Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

What type of cells do they use for the current hybrids? Lithium fires are extremely hard to put out and quick charging seems like an easy way to do this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

SPACE HOMOS posted:

What type of cells do they use for the current hybrids? Lithium fires are extremely hard to put out and quick charging seems like an easy way to do this.

I think lithium, though I know they used supercaps and flywheels in the past for energy storage.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

iospace posted:

The new LMP1 regs are a double edged sword: 1. for the consumer, it's great when that trickles down, 2. the makers may not like them and pull out.

I like them, but yeah... I hope Toyota and Porsche stick around.

It's pretty risky when you have just the two P1 manufacturers in on new regulations. If the ACO solicited no input from manufacturers with a potential interest in coming on board in the next five years, then the new regs may have just as well completely deterred someone new from coming in. Plus, corporate interests may shift and a Le Mans program might all of a sudden not exist anymore. Audi was one of the big players, until suddenly it wasn't. Imagine if that had happened if it was only one of two LMP1 programs.

But yeah, there's the other side to it. I remember a lot of worries that the current P1 regulations were ridiculous, but here we are some years later and a hybrid has just crushed the outright Le Mans track record, chicanes be damned. Just goes to show the amazing things that can be achieved when you present engineers with a set of restrictions and basically dare them that they can't go fast within them.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Cygni posted:

2020 P1 regs are out. "Plug in hybrid" system that makes teams run 1km on battery power after each stop, mild cost savings, and bigger cockpits. Pretty big wet fart, might explain why there have been all the rumors about Porsche and Toyota pulling out.

http://www.racer.com/wec-le-mans/item/141485-lmp1-2020-regulations-revealed

The token system-like development restrictions they're introducing are so fundamentally moronic that I can't even believe [producer offstage whispers "ACO!"] OK yeah I can believe it.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

WindyMan posted:

It's pretty risky when you have just the two P1 manufacturers in on new regulations. If the ACO solicited no input from manufacturers with a potential interest in coming on board in the next five years, then the new regs may have just as well completely deterred someone new from coming in. Plus, corporate interests may shift and a Le Mans program might all of a sudden not exist anymore. Audi was one of the big players, until suddenly it wasn't. Imagine if that had happened if it was only one of two LMP1 programs.

But yeah, there's the other side to it. I remember a lot of worries that the current P1 regulations were ridiculous, but here we are some years later and a hybrid has just crushed the outright Le Mans track record, chicanes be damned. Just goes to show the amazing things that can be achieved when you present engineers with a set of restrictions and basically dare them that they can't go fast within them.

Yeah, it's one thing for F1 to impose stuff like that because they'll always have people competing, another for ACO to do so when you have three different classes. Add in the DPi class for IMSA, making it insanely cheap comparatively for a maker to get involved with prototype racing, and well, LMP1 is on the edge right now more than ever.

Though I think DPi needs another year before the ACO will allow them over, if ever.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

These seem pretty bad but the "cars must cross finish line of Le Mans using electric only power" is hokey as poo poo.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

What top speed do you guys think the current P1 cars would hit if they removed the Mulsanne chicanes?

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
400km/h

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

So for us North Americans when does the race start tomorrow? 9AM Eastern?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

gret posted:

So for us North Americans when does the race start tomorrow? 9AM Eastern?

Yup! Right when I start work tomorrow :suicide:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

wicka posted:

What top speed do you guys think the current P1 cars would hit if they removed the Mulsanne chicanes?

Air speed or ground speed?

There's a chance they may be different.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

iospace posted:

Yup! Right when I start work tomorrow :suicide:

lol if you didn't request the day off months in advance

also, I tried with all 3 LMP2s in pCARS... and the twitchy-rear end F1 stand-in

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Kilonum posted:

lol if you didn't request the day off months in advance

also, I tried with all 3 LMP2s in pCARS... and the twitchy-rear end F1 stand-in

It's one of our busiest weekends of the year, so no, I'm not going to pass up on cash money (win some lose some).

I do have next week off though to go see Indy at RA. :woop:

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

iospace posted:

The new LMP1 regs are a double edged sword: 1. for the consumer, it's great when that trickles down, 2. the makers may not like them and pull out.

I like them, but yeah... I hope Toyota and Porsche stick around.

That's a bit backward, consumer tech trickles into racing these days.

All of the tech to enable this on the track has been under development for a while for consumer focused applications. They absolutely made sure Porsche and Toyota already had programs for this before it ever made it in. That doesn't mean business condition changing won't cause them to leave but they already have the capability. 2020 seems about right for commercial deployment given the current state of quick charge tech and regulatory discussion.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

wicka posted:

Dont they accelerate so fast now that they hit their aerodynamically limited top speed well before the chicanes anyway?

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Yeah if watch Kob's lap you can see that he isn't accelerating very much anymore before he hits the first chicane. I don't know if he is topped out but it is pretty close.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Theoretically a regular mulsanne would lead to them stripping a lot more downforce off the cars. The little engines they run are only around 500hp though, so even with extremely limited topside downforce, they would probably cap out in the 220mph range i would imagine?

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Cygni posted:

Theoretically a regular mulsanne would lead to them stripping a lot more downforce off the cars. The little engines they run are only around 500hp though, so even with extremely limited topside downforce, they would probably cap out in the 220mph range i would imagine?

I doubt they'd remove downforce just because the chicanes were gone, those suckers look flat out through the esses and Porsche curves, I bet that requires more downforce than just simply braking for the chicanes.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Basticle posted:

I doubt they'd remove downforce just because the chicanes were gone, those suckers look flat out through the esses and Porsche curves, I bet that requires more downforce than just simply braking for the chicanes.

Yeah, but it may be better for laptimes to be going 220 down the entire mulsanne (assuming the chicanes were gone) instead of 211 like they do now, but give a little back through the porsche curves. I dunno though, my Lemans setup experience is limited to the lovely sliders in Forza and lots of yelling.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Cygni posted:

Yeah, but it may be better for laptimes to be going 220 down the entire mulsanne (assuming the chicanes were gone) instead of 211 like they do now, but give a little back through the porsche curves. I dunno though, my Lemans setup experience is limited to the lovely sliders in Forza and lots of yelling.

same, OP

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

http://www.racer.com/imsa/item/141493-imsa-honda-dpi-planning-continues

Honda/Penske DPi looks to be pretty well confirmed with Oreca, apparently under construction at the moment, expected to be done at the end of September. May make an appearance at Petite.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
I really wish PCars had a 1989 Le Mans layout so you could VMax just about any car in the game.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

I really wish PCars had a 1989 Le Mans layout so you could VMax just about any car in the game.

The AC version does.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Pretty much every game not project cars does.

JingleBells
Jan 7, 2007

Oh what fun it is to see the Harriers win away!

Got this on something like my second attempt, can't get near it now :(

Magnaflux
Jun 28, 2007

iospace posted:

I do have next week off though to go see Indy at RA. :woop:

If you aren't camping, get there early as hell on Sunday.

I went last year and camped on the inside of turn 8 and by 9 am Sunday they were parking people in my campsite. The parking along the main straight and Sargento bridge section was already full by that time.

It also seemed weird to me that the Mazda support series race cars were louder than the Indy cars.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Magnaflux posted:

I went last year and camped on the inside of turn 8 and by 9 am Sunday they were parking people in my campsite. The parking along the main straight and Sargento bridge section was already full by that time.

It also seemed weird to me that the Mazda support series race cars were louder than the Indy cars.

I'm planning on getting there by like 9 am and staying for the end of the PWC race after.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Magnaflux posted:

If the Mazda lites or whatever they're called are running Renesis engines still, there is nothing short of a jet engine that is louder than an uncorked rotary, since they are always experiencing a constant power stroke.

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

About as successful at Le Mans as Toyota

Magnaflux posted:

Good to know, this is the first time I've gone to RA and not camped. I was already hoping to get up there by 7 for when the gates open, depending on how much fun the party I'm at the night before is.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

This post is me going to sleep for the last time before 9am EDT Sunday

Goodnight, goons.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
Warmup underway!

Then its Porsche Cup, then GT3 LeMans cup, then the big one :toot:

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
61 Porsches into the Dunlop chicane went about as well as expected

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Cygni posted:

It's not aero, it's the engines and hybrids. The hybrid motor usage is capped such that they basically rocket boost the P1s to 190 and then the gasoline engines struggle them to up 205. Kamui's lap I think he topped at 330 kph/roughly 205 mph.

If it was the previous Audi R15/Peugeot 908, they might hit higher top speeds in that hypothetical situation.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Ugh why did this have to be this weekend, I'm going to miss basically all of it. :(

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Are we doing an IRC or Slack or something for LeMans?

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Dudley posted:

Are we doing an IRC or Slack or something for LeMans?

We have a discord.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

When does the stream start in the WEC app?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Yeah I just paid for it and still nothing in my browser on any of the pages. Which one should I be F5ing? Does the Radio Le Mans team control the audio on the WEC feed or will I need to split?

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Shumagorath posted:

Yeah I just paid for it and still nothing in my browser on any of the pages. Which one should I be F5ing? Does the Radio Le Mans team control the audio on the WEC feed or will I need to split?

No, its seperate now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Alright but where on the WEC site should I be trying to get the video? Last year I just took the Ford feed which had Radio as their sound.

• Locked thread