Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

pacerhimself posted:

Did Obama once ever comment on his approval rating?

He used to regularly mention in speeches that Obamacare/the process of passing Obamacare tanked his approval rating, but he is President to help people, not get high approval ratings. We had the biggest economic catastrophe since the great depression when I took office and now job growth is... tough choices... etc... etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
So Trump is trying the Rob Ford approach then. Decrying people then saying those people should recuse themselves because he is Decrying them.

Mueller is going to be fired if Rosenstein recuses himself.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

update, after the prior statement left off sexual orientation and gender identity:

So, what, did they just "forget" to put it on there and backtracked when they got called out on it?

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Hollismason posted:

So Trump is trying the Rob Ford approach then. Decrying people then saying those people should recuse themselves because he is Decrying them.

Maybe he'll follow that strategy to it's conclusion.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Hollismason posted:

Mueller is going to be fired if Rosenstein recuses himself.

Trump can't fire him. He has to keep going down the chain till he gets someone who will. He'll have to fire Rosenstein, the lady next in line, then Dana Boente, and probably one or two more until he finds a toady who will do it. Every firing will make the situation worse for himself.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/colinjones/status/875740254032080898

:lol:

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

fsif posted:

Trump and Drudge both leaning in pretty hard on that Rasmussen poll.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/875732813278048256

:laffo: we were joking about this earlier in the week. He actually did it.

What a sad, sad little man.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Fitzy Fitz posted:

It's insane. I remember when Republicans were supposedly going to totally reinvent themselves. They were going to start appealing to minorities because the white vote could only be stretched so far. They've regressed so much since then. Bush got 44% of the Latino vote in 2004. Trump got 28%.

And they're continuing to get more insular by the day by focusing completely on their base. There are no significant efforts to reach out. There aren't even any token ones. The USS Gerrymander is headed straight into a multicultural iceberg, and they're burning all the life rafts.

Thats what was supposed to happen for the last 10 years and they took completely control of government at all levels.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Trump can't fire him. He has to keep going down the chain till he gets someone who will. He'll have to fire Rosenstein, the lady next in line, then Dana Boente, and probably one or two more until he finds a toady who will do it. Every firing will make the situation worse for himself.

That's what I was thinking was that Rosenstein would recuse himself and runner up would fire Mueller.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

fsif posted:

aggregates really should throw out rasmussen at this point, it's trash

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

mcmagic posted:

Thats what was supposed to happen for the last 10 years and they took completely control of government at all levels.

This is why people need to vote in midterms.

Has anyone ever studied if the pendulum effect of dem->gop->dem has anything to do with the fact that every other decade the votes that decide the party in power during redistricting happens to coincide with the presidential vote?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

pacerhimself posted:

Did Obama once ever comment on his approval rating?

I think he made some jokes about it when it was bad. I also think he made a joke about how they spiked during the Republican primary when the choices were Cruz and Trump.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Dietrich posted:

I don't disagree.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

trump has declared it his official policy that he's going to fight this investigation by personally tweeting about it

no, seriously

https://twitter.com/jdawsey1/status/875744569115242496

quote:

Trump has been told repeatedly not to post such missives on Twitter but has decided he is in for a political fight, according to one outside adviser briefed on the strategy. Advisers have told him to use his Twitter to boost his political message or attack Democrats instead of talking about the legal case. But Trump doesn't trust others to share his message, this person said, because they don't want to share it the way he does.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

mcmagic posted:

I know, and those predictions were overly optimistic. It's still an inevitability though. The shrinking Republican advantage doesn't mean that they automatically lose every time, but it does force them to commit to what we're seeing now (increased voter suppression, collusion with foreign power, dropping of dog whistles, drastic political measures, etc.)

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

What would the Secret Service do if Trump went to the Library of Congress (I'm assuming) to burn the original Constitution?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Hollismason posted:

That's what I was thinking was that Rosenstein would recuse himself and runner up would fire Mueller.

Yeah I think he had to go through three or four runner up before he finds one willing to do it.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

evilweasel posted:

trump has declared it his official policy that he's going to fight this investigation by personally tweeting about it

It's going to be a great weekend

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

My friend works for ICE and they're so understaffed they have unleashed unlimited overtime and they have no way of deporting everyone they get phone calls about it.

That's right, it could be worse.
why is he still your friend

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

hiddenriverninja posted:

What would the Secret Service do if Trump went to the Library of Congress (I'm assuming) to burn the original Constitution?

The National Archives, and he wouldn't be permitted to do it. The Secret Service would have nothing to do with it -- the Constitution doesn't belong to the President.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

evilweasel posted:

no, seriously

This is perfect. He's the guy on cop dramas who spills his guts in the first interrogation before a lawyer arrives.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

hiddenriverninja posted:

The Constitution, along with the Declaration of Independence and the Bill of Rights, are on display at the National Archives, as lovingly documented in the famously educational documentary film National Treasure.

LaserShark
Oct 17, 2007

It's over, idiot. You're gonna die here and now, and the last words out of your mouth will have been 'poop train.'

evilweasel posted:

no, seriously

I am continually surprised how little someone who has spent so much time on television and caring about his image knows about how optics work.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Captain Invictus posted:

why is he still your friend

Probably because they have a relationship that goes beyond what other weird internet people perceive their relationship to or should be.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

My friend works for ICE and they're so understaffed they have unleashed unlimited overtime and they have no way of deporting everyone they get phone calls about it.

That's right, it could be worse.

i hope your friend is actively trying not to find people to deport.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
It has to completely infuriate Trump that he can't just fire anyone.

Government is so slow and dug in. It's like Obama and the VA. He spent years and billions on that and it still sucked when he left. Maybe it'd be better if Presidents could micromanage some aspects, but they can't and I'm sure aids have had to explain to Trump multiple times why he can't terminate civil servants.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

What's the over/under on Trump firing Rosenstein before he (tries to) fire Mueller?

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Quorum posted:

The Constitution, along with the Declaration of Independence and the Bill of Rights, are on display at the National Archives, as lovingly documented in the famously educational documentary film National Treasure.

Fun fact: The people who actually stand in the room and make sure nobody tries to gently caress with the Declaration of Independence are very, very patient when you bring up National Treasure.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Boon posted:

Probably because they have a relationship that goes beyond what other weird internet people perceive their relationship to or should be.
working for loving ICE is pretty damning of a person's character regardless of who they are

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
It's SO amazing that Trump is bragging about an outlier poll showing him at 50% approval 6 months in to his administration. Does he realize that even if Rasmussen is correct (it isn't) it's still the worst 6 month mark approval rating of all time?

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD

Dietrich posted:

It's also why people need to vote even if their state is a lock for one of the presidental candidates or if they personally hate the candidates. Downticket votes matter a lot.

quote:

Has anyone ever studied if the pendulum effect of dem->gop->dem has anything to do with the fact that every other decade the votes that decide the party in power during redistricting happens to coincide with the presidential vote?
I think it's been formally studied quite a lot but the general wisdom is if your preferred politics aren't in power, you are more motivated to get out and vote. And if you are happy(ish) with who's in power then you (the aggregate you) are more complacent and might forget about the midterms while focusing on other parts of your life.

Generally when the executive branch swings to the other party, that party takes a drubbing on the next midterms, particularly in the house and less so in the senate. This didn't happen with dubya but that can be attributed to 9/11 kind of throwing a wrench into our political climate for '02. But before that the last time a president from the other political party took office and didn't suffer a loss in house seats for the party in the following midterms was FDR, and the country was of course in the throws of the great depression.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Toaster Beef posted:

Fun fact: The people who actually stand in the room and make sure nobody tries to gently caress with the Declaration of Independence are very, very patient when you bring up National Treasure.

Fun fact: The volunteers at the Betsy Ross house are NOT patient when you bring up the Real World: Philadelphia house next door.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

evilweasel posted:

no, seriously

Oh my god do it. DO IT.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Toaster Beef posted:

If i were Nick Cage I'd just keep showing up at the Nat'l Archive looking around nervously.

then I'd hold out my hat for tips and donations cause I'm broke as gently caress Nick Cage.

LaserShark posted:

I am continually surprised how little someone who has spent so much time on television and caring about his image knows about how optics work.
He's unaware of how much he's relied on competent producers and directors to build his image. Left to his own devices he's been consistently loving things up and showing he has no idea what plays outside of whatever particular room he's speaking to at that very moment.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Conway speaks on Fox and Friends

quote:

“But look at Twitter,” Conway said, gearing back up. “If I were shot and killed tomorrow half of Twitter would explode in applause and excitement.” “This is the world we live in now,” she added.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlRMoYce1RA

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Fun fact: The volunteers at the Betsy Ross house are NOT patient when you bring up the Real World: Philadelphia house next door.

Fun fact: The volunteers at Jamestown are very patient when you ask them how "Colors of the Wind" impacted the nascent Virginia settlement.

They then tell you stories about how everyone resorted to cannibalism and you can see the bite marks on the bones. Too :gonk: for Disney I suppose.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

she doesn't realize that she's indicting herself with that statement way more than twitter.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007

fsif posted:

:mediocre:

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

You see, a reasonable person would take the fact that people would celebrate their death as a sign to change...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

If you think he doesn't read every tweet, getting affirmations from each one, you don't understand piss-pig president.

• Locked thread