Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I got three dancers to 2000 HM during this event (okay Olivia was close already)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Are Lunatic7 Veronica's stats any higher than Lunatic5? Because I have a Nino that's my lynchpin to take down the latter, but sometimes she deals exactly Veronica's hitpoints, so even a 1-2 point improvement in L7 would require me to readjust my entire strategy for that stage.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

a crisp refreshing Moxie posted:

Are Lunatic7 Veronica's stats any higher than Lunatic5? Because I have a Nino that's my lynchpin to take down the latter, but sometimes she deals exactly Veronica's hitpoints, so even a 1-2 point improvement in L7 would require me to readjust my entire strategy for that stage.

I don't think so.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
Veronica sits at 32 speed in both versions of Lunatic, which is exactly 1 point too fast for my neutral speed Ryoma with a speed seal to double her.

I got 5* marth and i'd rather train my freshly promoted xander than slam my dick in the tempest trial-shaped door any more

Sinistral
Jan 2, 2013
Legion GHB is up now and there is a spicy new Infernal difficulty rating too.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
The Legion map involves more than 2 Legions.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The infernal map seems pretty difficult. Lunatic I did on my first try though

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
apparently the red mage has swordbreaker or something because ryoma got doubled and killed while on defensive terrain, rip

is Infernal just the same inflated stats as the Tempest Trial stuff?

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.

Clarste posted:

Speaking of -ATK, I just rolled a -ATK/+SPD Celica. Is that salvageable, and if so, what skills would she want? I like the idea of Ragnarok at least.
Anything she can do, Tharja can do better because blade tome. Paste her and give Distant Defense to Sheena, Xander, Camus or the inevitable flying unit with a Distant Counter weapon.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Clarste posted:

The Legion map involves more than 2 Legions.

I'm glad.

Less glad that an infernal legion ORKOs Ryoma though

Sinistral
Jan 2, 2013

ungulateman posted:

apparently the red mage has swordbreaker or something because ryoma got doubled and killed while on defensive terrain, rip

is Infernal just the same inflated stats as the Tempest Trial stuff?

No, they come with pre-charged skills too :shepface:

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

The Legion on the left comes with a pre-charged Aegis on Lunatic, too.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Roger Explosion posted:

Anything she can do, Tharja can do better because blade tome. Paste her and give Distant Defense to Sheena, Xander, Camus or the inevitable flying unit with a Distant Counter weapon.

I hate Tharja though, while I have no preexisting opinion on Celica. Frankly I'd be more willing to promote a Tharja and paste her to give the tome to someone else. But mostly I'm curious about the Ragnarok tome, and want to make that work.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Jun 16, 2017

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

I'm gonna feel really bad about myself when I watch that guy clear Infernal Legion GHB with 3*/free units.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I did the infernal one after using a stamina potion.

The team was Xander, Rein, Nino and Olivia. Btomebreaker on Rein was really good.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
gently caress, I hate defensive maps.

Retcon
Jun 23, 2010

Clarste posted:

I hate Tharja though, while I have no preexisting opinion on Celica. Frankly I'd be more willing to promote a Tharja and paste her to give the tome to someone else. But mostly I'm curious about the Ragnarok tome, and want to make that work.
With +SPD/-ATK, Fury+Desperation might be an option (Fury+Ragnaroks puts her right into Desperation range), but that doesn't really take advantage of her tome since she'll only get one boosted hit in. Otherwise, the standard Life and Death+Renewal build is still her best option I think, and since she has +SPD she is going to double pretty much everything.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Clarste posted:

Ragnarok is a great tome. Even with - Atk +spd Celica has 41 spd and 48 with ragnarok which is excellent speed and more than decent attack. She'll double most things and won't get doubled herself. Plus she's pretty survivable when being attacked thanks to distant defence. I have the same Celica and i've gotten great use of her out in Arena and the trials just through slapping Moonbow on her and pairing her with a cleric to keep her topped off. She pulls her weight.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Also gently caress legion for having so much speed that a +SPD Nino with fury and hone speed doesn't double him

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Desperation or Darting Blow on Julia? She has 29 speed and it would be nice if she could double sometimes.

Retcon
Jun 23, 2010

Tired Moritz posted:

Desperation or Darting Blow on Julia? She has 29 speed and it would be nice if she could double sometimes.
Desperation is really bad on Julia, it will activate very rarely because of her speed. Darting Blow isn't worth it either I think, even a +SPD Julia won't double that much with it and without Fury she loses some of her tanking capabilities. You don't really need Julia to double, her main job is being a magic tank.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Tired Moritz posted:

If you want her to double give her quick riposte and like renewal or reciprocal aid or something.

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010

ungulateman posted:

The Legion on the left comes with a pre-charged Aegis on Lunatic, too.

Seriously, what the gently caress. :(

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Did they seriously add another blue tome cavalry for the infernal reinforcements?? Jesus.

I think i'm not gonna do the Infernal challenge.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
I did it.

It took an entire stamina potion's worth of practice, but I beat Infernal Legion! My team was Tharja, Nino, Eirika and Azura and my strat mainly involved keeping Nino and Tharja adjacent to Eirika as much as possible with tactical nuking. It's still some kind of bullshit that taking down some of these Legions because they took both a buffed Tharja and an Eirika to their face. Legion could even ORKO Eirika, so I had to be extra careful.

Even though I failed a fair bit, this was actually a lot more satisfying than any other GHB. A lot of the others have just been all about choke points and restricting your movement and calling it a day, but this one is where I really felt that I had to think ahead and use actual tactics as opposed to insta-winning with Hector or a blade tome. After each time I lost, I got a little bit better until I won! Good stuff.

Roger Explosion fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Jun 16, 2017

LeafyGreens
May 9, 2009

the elegant cephalopod

My brave Hana had a bunch of SP sitting around so I gave her Axebreaker out of despair and she quadded all the Lunatic Legions for me. Cecilia plinked the legions and took care of the bow user, Nowi was just there to counter kill that red Mage. I was gettin nowhere with red mages, brave sword users are where it's at!

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010
I used two stamina potions to win inferno with horse emblem. Oh god, that was a lot of trial and error. Mostly error.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Please impart upon us how you did this because I really would love some tips on how you can tackle that monster.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Nomadic Scholar posted:

Please impart upon us how you did this because I really would love some tips on how you can tackle that monster.

Lots of dancing, repositioning and drawing back

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Huh, I'm starting to win tempest trials more and more often, sometimes not even getting Xander and half my team killed by Veronica. It was kinda cool the one game where I managed to get Veronica and her infantry mage pal to 1 HP and cleaning them both up with Clarine as my last unit.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Nomadic Scholar posted:

2 tanky sword units with quick riposte or axebreaker (Xander/Ike) a blue mage who can orko the red mage after a rally speed and the archer (Linde with Glitter) and a green mage who can 2rko the 1st tome calvary and orko the 2nd with quick riposte (Julia). And then a whole lot of trial and error to get everything positioned in the right way so that I can kill everything before they touch my mages and without leaving my reds in range of the 2nd blue tome who will instantly obliterate them from full health.

It took me about 5 stamina points and whole lot of skill inheriting to find the right skills for the job but I managed it. Was it worth the 2000 feathers and an extra unit of poor inherits since I don't like Fury? No not really, but it sure was intense.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
My units are probably strong enough to finish Infernal but I don't really need feathers and I still have 8k to go for Tempest Trials. Probably not gonna bother.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Got the third Legion :toot:

Team was Xander (with Axebreaker), Camus, Hector, and Wrys. Axebreaker is super good here and basically just makes your life easier. Also reinforcements stopped appearing after turn 6 I believe.

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010

Nomadic Scholar posted:

It was a situation where literally one wrong move would have hosed everything up. I had a super small margin for error. I had Gunter with hone cavalry, fury Xander with a 4 turn high damage special as my main Legion killer, and a +ATK Reinhardt as the main damage dealer for everyone else. Azura also played a role although all she did was sing.

I start with a buffed Reinhardt to deal damage against the Legion on the right side and finished the Legion off with my Xander. Since Luna would be active next turn, I used Azura to have Reinhardt immediately kill the enemy blue cavalry mage. Gunter moves towards Azura to end the turn.

The second turn has Reinhardt softening up the Legion who just spawned at the bottom. I again finish him off with my Xander. The blue mage dies from two hits from my danced Gunter. At this moment, the only damage I have taken is from the Fury 3 on Xander.

The third turn has my buffed Xander doubling the enemy red cavalry. I used Azura to dance him after his kill. His special for Blazing Light is now active since I have Quickened Pulse on him (not sure how necessary this special is but it was what I had on him), and this lets him one-shot the Legion from the left who has finally come down to the second from the bottom row. Reinhardt takes the spot of this newly slain Legion to one-shot the red mage. I parked Gunter just under the defensive tile on the right to bait the blue cavalry. Since the enemy has lunge, the archer is also baited into shooting my Gunter (although thankfully Gunter is now on the defensive tile).

On the fourth turn, my Reinhardt deals damage to the blue cavalry as he gets into position further to the right and gets danced into position to one-shot the archer. Gunter moves to finish off the blue cavalry from the enemy's left. Xander uses Reposition to move Gunter out of range from the blue mage.

On the fifth turn, Azura and Xander wait on the left side of the danger zone while Gunter and Reinhardt wait on the right.

Finally on the sixth turn, Gunter attacks, and Reinhardt then finishes off the blue mage. Xander parks under the final Legion with the security of his 40 defense and the defensive tile bonus. Azura dances Gunter into safety. YOU SHOULD TRY TO KILL THE TOP LEGION UNIT WITH A RANGED UNIT IF YOU DON'T HAVE A FURY 3 XANDER BECAUSE THAT rear end in a top hat LEGION HAS VANTAGE AND CAN SINGLEHANDEDLY KILL EVERYONE IF HE IS GIVEN A CHANCE. Thankfully for me, Xander on a defensive tile also takes 0 damage from him and can solo him while at 1 hp left.

I didn't share this earlier in large part because it took a near perfect sequencing of steps with a Reinhardt, Gunter, and a 5* Fury Xander. Various other skills on my units could also have been crucial. My +ATK Reinhardt has Death Blow. Weirdly, even Blazing Light was useful for me since it allowed Xander to OHKO one of the Legion.

E: figured out that WoM was not necessary and simply changed the order of moves necessary to win. The quickened pulse was also entirely unnecessary.

Snipee fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jun 16, 2017

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

What do you do with a +SPD/-RES Effie?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

big trivia FAIL posted:

What do you do with a +SPD/-RES Effie?

Give death blow 3 to a better unit

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru
1st attempt at Infernal:

2nd 3rd attempt at Infernal:

Nomadic Scholar posted:

I've done it with mages and Horse Emblem. The most important thing you can do is memorize where the reinforcements spawn. You can manipulate it so your units have space to maneuver into favorable matchups. It's very easy to get zoned out since the map has many ranged and cavalry units.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Man, I'm getting owned on hard for some reason. It looks to me like the reinforcements are tied into specific units dying, though?

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Yeah turns out the reinforcements are tied to Legion kills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

Good lord inferno was a pain in the rear end, took me like 20 tries before I finally managed to manipulate the spawns and AI just right.

Forget clearing it with 3* units, I want to see someone manage that poo poo without a dancer.