Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

Is there anything stopping you from repeatedly resurrecting people whenever there's a raid and having a squad of nanite murder undead to protect your colony?

Honestly not sure on this. The game indicates a quest were you go to an abandoned lab that was researching luciferium. Wasn't sure how to trigger the quest (or if it is random) so I dosed my 91 year old assassin Rynyk with luci to see if that helps the quest spawn.

Going into drug details it mentions "Seraphytes" so that may be a specific ingredient to power the machine itself (because you are bringing them back from the dead, but do it using nanites.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Oh rad, thank you!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
There's cryo sickness, which I imagine was put in for exactly this reason.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Volmarias posted:

There's cryo sickness, which I imagine was put in for exactly this reason.

Don't let them eat before you freeze em, then they have nothing to barf.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
cryptosleep sickness caps consciousness to 50%, which is a big impediment to getting anything real done for like a day.

and yes, to my knowledge the revival chamber requires some poo poo to revive someone though i'm unclear on the details of that. i think it's just luci?

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
I guess I've got a bug. I've got the need joy, and need meal source stuck permanently. Anyone know how to clear it? No biggie if not.

Also protip if your pawn is addicted wake up juice and goes into withdrawal. Making them smoke a joint seems to knock them out cold. Much better than arresting them on a psychotic break.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

DogonCrook posted:

I guess I've got a bug. I've got the need joy, and need meal source stuck permanently. Anyone know how to clear it? No biggie if not.

Also protip if your pawn is addicted wake up juice and goes into withdrawal. Making them smoke a joint seems to knock them out cold. Much better than arresting them on a psychotic break.

Make sure they aren't restricted to a specific zone.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters

enraged_camel posted:

Make sure they aren't restricted to a specific zone.

They arent, and ive tried building ovens in every room just to clear it. I assume i did something weird at the start that didnt trigger it. I dont remember exactly what i did, but i decided to switch home areas right after i built my first room, so it might be related to that. Everything works fine though. Ive also tried a chess board in every area too.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
That sounds borked, does it happen on a new game?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

OwlFancier posted:

Is there anything stopping you from repeatedly resurrecting people whenever there's a raid and having a squad of nanite murder undead to protect your colony?

Them being addicted to luciferium seems like a potential issue. I'm thinking it'd be a good idea to have some kind of clone degeneration past the first couple times to balance it so you can't just keep reviving people Officer Downe-style, though.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

Flesh Forge posted:

That sounds borked, does it happen on a new game?

This is the second time its happened but ive only played twice. I think its because both times i started a little house and built up some supplies and then moved to a more fertile place that was less protected. I think the switchover might be causing it. I rember other stuff registering and clearing though so i may need to reinstall. Its not a big deal though.

Im keeping my wakeup addict away from the drugs by leaving joints on the path to the storage. Hes like a fainting goat now. Walks by a joint and falls over. Its worked so far and you get a nice red notice when he falls for it.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

The only thing I can think of might be that the stove/joy items are not within your 'Home" area, and I think there's an option to turn off "extend home area on build" :shrug:

e: do you notice that no one ever cleans automatically?
e: heck just look at your home area with the appropriate zone tool and see if the stove is in it

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jun 16, 2017

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

Flesh Forge posted:

The only thing I can think of might be that the stove/joy items are not within your 'Home" area, and I think there's an option to turn off "extend home area on build" :shrug:

e: do you notice that no one ever cleans automatically?
e: heck just look at your home area with the appropriate zone tool and see if the stove is in it

I do the home area myself because the auto gets wonky sometimes. They are all dead now though. I didnt realise trying to arrest someone with a bunch of dogs would get real ugly if they resisted. The person arresting her was a pacifist and didnt stand a chance and the other dude was unconcious becuase of my joint traps so there was no hope. On this new run ill pay closer attention to what happens.

E: and yeah it didnt effect anything as far as i can tell they would still cook and play horshoes and chess. I would build campfires during a big harvest and have all 3 cooking and it worked fine.

DogonCrook fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jun 16, 2017

taco season
Oct 10, 2014

College Slice
Do you have more than one colony? Those messages never go away for me because I couldnt be arsed to build anything while doing a resource run next door.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

DogonCrook posted:

I do the home area myself because the auto gets wonky sometimes.

The only things that "Home" area controls, as far as I know, are:
- fire extinguishing
- corpse forbid status, when something dies inside your home area it's not marked forbidden
- cleaning
- the "no meal source/joy source" statuses

Other than that pawns will still use and repair constructions and carry to stockpiles and whatever even if they're not in your Home area.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

Flesh Forge posted:

The only things that "Home" area controls, as far as I know, are:
- fire extinguishing
- corpse forbid status, when something dies inside your home area it's not marked forbidden
- cleaning
- the "no meal source/joy source" statuses

Other than that pawns will still use and repair constructions and carry to stockpiles and whatever even if they're not in your Home area.

It's home a special assignment zone? That is, will pawns firefight outside their restricted zone if it's in the home zone?

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

TACO_HERO posted:

Do you have more than one colony? Those messages never go away for me because I couldnt be arsed to build anything while doing a resource run next door.

Thats what it was. I had a colony next to it for mining i just had roofs and beds. Thanks.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Is there a way to find or select all forbidden objects?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

ILL Machina posted:

It's home a special assignment zone? That is, will pawns firefight outside their restricted zone if it's in the home zone?

I think if they're restricted to a zone they won't ever leave it unless drafted, so no I don't think they'd go fight the fire in that case.

Splicer posted:

There's a good mod for that:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=761421485

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

The cult mod is good poo poo. But holy drat don't let a caravan wander into your base and see your occult research table because they will flip their poo poo and murder you.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I think that must be only certain factions, I've been playing without the additional faction mod (didn't know about it) and visitor caravans would actually come participate in human sacrifices with us :black101:

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Yeah is that those trench coat wearing pistol packing guys the mod pack advertises? Other guys have come in wearing cult robes and also joined me in sacrifice, though only for boars so far.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I haven't seen what they do yet but one of the extra faction in the cult faction mod sounds like Delta Green.

SetPhazers2Funk
Jan 27, 2008

Good, bad, I'm the one with the gun.
What's the current version and name of the cult mod(s)? I tried using the most obvious candidate but got a lot of errors as if it wasn't updated for 17.

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

On my first (longer than 2 day) settlement, I have basically dug into a mountain and just expanded as necessary. But, I find that my layout is very convoluted and leads to a lot of time running to a stockpile and then to a crafting bench. How do y'all approach this? Do you build a small basic settlement to get up and running and then plan out something bigger?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

creatine posted:

On my first (longer than 2 day) settlement, I have basically dug into a mountain and just expanded as necessary. But, I find that my layout is very convoluted and leads to a lot of time running to a stockpile and then to a crafting bench. How do y'all approach this? Do you build a small basic settlement to get up and running and then plan out something bigger?

The way to avoid this is either to make sure that your storehouse and your workshop are directly adjacent(the lazy way and less efficient) or to set up multiple small, custom stockpiles in your workshop that have the necessary materials for your current projects near their appropriate benches(dramatically more efficient but significantly more micro intensive).

As for general base design, I tend to follow a ramshackle approach where I only build/plan for my current and immediate future needs and sort of let the whole thing spread out organically as time goes on. The only rules I follow 100% of the time are that the workshop will be very close to the general stockpile and the freezer will be connected(but separate) to the kitchen(i also always have a small sub-freezer for completed meals so that all of my stupid pawns don't track mud in my meat locker).

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

creatine posted:

just build smaller, higher priority stockpiles by your crafting benches. also i usually run a pretty bare-bones setup with everyone sleeping outside until I can get them their own rooms built. i plan around the freezer/dining room since that is where most of the pawns spend most of their time.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Coolguye posted:

cryptosleep sickness caps consciousness to 50%, which is a big impediment to getting anything real done for like a day.

and yes, to my knowledge the revival chamber requires some poo poo to revive someone though i'm unclear on the details of that. i think it's just luci?

So my hunch about doping a colonist with Luci was right. About a quadrum later I got a "Lab Rumour" notification about a lab doing luciferium experiments and maybe they can help Rynyk. At this point Rynyk is 92. Luciferium is just her weekly meds to keep her alive.

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

creatine posted:

1. Farms
2. Stockpiles
3. Haul, plant, haul
4. Beds in stockpile, then walls around stockpile if I'm in an area where wood is not a problem, otherwise leap straight to stone walls

I've taken a more organic approach to designing my little town most recently, which just means that I'm building areas as I get materials. I'm playing on coastal mountains per somepony's recommendation here to protect my scrub tribe, which has worked quite well. The various arcades and ornamentation are simply to give my tribesponies something nice to look at. :D

I usually work on bedrooms last given the number of other priorities. Sharing a barracks works efficiently for temperature-events and seasons later on.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
If stockpiles had the option of letting them get half empty before hauling in replacement goods I'd be all over the micro-storage next to work benches thing but the one time I tried doing that across an entire colony it ended up costing me one full-time hauler doing nothing at all but taking one piece of wood over to replace what someone just picked up to work on. I had to put two people on hauling duty just to have a chance that one of them would haul anything outside the colony anywhere, ever, and then it was spotty if they'd do any useful amount of hauling before getting sucked back into the micro-storage loop.

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009

bird food bathtub posted:

If stockpiles had the option of letting them get half empty before hauling in replacement goods I'd be all over the micro-storage next to work benches thing but the one time I tried doing that across an entire colony it ended up costing me one full-time hauler doing nothing at all but taking one piece of wood over to replace what someone just picked up to work on. I had to put two people on hauling duty just to have a chance that one of them would haul anything outside the colony anywhere, ever, and then it was spotty if they'd do any useful amount of hauling before getting sucked back into the micro-storage loop.

You have some degree of control over this with zones. I try to use my trained hauling animals to haul to my main stockpile and pretty much the entire living/work areas of my colony are off limits to them to keep them from eating/drinking the stuff for my colonists. If you wanted you could do the same for colonists that you don't want hauling to your workshop stockpiles by excluding that from their allowed zone.

That's not to say that your suggestion to have desired min/max levels for restocking purposes, mind you. I'd love something along those lines.

boneration
Jan 9, 2005

now that's performance

bird food bathtub posted:

If stockpiles had the option of letting them get half empty before hauling in replacement goods

Hauling Hysteresis mod. Not updated for A17 I think, but Storage Search mod has it included.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I just noticed if you click a pawn and then left click any object in the home area you can make it do the job instantly and if there are multiple things you can do you get a dropdown list or it tells you why it cant be done like blocked, or if a pawn has reserved the job etc. I guess you could put stockpiles on normal instead of priority and shift the stock around manually. You can equip anything and drop it out of your inventory too.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
In the newest version it looks like you can reinstall orbital trade beacons now, so there's no need to fret exactly about positioning it perfect the first time.

Small things make this game better.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

There's a few "minify everything" mods out there, pick one. They don't work on every single structure (wind turbines e.g.) but his it's nice to be able to move your stove or tailor bench and not have to redo 10 job bills.

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

Is there a mod or something to set priorities on what to haul? I have one person that's only really good at mining and right now I have them on haul and clean duty. Problem is they're trying to haul like 800 stones while my field of strawberries rots in the sun. Is there a way to put higher priority on food hauling vs other stuff?

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Splicer posted:

at the beginning of the game, before your colonists land, pause, then use your mouse to select the entirety of the map and then press F.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Efexeye posted:

at the beginning of the game, before your colonists land, pause, then use your mouse to select the entirety of the map and then press F.

There's also a mod to allow a one click unforbid all. Not sure if it's been updated for a17 though

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

creatine posted:

Is there a mod or something to set priorities on what to haul? I have one person that's only really good at mining and right now I have them on haul and clean duty. Problem is they're trying to haul like 800 stones while my field of strawberries rots in the sun. Is there a way to put higher priority on food hauling vs other stuff?

There probably is but in the meantime if you click on a pawn and then left click the stuff you want to haul you can set it as highest priority individually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Update on the abandoned lab.

So I sent Katie (my best soldier) and Rynyk (luci old lady) to the abandoned lab with about 1.5k in hauling capacity spread between alpacas and mufalos.

When we got there we found a massive sprawling facility with plasteel walls. The two cleared room by room, finding only research benches, drug labs, plasteel furniture and an unpowered terminal.

I hastily mined and constructed components and steel, then built a solar panel, powering the terminal.

I first had Katia check it out. She read through to logs, stating that the facility was abandoned, but it looks like some self replicating mechanites were left and she could talk them. She examined the mechanites, determined they probably were legit and wouldn't give her space aids.

I had her log off, then had Rynyk examine it. Rynyk looked at the pills and thought they looked cool! So the terminal gives more info depending on the medical and intellect of the user. Pretty cool.

I dosed Rynyk and it cleared up the addiction while still leaving the benefits. There was one tab left. Since Katia was stronger I had her mash the dispense button a few times. She got 4 more tabs of seraphytes and fibrous mechanites.

Oops.

Thankfully Katia had a painstopper installed, so the mechanites are just a neat benefit (minus the additional tiredness). She also took a tab of seraphytes too. Between the bionics augments, drugs and mechanites, her stats are hitting 300% in move and manipulation. Katia is a murder queen.

We get back home, I dispense the drugs to my more useful colonists, then dose a few more old folks with luci to see if I can get the event to spawn again.