Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Isn't the bigger story the fact that Rhyno thinks frosted mini wheats are a part of lunch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

Isn't the bigger story the fact that Rhyno thinks frosted mini wheats are a part of lunch?

IT'S AN EXCELLENT SOURCE OF FIBER

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

Yeah, if you're a small child following around your parents in a comic book shop.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Are you going to cancel his dad's pull list?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

He's just on the Geoff Johns diet.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
MINI WHEATS ARE DELICIOUS

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Rhyno posted:

MINI WHEATS ARE DELICIOUS

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Teenage Fansub posted:

He's just on the Geoff Johns diet.

He wasn't eating bullshit.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Rhyno posted:

So what you're saying is, you hope that kid has a lovely day?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Anora posted:

So what you're saying is, you hope that kid has a lovely day?

lol

YES

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Rhyno posted:

It's not that exciting, just the weirdest thing to happen in months.

I take a lot of small snacks to work with me so I can nibble all day. I had a bag of frosted mini wheats with me today. I opened the bag, ate two of them and then sat them on the counter behind a pile of comics and went to help a customer. I came back and they were gone. I was puzzled, looked for them and didn't see them. I thought my coworker was loving with me and then I saw a kid (maybe 10 or so) walking behind his parents as they left, eating my goddamned mini wheats.

At least it was a child and you can sort of write it off as kids not respecting boundaries. I work in EMS and brought a patient to the ER one night. Upon entering the triage area, there's no one there - but the nurse on duty had left a small dixie cup with some jelly beans in it on her little stand. The patient walks over, picks up the dixie cup and just starts happily munching away. Nurse comes back and says "Where are my jelly beans?" Patient replies "They're mine now" and continues to eat them with no shame whatsoever.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Hey Rhyno, is this about right from your experiences?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Man. I wanna read these secret retailer message boards!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

What happened in today's solicits?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Teenage Fansub posted:

Man. I wanna read these secret retailer message boards!

So do I!

Lol, I got kicked out of the main FB group again.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

If you played nicely with the other children...

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
My LCS is picking up customers from one that closed downtown and apparently many of them expect the same deals. Problem is, those deals that they were getting was probably the reason the other store went under. Apparently they were doing things like charging regulars just above cost for Statues, which is kind of insane.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

irlZaphod posted:

If you played nicely with the other children...

Marvel's reps tell blatant lies and I can't seem to keep from calling them out on it.

twistedmentat posted:

My LCS is picking up customers from one that closed downtown and apparently many of them expect the same deals. Problem is, those deals that they were getting was probably the reason the other store went under. Apparently they were doing things like charging regulars just above cost for Statues, which is kind of insane.

Um, do you shop at my store?

trashbuilder
Dec 26, 2013

Look at all the poor opinions I have

twistedmentat posted:

One Million was competing with Silver Snail, and they closed down because their store was being turned into condos (hell yeah toronto, keep loving up that downtown)

Silver Snail still does US cover price for pull list, so i moved down there.

(i believe you mentioned you were from toronto but i could be wrong)

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Nope you're right. US cover isn't too unreasonable but also free accounts a bunch of other stuff must have hurt. Their setup at anime north was all Pops.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So here's something that recently played out at work.

A guy brought in a stack of comics to sell. He told me "Joey said you'd hook me up." Joey ended up being a former regular at the store and FB friend of mine. He also sketches for us on FCBD. The dude hands me the pile and they are garbage. Ultraverse, Defiant, Triumphant, and 90's DC stuff. All beat to hell. All garbage. Nothing of value at all. I told the guy how much they were worth and what our offer could be and he said "Nah, I'll just loving keep them." and left.

I got irritated with that Joey guy for making a promise on my behalf that I would hook this dude up or whatever but I got over it and forgot about it. Until I chanced on a google review on Thursday.

quote:

Great store but the "comic guy" in there is absolutely terrible. He comes out of the back to look at my books I was wanting to sell. Not a word from him the whole time he man handling all of my books. When he told us to come over and give us his offer he threw every comic on the counter noting it's price. Said no thank you and left.

I FB searched the name and there he is, the dude from before and yeah, there's the friend in common. Now, the thing that really rings untrue about the review is the "not a word" part because I seriously never shut up. When I buy comics I try to engage the seller through the whole experience. This dude is just pissy because his trash comics were worthless.

So I message the Joey dude and he gets super lovely because as the other dude tells it I tried to rip him off. So after much back and forth I have sadly ended that friendship.

I made this post mostly to make a point. If you work in retail, don't become friends with your customers. Especially if you're in a position to be purchasing merchandise from people. They'll expect more from you based on a flimsy personal connection. I've since messaged every one of my friends that I made through work and nicely requested that they no longer contact me about business over my personal FB account and asked them to use the store account since I want to avoid this type of thing in the future.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Wow gently caress that guy and gently caress Joey. At best he should have promised you'd look at them faster than normal or something. "Hook you up" sounds like he was expecting enough money for drugs or something.

Everyone is convinced their sitting on a gold mine of comics. Unless you have something like a #1 of a popular series, First Apperance of, Death of, or first issue by a certain creative team or something else that makes it a landmark issue, its probably going to be worth nothing.

A guy got pissy at my LCS because they didn't want his collection of early to mid 90s Heavy Metals. He then wrote a yelp review saying that "the store doesn't know anything, they passed up clearly valuable comics". As if he had mint Frank Miller Daredevils or something.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Us 90s teenagers looked at how much comics were worth from the years before and of course it made sense that our books would be the same in 20 years.

My dad used to yell at me for wasting money on comic books and bags/boards. I will admit I thought I was sitting on a long term investment, like that dude, the difference being I quickly learned that nope, comics are good to read but will be a negative ROIC.

That said, I did think Preacher was going to be huge and bought doubles of each issue. And I don't want to brag, but I ended up selling that second set for 150% of what I paid a few years after it ended! Glad I got rid of it while I could make a profit and not held onto a worthless book until 2017!

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
Hahaha yeah I have a buddy at work who is convinced his comics are worth hundreds (they're like Death of Superman and poo poo like that). I don't have the heart to tell them they're not worth anything.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

When I was a kid in the 90's my dad would buy 2 copies of every comic I read, one for me to read and one to sell later and fund my college tuition. This was the 90's comic boom so obviously none of it is worth anything, though it's loving hilarious to me that my parents likely have most of a complete run of the Spider-Man clone saga bagged in mint condition in their storage unit.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Luckily my dad never bought into the hype. All my "might be worth something" comics are 12 centers he bought from flea markets.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Open Marriage Night posted:

Luckily my dad never bought into the hype. All my "might be worth something" comics are 12 centers he bought from flea markets.

There's actually some decent stories inside the clone saga, and it meant my dad was buying me all the comics I wanted so I'm not complaining. The double buying adds up to a few hundred bucks over several years, so in terms of dumb investments it's not that bad.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So clearly the word is out. We're getting on average one call per day from people wanting to sell their comics. Today we got a couple hundred Silver age books, with some pretty excellent highlights.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
That's some good poo poo.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That GL/GA is totally MINE.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Rhyno posted:

So clearly the word is out. We're getting on average one call per day from people wanting to sell their comics. Today we got a couple hundred Silver age books, with some pretty excellent highlights.

drat, that's the first appearance of Guy Gardner in the bottom left, GL #59! I'm surprised you haven't called dibs on that one.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

That GL/GA is totally MINE.

That's the one I wanted.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

drat, that's the first appearance of Guy Gardner in the bottom left, GL #59! I'm surprised you haven't called dibs on that one.

I already own an incredibly high grade copy and a so-so copy that was a gift from a fellow BSSer.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Star Spangled War Stories, like the time a sub fought a t-rex

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

AlmightyBob posted:

Star Spangled War Stories, like the time a sub fought a t-rex

Or when a zombie had to save the world from a biological virus two years ago.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I like how Hal is too lazy to get up from his seat to help everyone on The Runaway Room!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

That Star-Spangled War Stories can't possibly be as good as that cover wants me to believe it is.

Is this because DCBS closed?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Endless Mike posted:

That Star-Spangled War Stories can't possibly be as good as that cover wants me to believe it is.

Is this because DCBS closed?

Nah, DCBS never dealt in vintage. The only other place that does in town has a really bad rep for ripping people off. The guy we got this batch from says he was offered $40 for the box. We gave him over $400. We only recently started making a real push into vintage books and it's paying off big time.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Wait, DCBS closed? I assume that means their physical location and not the online ordering piece?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dunbar posted:

Wait, DCBS closed? I assume that means their physical location and not the online ordering piece?

They are relocating their brick n mortar store to Tennessee.

• Locked thread