Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Rutibex posted:

Why are they calling it an "exploit" now? It was an intentional feature when I started playing 8 years ago. An incentive for people to return to the game after a long absence. I mean, if they wanted it to stop it would be very simple. Put a piece of code into the algorithm that activates when an account goes from Omega to Alpha that clears out the training queue. It would be like one line of code.

We already had a many page discussion on this in depth, so unless you've got a PhD in software engineering or 10+ years relevant experience, :frogout:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

DisgracelandUSA posted:

We already had a many page discussion on this in depth, so unless you've got a PhD in software engineering or 10+ years relevant experience, :frogout:

no stop we were doing so well :negative:

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

no stop we were doing so well :negative:

or we could run this poo poo into the ground

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

DisgracelandUSA posted:

or we could run this poo poo into the ground

:regd08:

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

A funny thing we found out during Burn Jita. With corporations, you have shared hangers that can have many people reading / taking items from the hanger at the same time. In order to prevent duping and to preserve general state consistency, whenever an item is 'touched' by a player, it's state is locked so that other players can't manipulate said items state. Cool, this makes sure that two players don't try to move the same item into their hanger at the same time and create duplicate copies or results in moving an item that doesn't actually exist. And the way this is done is the item is locked, it's state changes and this item is unlocked. Normally it's imperceptible except when dealing with high traffic systems or lots of items. If you want an example, go to Jita, get a container of random unpackaged items, right click, stack all, and then try to move the items around. You'll probably get a message saying the item was locked at such and such a time.

The same is true of fitted ships. If you more a fitted ship between hangers, or items between the ships hold and hangers, the ship and/or items get locked. I'm not entirely sure, but it may also lock the fitted items on the ship. So that means moving a ship from hanger one to hanger two results in somewhere between 1 and N items, with N being equal to the number of item stacks across the ship. This, ofc, takes time.

So I'd you decide to, say, move 1k fitted ships between a hanger and your inventory, the algorithm calls that lock function on each ship, item, etc, before moving it and unlocking each ship and item. As it turns out, this generates a fair amount of load.

In highsec, there is already a significantly increased load on the hosting node, as it has to track timers, multiple timers, for each player, as well as everything eve related. It turns out that timers are somewhat computationally tricky at scale. If you get 100+ people to go criminal, inducing 3+ timers each, and spawning 3 npcs each, you'll generate a fuckton of load. And if by chance you trade around a thousand or two thousand ships between corp hangers and personal hanger and trade windows... Well, now you see how we crashed jita.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Klyith posted:

Ghost training while unsubbed was gone for years and years, since at least 2010. They changed it so that you got a couple days training after the sub lapsed then stop. Whatever they did with account management in the F2P transition, they didn't cover an omega-alpha transition correctly.

Boy I wish I had the ability to fix code that I've never seen before and in systems I have no clue how they are structured. You must get paid a ton of money for that.

Reverse the polarity. Done.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Hmph. Someone bought out my auction contract for most of my Delve gear so I'm setting up a Projectile Dominix for HiSec L4s.

So...Sentry Drones are pretty much Drop in Place sniper turrets that I'll switch out for Scouts as necessary.(?) I draw aggro and snipe with my artillery as the drones tear up stuff that tries to get close and the MTU grabs the goodies. Orbit the sentries so I'm not a sitting duck, Dual Energized Nanos(or one with a Damage Control 2?) with a mission specific hardener and a T2 repper for survivability. Cap recharge modules and such till stable, fill out the rest with drone upgrades.

Man this CCP tomfoolery is almost like the developer version of a Benny Hill chase.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE

DisgracelandUSA posted:

A funny thing we found out during Burn Jita. With corporations, you have shared hangers that can have many people reading / taking items from the hanger at the same time. In order to prevent duping and to preserve general state consistency, whenever an item is 'touched' by a player, it's state is locked so that other players can't manipulate said items state. Cool, this makes sure that two players don't try to move the same item into their hanger at the same time and create duplicate copies or results in moving an item that doesn't actually exist. And the way this is done is the item is locked, it's state changes and this item is unlocked. Normally it's imperceptible except when dealing with high traffic systems or lots of items. If you want an example, go to Jita, get a container of random unpackaged items, right click, stack all, and then try to move the items around. You'll probably get a message saying the item was locked at such and such a time.

The same is true of fitted ships. If you more a fitted ship between hangers, or items between the ships hold and hangers, the ship and/or items get locked. I'm not entirely sure, but it may also lock the fitted items on the ship. So that means moving a ship from hanger one to hanger two results in somewhere between 1 and N items, with N being equal to the number of item stacks across the ship. This, ofc, takes time.

So I'd you decide to, say, move 1k fitted ships between a hanger and your inventory, the algorithm calls that lock function on each ship, item, etc, before moving it and unlocking each ship and item. As it turns out, this generates a fair amount of load.

In highsec, there is already a significantly increased load on the hosting node, as it has to track timers, multiple timers, for each player, as well as everything eve related. It turns out that timers are somewhat computationally tricky at scale. If you get 100+ people to go criminal, inducing 3+ timers each, and spawning 3 npcs each, you'll generate a fuckton of load. And if by chance you trade around a thousand or two thousand ships between corp hangers and personal hanger and trade windows... Well, now you see how we crashed jita.

or god forbid you're autistic and have 40 thousand bookmarks in your ship you can crash any node you want forever in a t1 industrial.

so if your supers are eating poo poo, just undock your tayra with 40 thousand bookmarks and instantly log them off to safety

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

DisgracelandUSA posted:

I injected 15 years of software engineering experience just to write that post. It wasn't even that expensive.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

WELP that didn't work. A simple goddamn starter L4 and my rear end got blown the hell up. I wasn't Warp Scrambled or anything but that didn't stop the game from not letting me warp at all! OF COURSE I went for the mid-range insurance so I can't replace the ship now.

I'm remembering why I quit quite clearly now. gently caress it I'm gonna try my hand at mining or something.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

If you couldn't warp despite not being scrambled (and it wasn't simply your align time being rear end) file a ticket to get it reimbursed.

Don't mine*. It's terrible. If you want a newbish friendly activity go hunting for relic/data sites. It's cheap to do, interactive and gets you out into different parts of space.

*Unless you're in a Rorqual

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE

Blasphemaster posted:

I'm remembering why I quit quite clearly now.

probably cause you suck and you're living in highsec, only plebs live in highsec

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

I had a good minute to align but the drat thing wouldn't start the warp. I was webbed so I guess my Domi didn't get enough speed to enter warp? Didn't make any sense though, I had launched Light Scouts to deal with the tacklers but they didn't do dick to them. Ugh.

Pff just HiSeccing to get a warchest going, but the setbacks they are a-plenty.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Blasphemaster posted:

I had a good minute to align but the drat thing wouldn't start the warp. I was webbed so I guess my Domi didn't get enough speed to enter warp? Didn't make any sense though, I had launched Light Scouts to deal with the tacklers but they didn't do dick to them. Ugh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1YY54RI5YY

This game, you're playing it wrong methinks.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Well I have been away for 8-9 years. :v:

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Blasphemaster posted:

Being webbed actually makes you align out faster. Petition it.

Edit: unless you had no cap. We're you neuted or running modules that sucked your cap up, like a repair module?

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

No neuts, fully stable capacitor build. Ill petition in the morning I suppose.

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.
was the tackle a spider drone

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Nah. Pretty sure it was a frigate/inty.

Fix Lag
Sep 8, 2011

There's a sale at Penny's!
person who's bad at the game had their ship explode

better petition it

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫
Maybe the frigate bumped him?

Worlds Smuggest
Mar 13, 2010
Domi's have slow as poo poo align, but post your loss mail, i'm sure we can identify what went so wrong.

working mom
Jul 8, 2015

1001 Arabian dicks posted:

only plebs live in highsec

heh

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Worlds Smuggest posted:

Domi's have slow as poo poo align, but post your loss mail, i'm sure we can identify what went so wrong.

Sure. Sent in the ticket so we'll see if CCP feels like not being a back of dicks.

Eve Killmail posted:

2017.06.16 04:02:08

Victim: Achus
Corp: Faffing About in Space
Alliance: Unknown
Faction: Unknown
Destroyed: Dominix
System: Agrallarier
Security: 0.9
Damage Taken: 41735

Involved parties:

Name: Mercenary Commander / Unknown (laid the final blow)
Damage Done: 41735

Destroyed items: :words:

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

When they said "lossmail" they meant one that would have been posted to zkill

https://zkillboard.com/character/733629010/

because that, amongst other things, shows us what your ship had on it when it died.

edit: except that domi loss isn't on there (I presume because it died to rats without intervention of a player and you don't have an API logged with the site?)

I'm just guessing here.

Carth Dookie fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jun 16, 2017

MacPac
Jun 2, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Alliance tournament seeding is out:
https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=522333&find=unread
http://challonge.com/tournaments/bracket_generator?ref=acpHsp1cpD

ur going down in round 90

MacPac fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jun 16, 2017

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

It's wierd that the killboard lists my MTU but not the Domi. Strange that it skipped that but logged my vexor loss.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Blasphemaster posted:

It's wierd that the killboard lists my MTU but not the Domi. Strange that it skipped that but logged my vexor loss.

Unless you have the plugin, zkillboard doesn't automatically log kills/losses and you have to manually report them. You didn't manually report your loss to NPCs so it's not on there. Most solo pvpers have the plugin so when they kill you/your MTU, it shows up.

The Hambulance
Apr 19, 2011

:20bux:

ASK ME ABOUT MY AWESOME STARTUP IDEA

Pillbug
MTUs are the most dangerous prey of all

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Blasphemaster posted:

the people that killed your ship and MTU have their APIs on zkill, that's why they got posted but not your ship that died solely to NPCs

also why are you in highsec and not in, say, goonfleetwaffe?

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty
How hard are the rogue swarm nests to do? My character has only around 7 million SP and not that strong. Also how hard are they to find? They claim that capsuleers of "all ages" can join the fight but I doubt my friends with <1 mil SP can join, can they?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Torabi posted:

How hard are the rogue swarm nests to do? My character has only around 7 million SP and not that strong. Also how hard are they to find? They claim that capsuleers of "all ages" can join the fight but I doubt my friends with <1 mil SP can join, can they?

They are super duper easy. A destroyer will work.

Your newbie friends will have trouble with people stealing the site though. Last hit is what matters for the loot, and the guys with T3Ds or Gilas do fucktons more damage. So they can snipe the last ship easily. You'll have to go out into the rear end end of empire space to avoid that.

Or leave highsec.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

lol ncdot lost a keepstar

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
How?!

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

we shot it a lot i guess

https://zkillboard.com/kill/62977798/ 1700 people on it laffo

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
Oh, it was a lowsec cluster gently caress. That makes more sense.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
I was like Auga? where the gently caress is Auga? and then I looked and it's right next to Amamake lol

that just says everything about the NC-PL relationship right there, doesn't it?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Ladies and Gents, I present

Peak Salt

(Yes I know it's reddit, shut up)

meatmccartney
Aug 4, 2016

iospace posted:

Ladies and Gents, I present

Peak Salt

(Yes I know it's reddit, shut up)

Is that some copypasta?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Im in hisec because I'm still rusty on a lot of things after being away for 8-9 years. Ill rejoin GSF once I'm confident I've got a handle on things again.

• Locked thread