Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
North as bad as Membrey's palm tree sleeve tattoo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
Ha, Norf suck

Blurred
Aug 26, 2004

WELL I WONNER WHAT IT'S LIIIIIKE TO BE A GOOD POSTER

Spedman posted:

There are 90 bench rotations a game where the coach talks directly with players while they're resting. There's plenty of scope for the players to do the runners job, and for the coaching team to better use the bench for this purpose.

There are lots of changes a coach may wish to make that can't be solved by talking to the players on the bench. If the coach wants to switch the position of players who are already on the ground, for example, I don't see how that can be done without sending a runner onto the ground. It seems to me that AFL watchers like to manufacture problems that are completely out of proportion to the reality, which just creates the bloated and almost ungovernable set of rules we have now. I can't think of too many occasions where the runners have clearly gotten in the way of play (happy to be proven wrong on this) and don't see why the existing rules couldn't just be applied more strictly if there really is an issue.

Also lol North.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Billings was robbed!

(yes, it was touched but I don't care)

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Blurred posted:

There are lots of changes a coach may wish to make that can't be solved by talking to the players on the bench. If the coach wants to switch the position of players who are already on the ground, for example, I don't see how that can be done without sending a runner onto the ground. It seems to me that AFL watchers like to manufacture problems that are completely out of proportion to the reality, which just creates the bloated and almost ungovernable set of rules we have now. I can't think of too many occasions where the runners have clearly gotten in the way of play (happy to be proven wrong on this) and don't see why the existing rules couldn't just be applied more strictly if there really is an issue.

Also lol North.

There is this thing called yelling. Coaches can yell and by doing so, communicate with people who are not standing next to them. If this is unacceptable, why not give the message to one of the numerous people subbing on and off all the loving time?

boy undead
Nov 11, 2006

time to get prolific with
the whiz kid
That goal reversal killed our momentum.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

Solemn Sloth posted:

You got one of the best midfielders in the competition out of it :confused:
And who's he playing for now? In retrospect it was a dumb move moving him on, but off the top of my head we end up trading most of our father-son picks down the track.

And yeah, the amount of interchanges, plus the quarters where most of the tactical changes are communicated, means there's still plenty of opportunities to issue instructions etc. Also it means the leading group will probably have to do more on the field (which they do already in most clubs).

Blurred
Aug 26, 2004

WELL I WONNER WHAT IT'S LIIIIIKE TO BE A GOOD POSTER

NPR Journalizard posted:

There is this thing called yelling. Coaches can yell and by doing so, communicate with people who are not standing next to them. If this is unacceptable, why not give the message to one of the numerous people subbing on and off all the loving time?

I've got no intention of dying on this hill, but why not just keep the current arrangement if it's not really causing any major problems?

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Selwood is actually the one who got reported last night for an elbow to the back of Mitchell's head, not the other way around.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

Blurred posted:

Also lol North.

A message needs to be communicated, either a player or runner can do it, it's not that complicated. The player doesn't even need to come of the ground, stand near the bench and get the message, thats what they do in soccer.

The problem is that runners are filling space during kick-ins, and other tactical space filling exercises. So they aren't directly impacting moving play, but they are definitely impacting the game in a negative way, which is becoming more common.

If anything, removing runners simplifies the game, less people on the field, less rules in the game, which will help the umpiring as they don't need to keep an eye on them for infringements. Removing runners with do anything but complicate the game.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
loving poo poo gently caress gently caress OFF GOAL REVIEW poo poo gently caress

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

realbez posted:

Selwood is actually the one who got reported last night for an elbow to the back of Mitchell's head, not the other way around.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

F/S rule is a tribal thing, don't gently caress with it. It doesn't always work either, but everyone accepts the risk. Runners crept into the game and it was never part of it, take it out.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Periphery posted:

Billings was robbed!

(yes, it was touched but I don't care)

Co-sign.

CARN SAINTS!!

boy undead
Nov 11, 2006

the whiz kid
It'd be nice if the Saints could kick straight.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

boy undead posted:

It's so bloody frustrating. Both teams are kicking like poo poo for goal but the Saints have easily wasted 5 easy set shots (plus Billings 2 touched). It's the only thing stopping this from being a 60+ point flogging.

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

boy undead posted:

yeah, we're probably not gonna have many other chances for a percentage boost for the rest of the season.

boy undead
Nov 11, 2006

the whiz kid
Nice to have a win after the month we've had, but also zzzzz

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
Well that was terrible.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Saints are playing some seriously trash football after half time. They just stop working and then only kick down the line and concede turnovers that they can't defend cause they aren't working hard enough.

ZombieJesus
Feb 26, 2005

He died for your sins, he rose for your BRAINS
Yeah gently caress the runners, I can't remember the exact game, but there was one game last year where I noticed runners guarding space on almost every single kick in, it was sooo obviously cheating, but technically within the rules. loving bullshit.

Removing runners will make the game better, and simpler.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Every game on free to air this week is garbage I don't want to watch

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Yay Saints, you only lost 20 odd points of your lead this time in the last quarter against a dire team, yayyyy :v:

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Windmill Hut posted:

Every game on free to air this week is garbage I don't want to watch

If you sign up for Foxtel you can treat yourself to Port v Brisbane

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

ewe2 posted:

F/S rule is a tribal thing, don't gently caress with it. It doesn't always work either, but everyone accepts the risk. Runners crept into the game and it was never part of it, take it out.

Tribal things are for dumb jerks.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
Most footy players can't even follow the whiteboard at the beginning of the quarter the idea you guys think they can play Chinese whispers while screaming across a paddock filled with the ambient noise of 35k people is lol as gently caress

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.
Goes to show how many of you blokes have actually played footy. You can barely hear poo poo out there and any kind of real structural change requires a runner.

The AFL's ability to find answers to problems that dont exist is obviously leaking.

Also that was a shithouse final quarter from us. Looked like we had zero run at all.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

hiddenmovement posted:

Most footy players can't even follow the whiteboard at the beginning of the quarter the idea you guys think they can play Chinese whispers while screaming across a paddock filled with the ambient noise of 35k people is lol as gently caress

(1) There are these things called megaphones that make voices louder.
(2) The solution to that problem is not to introduce more people into the playing field.

TBH most of my answers were fairly tongue in cheek, but the point is the same. Runners are not needed, have unintended consequences, and should be gotten rid of.

NPR Journalizard fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jun 16, 2017

razak
Apr 13, 2016

Ready for graphing

NPR Journalizard posted:

(1) There are these things called megaphones that make voices louder.

Go for the comedy option and give both head coaches access to the stadium PA system.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Lol the 10,000 general admission seats promised for the new Perth stadium includes tourism package seats, stadium memberships and club complementary tickets so there's actually only 7000 general admission

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
U18s AFLW Championships game of Vic vs Vic is about to begin in 10 minutes: http://taccup.com.au/aflw-u18-champs-vic-country-v-metro/

https://youtu.be/rkKgm_Lkyig

E: Northern Blues on track for 7th straight win today too in the VFL.

drunkill fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jun 17, 2017

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
This umpiring is cooked

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
rance is a loser

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

racing identity posted:

This umpiring is cooked

Rance got the biggest armchair ride, twice, in that one on one with Franklin. Ugh

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
"Nankervis can go back and bring Sydney back within 8 points"

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Lindsay Thomas still a dumbcunt:
https://twitter.com/7VFL/status/875946040972656644

Wants another break from footy already.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
Franklin and Rampe both gently caress up to give away a late goal. What happened to Sydney in the off season to give them such a lack of composure?

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Mummy they're Richmonding again

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Best full back of the era, totally doesn't play by his own rules and get away with an obscene amount of scragging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Tigers supporters are gonna get RSI in their fingers from furiously bashing the microwave keys so much this season.

• Locked thread