Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
the council are trying to run the story that the occupants didn't want a sprinkler system installed the fuckers. i hope they go to prison since they're responsible

https://twitter.com/DailyMirror/sta...er%3D497%23pti4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
We offered to install essential, lifesaving safety features but someone who shall remain unnamed (?) complained so we couldn't reach a ~collective view~ and gave up.

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
not a UK story as I live in Texas but I used to live next to (practically above) a barbecue restaurant (true fact) that caught fire at midnight. I went out for a cigarette and saw the smoke coming from the roof, smelled what was clearly a burning building, called the emergency number and was told not to worry about it because they were probably just cooking brisket :downs:

Luckily I also lived a block from a fire station, so I ran down the street and banged on the door and frantically explained what was happening like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ephTpUsYPxY&t=22s

The firefighters made it from the station to the restaurant in about a minute. The building was still a total loss though.

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme
so when is THeresa May going to start a war to maek all this go away?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Top City Homo posted:

so when is THeresa May going to start a war to maek all this go away?

have you not been paying attention to her efforts in northern ireland?

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Vermain posted:

anyways the landlords should be imprisoned for life and have all of their assets seized and disbursed

Problem is most large scale properties are owned by a huge number of stakeholders and an even huger number of financial products will have assets directly or indirectly linked to the performance/projected earnings of the property, and the same will be true of the management company.

It's not like there's one sleazy guy rolling in his money pile and sneering at the poors, although don't get me wrong there might well be a few particular CEO and figurehead types that fit that bill, a not insignificant slice of the entire capitalist class will have had a financial stake in the circumstances of this and similar properties but will also have a shitload of protections keeping them from any legal culpability for it.

Justice here is impossible, the best that can be hoped for is a systemic change focusing on people as people instead of people as profit extraction units, but honestly that ain't likely as the afformentioned capitalists have more social and political clout than you or I could ever dream of.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

when i was in scottland, they told me not to smoke too close to the buildings. i guess this is why!

also, i hope you guys enjoy the troubles 2: dupple trouble

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Condiv posted:

also, i hope you guys enjoy the troubles 2: dupple trouble

The ultimate example of Holywood remakes that nobody wanted.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

quote:

Yet in London these disasters seem to affect only social housing towers: the collapse of Ronan Point in 1968, the fires at Lakanal House in 2009, Shepherds Court last year and Grenfell House this week. Clearly cost has something to do with it, but the irony is that it seems this latest tragedy was exacerbated by spending. The block had just undergone an £8.7m refit — but to what end? The cladding that is now under such scrutiny was fitted partly to improve insulation but also to encase the concrete façade in a smooth simulacrum of the commercial private towers rising across the city. The dangers of flammable cladding materials and the cavities behind them in which fire can spread unseen have been known for years. These cheap and nasty, and perhaps even lethal, panels represent an attempt to screen the original nature of the architecture of modernist social housing.

Fashion is shifting. The concrete towers once derided as slums in the sky have been rediscovered. Trellick Tower, the concrete high rise completed by architect Erno Goldfinger two years before nearby Grenfell Tower, is now a highly desirable address. The residents of the same architect’s Balfron Tower in east London have been turfed out while their old flats are turned into luxury housing. The uncompromising concrete aesthetic that Kensington and Chelsea borough council was attempting to conceal is now so fashionable it has been commodified as urban authenticity. What they were trying to hide was the image of the high-rise as “sink estate”.

The legacy of well intentioned architectural meddling easily elides into social cleansing — estates in deprived but well-located neighbourhoods somehow fail to find alternative accommodation for the tenants they have “decanted”. But in parallel, there has also been a long and successful political campaign to denigrate regulation.

The building regulations in place when Grenfell Tower was designed demanded generous space standards (which were abandoned by Margaret Thatcher’s government in 1980) and made rigorously codified fire provision for escape and compartmentation. These had been eroded in the rebuilding of Grenfell Tower as more flats were squeezed in to increase accommodation.

Regulation has been denounced as “red tape” and the Conservatives have consistently voted against legislation to regulate landlords’ obligations better. Building regulations for fire prevention and safety have not been reviewed for more than a decade, even though most regulations are re-examined every couple of years to keep pace with changing technology and materials.

The right has gleefully pointed to Brexit as an opportunity for a “bonfire” of red tape. Sparks from a bonfire, however, can sometimes catch.

https://www.ft.com/content/80c884d4-51af-11e7-a1f2-db19572361bb

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

a substantial number of tory mp's are landlords which is why they consistently vote against such things as forcing all landlords ot make their properties livable

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

gently caress. Even the ft are going after them?

Call another election to let the absolute boy in, Teresa. It's the only way to end the pain.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

The Troubles 2: Contrived Sequel Joke

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The Troubles 2: Contrived Sequel Joke
It will be fought with memes

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

It will be fought with memes

Me n da boys are crossin the peace line tonoight ta paint Union Jack Pepes all over the fookin Sinn Fein murals

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Pinching from UKMT:

goddamnedtwisto posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/jun/15/experts-warned-government-against-cladding-material-used-on-grenfell

Holy gently caress if this is true - that they put loving gas pipes through communal areas and didn't even fireproof them - then they're going to have open a new loving prison.

Other tower blocks to have had gas pipes retrofitted have had the pipes go up the outside of the building - presumably this wasn't an option here because it would have ruined the sleek pretty looks and been more expensive because they'd need to use copper rather than PVC, so we're just going to run flammable gas lines through the only means of escape from a fire

Whimsicalfuckery posted:

May isn't going back to the site of the disaster, she's going to the hospital to meet victims who hopefully are unconscious and won't be able to ask any difficult questions.
I repeat again: Echoes of South Korea ferry disaster + government bungling response.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
The Tories are absolutely on the hook for the people dying and I hope Labour grows the balls to take them out on it

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
"Strong and stable" as the PM hides from the public after 100+ burn to death in a tower. Which by the way, is a disaster that strikes right at the center of the UK's housing crisis, and is an outcome of the same forces (and the same people) which created it.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
Was having a look around twitter and found several Tory supporters (The pro-brexit/anti-UKIP, "not racist" but need to do something sensible about immigration types) are very anti Sky News because they think it has a pro-labour and even pro-Corbyn bias which confused the hell out of me. Is this a thing? Has it ever been a thing? I mean obviously always plenty of complaints about Sky having a right/tory bias, hadn't seen this before though.

Edit: Possibly because they're not as overtly anti-everything/all Muslims are terrorists as right wing print?

Also

guardian posted:

Jeremy Corbyn to appear on Pyramid stage at Glastonbury festival 2017

Gravy Jones has issued a correction as of 12:20 on Jun 16, 2017

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

I don't watch Sky so I don't know where it lies on the relatively neutral - Tory propaganda outlet scale, but it's a Murdoch outfit and that's all you need to know it isn't pro-Corbyn and would only be pro-Labour if it saw an angle to promote New Labour.

I think broadcast news is under heavier regulation than print so it wouldn't surprise me if it isn't as vile as the Tory press.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

its also possible that with just how anti-corbyn the bbc has been people watch sky news and since it isn't that bad they think its pro-corbyn

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Paul Mason and Owen Jones, who are pro-Corbyn, are sometime Sky News contributors. The main hosts like Adam Boulton and Kay Burleigh not so much.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
That makes sense. Obviously no way in hell it's pro-labour in general, but to the average Daily Mail reader anything that isn't constantly and consistantly calling Jezza a terrorist and freaking out about Muslims is considerable left of center :rolleyes:

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

The Grenfell blaze is a disaster that rivals third world factory fires. I dunno how people can still contort themselves into claiming pro-Corbyn bias without eating their own rear end in a top hat.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
it's a great reminder of why may earned the nickname 'submarine'

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
I think Sky is only "pro-Corbyn" in comparison to newspapers due to the higher regulation.

Incidently, Corbyn and his campaign team appear to have learned their lessons well from the SNP, who made a very conscious decision to ignore print media when they won their supermajority. Focused on getting lots of people on TV and getting supporters on social media.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

j. corbs will be introducing run the jewels at glastonbury this year

i can only hope that he fills in for zach de la rocha's on 'close your eyes and count to gently caress'

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Jose posted:

have you not been paying attention to her efforts in northern ireland?

the tribe of brityish israel will take its rigteful place among the nations as holy people *shits pants starts civil war*

theresa may "heh strong and stable, lads"

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

It's not true but lol things are so bad that there are rumours the death toll has a gagging order on it

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PST posted:

May's visit to the church shows she, nope, wait, she really doesn't give a gently caress

https://twitter.com/DavidhBrown/status/875741823435776000

Heyyyeyyy...

...smoke poors everyday!

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

So is there any kind of formal deadline for this Queen's Speech and forming a government with the DUP business? Or can May stall for weeks (months?) until they negotiate a deal?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/622903/Grenfell-Tower-Fire-Theresa-May-Church-Prime-Minister-St-Celments-Police-London-Block

public's mad lol

bawfuls posted:

So is there any kind of formal deadline for this Queen's Speech and forming a government with the DUP business? Or can May stall for weeks (months?) until they negotiate a deal?
Much like the Trump doing whatever he likes thing, ~nobody really knows~

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Taintrunner posted:

Heyyyeyyy...

...smoke poors everyday!

it's not going well

https://twitter.com/HannahAlOthman/status/875752423238881280

it's very much not going well

https://twitter.com/itvnews/status/875752135346049026

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

it'd say this could bring down the government but we don't even have a government lol

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

:getin:

https://twitter.com/evertonfc2/status/875662965839724545

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

this guy is extremely extremely good

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

spin mode: ACTIVATE

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2017-06-16/beware-of-blaming-government-for-london-tower-fire

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://twitter.com/cushbomb/status/875770247256711169

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Peel posted:

it'd say this could bring down the government but we don't even have a government lol

Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

London Lit