really good.

Saul Rubinek is alway great.

• Locked thread